Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
So I happened to notice today that I have some minor burn in from the page count section at the bottom. I've had this phone for a few years so many people probably wouldn't even have that happen. I do use the dark theme so many that makes it a bit worse? I was wondering if it was possible to have the page count fade down till you get towards the bottom of the page just to keep it from happening? I'll be updating my phone in a month or so anyway but the feature might look nice anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Teaches of Peaches posted:

So I happened to notice today that I have some minor burn in from the page count section at the bottom. I've had this phone for a few years so many people probably wouldn't even have that happen. I do use the dark theme so many that makes it a bit worse? I was wondering if it was possible to have the page count fade down till you get towards the bottom of the page just to keep it from happening? I'll be updating my phone in a month or so anyway but the feature might look nice anyway.

I don't want to have to get all the way to near the bottom (or top) of a page to jump pages forward or back. Anyway, I've been using this app extensively for more than 3 years on the same exact phone and never had an issue.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...

Longbaugh01 posted:

I don't want to have to get all the way to near the bottom (or top) of a page to jump pages forward or back. Anyway, I've been using this app extensively for more than 3 years on the same exact phone and never had an issue.

That's fair but I just wanted to put it out there. I only noticed it today and it's pretty minor on top of it. I'm sure there is a better solution than what I come up with it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Teaches of Peaches posted:

What phone are you using? This shouldn't be a problem on most recent phones.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

We did look into the whole 'UI disappears when you scroll down until you scroll back up' thing (like on Chrome) but it's complicated because of how the app is laid out. Nothing's ever easy!

The page bar is a little more dynamic these days so the elements move around (like if there's one icon on the left it'll be centered) but we can't really prevent phone issues like burn-in, you probably have it on the status bar and soft buttons too. My Galaxy Nexus did it, it sucks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

baka kaba posted:

We did look into the whole 'UI disappears when you scroll down until you scroll back up' thing (like on Chrome) but it's complicated because of how the app is laid out. Nothing's ever easy!

The page bar is a little more dynamic these days so the elements move around (like if there's one icon on the left it'll be centered) but we can't really prevent phone issues like burn-in, you probably have it on the status bar and soft buttons too. My Galaxy Nexus did it, it sucks

Galaxy Nexus was a bad phone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jeoh posted:

What phone are you using? This shouldn't be a problem on most recent phones.

He says he's had it for a few years. The burn-in issue hasn't been completely solved on phone OLEDs even today. Hell, I've seen store demo units with it in the not terribly distant past.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 10, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Every Samsung store unit that is running the Vodafone NZ demo reel has it and has it bad - it's immediately noticeable if you load up a white page.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
I have a Samsung S6. And like I said it's pretty minor and I was just tossing the problem out there. I don't think it would be serious issue but if there was an easy fix it would be nice just for avoiding any future issues. Thanks for the feedback though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Is this a feature request thread too? I'm a huge fan of the app, but one irritation I have is that pasting a YouTube link is a drat nightmare. Is it in the cards to have the app auto parse youtu.be links?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh yeah that's fixed too. The whole reply thing got reworked

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://youtu.be/QXvxaBYRMLM

Hmmm what an I don't wrong?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I assume he means it's fixed in the beta, which is not live yet.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So I just got the update to 3.3.0. The new reply box is cool and I just discovered Immersion Mode which is nice on my Nexus 6P. Good job guys.

New Frog inferior to Old Frog though. :colbert:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

No problems with the update so far.

Totally not trying out the new reply features :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Only if by "old frog" you mean the spinning one.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

These update notes are... interesting....

Also, the preview doesn't seem to be working. I'm posting from an S3.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It's supposed to have emoji at the start of each row, guess your phone can't understand them

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, a Galaxy s3 I think stops at Android 4.4 so your phone probably just can't display the emojis used.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The preview doesn't work on old/stock versions of the webview for probably really great reasons!!! but it should be ok if you have the play store version installed

Can't really be any more specific than that, it's not exactly easy to test

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I got the new update and I've noticed the three dots that launch the quote/edit post menu don't seem to show up on my Galaxy S7 Edge. The menu still pops up when I tap on the general area though.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
That new icon is horrific. Easily the ugliest looking thing on my phone. Any option to get the old one back?

Thanks for all your work on the app, I generally love it. That new icon was a serious WTF moment for me.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

insularis posted:

That new icon is horrific. Easily the ugliest looking thing on my phone. Any option to get the old one back?

Thanks for all your work on the app, I generally love it. That new icon was a serious WTF moment for me.

