Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

pokchu posted:

headhunter is both the best item in the game and the most fun item in the game

hope this clears up any confusion anyone might have had

As soon as you start mapping, in my opinion.

Once you get down what prophecies are good, along with where and how they spawn, and how to quickly dump bad ones, it can be extremely profitable to do, especially considering how cheap silver coins are to buy.

However having played with it on a poo poo slow clear speed build (EQ malahori) it isn't worth the price imo unless you have a super fast clearing build. If you however get one chancing or someway far cheaper then go hog wild. Or sell and make a crazy fast clear build and re-save for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

silvergoose posted:

I...okay it sounds like if I don't want to futz around with it, I should just use coins and try to accomplish everything unless it's really sucky in which case seal it and get rid of it?

If it's valuable, seal it and sell it. You won't make enough back off of something like the multiple Stringbox prophecy to beat what someone running T16s will pay you for it.

If it's crappy ones, just run them. It's more fun than wasting coins on sealing if you're just starting out. If you really hate one, or get one that you just can't do, then you should consider sealing just to get rid of it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Devor posted:

If it's valuable, seal it and sell it. You won't make enough back off of something like the multiple Stringbox prophecy to beat what someone running T16s will pay you for it.

If it's crappy ones, just run them. It's more fun than wasting coins on sealing if you're just starting out. If you really hate one, or get one that you just can't do, then you should consider sealing just to get rid of it.

Yeah but not having ever traded anything, I'm more inclined to just ignore the concept until I no longer can. :v:

I guess I'll be on the lookout for the really profitable ones.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

silvergoose posted:

I...okay it sounds like if I don't want to futz around with it, I should just use coins and try to accomplish everything unless it's really sucky in which case seal it and get rid of it?

Pretty much. If the text on the right side of the screen appears, it means the prophecy is "used" and yo udont have to complete it. So you can trigger prophecies, then be done with them. Basically you're trying to get map-based ones a bunch, or ones on the poe.ninja list that you can seal and sell for cash. It becomes profitable when you get into a groove and can blow through tons of prophecies per hour or whatever

Devor posted:

you dont even have to "run" the crappy ones, you can literally just trigger them in random zones/lovely maps, and then go back to your hideout

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Or when you roll up a fated connections like it's no big deal

I still can't believe that I sold mine this league for more than it would take to buy 1500 fuse by a fairly wide margin

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Oh, another important piece of advice is this: try to never, ever finish stage 1 of a prophecy chain you don't intend to complete. If you dont complete stage 1, it's much less likely to come back than if you had not completed other stages. The Non-stage 1s are weighted to be very common

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
How much does it cost to make a shaped strand viable vaal fireball character? I've got 17ex burning a hole in my pocket and want to make one more character before beta

e: I figure base expensive stuff is going to be:

6L Vaal Regalia
Insanity Gloves
Death's Door
Vinktar
Dying Sun
Kiara's
Spell Damage/Crit Shield
Crystal Belt
Sac Harvests

Am I missing anything?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

essence of horror hubris with shield charge attack speed?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're going to be using a shield, go with a Skin of the Loyal for your chest. The +gems you get is insanity - with a level 4 empower + level 21 spell gem, you have a level 26 spell. It's loving bonkers for any spell based build.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Awesome! posted:

essence of horror hubris with shield charge attack speed?

i guess i can do more lab runs to just get one of these: http://poe.trade/search/ohakikamamikuk

Vasudus posted:

If you're going to be using a shield, go with a Skin of the Loyal for your chest. The +gems you get is insanity - with a level 4 empower + level 21 spell gem, you have a level 26 spell. It's loving bonkers for any spell based build.

If VFB plays anything like vspark, I'm betting damage won't be the issue - it'll likely just be limited by how fast shield charge goes.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Whitest_Russian/characters

Should I do anything for the Autistic_Screaching HOWA build besides get Vinktars? I feel like I'm really lacking damage.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Mr. Despair posted:

I still can't believe that I sold mine this league for more than it would take to buy 1500 fuse by a fairly wide margin

I had to check poe.trade and well, the cheapest one up now is 6ex. At roughly 94c to an ex that's 564c. Fusings are 3 for 1c. So 1692 fusings. That's the CHEAPEST one. Next one is 700c. :wtc:

I mean, technically they'll save having to 6s it first, but 350 jewellers is less than 30c (so 90 fusings), meaning you're still paying the price of over 1600 fusings for something that'll take 1500 fusings at Vorici.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
I tried a variation of the dyadus/molten strike build linked a few pages ago. Inquisitor instead of berserker with regen and regular leech in place of instant leech but otherwise comparable dps and life pool. It's pretty good. The damage for single targets is nice, clear speed is middling at best which you'd expect for MS. Definitely worthwhile to switch to sunder outside of big boss fights.

