Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Star Man posted:

There is one dragon in Shards of Alara block that is uncommon. The rest are all rares or mythic rares. And all dragons in Onslaught block are rare, even though Scourge pushes a dragon tribe.

Scourge was only made a dragon themed set after the fact. The original design was "cmc matters" and the dragon flavor was added afterward.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

TheChirurgeon posted:

I don't think it has anything to do with the hypothetical 'dumbest idiot player.' Rather, I think it was more about whether younger players (the "Yugioh crowd" if you will) would be turned off by the idea of playing a game that was 20 years old. Think more "Magic? That's the game my fuckin dad plays"

It was still a very, very dumb move.

Yeah for me this still fits under the umbrella of dumbest motherfucker imaginable.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you know thats a funny post in light of yugioh being almost 20 years old itself

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mandatory lesbian posted:

the set's gonna prob have terror, it'll be fine

and even if somehow they forget to put in any removal whatsoever shivan dragon isn't going to break the format

Obviously gonna need Earthbind with the original art in a set full of uncommon flyers.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mandatory lesbian posted:

you know thats a funny post in light of yugioh being almost 20 years old itself

Yeah but it didn't hit the US until the early 2000s and hit its heyday around 2009/2010. Flash back to 2010/2011 when the decisions were being made for what to do for Magic's 20th anniversary, and you can see how a bunch of older execs worried about the game's loosening grip on younger players and the competition might get squeamish about advertising how old their game was.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

whydirt posted:

Scourge was only made a dragon themed set after the fact. The original design was "cmc matters" and the dragon flavor was added afterward.

In hindsight, pre-Ravnica sets being inconsistently themed with the rest of the block was an absolutely terrible decision. My favorite was Fifth Dawn being rainbow themed in a block about colorless artifacts

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

dragon enthusiast posted:

In hindsight, pre-Ravnica sets being inconsistently themed with the rest of the block was an absolutely terrible decision. My favorite was Fifth Dawn being rainbow themed in a block about colorless artifacts

It wasn't all of them--Invasion/Planeshift/Apocalypse was pretty tight as a gold block

Odyssey block was loving weird though

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Star Man posted:

There is one dragon in Shards of Alara block that is uncommon. The rest are all rares or mythic rares. And all dragons in Onslaught block are rare, even though Scourge pushes a dragon tribe.

whydirt posted:

The funniest part about this is that the "dragon tribal set" had a whopping FOUR dragon creatures in it.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Lone Goat posted:

The funniest part about this is that the "dragon tribal set" had a whopping FOUR dragon creatures in it.

Early Magic sets were even weirder about this, they just had no cohesion at all compared to modern ones. For example Fallen Empires had two goblin tribal cards (Grenade and Warrens) and only two actual Creature - Goblins, of which one is a rare and the other is a 0/2.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah but it didn't hit the US until the early 2000s and hit its heyday around 2009/2010. Flash back to 2010/2011 when the decisions were being made for what to do for Magic's 20th anniversary, and you can see how a bunch of older execs worried about the game's loosening grip on younger players and the competition might get squeamish about advertising how old their game was.

It hit its heyday when the first season of the show was airing on American TV in 2001-2002. Also, 2001 was 16 years ago.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lone Goat posted:

And one of them was a wizard.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You hear that? That's the sound of the price of Flusterstorm blasting off into space.

http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/2016/08/commander-anthology-magic-gathering-spoilers-news-updates/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ultiville posted:

Early Magic sets were even weirder about this, they just had no cohesion at all compared to modern ones. For example Fallen Empires had two goblin tribal cards (Grenade and Warrens) and only two actual Creature - Goblins, of which one is a rare and the other is a 0/2.

Early magic sets were intended to be expansion sets not to be played on their own without cards from the core sets. Ice Age was the first expansion that was supposed to be self-contained.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Star Man posted:

You hear that? That's the sound of the price of Flusterstorm blasting off into space.

http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/2016/08/commander-anthology-magic-gathering-spoilers-news-updates/

Those decks don't seem particularly tribal.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

CompeAnansi posted:

Those decks don't seem particularly tribal.
There's also five decks, because that's the anthology reprint of the original 2011 Commander decks. Commander 2017 is due... November or something?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Alpha only had one merfolk for Lord of Atlantis (who wasn't a merfolk himself) to affect: Merfolk of the Pearl Trident.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ultima66 posted:

It hit its heyday when the first season of the show was airing on American TV in 2001-2002. Also, 2001 was 16 years ago.

The card game didn't even get published in the US until 2002. The heyday of the card game was much later than the heyday of the show

e: 2009 was when they got their Guiness shout-out for being the best-selling card game of all time

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tales of Woe posted:

Alpha only had one merfolk for Lord of Atlantis (who wasn't a merfolk himself) to affect: Merfolk of the Pearl Trident.

Goblin King wasn't much better, with only Mons' Goblin Raiders and Goblin Balloon Brigade.

And Zombie Master only had Scathe Zombies until Scavenging Ghoul much later got errata'd to be a zombie (it was originally just "summon ghoul".)

Originally, the lords didn't even affect each other in multiples, because their type line was "summon Lord" rather than "summon goblin" or "summon zombie" or "summon merfolk".

