Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

call to action posted:

Give me a break, the push for prosecuting Wall Street crooks and bank/mortgage reform was at least as hard as the push for an EPA, at least to my reading of the primary sources of the time. Obama didn't do and Clinton wouldn't either.

Yeah, but Nixon also had the luxury of a considerably less-politically-tribal country. What was possible then is not possible now unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Hello Massachusetts buddy. I agree the dem party of Massachusetts are useless, with some dems floating amendments to the bill ranging from contradictory (six plants but only two ounces of flower per household), to pure "what the gently caress" such as raising the legal age to 25 for cannabis products.

If you want to get involved in fixing the BadDem situation in MA I've been working hard at it and it's always nice to have more goons on board. We're currently trying to destroy the state party establishment which is chock full of unelected BadDems that can't be removed without literally amending the party charter.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/4/19/15351888/panera-bread-ossoff

quote:

Top Democratic strategist Brian Fallon thinks Ossoff’s strong showing is a sign of the kind of Republican House seat that the party has the best chance to flip. Hillary Clinton’s press secretary during the presidential campaign, Fallon even coined a term for the strategy, arguing that Democrats’ path to the House “runs through the Panera Breads of America” in districts like Ossoff’s:

Even if he doesn't hit 50 tonight, Ossoff is showing us the path to retaking the House. It runs through the Panera Breads of America.
— Brian Fallon (@brianefallon) April 19, 2017

Fallon’s argument is that the most winnable districts for House Democrats are those that largely fit the profile of the Georgia Sixth — suburban, affluent, and full of voters who may be traditionally Republican but who voted against Donald Trump this fall. (Clinton only lost Ossoff’s district by one point.)
:thermidor:

There is no power-sharing with centrists.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

how can we increase our share of votes? let's target the 1%!

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

it's a good position too

but this is the thread about dems, not the corbyn thread so please go to one of the uk threads if u wanna argue about corbyn being bad

I don't know much about Corbyn, or U.K. politics. It is curious that when centrists talk poo poo about a leftist party leader, that's unconscionable backstabbing. But when leftists talk poo poo about a centrist party leader, don't you dare suggest they owe the party their votes or try to stifle their dissent.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

So you don't want people to vote for Ossof? I literally don't understand how you could possibly be upset by the idea that they want R's that didn't vote for trump to vote for a D candidate. That's how you win R+ Districts....

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Hello Massachusetts buddy. I agree the dem party of Massachusetts are useless, with some dems floating amendments to the bill ranging from contradictory (six plants but only two ounces of flower per household), to pure "what the gently caress" such as raising the legal age to 25 for cannabis products.

I'm pretty sure there's some science behind this, even if it doesn't fit into our normal scheme of adulthood rights.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

It's like you want to the HFC of the left.

Woops, two pages open at the same time. I am chagrined.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

I don't know much about Corbyn, or U.K. politics. It is curious that when centrists talk poo poo about a leftist party leader, that's unconscionable backstabbing. But when leftists talk poo poo about a centrist party leader, don't you dare suggest they owe the party their votes or try to stifle their dissent.

this is the thread about democrats. please post in the uk thread if you wanna argue about corbyn, thanks.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm pretty sure there's some science behind this

lol this takes the cake for the weakest attempt at appealing to authority yet in this thread

"surely there must have been science involved!"

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

Maybe there's a difference between a leftist candidate for the leadership winning on a wave of popular support, then being pilloried by establishment Blairites even to the detriment of their own drat party, and a Blairite winning the leadership as though it's their birthright and doing nothing for their constituency despite insisting they're owed the votes.

Serious question: have you considered defecting to the GOP? You'd do better as a moderating influence in that party that you would constantly trying to drag the Dems to the right and even more in thrall to the 1%.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kilroy posted:

Maybe there's a difference between a leftist candidate for the leadership winning on a wave of popular support, then being pilloried by establishment Blairites even to the detriment of their own drat party, and a Blairite winning the leadership as though it's their birthright and doing nothing for their constituency despite insisting they're owed the votes.

