Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Maarek posted:

I know some people are convinced that Clinton won the primary by cheating, but that's not true at all. While they definitely stacked the deck as much as they could, at the end of the day Hillary was/is massively popular among registered Democrats and those are the people who vote in a primary. The problem was that she was much less popular with everyone else, while her primary opponent was more universally liked or at least tolerated.

During times of polarization the primaries aren't necessarily competitions that reward the most electable candidate, something people on this forum understood (and gleefully mocked) for the last 8 years.

"But the cheating didn't matter" is about the weakest defense for cheating I can imagine. Where in life does that show up other than the Democratic Primary.

I guess the rules not applying to the political elite is a feature, not a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

NewForumSoftware posted:

"But the cheating didn't matter" is about the weakest defense for cheating I can imagine. Where in life does that show up other than the Democratic Primary.

I guess the rules not applying to the political elite is a feature, not a bug.

Buddy, I'm not defending the cheating. I'm saying she would have won even without the cheating, because she was Queen of the Democrats in a competition that was largely decided by people who love the Democratic party. His biggest advantage was among younger people, who are less likely to be registered for closed primaries and just less likely to vote in a political primary to begin with. She also whooped him with more affluent voters in the northeast, and I don't have to tell you how hard it is to get poor(er) people to vote in a normal election, much less a primary one.

You are right, though, the rules really obviously do not apply to the elites in any facet of our society.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

How could Bernie Sanders, the most popular politician, get fewer votes than Hillary, who nobody likes other than the feckless DNC, which has proven themselves to be incapable of winning elections?

How can Obama be rated as a better president than Nixon when in 1968 nobody showed voter preference for Obama over Nixon?

Jesus Christ, what is it like to be a shameless, spineless creep who is willing - day in day out - to sacrifice any remaining intellectual integrity in order to come up with a hot take, WJ?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Because it pisses you off so much

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Maarek posted:

Buddy, I'm not defending the cheating. I'm saying she would have won even without the cheating

She wouldn't have won if the Democratic party had a spine and actually responded to someone openly cheating

Like yeah, it's easy to cheat, not get punished for it and then say "well the cheating didn't matter".

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Well, it's really not helpful. It kind of reminds me of the Medium piece I just posted: sour grapes, coupled with complete unawareness of how you were, and remain, part of the problem.

NewForumSoftware posted:

She wouldn't have won if the Democratic party had a spine and actually responded to someone openly cheating

What, exactly, would this have looked like, do you think?

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 21, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Oops guys, we were wrong, turns out Bernie stabbed Clinton in the back:

Like, I realize this writer is an outlier among Clinton apologists, but holy poo poo folks.

this article and its comments are just awful

the democratic ship is sinking and people are yelling at the guy getting out the lifeboats

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

What, exactly, would this have looked like, do you think?

Removing her from the primary, since it was clear Bernie would have had a much better chance in the general.

Then again, that's only if you actually wanted the Democrats to win the election.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

thank you, every Trump voter

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

NewForumSoftware posted:

I think she would have won even if the DNC hadn't done a single one of those things. It was a primary election where 30 million of the eligible voters most inclined to like the Democratic party picked between a fixture of said party and a guy who isn't really even part of it. It was Her Turn and nothing was going to stop the nomination.

The problem always was that there were another hundred million people who would get to vote in the national election who don't drink the blue kool aid.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Removing her from the primary, since it was clear Bernie would have had a much better chance in the general.

Then again, that's only if you actually wanted the Democrats to win the election.

The modern primary system came about to prevent the party bosses from just picking who the nominee would be, though. If the DNC in 2016 could just crown someone it wouldn't have been Bernard Sanders

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

this article and its comments are just awful

the democratic ship is sinking and people are yelling at the guy getting out the lifeboats

"We keep losing elections what we need is less people voting for us!"

Like even if you hate the idea of economic leftism like these guys seem to I just don't understand what their possible strategy is to getting into power to enact their goals. Maybe they are going back to the idiotic well of telling leftists they aren't needed and then blaming leftists for not voting. That will work this time for sure.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Top story on HuffPo right now

quote:

Reminder To Progressives: Abortion Is An Economic Issue

Bernie Sanders traveled to Nebraska this week to throw his support behind Omaha Democratic mayoral candidate, Heath Mello, who is running against the incumbent Republican mayor, Jean Stothert. A Mello win, Sanders has said, would give hope to other “progressive Democrats” in conservative states.

