Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

silvergoose posted:

How do gems get above 20, anyway?

Vaaling a gem has a chance to change its level by 1, up or down. So a level 20 gem can become 21 or 19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

NPR Journalizard posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Donincognito/characters

Can I get a quick critique of DonPunchy please. Im at a stage where I dont know what piece of gear to upgrade next, and where I should be going on on the skill tree. Im sort of angling towards more jewel slots for flexibility, but I have recently been in some runs where everyone was doing a shitload more damage than me. Plus more defense never really hurts. Im hanging around t8-t10 maps, because I seem to get hurt a lot if I go much higher.

I hate the shield, I think Deep Ones Hide is better, or a big fuckoff armor door with life and res. Better/Legacy Facebreakers, Meginords obv. More life on boots. I think Rodent went to 90+ using Bringer of Rain instead of Abyssus, maybe try that out? Although he went Punch Totems, not Infernal Blow. The Reduced Mana is :shobon: as gently caress tho. But def get a Totem to punch stuff and draw aggro.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Agreed, I couldn't parse if the "headhunter" belt is actually a good item or not based on my 112 hours of play. Mainly because it seems like rare monsters drop just as easy as anything else 90 % of the time. Why would gaining their powers help me? I still don't understand why it is so good, even knowing how covetous it is.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Watch a headhunter race sometime (or better yet, join in on the next one)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

Agreed, I couldn't parse if the "headhunter" belt is actually a good item or not based on my 112 hours of play. Mainly because it seems like rare monsters drop just as easy as anything else 90 % of the time. Why would gaining their powers help me? I still don't understand why it is so good, even knowing how covetous it is.

Do you read the buffs rare monsters get? Like if you are literate you should understand headhunter is good. "I get to absorb powers like powerful crits, elemental resist, haste, etc etc?? Sweet!!". Having read his follow up where he thought a mirror was an alch makes more sense I guess. However there is usually more then one headhunter up and it's around 80ex if not a mirror. But just lol, goons never cease to amaze me.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Yea, how do you find that out in-game? Like if you see a Rare monster who is "SOUL CONDUIT", how do you parse what that does? It didn't seem to help him at all. I'm not the sort of person who then goes into a load of wiki articles to find out the nitty gritty of a monsters stats so yea how do I know. Getting its mods for 20 seconds doesn't really seem like a long time either, though I suppose you can then chain them if there are sufficient rare monsters around.

Making a jump from.. doesn't pay a lot of attention to the finer mechanics in a game leading to the misunderstanding of an items subjective worth to "GOONS ARE ILLITERATE" is a bit much.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Holyshoot posted:

Do you read the buffs rare monsters get? Like if you are literate you should understand headhunter is good. "I get to absorb powers like powerful crits, elemental resist, haste, etc etc?? Sweet!!". Having read his follow up where he thought a mirror was an alch makes more sense I guess. However there is usually more then one headhunter up and it's around 80ex if not a mirror. But just lol, goons never cease to amaze me.

I am literate (I think) and I don't read buffs on rares very often at all because 99% of the time I'm using a skill that is blowing everything on screen up and I'm looking at what drops. I've been playing for a few leagues and I just recently stopped and read what some of the purple effects are even called.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Maybe when the monster grows to three times its size and attacks five times as fast

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Hilariously I have just read about this item on a wiki and it turns out it doesn't even work with the mods I thought it would do with. So it doesn't even work the way the game suggests it would. Nowhere in-game does it tell you this, thus how you are supposed to extract its worth without consulting a wiki I don't know..

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

mitochondritom posted:

Hilariously I have just read about this item on a wiki and it turns out it doesn't even work with the mods I thought it would do with. So it doesn't even work the way the game suggests it would. Nowhere in-game does it tell you this, thus how you are supposed to extract its worth without consulting a wiki I don't know..

How do you mean?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Maybe if you play poe in a complete vacuum

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

mitochondritom posted:

what no it works exactly like it says?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Guys, it's not like POE is very user friendly. It's dense as gently caress, not very much is explained well, and having to look every little thing up on the wiki is daunting for a new player. I just started playing this league and I had to ask why headhunters and skyforth was so sought after, even after checking the wiki.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I didn't really understand the power of headhunter until I saw it in use. If you're a new player and just look at the stats, it really doesn't look that amazing at all.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So I'm currently at level 52 working towards my RF build, but my DPS sucks at the moment due to heavily investing in life/regen nodes for once I can equip Rise of the Phoenix. I'm currently using a 2her with Sunder/Earthquake and Ancestral Warchief. Any other recommendations for better clear speed over the next 15 levels?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

BitterAvatar posted:

So I'm currently at level 52 working towards my RF build, but my DPS sucks at the moment due to heavily investing in life/regen nodes for once I can equip Rise of the Phoenix. I'm currently using a 2her with Sunder/Earthquake and Ancestral Warchief. Any other recommendations for better clear speed over the next 15 levels?

