Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I hope that they make M3s/M4s/M5s faster in X4. Fighters in X3 were mostly all slow as poo poo and felt more like armed motor boats than "fighters". Only a few M5s were at the level of speed I wanted, and they were nearly useless for combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unless they overhaul direct control to be, you know, a dogfighting game instead of vague-brick-jousting game, I don't know if that'd really be meaningful. It still was fun to do real dumb, dangerous poo poo around capital ships in things like a Jaguar, even if the controls meant a cool strafing run usually became a really bright spot on the hull of whatever you were fighting.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Crippling the game with one ship choice was dumb, most of the other stuff was excellent. I'd like to pre order x4 as much as I'd like to pre order cancer aids & a lobotomy.
That's awesome news though.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I have the itch to play this again, but it looks like the page that the op links to "current updated mods" is gone...

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
oh crap. I do have the mods backed up, but my connection is utter poo poo.

Here is the filelist if it helps:

code:
500km_Comm_Range_AP.rar
Apollo_X3TC_V3202.zip
Ausruestungsmanager_X3TC_V3202.zip
Automatische_Zielerfassung_X3TC_V3103.zip
Befehlsbibliothek_X3TC_V3804.zip
Befoerderung_Reisen_X3TC_V3102.zip
BlacklistManager.zip
Blaupausenmanager_X3TC_V3101.zip
BounceV1.7.zip
CheatCollectionPackageAP-V1.62-18.12.2011.spk
CommunityPluginConfiguration-V1.51-03.01.2012.spk
Complex_Cleaner_4.09_BullwinkleRepackForPluginManager_TC-and-AP3.x.zip
Detector_v1.18_FullVersion_2013-06-15.zip
Dockwarenmanager_X3TC_V3107.zip
Geschuetzturm_Erweiterter_Kampf_X3TC_V3200.zip
Globale_Verwaltung_X3TC_V3106.zip
Grundgehalt_X3TC_V3103.zip
Handelsvertretung_X3TC_V3406.zip
Hangarmanager_X3TC_V3102.zip
Heisse_Sektoren_X3TC_V3104.zip
HephCorp_beta-0.72.zip
JSONparserlibrary-V1.2-25.09.2011.spk
Komplexplaner_X3TC_V302.zip
log.log
M7M_Abschussvorrichtung_X3TC_V3100.zip
Marine_Repairs_and_Training-V213-Non-LU-2014-04-070.spk
mars-tc-ap_v5.26_RepackedForPluginManager__Vanilla_TC_AP3.0.zip
Memia Automatic Advanced Satellite-V1.10-25.6.2013.spk
memiaautomaticadvancedsatellite110.zip
Militaertransport_X3TC_V3302.zip
mobile.ship.repairs.v1.7.rar
Mobile_Ship_Repairs_v1.7.spk
NPCBailingAddon-V1.7.8-21.09.2010.spk
numeric_ranks_tc.zip
Personaltransporter_X3TC_V3401.zip
Prospektor_X3TC_V3303.zip
PSCO1_CockpitMod_v1.32_wHUD2d.rar
Raketenabwehr_Moskito_X3TC_V3202.zip
Reiseantrieb_X3TC_V3203.zip
Schifffunktionstasten_X3TC_V3305.zip
Schiffswerkzeuge_X3TC_V3203.zip
SEWN+TurboBooster.zip
Sicherheitsdienst_X3TC_V3304.zip
Sprungboje_X3TC_V3108.zip
Stationsdemontage_X3TC_V3101.zip
TISv7.5.rar
trov-2.053.zip
turret-on-off-tc.zip
UniversalBestBuysSells_251.spk
Waffensystem_CODEA_X3TC_V3311.zip
Waffensystem_MEFOS_X3TC_V3300.zip
Warenlogistiksoftware_X3TC_V3405.zip
Wirtschaftshaendler_X3TC_V3404.zip
Workshop V20.spk
xliveless-0.999b7.rar
XPluginManager_Installer.exe
There may have been a few additions or modifications (I think some of them from the pack were outdated)

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

I have the itch to play this again, but it looks like the page that the op links to "current updated mods" is gone...

I haven't downloaded and looked yet, but there's a link on the previous page or the one before that is stating its most of the mods from the OP in one place. Might be a good idea to check it out.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Check my post history for the link. On mobile right now and I'm lazy.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Boogalo posted:

Check my post history for the link. On mobile right now and I'm lazy.