But Mello’s “progressive” credentials are questionable at best. As a state senator, he co-sponsored a bill mandating that women have an ultrasound before they can have an abortion, saying it represented a “positive first step to reducing the number of abortions in Nebraska.”

As a populist, Sanders has built a political career protesting economic inequality— and yet by campaigning for Mello, he has demonstrated a willingness to separate economic justice from reproductive justice. (So has Democratic National Committee Chair, Tom Perez, who is also helping to campaign for Mello and who has defended that decision, saying the job of the DNC is to help Democratic candidates win.) But abortion access is not just a medical issue, or even a social one; it is, at its core, also an economic concern. Here’s why.

Unintended pregnancies place an enormous financial burden on women.

Raising children in the United States is expensive. Like, more than $230,000 per child (from birth to age 17) expensive. That includes food, transportation, housing, education (but not college), health care and child care. Oh, and daycare for babies is now more expensive than college tuition in most states.

Women in this country already face a well-documented motherhood financial penalty. Research shows, for example, that mothers are less likely to be hired for jobs and they are offered lower starting salaries when they are hired. (Men don’t appear to be similarly disadvantaged by becoming dads, and might actually benefit from it, career-wise.)

“Having a baby is the most expensive health event that families face during their childbearing years. At the same time, a lack of workplace supports for many women during this critical time means a woman may not have paid sick days for prenatal appointments or well-baby care, or paid family and medical leave to use after giving birth. Addressing all of these issues is central to achieving economic justice for women and families,” said Sarah Lipton-Lubet, vice president of the National Partnership for Women & Families.

Roughly 60 percent of women who have abortions are already mothers, which means they understand these factors not in some abstract way, but both deeply and personally. In fact, economic concerns are a major reason why women chose to end pregnancies. Estimates suggest that between 40 and 75 percent of women seeking abortions do so for financial reasons.

“The most common reason women give for wanting to terminate a pregnancy is that they feel that they cannot afford to have a baby or to have another baby,” Diana Greene Foster, director of research with the University of California San Francisco’s Advancing New Standards In Reproductive Health (ANSIRH) told The Huffington Post.

Low-income women are hit the hardest by unplanned pregnancies — and by policies that limit abortion access.

In the United States, roughly 5 percent of reproductive-age women have an unintended pregnancy each year, and those pregnancies disproportionately occur among low-income and poor women. In 2011, the unintended pregnancy rate among women living well below the federal poverty level ― around $18,000 for a family of three — was five times higher than women living well above the federal poverty line.

Low-income women also struggle to afford abortion, particularly because the Hyde Amendment has long restricted Medicaid coverage for abortion care. Research shows that in order to come up with the money necessary for the procedure, women are forced to forgo food for themselves and their children, to miss rent payments and to sell off personal items.

“When women are unable to get an abortion, they are more likely to be poor, less likely to work full time and more likely to receive public assistance,” Foster said. “And this has important consequences for their existing children and their ability to care for a new child.”

Also, because two-thirds of the unplanned births in this country are paid for by public insurance programs, namely Medicaid, unintended pregnancies weigh on the economy as well.

That means that any line separating reproductive rights from economic concerns is an imaginary one. True progressives would do well to remember that.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Maarek posted:

I think she would have won even if the DNC hadn't done a single one of those things.

So? That what if is about worth zero now that we decided "nah, let's go ahead and run our openly corrupt most hated politican in america" and lost

The entire goal of the primary is to choose the candidate who has the best chance of winning the general (lol just kidding we need to ensure taxes for the rich are kept low first and foremost). The DNC's primary was a failure in every way.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

I think it's worth understanding that the primary electorate doesn't necessarily have the same interests as the voting public in general.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

"We keep losing elections what we need is less people voting for us!"

Like even if you hate the idea of economic leftism like these guys seem to I just don't understand what their possible strategy is to getting into power to enact their goals.

shame and berate everyone into bowing to them. there couldn't possibly be some sort of horrific backlash

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Maarek posted:

I think it's worth understanding that the primary electorate doesn't necessarily have the same interests as the voting public in general.

Yes, we know Democrats are poo poo. What's unfortunate is that they'd rather lose to Donald Trump than let Bernie Sanders make the country a better place.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

NewForumSoftware posted:

That wouldn't have happened. It would have triggered a revolt among her supporters, who were more numerous than Sanders' in any case. It would have guaranteed a loss.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Yes, we know Democrats are poo poo.

