Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

This isn't how I remember Cinderella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Barudak posted:

I dont want to gently caress this guy, I just want him to want me sexually like I do to him.

Haven't you ever had anyone do this exact kind of dumb poo poo to you? Consider yourself lucky.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Let's peek in on /r/childfree and see how they've been doing.

Why the gently caress is 'bring your kid to work' day appropriate?

quote:

So I just got an e-mail stating that next Thursday is going to be "Take our Daughters & Sons to Work Day".

I promptly informed my manager that I would be taking that day as my personal day SPECIFICALLY due to this event.

Why is it that businesses still think it's approrpirate to have this event? The children hinder workflow, cause multiple resources to be used to keep them confined, and prevent people from concentrating on projects. Basically it fucks with everything that makes a business profitable and forces people like myself to waste our single personal day to avoid the mombie and daddict hell.

I don't get to bring in my dog to work because there are people who are afraid of dogs (just FYI, my dog is 30 pounds of Corgi who will definitely lick you to death) but I'm not allowed to say "I have an issue with children". So I am not allowed a pupper day because 1 person is afraid of dogs and everyone has to bend to her will but I have a problem with kids and I get completely ignored even though I'm the ONLY IT person on premises.

Welp, have fun fixing your own computers baby brains.

I love the implication that they actually did ask if they can bring her dog to work, and someone objected.

"When you have babies, know that other people who are done with babies don't want you bringing your babies around."

quote:

-My Dad. In a restaurant this weekend where we moved tables because a baby was screaming.

Gems like this are one of the reasons why my brother and I don't want kids.

Growing up and hearing "kids ruin your life" and "...all the fun we had before kids" has an impact on you.

My Mum is in denial about my childfree wishes. This latest comment implies he hasn't got the memo. I wonder if he will also be sad, or glad we took all his backhanded comments as life advice...

:shepface: You realize he was talking about you, right?

Because Sharing This Outside Of Here Would Go Poorly

quote:

Ah yes, the hypothetical black "Ghetto" woman, committing the crime of "pregnant while poor" :discourse:

Any other angry soap opera fans here that there has never really been a CF woman on a soap?

quote:

Just a small rant I thought of while setting here watching Y&R. There has never been a female childfree by choice character on a soap opera. That really pisses me off. Because, soaps have begun to incorporate progressive storylines in the past 20 years. Like Stone having AIDS on GH and gay characters on AMC, OLTL, and GH.

But, not once have they thought of writing in a female character that is childfree by choice. It chaps my rear end. Anyone else who happens to be a soap viewer agree that it's time that we be represented? I think Mariah on YR or Hayden on GH would be perfect choices to make CF. If you watch those do you share the same opinion as me?

"Why are these GAYS allowed on my soap operas but not a woman bitter and angry about not wanting children?! :qq:"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I Was The Fury posted:

This isn't how I remember Cinderella

Yeah, I don't remember the organ harvesting subplot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

Haven't you ever had anyone do this exact kind of dumb poo poo to you? Consider yourself lucky.

Im only sexually attracted to closers.

But seriously, sounds awful.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Charles Get-Out posted:

Oh no!!

I[18 M] just found out my GF [19 F] of 1 year has been receiving dick pics

Are they bigger than his dick?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why would you lock up a pumpkin?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MF_James posted:

What, the suicide/depression? I can see that, it's none of her business, especially since his actual daughter does not feel comfortable with the stepmom. If you mean :redflag: in general? I'm sure there were plenty, but the fact that he was likely lonely as gently caress will allow him to ignore/overlook a lot of stuff so he doesn't have to deal with crippling loneliness anymore.

I was referring to the depression/suicide thing. Clearly the step daughter hasn't really ever liked the step-mom so I get why she didn't want to talk about it much with her. To me at least it just seems like something that would come up in some fashion during the whole getting to know the family you're creating phase of things? I know the OP is older, which makes it less of a thing that NEEDS to be brought up since she's managing fine on her own at this point...but it you'd think at the very least they've discussed the fact that his wife died and you'd think a basic "my daughter took it really hard for a period of time but is better now" would have been mentioned?

Maybe I'm just too used to functioning communication in relationships/families because I have a really hard time figuring out how some of these people don't talk about things.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

there is exactly one mentally unstable person in that story and it isn't the OP

What always amazes me in those stories is the family members just relaying the information without comment. ''Yeah my lovely new wife wants to cut you, my only daughter, out of my life.''

