Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

can new japan stop letting their talent do headbutts now

ftfy b/c holy poo poo if Honma comes back he needs to stop doing diving headbutts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

It's not exactly one spot.

I don't remember any other regular Shibata spots that would've resulted in brain damage, at least to Shibata.

Unless I'm misreading this post. I realize that he's used the headbutt in multiple matches, if that's what you're trying to say. It's just one spot in his matches, was my point.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
From what I understand the hospitalization was due to dehydration as much as anything else, although the headbutt probably didn't help.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Venomous posted:

ftfy b/c holy poo poo if Honma comes back he needs to stop doing diving headbutts
Honma is probably 3/4ths of the way to Benoit levels of hosed up. He's already an unapologetic wife beater so it's best if he were to just retire

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Food Court Druid posted:

From what I understand the hospitalization was due to dehydration as much as anything else, although the headbutt probably didn't help.

He cracked his loving head open. Dehydration makes that worse, it's not the reason.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
remind me what the point of a shoot headbutt in a wrestling match is, please

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

DEAR RICHARD posted:

doing the best business ever for the spring showdown, brother.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

DEAR RICHARD posted:

~realism~

it's the wrestling equivalent of method acting, if 'method acting' meant 'bleeding hardway and giving yourself a subdural haematoma'

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The same reason there are chairshots to the head, except less bad because at least you aren't giving a poo poo about yourself or your opponent instead of just your opponent.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
So how was Lions Gate?

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

If you're like me and never skip a young lions match you should watch Lions Gate. It's relatively short and pleasant and I think all those boys have promise. But there's nothing on there that's must see.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jack Anderson posted:

So how was Lions Gate?

It was fine. I wish they weren't hard cam shows because there was a lot of crowd brawling on this show. Kitamura was a beast again in the main event. Syota has some more steps to go, but as a guy with no apparent athletic background he's alright for a fresh lion. It was nice that his dad refereed his first match. AJPW guys looked good. Loved Dinosaur being the pudgy lil' dinosaur. His partner was a poor mans Shibata. The Freedom's guy buried Yoshi-Hashi in chairs on the outside and did a senton on them but again no cameras. The shows are apparently going to be monthly.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

push nakanishi

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

its me glenda posted:

push nakanishi

The gently caress is wrong with you

ThePariah posted:

I don't remember any other regular Shibata spots that would've resulted in brain damage, at least to Shibata.

Unless I'm misreading this post. I realize that he's used the headbutt in multiple matches, if that's what you're trying to say. It's just one spot in his matches, was my point.

Gross headbutts have been part of his matches in the past, including a gross exchange with Ishii. He also did gross headbutts on Goto and Nakajima. It's entirely possibly that the dehydration along with cumulative damage as well as the headbutt itself are why this is it for him.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 18, 2017

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

What's Bone Soldier up to? He hasn't shown up in a while and wasn't really getting booked much before that anyway. Did New Japan finally cut him?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BodyMassageMachine posted:

What's Bone Soldier up to? He hasn't shown up in a while and wasn't really getting booked much before that anyway. Did New Japan finally cut him?

doubtful. I believe he's an office guy for NJPW alongside his jobberly duties.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
i hope billy gunn comes back again
he looked like he was having a great time whenever he was around

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

checksin posted:

i hope billy gunn comes back again
he looked like he was having a great time whenever he was around

BRING BACK BILLY AND CHUCK

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
RIP Boner

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

coconono posted:

doubtful. I believe he's an office guy for NJPW alongside his jobberly duties.

they took him off the roster page, so I think he's done in ring at least

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

they took him off the roster page, so I think he's done in ring at least

Probably for the best. He went from awful with good reactions to awful without. No point after that.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

I swear I don't care that much about Boney, but I'm just curious since I'm a relatively new viewer: was he ever "good?" Like why does he have a job in a roster full of guys who range from "okay/Yoshitatsu" to "Best in the World?" Someone's relative?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

BodyMassageMachine posted:

I swear I don't care that much about Boney, but I'm just curious since I'm a relatively new viewer: was he ever "good?" Like why does he have a job in a roster full of guys who range from "okay/Yoshitatsu" to "Best in the World?" Someone's relative?