You're conflating DNC members with the primary voters who actually voted for Clinton. Those voters aren't "poo poo," most of them aren't one-percenters, and a lot of them genuinely love Clinton.

DaveWoo posted:

This is a weird situation that I've been trying to delve more deeply into over the last couple days. I'm honestly not sure what Sanders was thinking by endorsing Mello. Perhaps he heard, as many of us did, that Mello got an 100% rating from Planned Parenthood Nebraska, when that actually turned out not to be the case. I do think Sanders needs to withdraw his endorsement, just as Kos has. But I'm guessing there's also more to this story than we are seeing.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 21, 2017

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

That wouldn't have happened. It would have triggered a revolt among her supporters, who were more numerous than Sanders' in any case. It would have guaranteed a loss.

Nope, actually Bernie would have won.

You have to remember, there were only two choices this election and any vote not for the Democratic nominee is a vote for Trump!

Even Michael Bloomberg doing his best would have had zero impact on the race.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean I still have the same problem today with Bernie that I did during the primaries, namely a a dumb idea of how political change actually gets enacted. The "I'm gonna show up to Mitch McConnell's door with a million pissed off people" strikes me as the same kinda dumb bullshit as Lessig's mandate, or Obama's "the fever's gonna break in 2012".

The necessary first step is beating Republicans, and it's why his answer has gotta be "then we'll get rid of him next election", and why it's important to elect Mello and Ossoff etc.

Of course, there's then "how you win", which is why I joined DSA after Hillary proved that the status quo is a loser for Democrats

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DaveWoo posted:

i've seen the abortion thing brought up a couple times now

to me, abortion is one of those sacred things where there is no room for compromise. (it should be legal and easily accessible)

seeing bernie getting tied to pro-lifers is pretty disappointing

of course, i also know that a lot of people are out for his blood so relying on hearsay and innuendo isn't a good thing

does anyone have anymore information about this recent bernie/pro-life support stuff?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

Nope, actually Bernie would have won.

If he had gotten the nomination by getting more primary votes? Yeah, probably.

If he had gotten it by Clinton being removed as nominee? Not a chance in hell. A lot of Clinton's primary voters would have stayed home, after having seen "their" candidate removed by an undemocratic institution.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

If he had gotten it by Clinton being removed as nominee? Not a chance in hell.

Based on what? Do you think Clinton supporters would have voted for Jill Stein or something? Like how do you honestly see it playing out.

The Centrists are renowned pragmatists, how could they vote third party with the stakes so high?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

NewForumSoftware posted:

Yes, we know Democrats are poo poo. What's unfortunate is that they'd rather lose to Donald Trump than let Bernie Sanders make the country a better place.

Sanders wouldn't have done poo poo, he would've been another Carter. But then again at least Carter won

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

Based on what? Do you think Clinton supporters would have voted for Jill Stein or something? Like how do you honestly see it playing out.

The Centrists are renowned pragmatists, how could they vote third party with the stakes so high?

I see a lot of black, Latino, LGBT, and women voters staying home, voting for a third party candidate, or writing in Clinton's name, rather than acquiescing to a non-democratic body removing a female candidate and replacing her with an old white man.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

If he had gotten it by Clinton being removed as nominee? Not a chance in hell.

hmm, i dunno. "i took down the corrupt, evil Hillary!" might actually play better than you think

of course, that would depend on the circumstances of her removal

edit: hmm, you edited it

but i still think "not a chance in hell" isn't the most accurate portrayal of that scenario

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

I see a lot of black, Latino, LGBT, and women voters staying home, voting for a third party candidate, or writing in Clinton's name, rather than acquiescing to a non-democratic body removing a female candidate and replacing her with an old white man.

So you think black people would have voted for Jill Stein over Bernie Sanders because Hillary Clinton didn't get the nomination? The DNC has nothing to do with democracy, you should know that.

You do realize that Bernie Sanders marched with MLK, right? And that his popularity has continued to grow, especially amongst minorities? Including the entire runup to the election.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Majorian posted:

You're conflating DNC members with the primary voters who actually voted for Clinton. Those voters aren't "poo poo," most of them aren't one-percenters, and a lot of them genuinely love Clinton.

