Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Dragon Quest XI will be releasing in Japan for the Playstation 4 and the Nintendo 3DS on 7/29/2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Carmant posted:

Dragon Quest XI will be releasing in Japan for the Playstation 4 and the Nintendo 3DS on 7/29/2017

I want it so bad.

I know there's no English release date yet, but has it been announced for an English release at all? I know it almost certainly will be brought over, but I don't know anything beyond that.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Prism posted:

That said, this doesn't sound like it's the series for you. Which is fine! It's not for everyone. But it's deliberately kind of archaic in a lot of ways; the core of Dragon Quest doesn't really change much. Revival items are rare because the games that it was meant to draw upon the feel of, old-style dungeon crawlers (for DQ1, Wizardry and Ultima were specifically mentioned), often don't have any at all, or they can fail and require a turbo super resurrection to get your character back up (turned to ash...). I wouldn't call it 'unacceptable' so much as 'not your style'.

Dragon Quest also balances around those mechanics by having party-wipes not revert you to your last save file, unlike most other RPGs. It's just part of what makes a Dragon Quest game a Dragon Quest game, and I can't see it ever changing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

...! posted:

I've been replaying DQ8 and I'm struck by how archaic so many of its gameplay elements are, even for a PS2 game. Hell, even the Final Fantasy games were way better at these things going all the way back to the SNES games. They seem to be steadfastly rejecting QoL improvements of the time. I don't know if it's purely out of tradition or what, but they really should have fixed this dumb poo poo.

You can only save in churches and the save process takes twenty million years.

Reviving characters before getting the revival spells is a gigantic pain in the rear end. If a character dies, you have to leave whatever dungeon you're in, go to a church, and pay a huge percentage of the gold you've managed to scrape together just to revive one single character.

There is a revival item but you don't get it until late in the game, it's incredibly time consuming to get, and the game tries to make sure you only have one in your inventory at any given time although you can fool it and get two in your inventory. Imagine playing a Final Fantasy game and it only permits you to have one phoenix down and you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it.

And the first revival spell is so awful that it's almost completely useless, especially in battle. It has a 50/50 chance of reviving the person. Gotta love trying to revive someone in battle and having to spend twenty turns and all your MP casting the spell. Even when you get the good spell, if your healer gets killed then it's back to a church with you.

This is all completely unacceptable. Please tell me that the later games fix all this or I'm not even gonna bother.

The remake of 8 for the 3DS lets you "quick" save anywhere. But idk, dungeons in Dragon Quest are way more attrition-based than conventional games. The challenge generally comes from not getting worn down by repeated fights, occasional difficulty spikes aside. I've beaten half the games and never been really hurting for Kazing until I got it, because enemies aside from a handful of bosses don't really pull any bullshit.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Prism posted:

I want it so bad.

I know there's no English release date yet, but has it been announced for an English release at all? I know it almost certainly will be brought over, but I don't know anything beyond that.

They announced an Asian release of the PS4 version on the stream, which might have English in it (though it's far from confirmed).

Other interesting tidbits I'm not yet seeing reported elsewhere on the English web: One of the producers estimated 50 hours to finish the game and over 100 to do everything. You can input old passwords from the Famicom games for a special bonus on the 3DS version.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vakal posted:

Can you offer any updates on the project? Is it still on schedule or did it hit a snag?

There are many issues causing the game to crash that are being ironed out. Apparently text exceeding certain lengths for a lot of different things causes a lot of random weird things to happen. Aside from that, internal testing has begun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

...! posted:

I've been replaying DQ8 and I'm struck by how archaic so many of its gameplay elements are, even for a PS2 game. Hell, even the Final Fantasy games were way better at these things going all the way back to the SNES games. They seem to be steadfastly rejecting QoL improvements of the time. I don't know if it's purely out of tradition or what, but they really should have fixed this dumb poo poo.

Reviving characters before getting the revival spells is a gigantic pain in the rear end. If a character dies, you have to leave whatever dungeon you're in, go to a church, and pay a huge percentage of the gold you've managed to scrape together just to revive one single character.

There is a revival item but you don't get it until late in the game, it's incredibly time consuming to get, and the game tries to make sure you only have one in your inventory at any given time although you can fool it and get two in your inventory. Imagine playing a Final Fantasy game and it only permits you to have one phoenix down and you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it.