NJPW and japanese wrestling in general is very loyal to the guys brought up through their own dojo. Generally have a job for life unless you really gently caress up.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The way NJPW and most other Japanese companies book where the bigger stars don't take the pinfalls while lower card allies normally do. That was Capt. thing for a long time.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, iirc Tanahashi lost all of his matches in the 2012 World Tag League because Captain New Japan took every single pinfall for him. Obviously it didn't matter to Tanahashi because he was in the main event of WK7 anyway, but that's what happened regardless.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DEAR RICHARD posted:

What's the point of BUTTHEADS like you!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

Yeah, iirc Tanahashi lost all of his matches in the 2012 World Tag League because Captain New Japan took every single pinfall for him. Obviously it didn't matter to Tanahashi because he was in the main event of WK7 anyway, but that's what happened regardless.

Didn't matter to him? Who do you think cost Bone Soldier his job? He's been waiting for years to get him back.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

from NJPW's official facebook

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

Baron Corbyn posted:

:stare:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Do they not use dehydration / exhaustion as an official euphemism for coke binges / alcoholism in Japan, because I don't know how you can be athletic for a living and not avoid that level of health-imperiling dehydration. Unless all sorts of people are out there rolling the dice

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

alcoholism is in play

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Do they not use dehydration / exhaustion as an official euphemism for coke binges / alcoholism in Japan, because I don't know how you can be athletic for a living and not avoid that level of health-imperiling dehydration. Unless all sorts of people are out there rolling the dice

Shibata has some abs on him, he probably doesn't hydrate as much as he should before matches to avoid looking bloated.

Headbutts, glamour muscles and chapping. The Shibata story.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 20, 2017

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

drat, that's creepy.

remusclaw posted:

Headbutts, glamour muscles and chapping. The Shibata story.

New thread title.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm not sure how much play Bolivian marching powder gets in contemporary Japan, usually if you hear about people busted for drugs they're just referred to as "stimulants" and I'd imagine they're closer to speed than anything else. "Cutting water weight because muscles" is probably the better thought and closer to the truth to be honest.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Reminder that ARASHI got basically blackballed for weed. NJPW would probably encourage courts to throw the book at somebody caught using blow. I'm sure there are puro guys who do recreational drugs but they're probably in the minority, Japan has a real hardline attitude about hard narcotics and recreational drugs in general. See also: Sydal, Matt.

harperdc posted:

I'm not sure how much play Bolivian marching powder gets in contemporary Japan, usually if you hear about people busted for drugs they're just referred to as "stimulants" and I'd imagine they're closer to speed than anything else. "Cutting water weight because muscles" is probably the better thought and closer to the truth to be honest.

That seems a lot more likely, especially given how shredded Shibata is.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. Shame that guys will risk themselves for a marginally better look, but then, there are many things in wrestling that would haunt a decent person, like shoot headbutts or American Heath care coverage and cost

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Reminder that ARASHI got basically blackballed for weed. NJPW would probably encourage courts to throw the book at somebody caught using blow. I'm sure there are puro guys who do recreational drugs but they're probably in the minority, Japan has a real hardline attitude about hard narcotics and recreational drugs in general. See also: Sydal, Matt.

That seems a lot more likely, especially given how shredded Shibata is.
Io Shirai was almost blackballed because of weed, too. It's what distanced her away from Asuka & Mio Shirai which eventually lead to her career taking off in STARDOM though, so god bless NOSAWA I guess

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

can we really blame nosawa when he was quite literally framed for the crime by el blazer for a contract in aaa

oatgan fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 21, 2017

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

oatgan posted:

quite literally framed

that was for sure my favorite story of whatever year. they loved those paintings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

oatgan posted:

can we really blame nosawa when he was quite literally framed for the crime by el blazer for a contract in aaa
She was shunned by her sister and Asuka because of NOSAWA before the weed drama even happened tho

• Locked thread