This is a weird situation that I've been trying to delve more deeply into over the last couple days. I'm honestly not sure what Sanders was thinking by endorsing Mello. Perhaps he heard, as many of us did, that Mello got an 100% rating from Planned Parenthood Nebraska, when that actually turned out not to be the case. I do think Sanders needs to withdraw his endorsement, just as Kos has. But I'm guessing there's also more to this story than we are seeing.

I think Mello's 180 come to Jesus statement is enough

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
The entire "minorities were really wary of Bernie Sanders" shtick needs to die. It was a name recognition issue first and foremost. The fact that he has been, and probably will continue to be, the most popular politican in America (even moreso amongst minorities) should be kind of a hint.

Beyond that, age had way more to do with it than race.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

If he had gotten it by Clinton being removed as nominee? Not a chance in hell. A lot of Clinton's primary voters would have stayed home, after having seen "their" candidate removed by an undemocratic institution.

This. Frankly i think if Bernie had started out a bit earlier with an intent from the start to be the nominee i think he could have beaten Hillary as he probably would have campaigned enough in the south to possibly resurect the populism of the rainbow coalition.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

So you think black people would have voted for Jill Stein over Bernie Sanders because Hillary Clinton didn't get the nomination?

I think they would have stayed home, by and large, or voted for Stein, or written in Clinton's name.

quote:

You do realize that Bernie Sanders marched with MLK, right? And that his popularity has continued to grow, especially amongst minorities? Including the entire runup to the election.

That popularity would probably not have continued to grow if Clinton had been removed from the nomination by the DNC.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

I think they would have stayed home, by and large, or voted for Stein, or written in Clinton's name.

Based on what? Bernie's overwhelming popularity with the American people?

quote:

That popularity would probably not have continued to grow if Clinton had been removed from the nomination by the DNC.
Why?

Not only that, Bernie would have gotten way more Republicans to cross the aisle than Hillary ever could have hoped to. The DNC could not have picked a worse candidate really.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 21, 2017

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Scrapping the primary system and returning to appointing nominees would lead to more Hillary Clintons, not fewer of them.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

Based on what? Bernie's overwhelming popularity with the American people?

Sanders' popularity with the American people was not as high at the time as it is now. A lot of Clinton loyalists would have stayed home out of resentment at seeing a group of elites replace the candidate who got the most primary votes. The notion that Sanders would have been able to make up for this shortfall in support in the few months between the convention and the election is absurd.

quote:

Not only that, Bernie would have gotten way more Republicans to cross the aisle than Hillary ever could have hoped to.

I don't see much evidence of this, beyond your wishful thinking.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Sanders wouldn't have done poo poo, he would've been another Carter. But then again at least Carter won

Carter was a fiscal conservative who stopped Ted Kennedy from passing UHC and guaranteed government employment. Bernie would have been like Corbyn.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Because Clinton's supporters actually liked her and having the DNC do to her far worse than anything what they've been accused to doing to Bernie would not engender good feelings towards either the DNC or the candidate on whose behalf the DNC intervened, christ

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I think Mello's 180 come to Jesus statement is enough

What was that? I missed it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

Carter was a fiscal conservative who stopped Ted Kennedy from passing UHC and guaranteed government employment. Bernie would have been like Corbyn.

Sure, more the "one term president without any working relationship with Congressional leadership", because 2016, even had Sanders won, would not have been a Sanderista downticket wave but at best a Clintonista downticket wave because he didn't have a movement going into the election like he does coming out of it

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Carter was at odds with his party and Bernard would have been too, just for polar opposite reasons.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Maarek posted:

Scrapping the primary system and returning to appointing nominees would lead to more Hillary Clintons, not fewer of them.

Don't scrap it. Keep it. If someone cheats though, they should be removed from contention. This isn't really that hard to figure out.

Majorian posted:

I don't see much evidence of this, beyond your wishful thinking.
Really? You think Hillary Clinton is more appealing to your average gop voter than Bernie Sanders? How adorably quaint.

Here's something fun, name 3 democrats republicans hate more than Hillary Clinton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

Also this Hillary has her reputation in the shitter because of all the poo poo that has been revealed after the election. She was never liked but besides the lovely hangers on alot have given up on hercdue to these internal revelations. Her getting removed would have been a confirmation of Hillaries rants abot a vrwc. But now with Bernie being part of it. Alot would have stayed home.

Frankly as much as i love Sandrrs i think him by himsekf largely in office would not do us favors. This defeat made the left realise that centrists have been lying about their effectiveness and given progressive politics a new wind.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 21, 2017

• Locked thread