And the first revival spell is so awful that it's almost completely useless, especially in battle. It has a 50/50 chance of reviving the person. Gotta love trying to revive someone in battle and having to spend twenty turns and all your MP casting the spell. Even when you get the good spell, if your healer gets killed then it's back to a church with you.

This is all completely unacceptable. Please tell me that the later games fix all this or I'm not even gonna bother.

If you're playing the 3ds version, the added a quick save option that's basically a normal save.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Getting started properly in DQ7, and so far I'm at the island filled with statues.

Jesus, that was loving dark.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Prism posted:

Events don't change personalities - though I suppose that might be the single solitary exception because the game hasn't really started yet, and it's still pretty much the introduction, if indeed that's how it happened.

That said, this doesn't sound like it's the series for you. Which is fine! It's not for everyone. But it's deliberately kind of archaic in a lot of ways; the core of Dragon Quest doesn't really change much. Revival items are rare because the games that it was meant to draw upon the feel of, old-style dungeon crawlers (for DQ1, Wizardry and Ultima were specifically mentioned), often don't have any at all, or they can fail and require a turbo super resurrection to get your character back up (turned to ash...). I wouldn't call it 'unacceptable' so much as 'not your style'.

Uh, OK. I don't need the condescension. I've beaten DQ1 through DQ8. I wasn't aware that I wasn't allowed to say that the archaic parts are archaic. What should I have said?

Just saying "that's just how DQ games are" is a flimsy justification for them not joining the 21st century.

...! fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 11, 2017

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Is it me or is the iOS version of DQ3 a lot easier? I'm already in the Tower of Garuda and my characters are level 15. I seem to recall being around level 25 at this point in the NES version.

Is it because my party's full of vamps?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Here are the new XI trailers! http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/11/dragon-quest-xi-gets-new-trailers-play-time-50-100-hours/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's so weird looking at the battles...it seems like you can run around and stuff but it's still all turned based, because during the demo while they're talking about they're running around this dude for like 2 minutes and nobody is doing anything.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Y'all not even talking about the coolest thing.

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/851675002411855872

Ok second coolest thing because the Slime controller is coming back for PS4.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Harlock posted:

Ok second coolest thing because the Slime controller is coming back for PS4.
Metal Slime PS4 better come to the US for this because goddamn I still want one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

...! posted:

Is it me or is the iOS version of DQ3 a lot easier? I'm already in the Tower of Garuda and my characters are level 15. I seem to recall being around level 25 at this point in the NES version.

Is it because my party's full of vamps?

Most of the remakes have made the games easier from what I've heard, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

...! posted:

Uh, OK. I don't need the condescension. I've beaten DQ1 through DQ8. I wasn't aware that I wasn't allowed to say that the archaic parts are archaic. What should I have said?

Just saying "that's just how DQ games are" is a flimsy justification for them not joining the 21st century.

You can say it, but I 100% don't agree with 'completely unacceptable' because people find them fun, and I don't think they need justification for that, flimsy or otherwise. DQ8 3DS has the quicksave, a map, and healing on level up, and those are some QOL improvements that don't change the core of the game.

I did think you were playing for the first time, though, so my mistake; it sounded like you really weren't enjoying them, so I'm not sure why you'd play the whole series then. You asked if it was just tradition or what. Yes. Yes it is.

orenronen posted:

They announced an Asian release of the PS4 version on the stream, which might have English in it (though it's far from confirmed).

Other interesting tidbits I'm not yet seeing reported elsewhere on the English web: One of the producers estimated 50 hours to finish the game and over 100 to do everything. You can input old passwords from the Famicom games for a special bonus on the 3DS version.

That last part would be hard for American gamers, what with never having had passwords. Here's hoping they give some English information sooner rather than later.

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 11, 2017

khy
Aug 15, 2005

...! posted:

RE : Saving, that I will agree with being "archaic" and a bit irritating and am glad for the changes.

When it comes to revival I disagree 100%. Limited revival and the difficulty it introduces is a deliberate part of the gameplay. The game is balanced around it and it hardly feels 'archaic' anymore than having limited inventory space per party member does, or the fact that it's 100% turn-based and has no active battle mode. Do these feel archaic as well?

It's just gameplay decisions, made because the game goes for a slower but more thoughful pace than final fantasy games (Especially the newer ones).