For people who are even lazier, here you go.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Friend Commuter posted:

For people who are even lazier, here you go.

Is there an official list of suggested mods anywhere? Or just user suggested lists like this? I'm worried that the user-suggested ones will have too much or be too cheat-y whereas any official list is less likely be so.

I'd prefer a smaller amount of absolute must-have mods that I could add to later rather than loading a massive amount of stuff at the start which I have no idea how to use or may never use.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

kaesarsosei posted:

Is there an official list of suggested mods anywhere? Or just user suggested lists like this? I'm worried that the user-suggested ones will have too much or be too cheat-y whereas any official list is less likely be so.

I'd prefer a smaller amount of absolute must-have mods that I could add to later rather than loading a massive amount of stuff at the start which I have no idea how to use or may never use.

That group is pretty much all QoL stuff. For those that do make a couple of things free, it's an inconsequential amount.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The OP is uh <looks> 4 years old. at this point, I'd highly suggest installing and playing XRM instead of trying to install piecemeal mods. XRM has most on the big list already built in, and a ton of content and balance passes as well, and looks to be still in active development / bugfix which is just a bit crazy to me even though this is still the best space game actually out.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alternatively Litcube's Universe is worth checking out. It's another large overhaul mod that has a number of similarities to XRM, as well as a number of differences. Whichever you use comes down to personal preference, but they're both comprehensive enough that you shouldn't need additional mods on top of them.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Are XRM/Litcube not effectively completely different universes? Without the storyline/missions of the base game? I know the X series is not exactly fabled for its story missions but at the same time I would like to keep them.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

kaesarsosei posted:

Are XRM/Litcube not effectively completely different universes? Without the storyline/missions of the base game? I know the X series is not exactly fabled for its story missions but at the same time I would like to keep them.

XRM includes most of the storyline missions from AP and a couple from TC. There are also some mods for XRM AP that add in more of the TC plotlines. Litcube's Universe doesn't include any plotlines and is more of a sandbox that relies on new NPC factions for its quasi storylines. Both mods incorporate the base game's systems.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Do either come with "cheat mode" installed with them? That's a necessity for when your game eventually bugs and you need to fix it.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bhodi posted:

The OP is uh <looks> 4 years old. at this point, I'd highly suggest installing and playing XRM instead of trying to install piecemeal mods. XRM has most on the big list already built in, and a ton of content and balance passes as well, and looks to be still in active development / bugfix which is just a bit crazy to me even though this is still the best space game actually out.

Does XRM come with those fancy buy a drone army to do trading for you addons?

The biggest thing that always keeps me from reinstalling is needing like five addons to not make the first chunk of gameplay garbage

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 12, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Both do, though completely automated is expensive, the easier start in litcube starts with one free which makes it easier and saves a few hours in the beginning.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone be a bro and upload the latest NoSteam exe somewhere? I have an account on Egosoft but it's doing everything it can to keep me from loving downloading it, for some reason.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Robo Reagan posted:

Can someone be a bro and upload the latest NoSteam exe somewhere? I have an account on Egosoft but it's doing everything it can to keep me from loving downloading it, for some reason.

Me, too, please

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
No Steam?
No Problem.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13191920/X3AP_3.0_nonsteam.zip
Whups, thats the old one,
latest :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13191920/X3AP_3.1a_nonsteam.zip

Re: L.U. Xrm, etc. It really depends on your playstyle, Both change a lot of things that are hosed if you add extra mods,
even mods that are "included", unless you actually merge certain files. you might not notice at first, but when the Kha'ak keep a sector by placing mammoths at 0.0.500 and so on, yep, that's a hosed install.
SCS is the one base mod I always use as I don't think having to exit a ship and spacewalk to something is truly necessary.
Npc bailing addon, works well with it, so much so that I thought of merging them, then preparing a set of xml files to plop on top of them to have them work ok with bigger mods, Same with Mars, any thing that can dakka dakka, or has turrets is meaningless w/out mars. it turns destroyers into devastating discoballs ov death.
I'd also like to get around to editing the base game files so the khack use the models from tyhe extra ship pack, Tannin is amazing.

staberind fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 14, 2017

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Anything I should know going into XRM after not playing X3 for like...5 years?

I don't think I've ever even played AP, last one I had was TC.

