Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Eopia posted:

Now that we've seen the desert area and the desert housing area... My own personal theory is that the hub city was built after Nier, given that I don't remember that game having a city just hanging about despite being in the same general area since Facade is (or was rather) here.

Weren't Tokyo's ruins just down the street from everything the whole time in the first Nier? Shadowlord's Castle was there, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nohman posted:

Weren't Tokyo's ruins just down the street from everything the whole time in the first Nier? Shadowlord's Castle was there, right?
You got to it by taking an elevator in a direction that would not lead you to the top of a building, to arrive at the top of a building. You got there through Weird Magic poo poo.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

Danaru posted:

I miss Zero, she was the perfect Rick :(

Oh god, then Mikhail would be Morty in this case. Just imagine a whiny Morty getting all pissed at those stupid job-stealing wyverns.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HR12345 posted:

Oh god, then Mikhail would be Morty in this case. Just imagine a whiny Morty getting all pissed at those stupid job-stealing wyverns.

"I...I dunno, Rick, I just don't think Wyverns should be treated like people."

"Morty..."

"They're not people, Rick. They're lazy, shiftless job thieves, and you know what? I think if they won't leave, we should make them go!"

"Geeze, Morty, we're just going to loving murder them. There's no need to be racist about it."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rick in Zero's outfit :barf:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Next update will probably be Saturday. In the meantime, a preview...

Owowowowowow. Scared. Dying. Scared.
Are... are we the baddies?
*kickflips off dying machine* Pfft. Nothing the machines do means anything, 2B. Now strike a pose. Imma get the Pod to upload this to YoRHatube.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 21, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is that Gigantor?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

I mean, to be absolutely clear, there is no way most of the ruins we see in this game are over 10,000 years old, which would make them significantly older than the pyramids.

At this point I can't tell if this is because platinum didn't care enough or if this is some insane Yoko Taro foreshadowing. Could really go either way.

Edit: Man, I would be shocked if Yorha didn't have some weird version of Vine or Instagram.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Kavak posted:

Is that Gigantor?

Probably.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
2B and 9S can't be the baddies. I mean, the machines don't have skulls to harvest and wear. So there's no problem at all there!

Zero did collect skulls if I remember well, but she wasn't wearing them, just selling them, so that was also totally cool.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

At this point the protagonists of a Yoko Taro game not being in some way bad guys would be the biggest plot twist.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I mean, that's basically the twist of Drakengard 3.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Caim did nothing wrong. I mean, when you get down to it, he ended up saving the world. Well, a world. He kind of hosed up another in the process, but hey, that wasn't intended. The main problem the protagonists of Drakengard and Nier tend to have is unintended consequences arising from their actions, not outright malicious intent. We'll see if this game goes in the same direction.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

oath2order posted:

Edit: Man, I would be shocked if Yorha didn't have some weird version of Vine or Instagram.
9S's memories could have been saved if there wasn't a half-dozen pods running YoRHaTorrent over the Earth-Bunker link. :argh:

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
That is a massive cloak thing it has on.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I forget, did Drakengard 3 ever establish why the flower was bad other than the six giant salt women at the end

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Calaveron posted:

I forget, did Drakengard 3 ever establish why the flower was bad other than the six giant salt women at the end

It did a whole bunch of freaky parasite poo poo beforehand.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Caim did nothing wrong. I mean, when you get down to it, he ended up saving the world. Well, a world. He kind of hosed up another in the process, but hey, that wasn't intended. The main problem the protagonists of Drakengard and Nier tend to have is unintended consequences arising from their actions, not outright malicious intent. We'll see if this game goes in the same direction.

The world was kind of hosed no matter what, given that Caim didn't want to bone his sister.

Calaveron posted:

The total enslavement of anyone who worshipped an Intoner wasn't enough?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Calaveron posted:

It was a manifestation of the Watchers.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Calaveron posted:

It let an idiot like Cent indirectly use magic which led to hilarious consequences for all involved.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I await the tale of 2B's new axe/halberd and all the misery it will bring.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Well, there's the fact that the Intoners were all most likely going to do the Grotesquerie Queen thing and destroy the world, the flower being made of Watchers, the-

It let an idiot like Cent indirectly use magic which led to hilarious consequences for all involved.

Actually, this right here is the best reason. The flower is evil because it enabled the events of Two's DLC to happen. :smith:

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
This was such a good goddamn game and I haven't read the thread yet but you're gonna have A GOOD TIME dark id.
(There's like 27 endings and most of them are easy to get :3:)
Plus there's that one adorable character.

P.S.
Please moose drift off a cliff and harvest its delicious innards.

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 21, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nier, sure. Caim had PLENTY of malicious intent, you just didn't notice as much because his tongue got cursed and one of his buddies canonically ate babies.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
But then she got eaten by babies, so that cancels out!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

But then she got eaten by babies, so that cancels out!

