Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Aphrodite posted:

@Midnight is also now about Chris Hardwick's wife stories, and sometimes jokes.

I used to watch @Midnight pretty much every night, but it really did change when it officially became "@Midnight with Chris Hardwick." He started essentially doing 5-minute monologues at the start of every episode, they started doing a lot more obviously-pre-written material and sketches, and the charm just kind of drained out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also did an extremely unfunny Trump week not too long ago. The guy they have do Trump (same guy getting the show on CC I think?) is awful.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Aphrodite posted:

They also did an extremely unfunny Trump week not too long ago. The guy they have do Trump (same guy getting the show on CC I think?) is awful.

Oh yeah! That was right when I stopped watching, and it was a big contributor.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ShakeZula posted:

I used to watch @Midnight pretty much every night, but it really did change when it officially became "@Midnight with Chris Hardwick." He started essentially doing 5-minute monologues at the start of every episode, they started doing a lot more obviously-pre-written material and sketches, and the charm just kind of drained out of it.

Pretty much everything from minute one of @Midnight was pre-written by the people on the show. Not that it really matters, but it was almost all pre-written.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

My DVR still records Scandal, so I thought I'd review tonight's episode.

Started strong with a good slate of upbeat commercials.

There was a storm warning and local news cut-in which made me miss some of the second batch of commercials, but it was a nice twist.

Ended up grabbing some animal crackers I bought on a whim. They still make them! Spent a few minutes eating them halfway between the TV and kitchen.

That was as far as I got but I like a cliffhanger. Overall it's a bit better than last week's, 2 stars.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snak posted:

Zoie Palmer is the best part of Dark Matter and this aftershow will likely be better than Dark Matter.

Yeah, her switching between android and "more human" is probably the best part/acting of the show. That and the generally fast pace are probably what kept me interested.

Not that there's any way I'll be watching an after show for that show. I don't even know if I'll DVR it or just wait until it goes on Netflix and then MAYBE watch it if I still care a year from now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

X-O posted:

Pretty much everything from minute one of @Midnight was pre-written by the people on the show. Not that it really matters, but it was almost all pre-written.

Oh yeah, I never believed it was totally improvised. I think I read that they generally knew most of the questions/topics going in and had time to prepare answers, but could change them if they wanted to.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

STAC Goat posted:

I loved MST3K as a kid so I'll probably check out the Netflix version eventually for the hell of it.

It makes me wonder, is there a place to watch the old ones? I see one season on Netflix and a bunch of YouTube but a bunch more deleted. I assume since it was on like a dozen channels, was cancelled and revived a bunch, and features other movies that it's an impossible rights maze?

The ones on Netflix (aside from the new season) are more of a Greatest Hits collection (for certain values of "greatest", Manos is there. Be warned: not even the riffing can save that movie, watch at your own risk). I think Youtube used to have a bunch officially uploaded, but I donno what the current status of that is. You're right that it's a rights nightmare, I think they've managed to get all but 5-10 of them out on DVDs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That Talking show is released as unedited audio as a nerdest podcast. I listened to the first episode with Frodo and it was fine.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GreenNight posted:

That Talking show is released as unedited audio as a nerdest podcast. I listened to the first episode with Frodo and it was fine.

I think I remember hearing when one of the shows they do it for wasn't airing they just make it a regular talk show. So yeah it should be perfectly fine with that format.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are some legitimate classic TV moments in the first few dozen @Midnight episodes, before they really knew what they were doing or why. It was this close to being a spiritual successor to Space Ghost Coast to Coast AM. Then it gradually became more and more like "just a bad podcast that for some reason is on television" and I stopped watching.

So then I said, "Oh, you'll be wanting Mr. Weed Hitler"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

X-O posted:

I'm aware of that, I just preferred them at least keeping up the appearance of spontaneity. Made tolerating the weaker jokes easier

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Medullah posted:

I really like Chris Hardwick. I've listened to his podcast for years, read his articles in Wired. He's genuinely a cool guy.

But Jesus Christ the guy that hosts the Talking X shows is insufferable. Maybe the new show will be something more like the Nerdist podcast....Nah, doubt it

I see you either don't remember or have blocked out any memory of the Nerdist TV show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, her switching between android and "more human" is probably the best part/acting of the show. That and the generally fast pace are probably what kept me interested.

Not that there's any way I'll be watching an after show for that show. I don't even know if I'll DVR it or just wait until it goes on Netflix and then MAYBE watch it if I still care a year from now.

It's so loving boring. The plots get increasing crazier, but the presentation of the content is so unexciting. I turned it off in the middle of the episode in season 2 where they figure out they are in an alternate universe and they need to go steal the teleporter drive from the evil versions of themselves, and yet it's the most rote, deadpan "okay we should go this now [end scene]" event in television

If you can't make poo poo like that exciting or dramatic, don't even bother making a television show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Did anyone want this? I heard the mini series thing they did was completely uneven in terms of quality with the main story arc ones being horrible and the standalone episodic ones being ok.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The revival was worth it 100% for "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster."

Just have Darin Morgan write all the episodes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hope Kumail Nanjiani gets to be in another episode

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

I hope Kumail Nanjiani gets to be in another episode

I really want to know why he stopped The X-Files Files with zero fanfare. Was he pissed off about that awful terrorist episode? He was still doing it while they were producing and even airing the new episodes so I doubt there was any contractual reason for it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I hope David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson hook up because of this.

I hope the retcon out the terrible ending of the last mini season. Oh god it was so bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

with the main story arc ones being horrible and the standalone episodic ones being ok.

Sounds like a pretty faithful revival to me then.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

@Midnight is also now about Chris Hardwick's wife stories, and sometimes jokes.
That's unfortunate. It got a lot of jabs for being "Twitter the TV show" but it was a good way to kill time after The Daily Show and Colbert.

