Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pollyanna posted:

I sure don't. "At least we didn't get reported for no reason."

Look, I'm just saying it's really silly to make such a big deal and then not even be able to produce 20 examples that are objectively errors. You might not think those two examples sound good but that is a far cry from making a flashy website about how they represent Atlus "failing fans".

Oxxidation posted:

They don't. Not remotely. "Being reported arbitrarily" isn't a phrase that exists in conversational English, and it pairs poorly with "worst-case scenario."

Again, you're talking about personal preference and not actual errors.

Like, I just imagined someone with a Southern drawl in a Coen Bros. movie saying "You may have done a variety of things... in hiding... in your hometown..." and it sounds great. You should try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

"Being reported arbitrarily" isn't a phrase that exists in conversational English

I think this is complaining arbitrarily

Pollyanna posted:

My favorite line in the game is still

This, otoh, is perfectly understandable, and there are definitely lines in the game that don't make sense and outright grammatical errors.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Look, I'm just saying it's really silly to make such a big deal and then not even be able to produce 20 examples that are objectively errors. You might not think those two examples sound good but that is a far cry from making a flashy website about how they represent Atlus "failing fans".

Again, you're talking about personal preference and not actual errors.

Like, I just imagined someone with a Southern drawl in a Coen Bros. movie saying "You may have done a variety of things... in hiding... in your hometown..." and it sounds great. You should try it.

Or you can look at the actual context and the way it's spoken in the game itself and realize it's a really stilted way to translate something like, "You might have gotten away with a lot wherever you came from."

You're being really weird about this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of Engrish, I keep hearing the line "On the razor's edge now" as "I'm a racist H now".

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Suguru Kamoshida was a scum.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

Tell that to the guy who made a website about it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

So are you.

Whether a given phrase is "conversational English", and the value of "conversational English" in literary dialogue, is subjective.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This conversation is interesting to literally nobody except people who care about translation work like me so the point is moot anyway. There's clearly a common threshold where The Mattering takes place and we haven't quite hit that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Sticking to conversational English is such a weird thing to tie yourself too because no one speaks correctly 100% of the time, we mumble, we stutter, we pick words we don't exactly mean to continue to the flow of conversation, our sentences are all over the place, it's a mess

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ann, are you okay? Is yours cracked as well?

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Just beat the palace 7 boss and dude goes full-on Senator Armstrong at the end, holy poo poo I love it :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moltrey posted:

Sticking to conversational English is such a weird thing to tie yourself too because no one speaks correctly 100% of the time, we mumble, we stutter, we pick words we don't exactly mean to continue to the flow of conversation, our sentences are all over the place, it's a mess

Talk on your own. I am amazing that I am doing English.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
A better way to say it is that it doesn't sound natural to the character speaking it, because it's not how English is typically constructed in a casual context. "Being reported arbitrarily" is the sort of phrase you would typically encounter in a dry clerical report, not in casual conversation, and there are very few characters who would defer to that kind of vocabulary in dialogue.

It's telling that two of the most awkwardly translated characters are Sae and the third Palace's Shadow, who are both portrayed as being more "proper" than others (because one's an uptight police detective and the other is a caricature of a stuffy bank exec). Consequently that "too-correct English" hits their lines full-force, and they talk like they just got concussed with a copy of Strunk & White.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pollyanna posted:

This conversation is interesting to literally nobody except people who care about translation work like me so the point is moot anyway. There's clearly a common threshold where The Mattering takes place and we haven't quite hit that.

Yeah, sorry, it's just I'm a writer and have been in some variety of writing field since I was 19 so I probably am more forgiving. If you guys think those sentences are bad, dear God, never work in writing!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Moltrey posted:

The thing is, conversation English *does* have rules... they are just not anything like the nonsense English classes tend to teach ;-)

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Just finished Palace 6. Going through the post-Palace cutscene.

gently caress Akechi.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
this is the loving worst

hey remember how akechi is the biggest jerk in the history of jerks and if you like him you are objectively a terrible human being? he's ugly!

e: ^^^^ :hfive:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moltrey posted:

The amount of information that has to be conveyed vs. the available amount of time to convey it without being boring is insanely hard to juggle and it's one reason there are far more novelists than screenwriters.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Translation is pretty good actually

Edit: Also this S-Link is amazing

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

precision posted:

Yeah, sorry, it's just I'm a writer and have been in some variety of writing field since I was 19 so I probably am more forgiving. If you guys think those sentences are bad, dear God, never work in writing!
I feel you there, as an English undergrad "At least we avoided the worst-case scenario of being reported arbitrarily" does not even blow my hair back. Like yeah, it's not great, man that it is not even the worst sentence I've seen today

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Please don't take illicit screenshots

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Whoever was the translator for the dialogue options in Confidants was a good translator.

