Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
My only beef with durability is that I can't throw my shield at a bokoblin's face so I get the annoying prompt for shield has low durability all the time... which I promptly fix by shield surfing and making Link eat some dirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

WalrusWhiskers posted:

My only beef with durability is that I can't throw my shield at a bokoblin's face so I get the annoying prompt for shield has low durability all the time... which I promptly fix by shield surfing and making Link eat some dirt

Yeah Link. Thanks what you get when I have to use the shield too much. THATS WHAT YOU GET. Just remember that I do this because I love you.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

WalrusWhiskers posted:

Excuse to do a sick in combat shield surf move!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's been 3 weeks since I played this and games like Tomb Raider still seem horrendously broken because I can't climb short wooden fences or chest high rocks.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Speaking of weapon durability, I'd love to see a run where Link is restricted to having only one bow and one melee weapon stocked at a time (excluding mastersword, which wouldn't be used).

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Nice writeup, thanks for taking the time. I agree with a lot of your analysis although weapon durability just doesn't bother me. I understand why it bothers some, though. I think there probably could have been a happy medium. What if there was a blacksmith in some town who (for a price) could make any weapon unbreakable? At first, you could only hold a single unbreakable weapon, but you could use Korok seeds to convert up to 4 of your weapons spaces to be able to hold unbreakable weapons. Then, your unbreakable weapons act essentially like the master sword, where they take damage and slowly degrade (but are never completely destroyed, only rendered unusable), then you go back to the blacksmith to repair them.

This would also open the door to adding modifications to your unbreakable weapons - elemental and otherwise. Imagine a bow modification that allowed you to shoot arrows that had octorok balloons attached to them, causing the enemy to float into the sky when they're hit. Or a poison sword modification that made enemies turn on each other once their health got down to a certain point.

It's probably all overkill and possibly undermines the real point of the game, but it's fun to think of.

I totally agree with the "Adventure Engine" idea. Once I beat the main storyline of the game, I went back to just having random adventures and it's a really unique and fun experience.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
My only complaint for durability is that polearms survive only a single toss when you hit the mob.

I want to be able to chuck a spear into a hinox eye and then scramble to pick it up and line up a second toss, instead each spear is essentially one time use, even the elemental ones.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Barreft posted:

Rain is the most annoying goddamn thing in this game. You can't light any color torches, you can't climb, if it storms makes sure you have all wooden poo poo. And then you just zone to someplace you can sleep so it goes away.

Like Stamina is annoying enough but I'm cool with that challenge, but just.. ARGH. I was just going up a mountain to get to a tower and it starts raining and I fall down of course, so off I go to teleport to Kakariko and sleep until it's gone. That's not a challenge just an annoyance. Unless I'm missing some way you can scale things while it's raining.

Step 1: loving rain.
Step 2: Port to somewhere I can sleep.
Step 3: Go back and do what I was doing.

It's not even a challenge.

Post/avatar combo.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Forward Toward posted:

Hey did you know you can light your arrows on fire with blue flame before you fire them? Instead of trying to constantly save and reload when the torch you threw through a hole misses...

I am dumb. But I am loving these tiny bits of consistency across the world

Someone just finished Vah Rudania...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hard mode: Koroks are replaced by Lynels.

"Yahaha! I've found you!"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Ventana posted:

The weather indicator more or less tells you exactly this. Not like to the second when it starts/stops, but it's pretty good at the general warnings.

I know it does, which is why I want to be able to turn it on absent other elements of the normal HUD. That was the point of that complaint. I don't want the minimap or the temperature, I just want the daily weather forecast, but you can't toggle those elements individually-- it's all or nothing.

RE: Durability Stuff -

I like the durability system, I do. My problem with it is different than most people's; late game, weapons don't break fast enough. I just don't know what to do with all these Royal Broadswords. I can't remember the last time I actually broke a Royal Claymore before I wound up trading it for a sparkly new one. I am being showered in riches and I don't know what to do with it all. Eventually I got over feeling bad for throwing things away, but it's still something that could use tweaking.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
So my dad and I have been playing Zelda games since 1992 when I got an NES for Christmas. We used to play them together but obviously that hasn't been a thing for us since OoT due to him taking a long time to adjust to 3D Zeldas and me going to college. He's since gotten the hang of things and has played all the main console ones and since his favorite is LttP I bought him a 2DS for Christmas in 2013 so he could play A Link Between Worlds. When I wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Breath of the Wild he obviously had to pick up a Wii U and play it himself.

This past week I came into possession of an extra Smash Link amiibo card which I mailed to him. He's been texting me regular updates and the latest is "got the card thanks. when i used it i just got baked fruit. do i need to do anything special?"

At first I was worried that the card was hosed up but then a thought occurred to me and I asked him where he was when he used it.

"just got to goron city"

So yeah, it's pretty cool of Nintendo to not let you summon your poor horse to an active volcano.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Amiibos give items out of a pool. You're not guaranteed the special items on the first try.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Norns posted:

Amiibos give items out of a pool. You're not guaranteed the special items on the first try.

I think Epona is heavily weighted to appear on the first attempt, and he didn't mention a chest, but maybe it is still hosed up and it wasn't just trying to spawn her and failed due to the location. I guess we'll see when he tries it again in a more hospitable climate.

Is it even possible to get a horse up to Goron City?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fortis posted:

I think Epona is heavily weighted to appear on the first attempt, and he didn't mention a chest, but maybe it is still hosed up and it wasn't just trying to spawn her and failed due to the location. I guess we'll see when he tries it again in a more hospitable climate.