Does that sort of thing cancel out by number, or by total weight? Like, if you ate like 30 babies, do you have to be eaten by 30 giant babies, or is one baby okay as long as it weighs more than the 30 babies? Asking for a friend

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Does that sort of thing cancel out by number, or by total weight? Like, if you ate like 30 babies, do you have to be eaten by 30 giant babies, or is one baby okay as long as it weighs more than the 30 babies? Asking for a friend

Nah, it's via spectacle.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Spiritus Nox posted:

Nier, sure. Caim had PLENTY of malicious intent, you just didn't notice as much because his tongue got cursed and one of his buddies canonically ate babies.

He did seem to genuinely care about his sister, his friend (before he went evil, anyway), and the dragon. And he never refused to do what he could to save the world.

He also just so happened to love killing and hurting people too. You don't need to be a good person to save something.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, one of the jokes of Drakengard is that it's about extremely bad people trying to save the world. The red dragon is definitely not a nice lady herself.

If it had been less annoyingly-written, Drakengard 2 would have been a nice counterpoint, since it was about well-meaning people mistakenly almost destroying the world all over again.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The flower is connected to.the Watchers, the Watchers were created by the not!Earth's not!God who wants to destroy humanity or something.

I think the Drakenier wiki says that the Angels from D3 were also a form of Watchers.

And white chloridation syndrome was Earth humans who were given a choice to make the pact with not!God, becoming red-eyed Not Appearing In This Videogame monsters (similar to Not Appearing In This Videogame Aliens), or rejecting it and becoming pillars of salt.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drakengard was, "What kind of person would be a Dynasty Warriors protagonist?" (The answer is the God of Murder in human form)

Nier was "What would it take for a good person to do the worst thing possible?"

Drakengard III was "What would it take for a terrible person to save the world?"

We'll find out what Automata's question is eventually.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Looking at it from a different angle, Taro's said in the past that Drakengard was saying "To kill all those people, you'd have to be psychotic", whereas Nier, coming when his viewpoint had matured a little, was saying "actually I guess you just have to think you're right".

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Unlucky7 posted:

He did seem to genuinely care about his sister, his friend (before he went evil, anyway), and the dragon. And he never refused to do what he could to save the world.

He also just so happened to love killing and hurting people too. You don't need to be a good person to save something.

I can't comment on Caim's actual personality because TDI's Caim is canon to me, including his Nier cameo :colbert:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I haven't played the game, haven't even seen much in the way of spoilers, but something just twigged for me.

Why is the icon for the thread Romhack?

No, don't actually answer, you idiot. Yes you, the one who wants to post spoilers. Stop.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What's a paladin romhack?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

JcDent posted:

What's a paladin romhack?

I mean, the one text log we've seen has a YoRHa get a virus, so anything that says something about hacking in relation to this game throws up red flags about what may happen to any buddies we meet.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skylight posted:

Well, there's the fact that the Intoners were all most likely going to do the Grotesquerie Queen thing and destroy the world, the flower being made of Watchers, the-

Actually, this right here is the best reason. The flower is evil because it enabled the events of Two's DLC to happen. :smith:

Isn't it something like:
God created dragon's who were dicks, so created watchers to kill the dragons but they got sealed away. The flower was the key to unlocking the watchers.
Also, human's are both awesome bros (which the dragons like) and religious tools (which the dragons don't like) which explains why one of the ending of Drakengard had the dragons kill all of humanity.

At least that's how I like to interpret Drakengard. Nier is its own thing, and is somewhat more simple to explain.

Honestly a lot of Drakengard and Nier mixes with Berzerk in my head. I'm not sure what series is worse right now. I'd say Berzerk mostly because the manga is stupid slow with releases.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Berserk. It's spelled Berserk. And if I remember D3 correctly, Dragons are really the only counter to whatever the flower could pull off.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

There's a pretty clear answer here. it was in the game.

It's yes. The answer is yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Speedball posted:

If it had been less annoyingly-written, Drakengard 2 would have been a nice counterpoint, since it was about well-meaning people mistakenly almost destroying the world all over again.

The one good thing about Drakengard 2 was that the world looked a whole lot better than it was in the first game on the outside; Things were relatively peaceful and the seals are intact. However, look a bit deeper and you see things are DEEPLY broken; the new order is oppressing the citizens of the enemy empire of the first game and forcing them to live near the seals, which are powered by human suffering. It makes sense that decent people would stand up against this.

Unfortunately, where it falls apart is that the world ending after the seals break isn't religious uncertainty, but a known fact (This is just a decade or so after the first game so they can't write it off as legend or myth), and the 'heroes 'involved seem completely oblivious to this. Maybe it could have worked if a) the protagonists were working on the assumption that they have or will discover a better solution along the way, or b) just have them go 'If THIS is as good as things will get, then gently caress it, I don't care. Burn it all down.'

• Locked thread