Serious question: have you considered defecting to the GOP? You'd do better as a moderating influence in that party that you would constantly trying to drag the Dems to the right and even more in thrall to the 1%.

please argue about corbyn in the uk thread

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm pretty sure there's some science behind this, even if it doesn't fit into our normal scheme of adulthood rights.

The "science" would be that the human brain typically stops developing at around 25, so therefore marijuana must be particularly dangerous before you hit 25.

But not alcohol, because lol this is such a stupid loving country.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Nevvy Z posted:

Uh, yes? Obviously, yes I do. I would very much like some kick-rear end-and-take-names leftists in the House. Perhaps not "uncompromising" as such, but at least the sort who insist on concessions before they compromise.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

So you don't want people to vote for Ossof? I literally don't understand how you could possibly be upset by the idea that they want R's that didn't vote for trump to vote for a D candidate. That's how you win R+ Districts....
I wanted people to vote for Ossoff and I would have voted for him if I lived in GA-06. However, it is pretty easy to draw comparisons between GA-06 and the general election: wide open field on the GOP side with several candidates having a realistic shot, one anointed candidate on the Dem side and gently caress you if you don't vote for them. And the Dem candidate is also pretty well-connected to the national Democrats, and is being supported to the detriment of other races. And, in the end the Republican is probably going to win in the runoff anyway.

This indicates the Democrats haven't learned much. And they appear to be abandoning a fifty-state strategy, without which they won't win the House, and will seriously harm their chances of defeating Trump in 2020.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Yes, God forbid there be a group of Dems that pushes the party more in-line with its voter base. (and more in-line with what most American voters want)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Condiv posted:

how can we increase our share of votes? let's target the 1%!

Eliminating the 1% isn't about increasing votes, it's about the changing the mouthpieces dictating the direction of economic and social policy.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

this is the thread about democrats. please post in the uk thread if you wanna argue about corbyn, thanks.

I am talking about the democrats.

Corbyn wins leadership election. Some centrists poo poo the bed and tear into him, tanking his popularity. He was backstabbed.

Clinton wins primary. Some leftists poo poo the bed and tear into her, hurting her popularity. Nothing to see here.

Personally I think making GBS threads on your own party leaders is self-destructive whether from the left or the center but that's obviously not your position.

Kilroy posted:

I'm pretty sure the difference is that the Labor electorate that chose Corbyn is tiny compared to the Democrat electorate that chose Clinton.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

Yes, although that would just be a start. The objective would be to get liars like you to vote GOP. Also :lol Jefferson Clay comparing people staying home because CLinton was uninspiring to Labour leadership attempting to mount a coup on their leader for not being a filthy blairite. I mean if Sander's had say tried to have his supporters prevent the Presidential convention from going on this might be comparable. But he didn't in fact unlike those labour traitors who spend their days going on British Television calling COrbyn unfit and claiming that everyone who voted for him (Over a million) are Commie entryists Sanders went on the campaign trail for Hillary. MUch of the time to the places she chose to never go to. But a sociopath like CLay needs this to validate being a sociopath.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 20, 2017

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

He says it has effectively been a test bed for the blue state model of governance and has produced an outcome that serves as a microcosm of national Democratic governance and it's outcomes.

More specifically he is referring to the orthodox Dem desire for a highly educated "innovator" class that lives and works in a well developed metropolitan area guiding the party, with the state level policy focus being primarily on them. Predictably, this has caused lots of development in and around Boston with accessory benefits to locals, but with much of the state rotting away by comparison.

On paper we look great, but once you look outside of Boston and some wealthy bedroom communities things aren't going so well. He specifically mentions Fall River as an example of this contrast, and oh boy was he right on that one.

Worse yet Frank seems to identify the population of Mass as a captive audience, things are largely Democratic with the occasional Republican surge but as far as ability to set policy there isn't that much in the way of the Dems beyond the leadership itself and problems of their own making. And still they usually can't manage.