Okay....and? You're just saying that? Like if I was in his spot I'd ask for a divorce immediately and probably not even tell my daughter what the wife said because who gives a poo poo, she's nuts.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why would you lock up a pumpkin?

It's out of it's gourd and might hurt itself.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ravenkult posted:

What always amazes me in those stories is the family members just relaying the information without comment. ''Yeah my lovely new wife wants to cut you, my only daughter, out of my life.''

Okay....and? You're just saying that? Like if I was in his spot I'd ask for a divorce immediately and probably not even tell my daughter what the wife said because who gives a poo poo, she's nuts.

Yeah, that part is baffling. Like how is that just a statement? She's asking what she can do about it, she needs to just ask her dad what he's going to do about it.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

ravenkult posted:

ime a lot of men* have a very hard time being alone, alone in the sense of not having a romantic partner. i think a lot of that is that men aren't really taught how to have any sort of vulnerable intimate connection in any sort of relationship but a romantic one. a lot of times a guy's friends are really basically just drinking buddies or work acquaintances, because our culture teaches boys that emotions aren't okay to show or really admit to having. the one exception to this is with a romantic partner, and without that, it gets very lonely for them very quickly. this dad sounds like he is desperately clinging to this woman and ignoring her massive faults for this reason

*apparently i have to have this disclaimer that this is based on my experiences talking with men who are willing to open up about this sort of stuff, and talking to women who's SOs have expressed these sorts of things because last time a bunch of people freaked out when i said things like this lol

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
spoiler: she isn't his biological daughter and that's what the dad managed to keep his mouth shut about

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Danaru posted:

I love the implication that they actually did ask if they can bring her dog to work, and someone objected.

lol that this person let it slip that they're afraid of children

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

La Brea Carpet posted:

I [27 F] confused about the behavior of my married co-worker [37 M].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNIZofPB8ZM

I thought most people grew out of this in high school?

lol what the poo poo

it's usually the sadbrains dudes who do this poo poo

"they gave me a piece of chocolate one time and make it a point to include me in team activities, does this mean he's DTF?????"

quote:

Lately, though, he's been acting a bit weird. When I talk to my colleague (who's sitting next to me), he would interrupt us and ask him something about work and when my colleague asks him "Did you want something from me?", he replied "Why would I want something from you?". This happened 3 times. He sometimes talks about topics I like.

he sometimes talks about topics i like! this is surely a sign, right???

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Mirthless posted:

lol what the poo poo

it's usually the sadbrains dudes who do this poo poo

"they gave me a piece of chocolate one time and make it a point to include me in team activities, does this mean he's DTF?????"

"look i dont wanna hook up with him i just wanna know if hes silently longing after me and now i feel like he isnt???????"

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

"look i dont wanna hook up with him i just wanna know if hes silently longing after me and now i feel like he isnt???????"

Nice Gandalf AV

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Captain Yossarian posted:

Nice Gandalf AV

thank you friend :)

im glad my av and name are all workin' together now. its a good feeling

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Easy, the epileptic woman takes an uber to his parents house and mercy-:murder:s the guy's brother. 5 people suddenly have much better lives, it's like the trolley problem.

That one is really sad. I personally couldn't deal with someone who dropped everything to run over to do an errand for their parents, but the brother makes that situation hard. If his parents can afford a month-long trip to europe they can afford to hire a caretaker for their son.

Late, but I'm going to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and say he needs to figure out he doesn't have play caretaker brother anymore. My bet is on the parents having him royally hosed and it being time to move on.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

don't kinkshame

My [20F] stepmother [50F] learned about my history of depression and wants to cut me off from the family.

quote:

Angie is mine. I will protect her against ANY and ALL threats. I would not have let you speak to Angie if I knew you are mentally unstable. You had a DUTY and a RESPONSIBILITY to tell me, and so did your father. What would happen if you wante to hack up Angie in pieces in the night? Because your father refused to tell me anything about what is going on. I do not want you talking to Angie. You have fed poison in her ears. You turned her against me and (Dad’s name). I will not have mentally unstable people in my family.

