Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

bewilderment posted:

Whoever was the translator for the dialogue options in Confidants was a good translator.

Whoever let "It can't be helped" into the script like 20 times is a bad translator, because that's just not a phrase people say in English.

I say that quite often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

These posts seem to disagree with you since they seem to think the phrase itself is a nonsense phrase no one uses.

I get that maybe you just feel it was overused, but that isn't what other people were arguing.
yeah and those people are wrong, also, and i was disagreeing with them too.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
the translation couldn't be helped

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
"it can't be helped" and "i won't lose!"/"don't lose to <person>!" are the most japanese phrases ever according to JRPGs i've played and lovely animes i have watched, they are the white-noise non-statements to fill out conversation and/or generic encouragement and it's both endearing and annoying

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The difference between those is that I won't lose is a cool phrase that should be more common in actual English, and can't be helped is a boring nothing that shouldn't

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The problem isn't the phrase, it's the mechanical translation of certain Japanese phrases into equivalent English phrases with no thought. Like, "it can't be helped" is literally what it says in a Japanese-English dictionary, so if you use that all the time it's no better than Google translate. Which is certainly a problem, but I think the backlash to it as a phrase in and of itself is a bit weird.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The dumb translation posters can't be helped.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Clarste posted:

The problem isn't the phrase, it's the mechanical translation of certain Japanese phrases into equivalent English phrases with no thought. Like, "it can't be helped" is literally what it says in a Japanese-English dictionary, so if you use that all the time it's no better than Google translate. Which is certainly a problem, but I think the backlash to it as a phrase in and of itself is a bit weird.

imagine being a japanese person and every western rpg that gets imported has dialogue options that say "true that" or something equally inane, and it crops up everywhere and in everything related to western media that you consume

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

imagine being a japanese person and every western rpg that gets imported has dialogue options that say "true that" or something equally inane, and it crops up everywhere and in everything related to western media that you consume
frankly if every conversation in mass effect had an option to just say 'true that,' the game would be a lot better.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Morgana is my fav character in the game just because he looks so happy while you're bombing around town. The face he makes after a movie? :3: :3:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

AlternateNu posted:

Finally got my copy today. Two hours in, and the only disappointment so far is they changed the VA for Igor.

Like...what the gently caress, Atlus?

The new VA grew on me, finish the game and come back with your thoughts!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

guts and bolts posted:

this would own

ACOPKILLEDMYDOG
Aug 7, 2013
I find it completely bonkers that this game never once mentions "Narcisitic Mortification" they never talk about how it's a Thing that They Are Doing, like they talk about the steps of it but they never mention the actual name of it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

frankly if every conversation in mass effect had an option to just say 'true that,' the game would be a lot better.

Mass Effect could have used more joke responses in general

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Moltrey posted:

this would own

true that

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Zore posted:

These posts seem to disagree with you since they seem to think the phrase itself is a nonsense phrase no one uses.

I get that maybe you just feel it was overused, but that isn't what other people were arguing.

I'm actually agreeing with Endorph, just putting it in a much less correct way and the "true that" example is that, basically.
"Shikata ga nai" is a phrase that turns up in Japanese a lot but while "it can't be helped" is the literal translation, in terms of how it's used it's probably closer to "oh well" or "forget about it".
If only Persona did it then it would just be a little quirk but it's more aggravating because it shows up in a lot of poorly translated anime and video games.

It's also doubling aggravating because it's a very fatalistic phrase when translated literally and seems like it communicates more about the 'Japanese mindset' than it actually does.

I think a similar translation in equivalent would be if the word "cool" was always translated as "that's quite chill". Technically it means the same thing but it would be weird to have that pop up everywhere said by every character.

edit:
Actually another super weird Japanese thing to leave in is Futaba calling Yusuke 'Inari' at times. Yeah OK Inari is the god of foxes in Shinto but in English it's a weird thing to call him and probably doesn't have the same connotation that calling him something else would.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 21, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Akechi looks more like a Fox than Yusuke to me

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Regarding Palace 7:

If I go through it, is that it for being able to do social events and whatnot? I'm trying to finish up what I can before then, saving the palace for the last possible minute/when I feel I can't finish up a S Link.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kalsco posted:

Regarding Palace 7:

If I go through it, is that it for being able to do social events and whatnot? I'm trying to finish up what I can before then, saving the palace for the last possible minute/when I feel I can't finish up a S Link.