Edit: Why do they make the install sound so complex? :psyduck:

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 1, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guns that needed ammo now don't so you can and will be hosed to death by mass drivers on pirates if you're not in a Corvette.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Haven't played in a long rear end time. Would like to go back to mostly-vanilla but everyone's only talking about LU and XRM these days. What I'm interested in is a sort of mostly-minimalist mod list. Whatever the bare essentials are. Thoughts?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got the urge to replay and I've started as a Terran pilot in XRM. Just as I got done configuring my mod settings a fighter crashes into mine and explodes (my Saber's okay). It reminded me to go back for the salvage software which I'm going to pretend it dropped, then right after I configured THAT a Kha'ak Destroyer showed up at, crippled a Yokohama which ejected, then got shot down by an Osaka. I'm going to use it to build up for a Shard and have a mini-carrier group. :v:

Salvage and selling is way more fun than trading.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
After giving those fuckers money for Rebirth, I'm super hesitant about anything else Egosoft does.
I'm not even sure why they didn't just make X4 instead of whatever Rebirth was supposed to be.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Dreadwroth posted:

After giving those fuckers money for Rebirth, I'm super hesitant about anything else Egosoft does.
I'm not even sure why they didn't just make X4 instead of whatever Rebirth was supposed to be.

I'm guessing they were hoping that Rebirth was somehow going to be a major seller on consoles.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

popewiles posted:

I'm guessing they were hoping that Rebirth was somehow going to be a major seller on consoles.
Did they ever even plan console ports? Pretty sure it's still PC platforms only.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Less Fat Luke posted:

Did they ever even plan console ports? Pretty sure it's still PC platforms only.

I'm not sure if they did, that was just the impression I got from many of the design decisions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can understand wanting a completely new thing with how much bloat X3:AP has but they really screwed it up.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

popewiles posted:

I'm not sure if they did, that was just the impression I got from many of the design decisions.
Yeah that makes sense, it sure as gently caress was dumbed down from anything else they've made :(

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah that makes sense, it sure as gently caress was dumbed down from anything else they've made :(

I was semi optimistic about the original intentions, but going full extremes of "You are stuck driving the one ship" and the like was overboard among all the other cut down stuff :sigh:

I always get overwhelmed, trail off, and forget every single detail of how X3tC/AP works. Right around when it's time to start thinking about making my own factories and combat scaling means wanting to just be a rag tag group of heavy fighters is a loving joke in scope and for my skill level.

Everything seems to want to go to one extreme or the other, really. X3 ends up space tycoon simulator via your cockpit interface (Oh, nobody loving sells the shields and ammo I want around here? fine I guess I'll just make my OWN factories and space fleet! With blackjack and hookers.) Elite ends up lone ship and go gently caress yourself for the slightest thought of QoL or automation (Automated mining isn't REALISTIC! And doesn't fit the lore-what, the set and forget automated mining machines from the older games? Asteroids with chunks of visible metal larger than you are giving gently caress all? Well, uh, gently caress you). And so on.

Seems my hopeful point of "X3, but designed around you loving around with a squad of M3 ships and a mom and pop TP truck stop operation" is just too middle of the road for devs to want to go for. At the very least I'm sure some pro players can pull off conquering the galaxy with just that in X3, but I'm too mediocre to take on the eventual corvette and capital ship frequency combat scaling with just a fighter and wingmen :saddowns:

All that said, I'm probably going to be reinstalling AP for the Nth time because I like it's style, for as terrible I am at it in the long run. Maybe look up some cheat codes specifically for filling out my map early so I can spend more time going from point A to point B for personal goals, rather than wondering "Okay, which of these places even has stuff in stock right now?" before I've crapped satellites across half the galaxy (after finding which satellite sales place even has them in stock).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it was primarily limitations, you can't create 3 games worth of content in 1 game in modern graphics from scratch.

Functionality wise, rebirth is a substantial ugprade over 3 in many ways. The game models things much better, it suffers from a lack of content and a change in game style from X3, partly necssitated by the lack of content.

I think it was pretty inevitable honestly if you didn't want just endless iterations on X3. I also don't think it's a bad game currently, it's not a very good sequel to X3, but it's not a bad game by itself. It's a quite fun little arcadey space shootery thing with some underdeveloped features aspiring to more than that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I think it was primarily limitations, you can't create 3 games worth of content in 1 game in modern graphics from scratch.

Functionality wise, rebirth is a substantial ugprade over 3 in many ways. The game models things much better, it suffers from a lack of content and a change in game style from X3, partly necssitated by the lack of content.

