Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
if i was a sitcom writer i'd randomly pick a female castmember to always stand behind ferns and stuff to troll the tabloids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
At least they acknowledged Niles and Daphne not making sense. Also they showed multiple times how her wacky/British stories were often just clever ways to manipulate the Crane boys.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Like the one episode I watched recently had her make up a story about her piano instructor killed himself to get Niles to let her stop trying to play. Also I remember an early season episode where she talked about how she was going to make some gross British dish just to freak everybody out and get the condo to herself. Just off the top of my head.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
this is great, this is great

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Eddie was a real motherfucker.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

my uneducated mother is from liverpool and single-raised my educated brother and i
fraiser gives me fuckin ptsd

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Police Automaton posted:

this is great, this is great

S06E01, Good Grief, my second favourite episode :3:

the one right after is my favourite- Frasier's Curse, for having both the dramatic irony that defines the show as well as some of Frasiers best rants/breakdowns

TABLE 97. SINGING "GOODBYE MY CONEY ISLAND BABY", WITH THE CHECKMATES

Him
Oct 9, 2015

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

i'm the random pink chair at the end of the hallway

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm the third bathtub.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

wheres bulldog live

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
A truly brilliant piece of set design

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The washer dryer room was just Frasier's hat storage for 6 seasons because he didn't give a poo poo about making his dad's physical therapist do laundry in the basement.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm either the tiny bathroom allocated for use by people who don't have their own bedroom, or the repeated motif of seating for four in an apartment that can luxuriously accommodate six

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

this isn't canon - the layout of Frasier's bathroom doesn't match that seen in the episode "Seat of Power".

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but just saw this one last night, and it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZYH_rJcTjw

For some reason it is very catchy, and I've been jamming out like the guy in the booth all day with this stuck on repeat in my mind. Time for alcohol.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Roz has big ole' tittays

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

She was supposed to be obtainable. Also hot.

Thanks makes sense. And cece from the nanny, same deal?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Roz has big ole' tittays

Just pump up the volume and call me kitty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5rp7PJ8DQ

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok I unwadded my jock and started over by just leaving the show running while im doing other stuff and you guys are right, this show is extremely funny in a cute way.

I guess my only lingering issue is the idea that he was allowed to walk in front of camera with that wet, bald mullet look. Possible contestant for worst media haircut of that decade?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok I unwadded my jock and started over by just leaving the show running while im doing other stuff and you guys are right, this show is extremely funny in a cute way.

I guess my only lingering issue is the idea that he was allowed to walk in front of camera with that wet, bald mullet look. Possible contestant for worst media haircut of that decade?

It goes away in season 3 I think. And I think the "Worst Hair of the 90's" hands down goes to Elaine from Seinfeld.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
For every 'Rachel' haircut there must be an Elaine, to balance out the universe. Even at the time I thought it was a bad look, glad she changed it eventually

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bust Rodd posted:

Don't forget that it was very fashionable for the time.

Likewise, Niles' suits - the absolute best in fashionable menswear at the time; now he looks like a ventriloquist's dummy

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Apparently taping would go relatively quickly (one 3-hour sitting of one live audience compared to two 5-hour tapings with two audiences for one episode of Friends :stonk:) and it really is like a play in how it's written and acted. The Frasier apartment is a masterwork in set and stage design. There are 'smarter' shows on now but as far as network television goes everything about Frasier was a class act, and that was really uncommon at that point.

This was a short interview with one of the directors on the show talking about the apartment set:

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2009/09/frasier-living-room.html

quote:

quote:

Dave wonders about the FRASIER set.

Where were the cameras, and where was the audience?

The living room gives the viewer virtually a 360-degree view of the set. There seems to be a small space between the front door and the kitchen, but sometimes we see a wall there. And then there are the reverse angles; sometimes we have setups by the kitchen, sometimes by the balcony, sometime by the fireplace.

Were the walls movable? Was it clever staging? Handheld cameras? Multiple takes? What's the deal?

First off, the set was brilliantly designed by Roy Christopher. In addition to all the shows he’s worked on, he’s also designed the sets for numerous Oscar and Emmy award shows. But for my money the Frasier living room is his masterpiece.

The audience looks straight into the set. The balcony and skyline of Seattle is in the back. Martin’s chair faces you. Between the audience bleachers and the set are the four cameras. Walls are hinged. The wall leading to the kitchen can swing in and you can get a camera way up into the set. You can shoot the couch (which is angled to the audience) practically straight on.

I was able to bring cameras way up into the set and shoot a scene between Daphne and Roz at that round kitchen table in the back. You can get cameras far enough into the set to shoot scenes out on the balcony if you like.

In a couple of places there are "ports" in the walls. These are sections that can slide out allowing cameras to peek through from the other side of the wall. This allows you to shoot deep up into the set. You're always trying to get shots where you can see the actors' eyes. That's not something you are consciously aware of but when you can't see the eyes it's very disconcerting.

How they sometimes do reverse angles is by sliding a wall piece in. That's the "fourth" wall that the audience is looking through normally.

And here’s the best part. Wherever you shoot, from any camera, it’s always an interesting angle. There are hallways and nooks and skylines and pianos and artwork and fireplaces – it’s just a feast for the eye.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

So what furniture and artwork are on the wall that the TV is on??

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
There are quite a few shots where you not only notice the apartment has no normal ceiling but you also can see microphones etc.. Happens quite often actually. Of course this happens on every show but I never noticed it that often on another show tbh

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

spog posted:

Likewise, Niles' suits - the absolute best in fashionable menswear at the time; now he looks like a ventriloquist's dummy

in retrospect it was pretty weird that two-sizes-too-big for menswear suits was fashionable in the 90s/early 00s

it's like zootsuits made a comeback

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hard counter posted:

in retrospect it was pretty weird that two-sizes-too-big for menswear suits was fashionable in the 90s/early 00s

it's like zootsuits made a comeback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IqH3uliwJY

:( :( :(

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I watched season 7 and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought season 8 was overall pretty bad, although we did get to see Odo sleep with Roz.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There were good and bad episodes in every season but if you were to watch one completely randomly and there's no weird Frasier hair or Daphne Niles relationship you're almost guaranteed to see some decent television.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
I'm watching Frasier on Netflix. Frasier doesn't have any black friends. This may be problematic.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
A noticeable change after he switches out the weird frog thing for a real Chihuli

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Bob James posted:

I'm watching Frasier on Netflix. Frasier doesn't have any black friends. This may be problematic.

its time for black frasier

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

FuhrerHat posted:

cam winston is black frasier

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

FuhrerHat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zffv-FCEYM

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Bob James posted:

Dude lived in Boston for years, it's not much of a surprise.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

which is better, 2003 or 2013

be honest :ohdear:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I like all the episodes where Frasier and Niles (and sometimes Martin) are mistaken for being gay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2xrgW7Igpo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Police Automaton posted:

cam winston is black frasier

You mean Cam ... WINSTONNNN :doom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose