Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Joss Whedon gave an interview that was mostly boring, but had two interesting/hilarious comments:

- He is not planning on casting a major existing star for Batgirl.

- He is upset that Marvel gave him "an exceptional level of creative independence" on the Avengers movies, but that afterwards they "are doing a little bit of erasing my impact and taking the punch out of some of my choices."

The things he is upset about:

- Bringing back Phil Coulson from the dead.
- Marvel does not plan to continue or address the "Black Widow is barren" or the Hulk/Widow romance subplot.
- Cut Loki and an extended Thor dream sequence from Ultron after Whedon personally asked Hiddleston to come do it.
- Sidelining Colbie Smulders in Civil War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

See of those 4 things the only one I agree with them doing is the Black Widow and Hulk stuff, which was outright bad and should never have been in age of ultron in the first place.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I just like the underlying tone of "They said I could do whatever I want. How can it be a bad thing if they let me do it???"

And Civil War was very good and already had a lot of content. Is there some way that adding Colbie Smulders would have dramatically improved it?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Also, this is actually the proper comparison I should've made, but I was initially trying to emphasise the differences rather than contrast, then somebody quoted it and it was too late to change it.

I'd say these pictures try to convey different things, despite their superficial similarities (enemy forces standing on a field, main character standing with their back to us). Like, the Kree aren't supposed to be overwhelming Yondu through sheer number, that they are standing so far apart is the point because it should make them harder to fight. Yondu is dwarfing them because despite their superior number and positioning, he's just about to pull out his magic whistle arrow and murder them. The Vogon army huddles in front of a picket fence for comedic effect.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 21, 2017

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Joss Whedon gave an interview that was mostly boring, but had two interesting/hilarious comments:.

Is the interview on line? I'd love to read it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Joss Whedon gave an interview that was mostly boring, but had two interesting/hilarious comments:

- He is upset that Marvel gave him "an exceptional level of creative independence" on the Avengers movies, but that afterwards they "are doing a little bit of erasing my impact and taking the punch out of some of my choices."

The things he is upset about :

- Marvel does not plan to continue or address the "Black Widow is barren" or the Hulk/Widow romance subplot.
- Cut Loki and an extended Thor dream sequence from Ultron after Whedon personally asked Hiddleston to come do it.

What?! Bringing Coulson back was like a personal nepotism favor for his brother's television show!

As for the rest

-Black Widow is barren/a monster is the stupidest thing in a movie full of stupid things
-Maybe Hiddleston wouldn't get cut off you didn't make your movie so loving long
-Not every movie can have every character! Civil War already has too many characters! No one goes to a marvel movie to see Colby Cheddars

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

I've heard about the Hiddleston thing before, it wasn't due to length -- apparently having Loki in the film confused test audiences into thinking he was the big bad behind Ultron.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Just lmao that he still thinks that Black Widow plot point was good. It was so loving tone deaf and stupid

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He quit Twitter because everyone was telling him how bad it was

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yakmouth posted:

I've heard about the Hiddleston thing before, it wasn't due to length -- apparently having Loki in the film confused test audiences into thinking he was the big bad behind Ultron.

Man audiences are dumb.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I'm a couple of pages late but...

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

teagone posted:

Man audiences are dumb.

:shrug: It depends on how it was shot, I guess. I've never seen the scene, so I can't judge.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

<Loki stands, holding a copy of a book marked "Script to Avengers 2: Age of Ultron" and stares directly into the camera> "I, Loki, a character appearing in Thor, Thor 2, and Avengers, am directly responsible for the current conflict in this film Avengers 2: Age of Ultron. In addition, now that Disney owns Star Wars, I can reveal to you that every hero and villain in Marvel properties gets their powers from Midichlorians"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I found the Black Widow/Hulk romance kind of cute and was interested in seeing more of Black Widow's background. :shrug:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

parallelodad posted:

What?! Bringing Coulson back was like a personal nepotism favor for his brother's television show!

As for the rest

-Black Widow is barren/a monster is the stupidest thing in a movie full of stupid things
-Maybe Hiddleston wouldn't get cut off you didn't make your movie so loving long
-Not every movie can have every character! Civil War already has too many characters! No one goes to a marvel movie to see Colby Cheddars

He was really against Coulson's resurrection, but probably directed the pilot as a favor to Jed.

I also watched Jack Reacher 2 where Smulders was both badass and hot. Her character was not far off from Maria Hill too.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i like hulk and widow hookin up

Two monsters flirting with eachother

beauty and the beast

but who is the true beauty and who is the true beast???

and imagine the sex! wowee

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's another thing about being mad about them not continuing that romance... he's the one who wrote the hulk going off the grid at the end of the movie. Which film does he think this thread should have continued in?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe Whedon wrote an entire Hulk-Widow phone sex script.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

Maybe Whedon wrote an entire Hulk-Widow phone sex script.

A five minute conversation about using a phone for a thorough Hulk sounding.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The things he is upset about :

It's funny that he thinks Coulson was a character anyone ever gave a gently caress about before or during Avengers. I know his death is supposed to be some huge rallying moment in the Avengers, but the dude was the cheapest way to remind people "Oh yeah, these movies are connected" because RDJ would've been way to expensive for a cameo.

It'd be like if the ST:TNG movies decided to kill off Ashley Judd's character.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

Just lmao that he still thinks that Black Widow plot point was good. It was so loving tone deaf and stupid

I love that he's right back to defending his stupid decisions with "It's not my fault! :cry:" instead of owning them.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

parallelodad posted:

Let me introduce you to everyone's parents "Why'd you turn that off? I like it! You can change the settings on your tv at your house."