That's interesting and yeah I think you did this reproduced else where where even Republicans can contest the state like New York that had cultivated New York City and left the rest of the state to rot and decay

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

"You know those people who have dragged the nation kicking and screaming towards their ideology for the last eight years despite being a tiny fraction of the political world? Who can hold any legislation in this country hostage to their demands?"

"I bet you wish you had that kind of power, you disgusting lefties"

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I mean, how the GOP interacts with its constituency is miles better than what the Democrats do. They're starting to reverse course on that I think after all the antagonistic town halls, but this is going to be to their detriment. Ghoulish policy goals aside, the Democrats would do well to copy parts of the GOP playbook for putting together a winning coalition and creating an enthusiastic base. So far what they're doing instead is "this is the candidate we want you to vote for, now go vote for them" which hasn't worked in the past and isn't going to start working just because Trump is President. They'll pick up seats off the back of his unpopularity, but they're not going to crush it like they should.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Majorian posted:

That is literally the most infuriating thing I've ever from the entire election.

"Our message on the economy is absolute poo poo, so CLEARLY the way to deal with that is to make sure that nobody in the Rust Belt knows that!:downs:"

Honestly that book could have ended after its first chapter, in which the entire Clinton campaign tries and fails to come up with an answer to the basic question of "so why are you running at all".

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

Personally I think making GBS threads on your own party leaders is self-destructive whether from the left or the center but that's obviously not your position.

Hillary Clinton was not a leader of the Democratic party. She was a hang-on do-nothing win-nothing loser. The only thing she led was her campaign staff into disaster.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

If you want to get involved in fixing the BadDem situation in MA I've been working hard at it and it's always nice to have more goons on board. We're currently trying to destroy the state party establishment which is chock full of unelected BadDems that can't be removed without literally amending the party charter.

Yes I'd be willing to help however I can. I have some experience in municipal government, for whatever it is worth which isn't much considering the horror show it tends to be.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

Hillary Clinton was not a leader of the Democratic party. She was a hang-on do-nothing win-nothing loser. The only thing she led was her campaign staff into disaster.

She won the primary dude, are you still in denial? She's not the leader now but she sure was 6 months ago.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

Clinton wins primary. Some leftists poo poo the bed and tear into her, hurting her popularity. Nothing to see here.

That's idiotic and you know it. Sanders' criticisms of Clinton were mild at most, and Trump would have made those same criticisms himself anyway. He was beating the right-wing economic populist drum long before the primaries even started.

JeffersonClay posted:

She won the primary dude, are you still in denial? She's not the leader now but she sure was 6 months ago.

He's using "leader" to mean "someone who actually leads," not "someone who winds up in the position that should be leading."

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

"You know those people who have dragged the nation kicking and screaming towards their ideology for the last eight years despite being a tiny fraction of the political world? Who can hold any legislation in this country hostage to their demands?"

"I bet you wish you had that kind of power, you disgusting lefties"

Unironically this. Leftists don't get a pass on it just because I agree with them on things.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

Winning the presidential primary (by cheating!) doesn't make you king of the democrats, it means you sabotaged your own party to put Trump in office. Hard to really call that leadership.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Unironically this. Leftists don't get a pass on it just because I agree with them on things.

What you're missing is that leftist policy prescriptions are much more popular among voters than centrist ones, to say nothing of rightist ones.

That's the biggest problem that the HFC poses for the Republicans: no one besides their narrow constituencies actually like their ideas.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Winning the presidential primary (by cheating!)

I agree with everything else you're saying, but don't do this, dude. It's complete horseshit.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Someone who genuinely believes seeking to accomplish your political goals is morally suspect.

Well, it explains the Hillary support, at any rate.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

I agree with everything else you're saying, but don't do this, dude. It's complete horseshit.

It's actually not, she broke the rules multiple times and got away with it. Might not have changed the result but she still cheated.

If you want to look the other way because "it wasn't that bad" feel free, Trump thank you.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

It's actually not, she broke the rules multiple times and got away with it. Might not have changed the result but she still cheated.