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

i've read some unhinged poo poo in this thread but holy mother of god this is crazy on a level i am not really familiar with and i am a crazy person

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's so much good stuff on the last few pages of can't decide if Emotional Parkour or weed alcohol vape would be a better username

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

ime a lot of men* have a very hard time being alone, alone in the sense of not having a romantic partner. i think a lot of that is that men aren't really taught how to have any sort of vulnerable intimate connection in any sort of relationship but a romantic one. a lot of times a guy's friends are really basically just drinking buddies or work acquaintances, because our culture teaches boys that emotions aren't okay to show or really admit to having. the one exception to this is with a romantic partner, and without that, it gets very lonely for them very quickly. this dad sounds like he is desperately clinging to this woman and ignoring her massive faults for this reason

*apparently i have to have this disclaimer that this is based on my experiences talking with men who are willing to open up about this sort of stuff, and talking to women who's SOs have expressed these sorts of things because last time a bunch of people freaked out when i said things like this lol

This does make sense, but is this implying there are more women who stay single for protracted periods vs men because they have more people they are comfortable with opening up to. But these guys that are remarrying are doing so with single women, who presumably would rather be in a relationship than be single.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Panfilo posted:

This does make sense, but is this implying there are more women who stay single for protracted periods vs men because they have more people they are comfortable with opening up to. But these guys that are remarrying are doing so with single women, who presumably would rather be in a relationship than be single.

this is true. but (again anecdotally) it seems that more women stay single after a divorce for example, while men tend to get hitched again

i feel like this came up a while back in this thread about why old guys who's wife dies end up remarrying so quickly when you don't see that happening in reverse as much

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Then where do the women who seem to appear out of nowhere to instantly marry flailing, helpless idiot dads come from?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I [23F] do not want to have to pay for two of my fiancé's [29M] relatives [40sF, 70sF] to attend our wedding.

quote:

My lovely, kind fiancé (let's call him Luke) and I will be getting married next year, and we will be inviting all members of our families to the wedding. He has two relatives on his mother's side of the family - his aunt Maureen and his grandmother Shirley who of course will be invited. I am very happy for them to attend, as they are nice and I get along with them, but I am very irritated that Luke and are expected to pay for them to attend.

Now, Shirley and Maureen live together in a council flat and are very very lazy. They have never had jobs before and live on benefits. They refuse to come and visit us (apparently Luke's family used to suggest taking a train but their excuse was 'we don't know how to use trains'), so we always have to go to see them (and Shirley complains if we don't visit often enough). They practically only leave the house to go food shopping - they don't even walk their dog. As such, they will absolutely not make their own way to the wedding.

Now, my lovely MIL-to-be (we shall call her Hannah) has kindly offered to pick Shirley & Maureen up and take them to the wedding, but this would not be fair on her. She would have to miss the end of the reception as they would definitely want to leave early, and I feel that she deserves to enjoy her son's wedding without having to leave early just to drive her mother and sister back to London

So the only other option we can think of is that Luke and I pay for a taxi. The journey there and back will cost us over £100. This may not seem like that much money, but we have just bought a house and are not spending that much on the wedding so it's quite a lot for us. The money is the least of the problem though - if they had graciously asked and made it clear that they appreciated the gesture, that they would love to come but sadly could just not afford it, then yes I would be thrilled to pay for them. But they're not coming because of money (they ABSOLUTELY can afford to take a train and obviously could work out how to get there) - they just simply can't be bothered to make the effort. I'm also annoyed that we just seem to be EXPECTED to pay. When James called Shirley up on his birthday and she congratulated him on the engagement, she said 'how will we get there?' like we had to find a way for them. And quite apart from all that - I also know that they will not enjoy themselves at all!!

The ceremony is to be held in my church, which is not their thing at all. They are heavy chain smokers and I know will hate to spend 40 minutes not being able to smoke. I am a musician so music will be a fairly integral part of the service (hymns, organ music, anthems by the church choir that I'm a member of) and Shirley will dislike it immensely. She once heard 10 seconds of cello music on youtube and said 'turn that racket off!' so I'm pretty sure that this music will be horrible for her as well. I'm worried that she will be vocal about the church music and others will hear (as I have never heard her or Maureen ever speak at a volume below shouting).

I am also worried about the reception as Maureen is an alcoholic, and as we will be providing drinks rather than there being a bar, she will be able to drink whatever she wants for free. Hannah could try to help control her, but again, it should not be her responsibility to chaperone her adult sister at her son's wedding. In the past, Maureen once went to prison for getting in a fight and breaking someone's jaw so I am nervous that if she is asked not to drink too much she could get violent.

They will not want to stay very long. They could always miss the service if it will be too boring for them, but then that means that we would have to pay over £100 for them to spend three hours or so at the wedding!

I've voiced to Luke that I am not happy to pay for them to come of course. He agrees with me but says that he is used to the behaviour of Shirley and Maureen and feels that they may not forgive him if he doesn't, whereas my thoughts are that if they cannot be bothered to make an effort for us, they don't deserve to come. I do not want to get in the way of him and his family so I wouldn't dream of saying anything to them without his blessing, but there has to be another way. Does anyone have any further suggestions as to what to do, or will I really have to just grin and bear it? From an outsider's perspective, am I being selfish or justified in feeling this way?

