Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

SoundMonkey posted:

is there any way you or another household member can record the look on their face when they first walk in

I'll see what I can do. No guarantees though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Prediction:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

I'll see what I can do. No guarantees though.

They've seen it though

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SoundMonkey posted:

i'm going to estimate your age at roughly 300

close enough

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Burt Sexual posted:

Your bedspread has cum alllll over it btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kL_qCvtGW0

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

That's not a Hyatt regency that I stay at. Which still has cum tho

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
He walks in and, right as he's about to say something, the floor collapses under him.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Snak posted:

He walks in and, right as he's about to say something, the floor collapses under him.

Don't worry, the contractor is bonded and insured. The engineer works for the contractor. He could only hope for such an incident, and the resulting payout.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm glad you are getting your floor fixed. How is the wall with the vanities doing? Are you contracting that out as well or going to redo it yourself?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Lladre posted:

I'm glad you are getting your floor fixed. How is the wall with the vanities doing? Are you contracting that out as well or going to redo it yourself?

The vast majority of the remaining work has been contracted out, including the vanity wall plumbing and repair. Only a few minor things will remain once they are done. I even talked myself into adding a steam shower which wasn't on the final plans (was up in the air about it).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bEatmstrJ posted:

The vast majority of the remaining work has been contracted out, including the vanity wall plumbing and repair. Only a few minor things will remain once they are done. I even talked myself into adding a steam shower which wasn't on the final plans (was up in the air about it).

okay so level with me. diy is great but sometimes it goes bad. sometimes it goes bad enough you have to get pros to fix it. in the end, was it worth the diy, even considering that? are you getting the bathroom you wanted, roughly, in the end?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Actually, OP, what are you getting? What is the contractor doing to fix it and what will the final result be now due to having professionals complete the renovation?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

Actually, OP, what are you getting?

yeah did he ever explain what the actual plan was that led to the beams being cut? I just remember a lot of :iiam:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I legit want to know why he was going to sink the tub, please inquiring minds want to know.

ndPunkOne
Aug 5, 2002

Snak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2lWiMOhP1Y

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I am glad you are fixing those joists because goddamn, man.

Also, poo poo like this is why building codes and inspectors exist. Fortunately every time I talk to the building inspector he tells me I'm going overboard, wasting money, and don't need to do it that way, and then I do it that way anyways. You could put a weightlifting room and a waterbed plus a few cars on my floor joists and they'd be like "fite me irl bro"

Bad Munki posted:

"Infinity bidet" is something I'm not ashamed to say I never thought of, but also desperately wish I had.

This gives me an idea. Make the bottom of your tub out of mirror, put a mirror on the ceiling above. Infinite mirror tub-loving.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

kastein posted:

I am glad you are fixing those joists because goddamn, man.

Also, poo poo like this is why building codes and inspectors exist. Fortunately every time I talk to the building inspector he tells me I'm going overboard, wasting money, and don't need to do it that way, and then I do it that way anyways. You could put a weightlifting room and a waterbed plus a few cars on my floor joists and they'd be like "fite me irl bro"

This gives me an idea. Make the bottom of your tub out of mirror, put a mirror on the ceiling above. Infinite mirror tub-loving.
A mirrored tub? Look, if you wanna stick your bare rear end inside a parabolic mirror, that's between you and your God. Personally I don't feel like having to get skin grafts on my taint.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

okay so level with me. diy is great but sometimes it goes bad. sometimes it goes bad enough you have to get pros to fix it. in the end, was it worth the diy, even considering that? are you getting the bathroom you wanted, roughly, in the end?

Well I certainly learned a lot. Without the challenge of the floor joists my plan was to do everything except build the shower pan/hot map and do the tile work. Those items were always going to be contracted out, although likely to some cheaper craigslist guys.

If I could do it again myself, I probably would. I enjoy DIY and learning about this stuff and sometimes you have to make some mistakes to get things right.

The bathroom will still be completed exactly as intended, and I was adamant about that with the contractor so they understand that I will be heavily involved in the design of things (which has changed only slightly from the 3d mockup). The reason I decided to contract most of it was because knowing an inspection would be required for the floor joists meant many other items would be triggered for inspection as well at the same time. So rather than dealing with all of the inspection items I'm just letting the contractor take care of anything that will require inspection.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well I certainly learned a lot. Without the challenge of the floor joists my plan was to do everything except build the shower pan/hot map and do the tile work. Those items were always going to be contracted out, although likely to some cheaper craigslist guys.