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tales of Woe posted:

Wasn't that true of the zombie lord too? I don't remember any other than Scathe Zombies.

Edit: Fallen empires had multiple Goblins-Matters cards in it and the only goblin was Goblin Chirurgeon, itself a goblins matters card.

I know this acutely because I did a giant fallen empires sealed event a while back.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I know this acutely because I did a giant fallen empires sealed event a while back.

Why would you do this to yourself.

That kind of thing is always way more fun to joke about than actually do.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wasn't that true of the zombie lord too? I don't remember any other than Scathe Zombies.

Edit: Fallen empires had multiple Goblins-Matters cards in it and the only goblin was Goblin Chirurgeon, itself a goblins matters card.

I think Goblin Flotilla is a Goblin, isn't it?

There was Scavenging Zombie and Scathe Zombies in Alpha.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 20, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tales of Woe posted:

Yeah, the creature tribes were all tiny until I guess... the Dark was probably the first set to really go ahead and add support to Goblins at least. Legends had some Legends matter and Kobolds, but both were new things.

Ice age also introduced a handful to the major tribes by mostly being flavors of alpha creatures.

Then Fallen Empires ran with the idea, but decided to have multiple tribes per color in a set with a small number of cards, and gahhhh.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Yes, and a rare.

Angry Grimace posted:

Scavenging Ghoul was "summon Ghoul" until 2007.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/grand-creature-type-update-2007-09-26

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Entropic posted:

Why would you do this to yourself.

That kind of thing is always way more fun to joke about than actually do.

A box of 5th was cheap enough on ebay for a while that i was considering running a draft pod under 5th ed rules for my friends. In addition to me, there were at least 2 more judge level people who had played back in the day to arbitrate any disputes.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

clamiam45 posted:

Yeah for me this still fits under the umbrella of dumbest motherfucker imaginable.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Angry Grimace posted:

Yes, and this time I double checked and it even was at the time.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

LSV's horny for black cards.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Yeah but you gotta remember that they made those sets with no limit on cards, so the idea was you'd run like 15 copies of Merfolk of the Pearl Trident or Scathe Zombies

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah but you gotta remember that they made those sets with no limit on cards, so the idea was you'd run like 15 copies of Merfolk of the Pearl Trident or Scathe Zombies

That wasn't really true of even sets as early as Fallen Empires, though. Mostly they just hadn't come up with the idea that sets should stand alone and have mechanical themes, they were for the most part collections of cards maybe with some sort of story link. Fallen Empires was actually a step forward in those terms, though it was still really lose cf goblin tribal support.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ultiville posted:

That wasn't really true of even sets as early as Fallen Empires, though. Mostly they just hadn't come up with the idea that sets should stand alone and have mechanical themes, they were for the most part collections of cards maybe with some sort of story link. Fallen Empires was actually a step forward in those terms, though it was still really lose cf goblin tribal support.

Yeah, I just meant with Scathe Zombies and Merfolk of the Pearl Trident. The 4-of rule predates Fallen Empires

e: also Fallen Empires did a mix of Orcs and goblins

e2: Dwarves too. They definitely tried packing too much poo poo into each color

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 21, 2017

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
What if they're getting around the reserved list by recompiling cards that they had printed way back in the day?

Something like how they put old cards into the first printing of Zendikar?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Sexual Shiite posted:

What if they're getting around the reserved list by recompiling cards that they had printed way back in the day?

How many of those remain? How much of that has been given away as supplemental bonuses to employees?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What if they got around the reserved list by removing it, given that no one who qualitatively exists supports it?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I think they quietly acquired those cards from second-hand sellers and insert them into packs. The masterpiece cards in Battle for Zendikar are a callback to that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What if they got around the reserved list by removing it, given that no one who qualitatively exists supports it?

I have met a single person in my nine years of the game that would be angry if the reserved list was eliminated. This same person complained that Tarmogoyf is overprinted.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
They can get rid of the reserve list but it won't lead to an appreciable decrease in the cost of Vintage or Legacy staples. They will very carefully control their print runs and make anything super valuable a "Masterpiece". At the end of the day it will make very little difference for people trying to get into those formats just like Modern Masters has done gently caress all for Modern affordability.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Smashing Link posted:

They can get rid of the reserve list but it won't lead to an appreciable decrease in the cost of Vintage or Legacy staples. They will very carefully control their print runs and make anything super valuable a "Masterpiece". At the end of the day it will make very little difference for people trying to get into those formats just like Modern Masters has done gently caress all for Modern affordability.

If you don't believe modern masters has gone a long way to making modern more affordable, you are an idiot.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Smashing Link posted:

What??? Masters sets have done wonders for prices of singles. The prices tend to go back up because more people buy into the formats and increase the demand.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Star Man posted:

I have met a single person in my nine years of the game that would be angry if the reserved list was eliminated. This same person complained that Tarmogoyf is overprinted.

I know of 3. One is our LGS owner who is otherwise a decent guy. The other 2 are #mtgfinance types so screw 'em.

ThePeavstenator posted:

What??? Masters sets have done wonders for prices of singles. The prices tend to go back up because more people buy into the formats and increase the demand.

Nonono, something speculators something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Exactly. It's great to expand the format but the prices always rebound.