Thanks in advance!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ime a lot of men* have a very hard time being alone, alone in the sense of not having a romantic partner.

My best friend broke up with his long term (3+ years) girlfriend a month or two ago, and dude is still breaking down crying over it, despite it being an amicable dissolution of the relationship.

I suspect a part of it is they live in the same building, and still go out for dinner. The guy just cannot NOT be in a relationship. And he's only 27.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
There are a couple other factors with post divorce people. Women are more likely to have custody of kids which affects dating/remarriage compared to a man paying child support and seeing his kids every other weekend. Women are also more likely to be victims of domestic violence and it would make perfect sense if they were more averse to risking marriage with another Abusive guy.

But the lonely man theory is definitely interesting and explains a lot.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

this is true. but (again anecdotally) it seems that more women stay single after a divorce for example, while men tend to get hitched again

i feel like this came up a while back in this thread about why old guys who's wife dies end up remarrying so quickly when you don't see that happening in reverse as much

You don't see it in reverse because the wife is dead

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Werong Bustope posted:

I [23F] do not want to have to pay for two of my fiancé's [29M] relatives [40sF, 70sF] to attend our wedding.

literally do nothing, this problem will solve itself

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Panfilo posted:

it seems like the other half of the equation is really twentysomething women obsessively latching on to random middle-aged sadsacks who cross their path as much as widows/divorcees

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Avenging_Mikon posted:

My best friend broke up with his long term (3+ years) girlfriend a month or two ago, and dude is still breaking down crying over it, despite it being an amicable dissolution of the relationship.

I suspect a part of it is they live in the same building, and still go out for dinner. The guy just cannot NOT be in a relationship. And he's only 27.
Uhh it's okay to be sad when your longterm relationship ends - grief takes time.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

literally do nothing, this problem will solve itself

No but you see these terrible violent alcoholics might not ever forgive them if they do that

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Panfilo posted:

There are a couple other factors with post divorce people. Women are more likely to have custody of kids which affects dating/remarriage compared to a man paying child support and seeing his kids every other weekend. Women are also more likely to be victims of domestic violence and it would make perfect sense if they were more averse to risking marriage with another Abusive guy.

But the lonely man theory is definitely interesting and explains a lot.

yeah, im not saying it explains everything, just kinda musing on the implications, here in the r/relationships thread :)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Danaru posted:

tbh i really loving hate take your kid to work day, it's really not helpful to people who are trying to get work done, and while parents tend to get cut a lot of slack on TYKtWD, the people without children are expected to pick up that slack

most companies seem to have either abandoned the practice or converted it to some kind of out-of-work family function which I think is a much better option that doesn't fill an office with tiny rude people that can't control the volume of their voice

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 20, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

take your kid to work day was cool for me*

*Airlines don't have that, but my father was a pilot so I got to ride jumpseat in the cockpit, or if i was flying with my mom I'd sit in first class and live like a king! Ahhh the 90s and early 00s were a good time to fly.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

MF_James posted:

take your kid to work day was cool for me*

*Airlines don't have that, but my father was a pilot so I got to ride jumpseat in the cockpit, or if i was flying with my mom I'd sit in first class and live like a king! Ahhh the 90s and early 00s were a good time to fly.

The very early 00s I'm assuming

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it seems like the other half of the equation is really twentysomething women obsessively latching on to random middle-aged sadsacks who cross their path as much as widows/divorcees

lol tell me how you really feel

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

nomad2020 posted:

Late, but I'm going to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and say he needs to figure out he doesn't have play caretaker brother anymore. My bet is on the parents having him royally hosed and it being time to move on.

I think the narrator in that story is unreliable and has control issues.

"I'll make well over double what he makes"
Yet in the comments she says he makes nothing.

She doesn't want him to get a job, but criticizes him several times for being unemployed.

:sever: asap

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 21, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

purple death ray posted:

The very early 00s I'm assuming

even after 9/11 it wasn't too bad, actually sometimes it was better because even less people than usual were flying. As the later 2000s hit, first class started selling out all the time and I didn't get to ride up there as much. I really miss flying to europe for $18 and getting hammered on the plane in 1st class comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Uhh it's okay to be sad when your longterm relationship ends - grief takes time.

He's not exactly helping by continually hanging out with her.