Has enough juice to kill guardians and shaper but the defenses are pretty lacking unless you make sure to constantly have leech running. It's cool but I don't think I'd want to run it for hardcore.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Valle posted:

I had to check poe.trade and well, the cheapest one up now is 6ex. At roughly 94c to an ex that's 564c. Fusings are 3 for 1c. So 1692 fusings. That's the CHEAPEST one. Next one is 700c. :wtc:

I mean, technically they'll save having to 6s it first, but 350 jewellers is less than 30c (so 90 fusings), meaning you're still paying the price of over 1600 fusings for something that'll take 1500 fusings at Vorici.

paying for the convenience of not having to buy all those loving fusings

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Whitest Russian posted:

Should I do anything for the Autistic_Screaching HOWA build besides get Vinktars? I feel like I'm really lacking damage.

Finish off your ascendency points too, avatar of the veil is a big damage/survivability boost.

Finesse and mana flows aren't great choices on the tree (don't think finesse is close enough to the jewel slot to convert to int, so it's just some attack speed), ditch prowess, shouldn't need that with an astra equipped, ditch spirit void and the mana leech node behind it (the combo life/mana leech node is all you really need, this is why you ditch mana flows too), and use all those points you just freed up to start pathing towards unnatural calm and elemental overload for all that extra int and ES and damage. I ditched the whole written in blood life/es node, if you did that you could reach unnatural calm with a decent int boost (70 int or so after scaling if I did the math right), which will also give you a decent es boost on top of the damage you're gaining.

A wise oak flask would also be worth getting in addition to a vinktars, it's cheap and the extra penetration is really worth making sure your lightning resist is highest on your char.

Your gear overall seems fine, although the boot enchant isn't doing a whole lot of good for you, and herald of thunder/ancestral protector/lightning warp aren't doing a whole lot of good for you. At the very least swap out vortex for ancestral protector, and you'll get a decent chunk more damage as your gems level up.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Valle posted:

You probably won't be able to buy 1500 fusings all at 3:1, because currency trading is horrible.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Whitest Russian posted:

why do you have a +30 STR node, for damage a 6L adds like 30+% more, craft a +int belt

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

McFrugal posted:

You probably won't be able to buy 1500 fusings all at 3:1, because currency trading is horrible.

Even dropping to 2.8 (there's one dude listed with 10k fusings at just above that) you'll end up with 535c. I suppose if you're blowing that much on it you don't care about a few c here and there.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Valle posted:

Even dropping to 2.8 (there's one dude listed with 10k fusings at just above that) you'll end up with 535c. I suppose if you're blowing that much on it you don't care about a few c here and there.

That person is definitely not selling his fuses

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

So I got a jewelers, which I guess is the 5 socket version. Is that at all valuable? I'm pondering using it on my 4s rare chest so I can add enfeeble...

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
http://poe.trade/search/onanoronowikok

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

silvergoose posted:

So I got a jewelers, which I guess is the 5 socket version. Is that at all valuable? I'm pondering using it on my 4s rare chest so I can add enfeeble...

If you need a 5L chest use it. If not, sell it. I have been selling them for 20c, which helps out.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

silvergoose posted:

Is that at all valuable?
http://poe.trade/search/asikininogasih

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hmmmmm. So, yes, and I should see if there's a 5L that I want for less than the value, then finally do something akin to trading. Alright, cool.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Hmmmmm. So, yes, and I should see if there's a 5L that I want for less than the value, then finally do something akin to trading. Alright, cool.

See if there's anything available, don't limit yourself to looking at 5L. You've got the prophecy to make whatever you buy 5L after all!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah, you should probably try interacting with other people at some point

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Awesome! posted:

yeah, you should probably try interacting with other people at some point

gently caress that :v:

Valle posted:

See if there's anything available, don't limit yourself to looking at 5L. You've got the prophecy to make whatever you buy 5L after all!