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

...! posted:

Shut up bitch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...! posted:

If you've beaten 8 dragon quest games, how are you shocked that their gameplay mechanics change very little, that's like the whole reason people play dragon quest games

Between that and your constant sperging out about personalities in DQ3, you could forgive people for thinking you've never played one of them before.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

...! posted:

I just started over. I think the contrarian change was caused by me running away from the Aliahan castle at the very start and insisting to my mother that I didn't want to meet the king. I always do that sort of thing in every game that lets me, just to see what happens. So I was punished for having fun. Now I'm saying yes to every drat "but thou must!" question in the game lest it sic the fun police on me again.

The game changing your personality based off stuff 90% of players won't do sounds funny and cool, actually

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I can confirm that the game does in fact change your personality if you refuse to meet the king. In the GBC version I remember getting "Defiant" when I did that.

That said, it is absolutely not worth worrying about.

First, personalities will for the most part not stop a character from being good at the general thing they're supposed to do because the way they work is that they give you stats equal to a percentage of what you would have at a given level. Most of the personalities will not swing you to an extreme end of the stat spectrum. Even, for example, a Smart Hero will be able to do good melee damage (90% of normal STR growth), though obviously it's worth putting on an item for some other personality if you want the Hero to outdo your other attackers.

Second, the game gives you multiple pieces of equipment that gives you the Sexy/Vamp personality, as well as stuff that gives you the other really good personalities like Quick/Bat Out of Hell, Sharp/Genius, Valiant/Paragon, etc. It really doesn't matter what your starting personality is because it's extremely likely that you will just wear certain personality items for the entire game. This isn't a big deal because there are only a few non-personality accessories in the whole game (the main one being the Starry/Meteorite Bracelet).

Basically, don't stress out about personalities. Looking up what they do and where to get certain books or accessories is not a bad idea, but certainly don't worry about your Hero getting a bit more Wisdom than Strength for a few levels; he will max Strength well before level ups stop giving good stat gains anyway.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nickoten posted:

I can confirm that the game does in fact change your personality if you refuse to meet the king. In the GBC version I remember getting "Defiant" when I did that.

Huh. Guess that's the only time then. Neat!

Nickoten posted:

That said, it is absolutely not worth worrying about.

Yeah, that. It really isn't a big deal, especially within the 80-120% band. You don't get 10+ points in each stat every level up, so many times it won't even do anything noticeable when you level. If those missing few points of strength worry you, just make sure they get your +STR seeds.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Prism posted:

You can say it, but I 100% don't agree with 'completely unacceptable' because people find them fun, and I don't think they need justification for that, flimsy or otherwise. DQ8 3DS has the quicksave, a map, and healing on level up, and those are some QOL improvements that don't change the core of the game.

I did think you were playing for the first time, though, so my mistake; it sounded like you really weren't enjoying them, so I'm not sure why you'd play the whole series then. You asked if it was just tradition or what. Yes. Yes it is.

That last part would be hard for American gamers, what with never having had passwords. Here's hoping they give some English information sooner rather than later.

DQ8 is one of my favorite games of all time and I bought a used PS2 from a goon a couple of weeks ago specifically to replay it, and I said so in that thread. I can post the link if you like.

Like most people, I'm capable of liking a thing while not liking certain aspects of it. The QoL improvements I mentioned are very basic things that the Final Fantasy games straightened out in the early '90s on the SNES. The fact that there had been no improvement in those areas in a game from 2005 was simply bad game design. Doubly so if they're still doing it today. It's completely basic. I guarantee that it doesn't take the game as long to save the game as it seems to; they just gotta play the complete organ tune for some dumb reason.

You mentioned the Wizardry games but that doesn't work; you're comparing apples to oranges. By mentioning Wizardry 1, you're comparing a first person dungeon crawl game from the '80s to a third person game from 2005. Let's compare the Wizardry games to each other instead.

The first Wizardry game is rough in the QoL department because it's super old and those games were just finding their way back then. Now we have the (aging) PS3 Wizardry game, which is awesome. It has tons of modern QoL improvements, including an automap and the ability to save anywhere. Do you think they compromised the soul of the series by adding those things? Why?

I misspoke when I said I beat DQ1 through DQ8, though; I've never played 5 or 6 but the iOS versions are on my list. I've beaten 1 through 4, and 7 and 8. 7 is a super grindfest that I'll never play again. That's something they changed for 8 and they should have changed the other things too. They didn't compromise the soul of the series by removing the need to grind.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

Most of the remakes have made the games easier from what I've heard, so I wouldn't be surprised.

