Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

jBrereton posted:

It doesn't sound authentic from an old, anti-American, academic British guy.

Yeah you definitely need to be a billionaire for it to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's not surprising Labour's doing so badly in the polls, when you think about it.

New Labour was massively successful from 1997 onwards but that all came crashing to an end with the 2008 financial crisis. After that Labour dithered around timidly and indecisively for 7 years, aware that the world had changed but unable to articulate a coherent response to it. Since 2015, of course, Labour's been bitterly fighting among itself and hasn't even been able to present a united front, let alone articulate radical new policies.

Amazing there's anyone left voting for them at all, really.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Hmm less than seven weeks to go until we find out if Jabby is right that Corbyn is, in fact, not a clown.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Trump is older than Corbyn, and is a billionaire businessman. It seems like you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's not surprising Labour's doing so badly in the polls, when you think about it.

New Labour was massively successful from 1997 onwards but that all came crashing to an end with the 2008 financial crisis. After that Labour dithered around timidly and indecisively for 7 years, aware that the world had changed but unable to articulate a coherent response to it.
Have you already forgotten the pretty good policies in the aftermath of the crash with the FJF and childcare reforms to help people back into the workforce?

End of New Labour was some hanging around with the fonz and weeping about Jade Goody bollocks but there was a good policy base there.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Trump is older than Corbyn, and is a billionaire businessman. It seems like you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

I'm complaining because labour is heading for its worst election result since world war 2 and you think it's a good thing.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Corbyn is not an academic in any sense

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I'm complaining because labour is heading for its worst election result since world war 2 and you think it's a good thing.

What made you think I was talking to you? If you ever go five minutes without complaining about Corbyn it's gonna be grounds for a police welfare check.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

What made you think I was talking to you? If you ever go five minutes without complaining about Corbyn it's gonna be grounds for a police welfare check.

It's a public forum chief if you want private messaging hit the PM button.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

Trump is a yank who gets to use their words by default, however absurdly.

Someone has told Jer' to say "rigged" because people think that he can Be Trumpy and that's the path to success, which is weird.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Hang on we don't have to wait seven weeks do we. There's an election in two weeks and we'll find out then if the polls are all wrong.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Baron Corbyn posted:

Corbyn is not an academic in any sense
Picking a fight with your polytechnic tutor over the worthiness of their course and getting kicked out is Peak Academic.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

jBrereton posted:

The only time a "rigged system" should be brought up in UK politics is if the candidates are holding a debate on the Cutty Sark. Otherwise it sounds like something you've chored off an American, which it is.

Eh, "rig (n.) "a trick, swindle, scheme" (1775), earlier "sport, banter, ridicule" (1725), of unknown origin."
source
So that would be a pre-Independence American AKA British colonist then?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Capitalism is rigged and I think jez is right about it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EmptyVessel posted:

Eh, "rig (n.) "a trick, swindle, scheme" (1775), earlier "sport, banter, ridicule" (1725), of unknown origin."
source
So that would be a pre-Independence American AKA British colonist then?

Jesus.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Yes, my child?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

jBrereton posted:

Someone has told Jer' to say "rigged" because people think that he can Be Trumpy and that's the path to success, which is weird.

This is just a bizarre view of things

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

J_RBG posted:

This is just a bizarre view of things
Feel free to educate me on where I'm going wrong here because that is how it looks to me.

Someone has thought "why don't we transpose the insurgent campaign methology of Trump onto Jer' to mobilise the vote of hacked off working class people, which UKIP has for now" without considering how completely different those people are and thus why it wouldn't work.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pissflaps posted:

Labour confirming that they're a hard Brexit party is not good news.

I hate to say it but I agree with 'flaps here.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Pissflaps posted:

Labour confirming that they're a hard Brexit party is not good news.

That's odd, because the blog says one thing, but Labour's statement says they are for full market access, which sounds like soft Brexit. Hmm, who do we believe? A Labour statement or a pro Tory blog? Tricky...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jBrereton posted:

Feel free to educate me on where I'm going wrong here because that is how it looks to me.

Someone has thought "why don't we transpose the insurgent campaign methology of Trump onto Jer' to mobilise the vote of hacked off working class people, which UKIP has for now" without considering how completely different those people are and thus why it wouldn't work.

Whether that's the thinking or not I still think he's right about it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

blowfish posted:

I hate to say it but I agree with 'flaps here.

They aren't a hard Brexit party though, they want to keep market access and worker protections so they're lining up for soft Brexit.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Dave Anderson, the current shadow Scotland and NI secretary, is not seeking reelection

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jBrereton posted:

Of all the stupid poo poo that people have gone on about in UKMT over the years, this stands out as really stupid.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Of all the stupid poo poo that people have gone on about in UKMT over the years, this stands out as really stupid.

Yeah that's right up there with "Tory-labour coalition is more likely than tory-libdem". Jesus.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OzyMandrill posted:

That's odd, because the blog says one thing, but Labour's statement says they are for full market access, which sounds like soft Brexit. Hmm, who do we believe? A Labour statement or a pro Tory blog? Tricky...

Check this out:

Every county in the world has 'full market access' except Russia and North Korea. It's an utterly, utterly meaningless statement.

Edit: probably Syria too.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 20, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Whether that's the thinking or not I still think he's right about it.
I don't disagree with the idea that things are stacked against workers. I just think that "rigged" is odd terminology for Corbyn and Labour to use. Same as "a hand up not a hand out" was for Blair. Doesn't chime with how most Brits talk.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also the Tories continue to play for time in Northern Ireland, the emergency legislation to set the regional rate to facilitate local rates collections has a clause tacked on to extend the timeframe granted by the St Andrews agreement for the appointment of a first minister - meaning Brokenshire gets to fob off making a decision about another election for some time.

Now saying the early may deadline has been scrapped and another new deadline of the end of June has been introduced.

So its another two months of vague limbo

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

jBrereton posted:

I don't disagree with the idea that things are stacked against workers. I just think that "rigged" is odd terminology for Corbyn and Labour to use. Same as "a hand up not a hand out" was for Blair. Doesn't chime with how most Brits talk.

loving man-in-the-pub level analysis

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Does anyone have a picture of Jeremy Corbyn in a train toilet?

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
That is a very specific fetish.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Does anyone have a picture of Jeremy Corbyn in a train toilet?

(the DAILY MIRROR is responsible for this image, full credits to their 'tog')

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jBrereton posted:

Most brits speak enough stupid regional dialects that I don't think there's any sort of reasonable standard for how most of them talk.

Sounds fine to me, the game's rigged.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Not sure if how British it is or not but it sounds weak as piss.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

It's a public forum chief if you want private messaging hit the PM button.

I've seen the quality of ur pms mate. You don't even have a sig.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
"It's rigged" is perfectly normal speech. You're clutching at straws to defend the tories.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I know you guys like to criticise Corbyn over really inane stuff but saying a perfectly common english idiom is "unbritish" is way too much.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Apparently journos are pleased with Corb's speech and the fact he took questions afterwards. Could be worse.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Inane stuff like 'heading for the worst election result in living memory' you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012
At least on election night Pissflaps posting should slow a little as he'll only have one hand free.

• Locked thread