Change it when they're not in the room and they won't notice. Source: I changed it on my parents' TV 8 years ago and they haven't noticed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am a little pissed that Joss Whedon thought that the Coulson kill-off mattered enough to try to prevent an actor from getting what is probably the best gig in his life.

Cutting the Thor stuff in Avengers 2 down to a really bizarre, disjointed thing that made no sense sucked, but by the time that non-payoff happened there were already several other gaping holes in the hull of that ship.

I am also OK with Joss Whedon losing control and being less and less involved, as he used Avengers 2 to constantly try to claw back several movies' worth of character/plot development. Bringing back the all-seeing skyships from Captain America 2, Iron Man just forgetting Iron Man 3 ever happened, and so on.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Davros1 posted:

It's funny that he thinks Coulson was a character anyone ever gave a gently caress about before or during Avengers. I know his death is supposed to be some huge rallying moment in the Avengers, but the dude was the cheapest way to remind people "Oh yeah, these movies are connected" because RDJ would've been way to expensive for a cameo.

It'd be like if the ST:TNG movies decided to kill off Ashley Judd's character.

I actually really liked Coulson? He's a pretty strong supporting character (And as it turns out, not so great of a leading character on AoS).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was really sad when the just okay sitcom actor died.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

So like he had a lot of control with Avengers 1 and 2 but is upset with how they undid his decisions but it's totally not his fault that they dropped a lot of the idiotic poo poo he did in Age of Ultron it was all evil studio meddling just not actual meddling in his flawless masterpiece film that sucked. Like how is this any different than Alien Resurrection where he kept talking about how the tone was all wrong and they ruined his script or whatever. You can see his script and basically like the only difference is that the design of the Newborn is a lot dumber than what we got and there was a sort of running retreat big action scene through a hydroponics garden they cut for budget reasons.

But this is even worse than that because according to him he got to make the movie he wanted to make and he's just angry that anyone else is doing anything with "his" characters?

Which is why I brought of Alien Resurrection, because :laffo: Joss Whedon of all people being upset about a major character death being undone.

The best was when he left Twitter over not being able to brook any criticism of Age of Ultron. I remember he released some statement afterwards passing it off as a tradition that whenever he leaves social media for a while but it's basically like when Stephen Fry quits social media forever once every two years.

dont even fink about it posted:

I am a little pissed that Joss Whedon thought that the Coulson kill-off mattered enough to try to prevent an actor from getting what is probably the best gig in his life.

Cutting the Thor stuff in Avengers 2 down to a really bizarre, disjointed thing that made no sense sucked, but by the time that non-payoff happened there were already several other gaping holes in the hull of that ship.

I am also OK with Joss Whedon losing control and being less and less involved, as he used Avengers 2 to constantly try to claw back several movies' worth of character/plot development. Bringing back the all-seeing skyships from Captain America 2, Iron Man just forgetting Iron Man 3 ever happened, and so on.

:same:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 21, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sylvester Stallone is playing Starhawk in Guardians Volume 2.

He leads a rival band of ravagers and has 4 other main members of his crew that weren't revealed until the premiere last night.

Michelle Yeoh
Ving Rhames
A giant worm-man (no actor listed, possibly CGI?)
A character called Mainframe that in the comics is a version of The Vision from the future (also no actor listed)

Gunn also says that Adam Warlock will be in Guardians Volume: 3 and other MCU Cosmic films, but for the 300th time, he is not in Guardians Volume: 2.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 21, 2017

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I wasn't going to see this, but now that I know they cast Giant Worm Man, I'm in.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope Giant Worm Man is a Gunn original and crossover with Slither.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The MSJ posted:

I hope Giant Worm Man is a Gunn original and crossover with Slither.

Michael Rooker is already playing Yondu, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently, Giant Worm Man is Krugarr.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Krugarr_(Earth-691)

quote:

Krugarr is a Lem, a race of extremely long-lived wormlike creatures. It is unknown exactly how old Krugarr is. Sometime in the 22nd century, Doctor Stephen Strange found him on Lem. Krugarr agreed to become his apprentice and learn the ways of magic. Krugarr succeeded Strange as Sorcerer Supreme, with Strange now calling himself the Ancient One like his own master was previously.[1]

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 21, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Some great spoilers.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Oh, so he's like a Worm-That-Walks except only one big worm instead of many small ones.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Neo Rasa posted:

A five minute conversation about using a phone for a thorough Hulk sounding.

Imagine that scene from "Her" with the Hulk instead of Jude Law

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Apparently, Giant Worm Man is Krugarr.

Probably an Easter Egg and he is not actually magic or going to be trained by Doctor Strange.

You'll both be pleased to know that a slug from Slither is in Guardians of the Galaxy 1 in one of the Collector's display cases.

Personally I'm hoping Giant Worm Man is literally Scott Lang wearing a worm costume.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

hiddenriverninja posted:

Imagine that scene from "Her" with the Hulk instead of Jude Law

Do you mean Joaquin Phoenix?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Slugworth posted:

I actually really liked Coulson? He's a pretty strong supporting character (And as it turns out, not so great of a leading character on AoS).
Its funny that Joss' brother has done a much better job with a Marvel property

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Hey, I hate the Avengers movies as much as the next guy but I wouldn't exactly call Agents of SHIELD "much better" than anything.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's pretty good. It's gotten better as they've given up being a real part of the MCU and started telling their own stories. Likable characters, good intrigue, and most of all, Ward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LesterGroans posted:

Hey, I hate the Avengers movies as much as the next guy but I wouldn't exactly call Agents of SHIELD "much better" than anything.

I liked the Avengers movies, and I think Agents of SHIELD is much better than a lot of things.

• Locked thread