1 and 2 were definitely easier but that's because they simply increased the amount of XP and gold you get from killing stuff and lowered the monsters' stats. 3 seems to be completely different in that department.

And 3's new script is really painful. I have no idea what they were thinking.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

raditts posted:

If you've beaten 8 dragon quest games, how are you shocked that their gameplay mechanics change very little, that's like the whole reason people play dragon quest games

Between that and your constant sperging out about personalities in DQ3, you could forgive people for thinking you've never played one of them before.

You're reading a tone into what I've been saying that's not there. Keep your "sperging" comments to yourself.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
They're kinda right though, people who enjoy dq games flock to them because they want to play an NES rpg with pretty, updated graphics.

That is the entire premise of the series. How have you missed this after having played so many dq titles?

Not to say your complaints aren't legitimate but literally the series banks on staying the exact same, down to the NES style sound effects.

Don't get so defensive btw, that's obnoxious

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

...! posted:

DQ8 is one of my favorite games of all time and I bought a used PS2 from a goon a couple of weeks ago specifically to replay it, and I said so in that thread. I can post the link if you like.

I don't need citations, no. I missed it, that's on me.

quote:

You mentioned the Wizardry games but that doesn't work; you're comparing apples to oranges. By mentioning Wizardry 1, you're comparing a first person dungeon crawl game from the '80s to a third person game from 2005. Let's compare the Wizardry games to each other instead.

The first Wizardry game is rough in the QoL department because it's super old and those games were just finding their way back then. Now we have the (aging) PS3 Wizardry game, which is awesome. It has tons of modern QoL improvements, including an automap and the ability to save anywhere. Do you think they compromised the soul of the series by adding those things? Why?

I brought up Wizardry 1 and Ultima 1 in relation to Dragon Quest 1, as my post said (early Wizardry and Ultima games, and the Bard's Tale, have also been noted as inspirations on DQ2 and 3). Some of the mechanics were formed then.

So, with your other comment: the PS3 Wizardry (like all Japanese-origin Wizardry games) is to my knowledge only a licensed game rather than a first-party Wizardry game, and I haven't played it at that so I don't have firsthand experience, but Wizardry 7 and 8 had a map too so your point stands. That said, I specifically called out the 3DS version of DQ8's save-anywhere and map as a positive QoL improvement, so no, I do not think they compromised the soul of those series.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

...! posted:

7 is a super grindfest that I'll never play again.

I don't think I'm that far into 7 on the 3DS but it hasn't felt too grindy for me yet. That might be a me thing though since I like to stop and grind out gold to buy everything in new shop. Is there a certain point where you thought it got worse? Or maybe the 3DS version is easier?

My first DQ game was 9 on the DS. I played the absolute poo poo out of that. Then I picked up the DS releases of 4, 5 & 6. I'm pretty sure I played 4 and just don't remember it. 5 was the one with Pierre the Slime Knight and the kids, right? I remember that. I don't remember 6 though so I might not have gotten around to playing it. I ordered 8 on the 3 DS so that will be next.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Grindy" means something different to every person that uses it. Say rather for the sake of clarity that 7 is a really long, decompressed, slow game.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I guess my real question should be does 7 feel the same all the way through or does it slow down at some point? I'm enjoying it so far.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

GoodBee posted:

I guess my real question should be does 7 feel the same all the way through or does it slow down at some point? I'm enjoying it so far.

DQ7 gets a bit slower towards the end of the island unlocks, but it didn't get that bad to me.

What IS really bad is the amount of grinding it takes to master the third-tier hero classes; IIRC some of them required well over 1000 battles to unlock. They're powerful as hell, but not really 'required'. So whether or not to spend the time to grind out a thousand plus battles is up to each person. The 3DS remake might reduce the number of battles required, I can't say for sure.

It would take hundreds if not thousands of hours to unlock and master every class in the game, and far far far more to master all the monster classes too. I wonder if anyone's actively trying to do so?

Hm.