No, the last normal day for social links etc is 12/23. You can finish palace 7 whenever you want.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

High-level fusion is addicting man, seeing all those numbers go up. I just blew more than a half-million yen making a stacked Ishtar and Michael

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Guess it's my turn to be insanely offended by a joke b/c (post palace 7) ryuji almost dies saving everyone in a cool rear end moment & his reward is to get knocked the gently caress out in a 4v1 curb stomp and left behind as everyone walks away to celebrate. that's a real dick move

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

darealkooky posted:

Guess it's my turn to be insanely offended by a joke b/c (post palace 7) ryuji almost dies saving everyone in a cool rear end moment & his reward is to get knocked the gently caress out in a 4v1 curb stomp and left behind as everyone walks away to celebrate. that's a real dick move

It was a beatdown out of love.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

darealkooky posted:

why would 4 of my mc's 4 girlfriends cheat on him by giving ryuji some love such as a hug, h*nd h*ld or peck on the cheek in happiness at his survival?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

darealkooky posted:

Is joke. Maybe be less uptight da?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So I recommend getting Haru's Baton Pass ASAP, not only because a powered-up One-Shot Kill is savage, but she also seems the happiest when you pass to her

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

darealkooky posted:

Just lol if your ladyfriends don't routinely beat you up out of love.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
translation stuff would probably bother me more if I wasn't really enjoying all the voice performances which is the thing that I was really worried about

like the first third of this game would have been a lot worse with a mediocre voice for Ryuji or Morgana

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
"It can't be helped" is a really common phrase in english. What is wrong with you people

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

"It can't be helped" is a really common phrase in english. What is wrong with you people

I'm not convinced I've ever heard it in real life. Regional variation is huge.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
"What can you do?"
"That's just the way it is"
"Que sera sera"
"Whatever man"
"That's the way the cookie crumbles"

All spiritually mean pretty close to the same thing.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not convinced I've ever heard it in real life. Regional variation is huge.

Are you claiming the english to english translation is poor!?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

The problem is when everyone says it.

Ryuji could say: "Welp, I've got nothing."
Ann could say: "Sorry, I can't think of anything."
Yusuke could say: "Hm... some way to deal with this..."
Makoto could say: "It seems like there's nothing we can do."
Futaba could say: "Yeah, nope."
Haru could say: "Uhm, well, maybe if we...! ...No."
Goro could say: "Sorry, not even I can deal with this by myself."

Or whatever

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
that's not a problem at all?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Just finished my first playthrough and wow, it was everything I'd hoped it would be. Fantastic from start to finish, surpassing Persona 3 + Persona 4 as my favourite game of all time.

First run went remarkably smoothly. Maxed all but one Confidant (drat you Sun Confidant!) pretty comfortably and got all my stats maxed so NG+ should go smooth as silk. Looking forward to finishing up the compendium, blitzing through NG+ to get whatever the true ending is, and plugging away at some of the ridiculous looking trophies I missed due to not following a guide.

Now I just have to wait another nine years for Persona 6. :sigh:

Oh, highlight of the entire game was fixing the laptop and hearing the shady commodities music! I just about fell off the couch.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BGrifter posted:

Just finished my first playthrough and wow, it was everything I'd hoped it would be. Fantastic from start to finish, surpassing Persona 3 + Persona 4 as my favourite game of all time.

First run went remarkably smoothly. Maxed all but one Confidant (drat you Sun Confidant!) pretty comfortably and got all my stats maxed so NG+ should go smooth as silk. Looking forward to finishing up the compendium, blitzing through NG+ to get whatever the true ending is, and plugging away at some of the ridiculous looking trophies I missed due to not following a guide.

Now I just have to wait another nine years for Persona 6. :sigh:

Oh, highlight of the entire game was fixing the laptop and hearing the shady commodities music! I just about fell off the couch.

You didn't complete Sun? It's the easiest to rank up in the game (also one of the best)!

Also, you probably already got the true ending. As in there kinda isn't one.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Someone was asking about Liquid Mercury for the Eternal Lockpick, and I'm here to tell you that Decarabia from Palace 5 (and the corresponding layer of Mementos) drops it as well as Anubis, so there you go. Decarabia is also less of a pain in the rear end to kill because it's weak to physicals. Thanks for listening.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

Are you claiming the english to english translation is poor!?

Nah I actually think the translation is fine, obvious typos aside. The density of can't be helped wasn't high enough for me to make a note of it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You didn't complete Sun? It's the easiest to rank up in the game (also one of the best)!

Also, you probably already got the true ending. As in there kinda isn't one.

Yeah I blew it. Got so focused on other stuff it didn't click in my head that he'd disappear during election season. :doh: Ended with it at Rank 7.

Had a ton of time I ended up wasting the last few weeks too. All stats maxed and only that one link missing/unavailable. Ah well. I already knew I wanted to do a second play through for trophies and smashing faces with Yoshitsune.

Also romanced all the girls this time for the hilarious cutscene. Worth it. Next time I'll stick to one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's looking like I'm going to have a few confidants stuck at 9 because of their schedules, I had days where I had nothing I could do. I shouldn't have gone fishing that one time :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man y'all are way better at balancing this stuff than I am. I'm in the middle of November and am trying to figure out how I'll balance raising Kindness from Rank 4 to Rank 5 on top of finishing some other Social Links on top of other activities for Trophies (Mainly the drat books and video games. I planned things poorly and now I have a few books to read that give me no real benefits. Still have fishing too but I'll probably save that nonsense for NG+).

I might have to abandon Haru's Link entirely.