I think it was pretty inevitable honestly if you didn't want just endless iterations on X3. I also don't think it's a bad game currently, it's not a very good sequel to X3, but it's not a bad game by itself. It's a quite fun little arcadey space shootery thing with some underdeveloped features aspiring to more than that.

I think the issues with Rebirth go a little bit beyond "lack of content" - some of the fundamental design choices just didn't work out (for example the whole walking around in stations thing - it's technically MORE content but it adds nothing to the game and they eventually patched in a way to just ignore it). I agree that the base engine is a lot better though - Cap ships are a lot more interesting with all the subsystems, the big stations are really cool and building your own is so much less of a clusterfuck.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Section Z posted:

I was semi optimistic about the original intentions, but going full extremes of "You are stuck driving the one ship" and the like was overboard among all the other cut down stuff :sigh:

I always get overwhelmed, trail off, and forget every single detail of how X3tC/AP works. Right around when it's time to start thinking about making my own factories and combat scaling means wanting to just be a rag tag group of heavy fighters is a loving joke in scope and for my skill level.

Everything seems to want to go to one extreme or the other, really. X3 ends up space tycoon simulator via your cockpit interface (Oh, nobody loving sells the shields and ammo I want around here? fine I guess I'll just make my OWN factories and space fleet! With blackjack and hookers.) Elite ends up lone ship and go gently caress yourself for the slightest thought of QoL or automation (Automated mining isn't REALISTIC! And doesn't fit the lore-what, the set and forget automated mining machines from the older games? Asteroids with chunks of visible metal larger than you are giving gently caress all? Well, uh, gently caress you). And so on.

Seems my hopeful point of "X3, but designed around you loving around with a squad of M3 ships and a mom and pop TP truck stop operation" is just too middle of the road for devs to want to go for. At the very least I'm sure some pro players can pull off conquering the galaxy with just that in X3, but I'm too mediocre to take on the eventual corvette and capital ship frequency combat scaling with just a fighter and wingmen :saddowns:

All that said, I'm probably going to be reinstalling AP for the Nth time because I like it's style, for as terrible I am at it in the long run. Maybe look up some cheat codes specifically for filling out my map early so I can spend more time going from point A to point B for personal goals, rather than wondering "Okay, which of these places even has stuff in stock right now?" before I've crapped satellites across half the galaxy (after finding which satellite sales place even has them in stock).

Yeah, my ideal for a new X or some other space game is an economy which doesn't require you to not collapse but you can still carve out a niche (like having mining actually be lucrative half the time). So if you want to you can bounty hunt with a frigate or a mini-carrier but not have to make foundries just to arm and equip yourself. It's fun getting a super fleet to slug it out with others, but it's also fun using a ragtag band of whatever you get your hands on and sticking to that. I always think "I'll just get some miners and a frigate and some corvettes" but that never works on its own, really.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think that what went wrong with Rebirth, and keep in mind that this is pieced together from things that are half remembered rumors and speculation so I may be talking out of my rear end, is that it was originally meant to be an unrelated console game. However, things went wrong, so they retrofitted it into an X game for PC, with obviously less than stellar results.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the issues with Rebirth go a little bit beyond "lack of content" - some of the fundamental design choices just didn't work out (for example the whole walking around in stations thing - it's technically MORE content but it adds nothing to the game and they eventually patched in a way to just ignore it). I agree that the base engine is a lot better though - Cap ships are a lot more interesting with all the subsystems, the big stations are really cool and building your own is so much less of a clusterfuck.

Even stations (or the tech behind them) could have been very cool if they're expanded it more, using the cap ship bridge mod is hella cool when you walk around while the ship is flying.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot why you install Bounce. Apparently my frigates (all of them) rammed a station and blew up while it was exploding so I didn't notice. Then I saved. :argh:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

that's why I kept at least three rotating save slots

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Feeling the itch for space gaming. I mostly just blow things up in a corvette while keeping a TM on standby for back up or really big missions while ignoring the parts of empire building that cant be automated. Any of those 2 big overhauls make this easier or am i doing vanilla with scripts again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

XRM would be fine. LU is much more macro focused, with building a giant industrial base and big wars.

Admittedly, the saturn complexes from Litcube are amazing though. I wish they were in the vanilla game. It is by far the easiest way to complex. The most efficient way to litcube is really just doing build station missions and scavenging while you build up enough cash for big complexes.

• Locked thread