Whoever let "It can't be helped" into the script like 20 times is a bad translator, because that's just not a phrase people say in English.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Whoever was the translator for the dialogue options in Confidants was a good translator.

Whoever let "It can't be helped" into the script like 20 times is a bad translator, because that's just not a phrase people say in English.

"It's rare to-" is less jarring but I'm seeing that one pop up a ton too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Haru definitely should have been introduced earlier. She's great and probably my favorite party member.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Moltrey posted:

I feel you there, as an English undergrad "At least we avoided the worst-case scenario of being reported arbitrarily" does not even blow my hair back. Like yeah, it's not great, man that it is not even the worst sentence I've seen today

Oh boy, I can't imagine how depressing grading people's essays might be. Probably halfway to summoning Nyx. (So is grading people's math).

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I don't have enough Proficiency to be friends with Haru :saddowns:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Pastrymancy posted:

It's funny how you can be skillful enough to pick a lock, yet somehow be unable to plant a vegetable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pastrymancy posted:

Time to do shady errands for Scary Gun Store Man!

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Post-palace 6 Major Spoilers:

I am supremely glad this game suddenly became all about dunking Akechi. The plan and execution is presented in a way that makes a delightful amount of sense with retrospect. I didn't catch the pancake thing, but that was a pretty good set up.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

bewilderment posted:

See, I've heard someone else say that too, but I definitely know folks who have said "It can't be helped" that don't interact with Japanese media at all (so they're not putting it in their vocabulary by osmosis). So it's passed into parlance at some point along the way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's slightly bullshit that you can't hang out with your new party members until you beat the dungeon you get them in, because not having Baton Pass is making me wonder if I shouldn't have Makoto on the squad 24/7

e: "It can't be helped" is a regular human phrase, I had never heard until literally just now that anyone associated it with video games

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Now that I have finished Futaba's confidant stuff, anyone that picks the romantic option for her is probably a weirdo. Please don't date your emotionally and socially stunted sister.

I am definitely disappointed that "time to button mash" wasn't an option during her rank 8 confidant quest.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"It can't be helped" was a common phrase in my home growing up and my parents are not exactly the type that cross over with fans of niche video games or anime or anything like that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
仕方が無い

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, part of the issue with this translation stuff is that regional norms and phrasing varies incredibly within a language. I hear people say "It can't be helped" all the time.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Now that I have finished Futaba's confidant stuff, anyone that picks the romantic option for her is probably a weirdo. Please don't date your emotionally and socially stunted sister.

No.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
So that boss rush near the end of palace 7 was a thing holy heck. Mini-boss > 3 stage boss > send card > 5 stage boss OK!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'it can't be helped' isn't criticized because it's some nonsense phrase that nobody ever says, it's that it's a very bland way to translate a sentence that is fairly common in japanese. every single character just saying 'it can't be helped' when that line comes up means that all of those characters come across as having somewhat similar voices. there are other ways to communicate the same thing with more flavor, or have it come across. using the line a few times or for more polite-sounding characters, is fine. when every character gets their turn on the 'it can't be helped' bus, it comes across like lazy translation work.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

'it can't be helped' isn't criticized because it's some nonsense phrase that nobody ever says, it's that it's a very bland way to translate a sentence that is fairly common in japanese. every single character just saying 'it can't be helped' when that line comes up means that all of those characters come across as having somewhat similar voices. there are other ways to communicate the same thing with more flavor, or have it come across. using the line a few times or for more polite-sounding characters, is fine. when every character gets their turn on the 'it can't be helped' bus, it comes across like lazy translation work.

bewilderment posted:

Oxxidation posted:

"It's rare to-" is less jarring but I'm seeing that one pop up a ton too.

These posts seem to disagree with you since they seem to think the phrase itself is a nonsense phrase no one uses.

I get that maybe you just feel it was overused, but that isn't what other people were arguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I liked the translation for the most part. RIP me I guess.