You literally said she won it by cheating:

NewForumSoftware posted:

Winning the presidential primary (by cheating!)

Saying dumb things like this makes the argument that we're all trying to make look dumb.

e: You know how annoying it is when Clintonistas handwave away the shittiness of her campaign and candidacy by blaming Comey and the Russians? What you're doing is the pro-Sanders version of that. Clinton won among black and Latino voters overwhelmingly for more reasons than just "cheating," and leftists need to keep working on their pitch if they want to win those demographics in the future.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 20, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

That's idiotic and you know it. Sanders' criticisms of Clinton were mild at most, and Trump would have made those same criticisms himself anyway. He was beating the right-wing economic populist drum long before the primaries even started.

The labor backstabbers weren't making any arguments against Corbyn that the Tories hadn't already made. Suggesting a candidate is in thrall to Wall Street and cannot be trusted is not a mild criticism.

quote:

He's using "leader" to mean "someone who actually leads," not "someone who winds up in the position that should be leading."

Ok then he's willfully misunderstanding how I was using the term leader. Corbyn and Clinton were both the person their party chose to become chief executive if they won the election.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

You literally said she won it by cheating:

She did. The results of the votes are irrelevant, she cheated, broke the rules, and the party did nothing.

She won the primary, she cheated. Really as simple as that. If she didn't need to cheat, she probably wouldn't have (although given how stupid she is it's really hard to say)

JeffersonClay posted:

Ok then he's willfully misunderstanding how I was using the term leader. Corbyn and Clinton were both the person their party chose to become chief executive if they won the election.

Cobryn and Clinton are in completely different situations and UK politics is not US politics. She was never the leader of the Democratic party and never will be. get over it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

The labor backstabbers weren't making any arguments against Corbyn that the Tories hadn't already made. Suggesting a candidate is in thrall to Wall Street and cannot be trusted is not a mild criticism.

It was a criticism that Clinton left herself incredibly open to, and you're deluded if you think Trump wouldn't have made the same criticisms of Clinton if Sanders hadn't.

If you want the Democrats to win the presidency again, you need to stop playing the apologist for candidates who shoot themselves in the foot this blatantly. Otherwise, it's difficult to view you as arguing in anything other than bad faith.

quote:

Ok then he's willfully misunderstanding how I was using the term leader.

It was a turn-of-phrase, intended to show you where Clinton failed as a leader. Apparently that went way over your head.

NewForumSoftware posted:

She did. The results of the votes are irrelevant, she cheated, broke the rules, and the party did nothing.

When you say she "won by cheating," it implies that she would not have won, had she not cheated. This is simply not the case.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

It was a criticism that Clinton left herself incredibly open to, and you're deluded if you think Trump wouldn't have made the same criticisms of Clinton if Sanders hadn't.

He called her "Crooked Hillary" constantly.

E: VVV No one in here is a "tankie" you loving moron.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 20, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

Saying dumb things like this makes the argument that we're all trying to make look dumb.

The arguments being made here ARE dumb. There isn't discourse here that leads to anything other than tankies getting mad that they don't have full communism now. When you find yourself on the same side of an argument as people like NewForumSoftware, maybe you should stop and think if you are on the right side.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The arguments being made here ARE dumb. There isn't discourse here that leads to anything other than tankies getting mad that they don't have full communism now. When you find yourself on the same side of an argument as people like NewForumSoftware, maybe you should stop and think if you are on the right side.

i don't think i've actually seen someone in this thread advocate for full communism now

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes, I want Full Communism now, not a Democrat who's actually willing to fight to make the country a better place for all of it's citizens.

A tankie wouldn't have voted for Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The arguments being made here ARE dumb.

Do tell. What's incorrect/dumb about our assessment that a return to Democratic principles of left-wing economic populism will be a necessary component to a Democratic victory in 2018 and 2020?

quote:

When you find yourself on the same side of an argument as people like NewForumSoftware, maybe you should stop and think if you are on the right side.

Glass houses, bro.

• Locked thread