Yeah I'm mostly looking at 6s 5L with the colors I need...I assume using that would then require me to use chromes though then again, I just need...BBBGR which shouldn't be too bad.

Hm. Intriguing.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

On what base though? Getting those colors on one of the ES hybrids or pure ES should be easy. Getting that on a pure AR or EV though...have fun with that.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Mr. Despair posted:

Finish off your ascendency points too, avatar of the veil is a big damage/survivability boost.

Finesse and mana flows aren't great choices on the tree (don't think finesse is close enough to the jewel slot to convert to int, so it's just some attack speed), ditch prowess, shouldn't need that with an astra equipped, ditch spirit void and the mana leech node behind it (the combo life/mana leech node is all you really need, this is why you ditch mana flows too), and use all those points you just freed up to start pathing towards unnatural calm and elemental overload for all that extra int and ES and damage. I ditched the whole written in blood life/es node, if you did that you could reach unnatural calm with a decent int boost (70 int or so after scaling if I did the math right), which will also give you a decent es boost on top of the damage you're gaining.

A wise oak flask would also be worth getting in addition to a vinktars, it's cheap and the extra penetration is really worth making sure your lightning resist is highest on your char.

Your gear overall seems fine, although the boot enchant isn't doing a whole lot of good for you, and herald of thunder/ancestral protector/lightning warp aren't doing a whole lot of good for you. At the very least swap out vortex for ancestral protector, and you'll get a decent chunk more damage as your gems level up.

I've done most of that and it still feels like the build is lacking. For the amount of money I've spent it shouldn't take as long as it does to kill boss maps or even most of the rares I see.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What changes were made to poison and/or bleed that the Earthquake build that was strong in prophecy isn't good anymore?

e: or the poison bladefall trap build?

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 21, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Voidheart no longer has 100% bleed/poison chance.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

silvergoose posted:

gently caress that :v:

Yeah I'm mostly looking at 6s 5L with the colors I need...I assume using that would then require me to use chromes though then again, I just need...BBBGR which shouldn't be too bad.

Hm. Intriguing.

Lol I don't understand this. The game literally can't even be played offline, what's the point in purposely avoiding interacting with other people in a video game...? Especially if it's literally just half automated interactions where you copy paste the price of an item for a set price and then the person sells it to you or vice versa that helps you get things

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

Lol I don't understand this. The game literally can't even be played offline, what's the point in purposely avoiding interacting with other people in a video game...? Especially if it's literally just half automated interactions where you copy paste the price of an item for a set price and then the person sells it to you or vice versa that helps you get things

Some of my wow playing in the past was similar. I'm not actually going to refuse to trade, but I am astonishingly lazy in doing this sort of thing.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

another patch?

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Hopefully it's Templar pants.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

quote:

Improved the performance of serverside stat calculations. This reduces serverside calculation lag when buffs are added (including cases like Femurs of the Saints) and improves the speed of generating levels.
Fixed some small bugs related to some specific stats not updating immediately when their dependencies changed.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Improved the performance of serverside stat calculations. This reduces serverside calculation lag when buffs are added (including cases like Femurs of the Saints) and improves the speed of generating levels.
Fixed some small bugs related to some specific stats not updating immediately when their dependencies changed.

e: loving rekt

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

It seems to be a regular occurrence that someone wanders into the thread and posts "just started playing, game is great but so hard. I keep dying all the time and my gear sucks, how do I improve it? Oh, also I don't trade because that seems like effort". Maybe the OP needs a big banner saying "if you don't trade you're making life really hard for yourself" or something. In case someone actually reads it.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

..btt posted:

It seems to be a regular occurrence that someone wanders into the thread and posts "just started playing, game is great but so hard. I keep dying all the time and my gear sucks, how do I improve it? Oh, also I don't trade because that seems like effort". Maybe the OP needs a big banner saying "if you don't trade you're making life really hard for yourself" or something. In case someone actually reads it.

while Perils of an Unregulated Capitalist Market Simulator can be fun in its own right, there is a whole game that some people might want to focus on instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

while Perils of an Unregulated Capitalist Market Simulator can be fun in its own right, there is a whole game that some people might want to focus on instead

Trading is part of that game, unless you specifically want to play SSF.

• Locked thread