If you have fire damage nodes, try firestorm

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

BitterAvatar posted:

put passive points into easily accessible damage nodes and then swap out later. RF's passive tree is notoriously lovely until you can actually sustain the full build, so there's no need to punish yourself excessively when there's 20 respec points throughout the three difficulties to work with.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
I did SR-CWC-Firestorm and it was okay. You might also be able to maintain RF if you've got purity of fire + vitality + stone golem + ruby flask

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

TheRat posted:

I didn't really understand the power of headhunter until I saw it in use. If you're a new player and just look at the stats, it really doesn't look that amazing at all.

Same here when I first saw it. The only thing that really stood out to was the damage to rare monsters, and the lack of resists on it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bugsy posted:

Same here when I first saw it. The only thing that really stood out to was the damage to rare monsters, and the lack of resists on it.

Thirded. I thought it looked like a fun novelty item, and honestly for most people that's what it would be. Only players who are really invested into the clearspeed meta with max rolled maps get maximum utility from it. And while that segment of players may be well represented here, it's far from the majority of players.

The average player, the one who isn't clearing shaped stands in 45 seconds, would be better served by a high life/es, high resist belt with phys or ele dmg.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Nah, Headhunter is good for any player that likes fun. If you haven't yet, use a Thief's Nemesis league stone for mini-headhunter.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
All this talk about the headhunter has me curious about something. What is the best thing to use chance orbs on? Is it solider boots, leather belts, oculist vest, etc? I know the percentage is low of getting a good rare or even a unique but just curious what I should be picking up and chancing.

Thanks!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Fixit posted:

All this talk about the headhunter has me curious about something. What is the best thing to use chance orbs on? Is it solider boots, leather belts, oculist vest, etc? I know the percentage is low of getting a good rare or even a unique but just curious what I should be picking up and chancing.

Thanks!

Conjuror Boots

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Conjurer boots for Skyforth, and leather belts for HH if you're in a nemesis zone. Otherwise the rarity isn't worth it unless you love gambling and even then you should just buy div cards or keys to gamble with

edit: oops i mean sorc boots im a baddie

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's sorcerer boots.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sorcerer_Boots

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Sorcerer boots, not conj

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah, don't chance conjurer boots
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Skyforth

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

regulargonzalez posted:

Conjuror Boots

are you sure its conjuror boots? I've only ever heard that you should do Sorcerer boots, and the wiki says that Skyforths are unique sorcerer boots.

Edit: thats what I get for not refreshing. gently caress.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Gotta get dem rainbowstrides

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Has anyone actually quantified what the odds are for chancing a skyforth? At current prices it's breakeven of expected value at about 1/16000, and I'm sure it's better than that, but as someone who doesn't play all that much I'm suspecting I might be better off not bothering to buy that lottery ticket and save myself some disappointment by going for lower-payoff, easier things.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

Has anyone actually quantified what the odds are for chancing a skyforth? At current prices it's breakeven of expected value at about 1/16000, and I'm sure it's better than that, but as someone who doesn't play all that much I'm suspecting I might be better off not bothering to buy that lottery ticket and save myself some disappointment by going for lower-payoff, easier things.

This is what I am wondering. Is it worth spending the time picking them up and chancing them or just powering through maps.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's around 1/8k give or take a few thousand. The variance will be massive too.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
saving chance orbs won't make you rich and the one league you get skyforths in you'll be set from there on out

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

TheRat posted:

It's around 1/8k give or take a few thousand. The variance will be massive too.

Thanks.

I suspect that pushes it to "not worth the bother for me". Although on the other hand a skyforth is worth significantly more than everything else I have put together....

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
When is the best time to start using silver coins for the prophecies?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Stangg posted:

Merciless, IMO

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
headhunter is both the best item in the game and the most fun item in the game

hope this clears up any confusion anyone might have had

Stangg posted:

As soon as you start mapping, in my opinion.

Once you get down what prophecies are good, along with where and how they spawn, and how to quickly dump bad ones, it can be extremely profitable to do, especially considering how cheap silver coins are to buy.

pokchu fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 20, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Can you give a brief overview? All I know about prophecies is you use silver coins and sometimes they happen and that's it, I don't even know what the result does.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Here's a whole prophecy farming guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11A37kJYKN60ilObecicGOpk-kbaueKGWrsLWA_FOldA/edit

But you can look up what each prophecy is here: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Prophecy
And heres the list of how much prophecies are currently worth (if you seal them and list them): http://poe.ninja/challenge/prophecies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

pokchu posted:

Here's a whole prophecy farming guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11A37kJYKN60ilObecicGOpk-kbaueKGWrsLWA_FOldA/edit

But you can look up what each prophecy is here: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Prophecy
And heres the list of how much prophecies are currently worth (if you seal them and list them): http://poe.ninja/challenge/prophecies

I...okay it sounds like if I don't want to futz around with it, I should just use coins and try to accomplish everything unless it's really sucky in which case seal it and get rid of it?

• Locked thread