If I could do it again myself, I probably would. I enjoy DIY and learning about this stuff and sometimes you have to make some mistakes to get things right.

The bathroom will still be completed exactly as intended, and I was adamant about that with the contractor so they understand that I will be heavily involved in the design of things (which has changed only slightly from the 3d mockup). The reason I decided to contract most of it was because knowing an inspection would be required for the floor joists meant many other items would be triggered for inspection as well at the same time. So rather than dealing with all of the inspection items I'm just letting the contractor take care of anything that will require inspection.

Did that creepy dude really report you to the city or was he full of poo poo?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

JB50 posted:

"Um, hi. I'm from the Internet..."

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Here's a list of items the contractor will be tackling for the curious

- Engineering of the joists
- Repair/replace joists
- Redo tub plumbing (necessary after joist repair)
- Fix vanity plumbing
- Install new backer and tile vanity wall
- Fix any problems with the new shower wall
- Bathtub faucet plumbing
- Bathtub subfloor install and tiling
- Shower drain plumbing
- Shower benches/threshold framing
- Remove old electrical/lighting from shower area
- All shower fixture plumbing
- Shower pan build and hot mop
- Run old jacuzzi wiring to new location for heated floor/outlets
- Install steam shower
- Install backer and tile in shower/ceiling
- Install shower lights
- Frameless shower glass install
- Remove the old shower wall (partial - engineer to check)
- Cap off old shower plumbing
- Install floor heating element
- Install floor tile
- Demo as needed
- Passing all inspections

bEatmstrJ fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 21, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SoundMonkey posted:

sorry there's no way to check someone's birthday on the forum, they removed it after all of yospos set theirs to 4/20 and the birthday greeting system crashed one year ago today

i mean of course that didn't happen but it's shockingly plausible

If that was going to crash the forum it would've happened a decade ago

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

JB50 posted:

Pretty sure he was just blowing internet smoke. That being said, it takes a while to get inspectors over, so maybe there are some delays and he will be here soon. I was told by the contractor that the permit may take up to 9 weeks for approval.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Turtlicious posted:

I legit want to know why he was going to sink the tub, please inquiring minds want to know.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
do you know the details of how the joists will be repaired yet?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

A mirrored tub? Look, if you wanna stick your bare rear end inside a parabolic mirror, that's between you and your God. Personally I don't feel like having to get skin grafts on my taint.

The focal point of a parabolic reflector is... not on its surface. And your rear end will be on its surface, blocking light from the reflector so it never gets to the focal point anyway.

Unless of course the ceiling mirror causes something like this...

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Snak posted:

The focal point of a parabolic reflector is... not on its surface. And your rear end will be on its surface, blocking light from the reflector so it never gets to the focal point anyway.

I will admit I didn't fully examine the physics involved in the taint scorching scenario.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Snak posted:

Or as the English say, the foecal point, and I'll see myself out.....Steps off unfinished balcony shored up by compromised sisters, or as we call them, nuns

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

This mirror-on-the bath floor talk reminds me of a place I was staying on vacation. There was a convex metal cover over the drain in the center of the shower that was very reflective. If you looked down while standing over it, you got to imagine yourself as the goat man. Not something I recommend.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bEatmstrJ posted:

- Repair/replace joists
- Fix vanity plumbing
- Shower drain plumbing
- Install steam shower
- Install shower lights
- Install floor tile
- Demo as needed

please post what the engineered solution for your floor joists are once you have it. the engineering nerd contingent here is interested!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Snak posted:

The focal point of a parabolic reflector is... not on its surface.

what if it's a very small parabola

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

brugroffil posted:

please post what the engineered solution for your floor joists are once you have it. the engineering nerd contingent here is interested!

Naturally. I suspect it will be a few weeks before I see the plans though. I'll probably know more on Monday when he shows up.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Bad Munki posted:

How close can we get the focal point to the surface, and still have room for the taint?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I mean frankly that depends on the taint.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I think we need to factor for taint melanin levels as well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

Then it's not a bathtub.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

bEatmstrJ posted:

- Repair/replace joists
- Fix vanity plumbing
- Shower drain plumbing
- Install steam shower
- Install shower lights
- Install floor tile
- Demo as needed

Care to share the amount of the quote?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

socketwrencher posted:

Care to share the amount of the quote?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Seems like a very good price. Hope it goes well.

• Locked thread