Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

wizard on a water slide posted:

just stop paying all labor and threaten them with a gun if they refuse to keep working

Why? You can just pay them salary; then, you could call them on weekends, or at night, or at their grandparents funerals, AND have full protection of the law to threaten their job when they don't answer!

Never loving go salary.

Judge Navarro continue​s to be my favorite judge. Write unto the poor lawyer in her courtroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I can't get over special agent Dan Love.

It's not bad as names go, but he's no Agent Carl Mark Force IV.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
or Fabio Minoggio AKA John Kilman.

I would blow Dane Cook has issued a correction as of 13:38 on Apr 4, 2017

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Why is it a surprise to these guys that their witnesses should focus on what the trial is about? :confused:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Because what the trial is really about is the Constitutional authority of a gold fringed admiralty court to try these brave patriots.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Why is it a surprise to these guys that their witnesses should focus on what the trial is about? :confused:
It's probably not a surprise, but they like to pretend this is a totally unexpected infringement on their rights, because if their witnesses have to focus on what the trial is about, they'll have to bank on jury nullification (again).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Relevant Tangent posted:

Because what the trial is really about is the Constitutional authority of a gold fringed admiralty court to try these brave patriots.

Yeah it's this. These people are some of the most willfully stupid humans ever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Things are heating up again. The Bundy case is almost done, and oh yeah, remember that Mumford guy? The electrocution fetish one?

Chief federal judge moves to prevent Marcus Mumford from practicing in federal court in OR

quote:

Attorney Marcus Mumford, who last month had criminal charges dismissed against him stemming from his arrest on the day his client Ammon Bundy was acquitted of conspiracy in federal court in Portland, now faces more legal challenges.

Oregon's Chief U.S. District Judge Michael W. Mosman is seeking to revoke Mumford's ability to practice law in any federal court in the District of Oregon, a rare move.

The judge has given Mumford until May 4 to argue in writing why he should not impose such a sanction. In a court filing Wednesday, Mosman cited Mumford's repeated failures or refusals to observe court rulings in the Bundy trial last fall, repeated instances of Mumford arguing with the judge with a raised voice and sometimes in the jury's presence, inappropriate commentary on a witness in the presence of a jury, his arguing for Bundy's release from trial after his acquittal "without a good-faith basis to believe that the pre-existing custody order'' from Nevada was not still in effect and his yelling at the court when he objected to the trial judge's rulings.

Bundy was transferred to a Nevada jail after his acquittal in Oregon. He awaits trial there on federal charges stemming from the 2014 armed standoff with federal land officers near his father Cliven Bundy's ranch in Bunkerville, Nevada.

Mosman also alleged that Mumford failed to timely disclose to the trial judge that Rick Koerber, who served as part of Bundy's defense team, was also a client of Mumford's in an unrelated, criminal proceeding. In 2014, a federal judge in Utah tossed out 18 charges against Koerber that had alleged he operated a giant Ponzi scheme through his real estate company, but Koerber was recently re-indicted on 18 charges in January.

The judge filed 25 exhibits with his order, mostly transcripts from Bundy's trial to support his move to revoke Mumford's admission to practice in federal court in Oregon.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://twitter.com/Vanessa_Murphy/status/852208173251313664

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jury now deliberating on the first bundy standoff trial. Appears likely to be a prosecutorial slam dunk.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Discendo Vox posted:

Jury now deliberating on the first bundy standoff trial. Appears likely to be a prosecutorial slam dunk.

I've heard that before.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've heard that before.
The last time was a real kick in the balls too.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I will remain hopeful. Seems like I might as well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Discendo Vox posted:

last time i read the trial that seemed in doubt? what changed? also last time we thought the same thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The court ruled against the admissibility of large parts of the defens case, and was far stricter in applying normal court rules to the defense. And prosecutors are targeting owe members first.

And most st of all, less publicity.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

The court ruled against the admissibility of large parts of the defens case, and was far stricter in applying normal court rules to the defense. And prosecutors are targeting owe members first.

And most st of all, less publicity.

In the first trial when defense did all its crazy stuff did the prosecutors just say "yeah whatever we're gonna win who cares"?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Juror #Douche was where the biggest hiccup came from.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

In the first trial when defense did all its crazy stuff did the prosecutors just say "yeah whatever we're gonna win who cares"?

Not the prosecutors, but the judge. Defense attorneys raised poo poo like nullification more than enough times to warrant disciplinary actions and a mistrial, but the judge just instructed the jury to disregard, which... doesn't really work so hot.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Especially when one of the jurors was already a fan of that stupid poo poo and oh hey look they ended up convincing everyone else to let a bunch of guilty-as-gently caress people walk. Didn't the people who got off on all charges include the guy who was arrested at Safeway after having stolen and driven a government truck there?

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Didn't the people who got off on all charges include the guy who was arrested at Safeway after having stolen and driven a government truck there?

quote:

Kenneth Medenbach, 62, of Crescent, Oregon, was apprehended by the Oregon State Police in Burns on January 15, while driving a government vehicle stolen from the refuge facility; a second vehicle stolen from the wildlife refuge was also recovered at the scene. Both vehicles bore altered markings of "Harney County Resource Center" on the doors, the unofficial name the militants have used for the refuge since shortly after the takeover.
Not Guilty!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A significant portion of the Oregon citizenship are apparently idiots.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Casimir Radon posted:

*votes to discontinue municipal water fluoridation*

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my autism nooo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

I resemble this remark.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

I, sir, will hold a drum circle to protest this post.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Casimir Radon posted:

Oregon is a profoundly conservative wingnut state save for most of Portland and the smaller-than-you-think town of Eugene. It's just so depopulated that Portland gets to largely rule the roost in overarching elections.

Basically the idea that Oregon is a liberal progressive paradise is totally wrong.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/Vanessa_Murphy/status/854799286621622272

mark your calendars for another multi-month boring trial with low coverage

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Oregon is a profoundly conservative wingnut state save for most of Portland and the smaller-than-you-think town of Eugene. It's just so depopulated that Portland gets to largely rule the roost in overarching elections.

Basically the idea that Oregon is a liberal progressive paradise is totally wrong.

That applies to a few states. *cough* NEW YORK *cough* WASHINGTON *cough*

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ansel autisms posted:

https://twitter.com/Vanessa_Murphy/status/854799286621622272

mark your calendars for another multi-month boring trial with low coverage

It's actually looking pretty fun. The judge has already apparently had a bunch of bogus claims filed as a part of it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Jury recessed till Monday it seems.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Telsa Cola posted:

Jury recessed till Monday it seems.

Lazy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trials usually don't occur on Fridays so the judge and clerks can get non trial stuff done

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it was never fluoridated to begin with!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

that's sort of true of rural areas everywhere (even though Oregon is often genuinely politically schizophrenic), but there's a bit more than that going on- i.e. the local conservative wingnuts often have a more libertarian bent than in other states and the left-leaning populations in Portland and Eugene have a pretty long history of skepticism towards the FBI and other federal authorities

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/8NewsNow/status/856551042124795904

verdict soon? now?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Oh yes now

https://twitter.com/NiaWong/status/856561822064926721

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/jennydwilson/status/856566022907641856

https://twitter.com/jennydwilson/status/856566281549398016

ftge

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Ahahahahahaha judge is having none of this hung jury bullshit

https://twitter.com/jennydwilson/status/856566997261312000

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
HOW???

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/856566765890883584

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

Ahahahahahaha judge is having none of this hung jury bullshit

https://twitter.com/jennydwilson/status/856566997261312000

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We're too stupid to continue like this forever.