I encourage this sort of option if possible, but I was coming to this thread to express my delight with the new icon. Perfect for the new Android style changes.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Material frog is very good you old men afraid of change.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

grilldos posted:

As I tell my wife, "You have the wrong opinion."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

grilldos posted:

That's me! Please change the frog back.:cry:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Material Frog is okay, though there's no circular asset for Pixels (the only thing that matters). It's definitely better than the really out of place old icon. That can't have looked right on anything past Jelly Bean.

On a completely different note, will it ever be possible to set up a list of subforums we'd like quicker access to? Something like, well, the Something app? I regularly switch between the two and by far the biggest pain point is having to dig into the enormous and always-collapsed forum list to check the three or four subforums I want to read.

I have to imagine most users are similar, seldom venturing beyond a few favorite subforums, but maybe I'm wrong?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah the forum list is kinda set up for that now, just needs the actual favorites selection/storage part implementing :effortless:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

mrkillboy posted:

I got the new update and I've noticed the three dots that launch the quote/edit post menu don't seem to show up on my Galaxy S7 Edge. The menu still pops up when I tap on the general area though.

Similar issue, but only in YOSPOS. Sarnsung Galaxy A3:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is embedding Twitter posts on the roadmap? Kind of like how they appear on desktop.

E: cool it's disabled by default

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

At one point, couldn't you view the leper's colony? Or at least, view someone's rap sheet?

I could have sworn it used to be possible but it obviously isn't now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

The Material Frog is okay, though there's no circular asset for Pixels (the only thing that matters). It's definitely better than the really out of place old icon. That can't have looked right on anything past Jelly Bean.

On a completely different note, will it ever be possible to set up a list of subforums we'd like quicker access to? Something like, well, the Something app? I regularly switch between the two and by far the biggest pain point is having to dig into the enormous and always-collapsed forum list to check the three or four subforums I want to read.

I have to imagine most users are similar, seldom venturing beyond a few favorite subforums, but maybe I'm wrong?

I think I recall threads in the past coming to the conclusion that most users live out of their bookmarks, but I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering correctly.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Wrist Watch posted:

At one point, couldn't you view the leper's colony? Or at least, view someone's rap sheet?

The Awful iOS app lets you view others' rap sheets. That's what you might be thinking of.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

The Material Frog is okay, though there's no circular asset for Pixels (the only thing that matters)

It's pretty circular though :colbert:

quote:

The code in question was too unflexible until recently, now

baka kaba posted:

Yeah the forum list is kinda set up for that now, just needs the actual favorites selection/storage part implementing :effortless:
However no time has been invested in that yet as:

Thermopyle posted:

I think I recall threads in the past coming to the conclusion that most users live out of their bookmarks, but I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering correctly.

redleader posted:

Similar issue, but only in YOSPOS. Sarnsung Galaxy A3:

Oh I guess that's what

baka kaba posted:

Just noticed I can't see the post menu overflow ... thing on my API 16 emulator, but it is held together with string and gum
meant. Weird, I tested this on my older devices and it worked. Not sure why it wouldn't on an S7 of all things. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Wrist Watch posted:

Awful.app has that feature. Non of the Android apps do.

insularis posted:

I'll post a large enough version of the old one in the OP when I get back If you have a custom launcher you can replace the new one there. It will still be in the app though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

OhFunny posted:

The Awful iOS app lets you view others' rap sheets. That's what you might be thinking of.

That is a nice feature.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh good Awful app is now Pepe app

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, a Galaxy s3 I think stops at Android 4.4 so your phone probably just can't display the emojis used.

It looked the same for me, on a Zuk Z1 with CyanogenOS 12.1 (= Android 5.1.1). Those emojis could be only on Android 6 and 7, I guess.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

It's pretty circular though :colbert:

It's certainly close! I only mention it because I think apps are supposed to define a circular one in addition to the other.

Sereri posted:

The code in question was too unflexible until recently, now

However no time has been invested in that yet as:

I do a lot of moving via bookmarks but I know a few goons and all of them must be weird like me because they do about an equal amount of time going to a subforum to scan for new & interesting threads. If we're all out of the norm it wouldn't really surprise me, but on the other hand it kind of would? I mean it's not my time and effort so it's neither here nor there, I just find it strange.

As long as you're answering questions I have another:

Why no fixed width font on the YOSPOS thread listing? The colors already change when you go to it, why not the font too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Let us flip the frog, Sereri, or we'll flip the bird. :(