Speaking of bad Comedy Central shows, here's a clip from Problematic, which will hopefully be the turning point in the whole "socially conscious comedy" phase that we're in right now. You're stronger than I am if you can make it through that entire video.

https://twitter.com/ComedyCentral/status/854801786292621314

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Remember when Lewis Black had The Root of All Evil and one of the episodes argued Oprah was evil?

I mean, who signed off on that poo poo?!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I strongly dislike Oprah.

She pushed that The Secret bullshit really hard.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is a new show called Detroiters and its pretty funny. I keep having "Bicken Bones" pop into my head causing me to crack up and look like a crazy person.

One of the leads is Richard Splett from Veep

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Snak posted:

She also gave a platform to Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, and that fraud who wrote A Million Little Pieces. It's good that she's not on daytime TV anymore.

Echoing Detroiters as a good show, even though the season finale had ludicrous amounts of product placement. Then again, it's a show about an advertising agency, so I suppose it comes with the territory.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is Shetland any good? Looking for a new show to binge.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oprah pimped Cormac McCarthy for a while and that was neat.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

I used to watch @Midnight pretty much every night, but it really did change when it officially became "@Midnight with Chris Hardwick." He started essentially doing 5-minute monologues at the start of every episode

Yes, it was generally awful when he did it, but it only happened a few times. Don't think it's happened once this year. "Every episode" is a massive exaggeration of Herculean proportions.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

She also gave a platform to Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, and that fraud who wrote A Million Little Pieces. It's good that she's not on daytime TV anymore.
Oprah also just gave some new show on her network to an extremely homophobic pastor, I read yesterday. gently caress Oprah.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Oprah pimped Cormac McCarthy for a while and that was neat.

Also Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Got an untold number of housewives to read 100 years of Incest Solitude.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

Peak TV is part of the reason for the WGA strike threat. Writers are used to being employed for 20+ episodes at a time every year. Now shows like Fargo do 10 episodes every 2-3 years. Writers still get paid per episode so it's a big pay cut compared to actors who are still getting paid well.

It's not only that, but the AMPTP is still refusing to even consider altering the residuals formula (even though the networks are all launching their own stand-alone streaming services) and is also demanding significant concessions from the WGA on how much they pay for their insurance premiums. So not only has the average writer's pay fallen by 20 percent or so over the past five years (at a time when studios are insanely profitable), they're now being asked to take an additional 15 - 20 percent pay cut for healthcare. This is one of those "if they don't strike and fight now, there's no coming back from how much ground they'll lose" situations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Oprah also just gave some new show on her network to an extremely homophobic pastor, I read yesterday. gently caress Oprah.

I don't know, I think I'd watch an hour of a homophobic pastor before 22 minutes of Lewis Black.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

X-O posted:

Sounds like a pretty faithful revival to me then.

In that sense yes, but unlike the regular-length seasons of the show, where you'd have 3 lovely story-arc episodes out of 22, this time you get three lovely story-arc episodes out of 6.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

HBO is more or less entirely responsible for Bill Maher having a platform after 9/11, if you're cool with a network that supports Islamophobia and anti-vaxxers then Oprah shouldn't be much different.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

get that OUT of my face posted:

That's unfortunate. It got a lot of jabs for being "Twitter the TV show" but it was a good way to kill time after The Daily Show and Colbert.

Speaking of bad Comedy Central shows, here's a clip from Problematic, which will hopefully be the turning point in the whole "socially conscious comedy" phase that we're in right now. You're stronger than I am if you can make it through that entire video.

Well, the guy from Third Bass is as loving lame now as he was 20 years ago. I made it through about 5 seconds of fat white guy rapping.
I'm not sure of your meaning with "turning point in the whole "socially conscious comedy" phase that we're in right now" though, I can't think of anything offhand that fits that criteria.

Josh Lyman posted:

Remember when Lewis Black had The Root of All Evil and one of the episodes argued Oprah was evil?

I mean, who signed off on that poo poo?!

Well, I mean, she was/is a shameless product pusher, although I think her protoge Dr. Phil has her way beat at this point since he literally dedicates 10-15 minutes of every episode of his show to hawking something either for himself or his wife.

Root of All Evil was a shitawful show though, so

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 21, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Guy Mann posted:

HBO is more or less entirely responsible for Bill Maher having a platform after 9/11, if you're cool with a network that supports Islamophobia and anti-vaxxers then Oprah shouldn't be much different.

Please link to his Islamophobia and not from The Young Turks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Please link to his Islamophobia and not from The Young Turks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bill+maher+on+islam&oq=bill+maher+on+islam

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snak posted:

My mom sent that to me. For my reaction when I opened the care package, imagine something like discovering a pod in Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Mom means well, and she's no dummy, but she tends to latch onto bits of things (in this case, "a positive attitude can help you spot good things in life when they come along") without realizing all the woo layered on top of it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, Oprah has done some good things and endorsed some good things, but she's also used her massive influence to sell a lot of snake oil bullshit to her fans. A literal for profit cult of personality. If she was more scrupulous in the things that she pushed on people, I wouldn't really have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Guy Mann posted:

I really want to know why he stopped The X-Files Files with zero fanfare. Was he pissed off about that awful terrorist episode? He was still doing it while they were producing and even airing the new episodes so I doubt there was any contractual reason for it.

He stopped it before he even shot his episode I think. I believe the reason was just that he was busy since they put the Indoor Kids podcast on hiatus as well. At the start of the year he said he'll be doing more, so I assume he's waiting for some downtime.

It was clear from his twitter that he hated that terrorist episode though, and quite rightly so.

• Locked thread