Question about DQ3 : Is the dragon tail whip anywhere in the Android/IOS games? When I look it up it only mentions the Pachisi tracks which aren't in the phone remakes.

quote:

The overarching plot kinda gets peppered in, but until the point you save every island it's about 65 hours of "go to town, solve crisis, see what happened X years later", with the occasional "meet someone from another island you save or go to an old island 30 years later". Which is extremely my poo poo, Dragon Quest excels at telling those little stories.
I loving LOVED that poo poo, rescuing a town and seeing how things played out, all those little stories of all those people throughout. The herb garden that was spectacular falling into ruin, while a nearby one flourished... the volcano seer who went from totally legit to a complete scam after many generations... every single town in the game had an intricate backstory, had a presence that few other games ever really get. The world in DQ7 still feels like the biggest and best of any DQ game just because you experience so much during the journey.

My favorite is still the desert town that actually remembers your party as being the great saviors of the desert. Up to that point people always refer to you as being legends or rumors, nobody ever really acknowledges any of it or believes it actually happened. Even when you meet people in the future that you rescued in the past they only say poo poo like "You seem familiar somehow..." and so on. But when you get to the desert castle after fixing its past, they immediately recognize you and throw a bigass party celebrating you. Since that particular island took loving forever in the past to fix, it was a great acknowledgement after you finished up.

DQ7 will probably always be my favorite game because of the poo poo like this.

khy fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 14, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GoodBee posted:

The overarching plot kinda gets peppered in, but until the point you save every island it's about 65 hours of "go to town, solve crisis, see what happened X years later", with the occasional "meet someone from another island you save or go to an old island 30 years later". Which is extremely my poo poo, Dragon Quest excels at telling those little stories.

Oh, and once you unlock your first advanced vocations the difficulty curve shits itself but the game's 70 hours as is so just play 6 if you want a challenge.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

khy posted:

DQ7 gets a bit slower towards the end of the island unlocks, but it didn't get that bad to me.

What IS really bad is the amount of grinding it takes to master the third-tier hero classes; IIRC some of them required well over 1000 battles to unlock. They're powerful as hell, but not really 'required'. So whether or not to spend the time to grind out a thousand plus battles is up to each person. The 3DS remake might reduce the number of battles required, I can't say for sure.

It would take hundreds if not thousands of hours to unlock and master every class in the game, and far far far more to master all the monster classes too. I wonder if anyone's actively trying to do so?

The 3DS version does reduce the number of battles needed to get to and master third tier human classes. It does that by significantly reducing the number of battles needed to master first tier human classes.

More significantly, it takes away the incentive to grind classes by locking the abilities of the second and third tier human classes to each particular class. And those classes get a lot of extra abilities to compensate, including abilities previously only available to monsters. (The hero gets omniheal at rank 7, for example.) The principal result of this is that the game protects you from your own worst instincts to grind.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you want to grind like crazy and get loads of abilities, there are monster hearts. if you just want to get a powerful class and stay there, then just go with the human classes. having options is good!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Has there been any progress on the translation of that other DQM game?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im at the god bird empyrea in the dark world and getting insanely owned. Im level 34. What lvl should i grind to?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Im at the god bird empyrea in the dark world and getting insanely owned. Im level 34. What lvl should i grind to?

45 and abuse the poo poo out of Yangus' Executioner skill. You're gonna want to stick with it and not leave, because once you beat her, you do a dungeon and get the airship.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

Dizz posted:

Has there been any progress on the translation of that other DQM game?

BabyRyoga provided an update earlier this month.

BabyRyoga posted:

There are many issues causing the game to crash that are being ironed out. Apparently text exceeding certain lengths for a lot of different things causes a lot of random weird things to happen. Aside from that, internal testing has begun.

Hopefully something soon! I'm also looking forward to Rocket Slime 3's fan-translation too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RareAcumen posted:

45 and abuse the poo poo out of Yangus' Executioner skill. You're gonna want to stick with it and not leave, because once you beat her, you do a dungeon and get the airship.

cool. probably take me a few days.

i just read that you can cheese the fight by psyching up jessica all the way and using kafrizzle for a few turns. i'll try that a few times before i write off progress

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Real hurthling! posted:

i just read that you can cheese the fight by psyching up jessica all the way and using kafrizzle for a few turns. i'll try that a few times before i write off progress
Yeah, Psyche Up is really really good at breaking fights - if you can just keep Jessica alive for a few turns (can you have the first Timbrel of Tension by that point?) you can pretty much nuke anything down before the last few bosses that have Disruptive Wave.

(doubly so once you get Morrie because he has an ability that psyches someone else up either 1 or 2 stages at random)