Is it even possible to get a horse up to Goron City?

Epona definitely doesn't always show up on the first attempt. I played for 3 days before she popped up (in a location where I couldn't get her out of to register her so there's no failsafes like that) and then she showed up again way later. You just have to get lucky or savescum if you want her right away.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Regy Rusty posted:

Epona definitely doesn't always show up on the first attempt. I played for 3 days before she popped up (in a location where I couldn't get her out of to register her so there's no failsafes like that) and then she showed up again way later. You just have to get lucky or savescum if you want her right away.

I get Epona every time... even though I have her in a stable already.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It's been 3 weeks since I played this and games like Tomb Raider still seem horrendously broken because I can't climb short wooden fences or chest high rocks.

I really liked the new Tomb Raider series before playing this. After BOTW, those games seem so much worse. I wonder how many dev teams making open world games coming out later this year or early next year screamed poo poo after playing this game. It's crazy how you can get to any spot on the map. If something looks interesting on the map check it out and you won't be disappointed. I can't think of a single other game that does that.

Norns posted:

I've used 3 different (mine and a couple of friend's) Link Smash amiibos. All 3 gave me Epona the first time.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Fortis posted:

So my dad and I have been playing Zelda games since 1992 when I got an NES for Christmas. We used to play them together but obviously that hasn't been a thing for us since OoT due to him taking a long time to adjust to 3D Zeldas and me going to college. He's since gotten the hang of things and has played all the main console ones and since his favorite is LttP I bought him a 2DS for Christmas in 2013 so he could play A Link Between Worlds. When I wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Breath of the Wild he obviously had to pick up a Wii U and play it himself.

This past week I came into possession of an extra Smash Link amiibo card which I mailed to him. He's been texting me regular updates and the latest is "got the card thanks. when i used it i just got baked fruit. do i need to do anything special?"

At first I was worried that the card was hosed up but then a thought occurred to me and I asked him where he was when he used it.

"just got to goron city"

So yeah, it's pretty cool of Nintendo to not let you summon your poor horse to an active volcano.

I know you can't get a horse to zoras domain or the desert. I dont think you can get one up dm either. What about lost woods, typhlo ruins or the like?

Can you iron door float over those barricades?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

nexous posted:

I get Epona every time... even though I have her in a stable already.

Now that's really something

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

frodnonnag posted:

I know you can't get a horse to zoras domain or the desert. I dont think you can get one up dm either. What about lost woods, typhlo ruins or the like?

Can you iron door float over those barricades?
I left my horse at the entrance to the lost woods, and then whistled when I reached the end. She managed to navigate through it. Not sure if it followed the correct path or just ignored the fog barriers that teleport you out.
I think your horse can go most of the way up Death Mountain without exploding or anything, but they'll be stopped by cliff walls before reaching Goron City.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I wish there was like a weaponsmith where you could buy/sell weapons and maybe roll for different bonuses for current weapons. You could throw them in Tarrey Town or something. Half of my inventory are 70+ damage Ancient Battle Axes that I doubt I'll ever use.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish Link's house was bigger or could just made it able to hold more weapons.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gruckles posted:

I left my horse at the entrance to the lost woods, and then whistled when I reached the end. She managed to navigate through it. Not sure if it followed the correct path or just ignored the fog barriers that teleport you out.
I think your horse can go most of the way up Death Mountain without exploding or anything, but they'll be stopped by cliff walls before reaching Goron City.

There is a point much earlier in the path up dm where there is the 'stand on this and you'll ignite' hardening lava completely covering the path. Its down before the mine i think.
(Or is it a bigass rock slide)
Horses also can take damage from blight and will refuse to walk on it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Whenever I get a weapon with the "Long Throw" bonus, I immediately take advantage of it by chucking it as far away from me as possible, so yeah, the ability to reroll bonuses (or just apply bonuses to items in general) would be nice.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh wow apparently you can use Rock Salt to hold down pressure plates? Gonna be trying that out.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

McDragon posted:

Oh wow apparently you can use Rock Salt to hold down pressure plates? Gonna be trying that out.

I think you can use any inventory.

You can also do this.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So I read you can get dragon scales / horns / fangs only once a day. Does that mean in-game day or actual irl day like with amiibos?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Unmature posted:

I think you can use any inventory.

You can also do this.

:eyepop:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

seiferguy posted:

So I read you can get dragon scales / horns / fangs only once a day. Does that mean in-game day or actual irl day like with amiibos?

Well you just use a campfire and go to the next day so the dragon respawns, so "ingame day"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Xaris posted:

Well you just use a campfire and go to the next day so the dragon respawns, so "ingame day"

Ok, perfect. I hasn't gotten around to farming them yet and was worried I hosed up that!

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Unmature posted:

You can also do this.

At first glance I was like, "who cares", but then I realized where this was.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

seiferguy posted:

Ok, perfect. I hasn't gotten around to farming them yet and was worried I hosed up that!

I saw a video that was related to making fast rupees and it involves a campfire method that nets you roughly 3 Frosh horns per minute. They're definitely farmable, so no concern for that.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Still learning new things about this game 110+ hours later...

https://gfycat.com/ExemplaryMiserableCygnet

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

canoshiz posted:

:aaaaa:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

canoshiz posted:

The best part of this is Dinraal approaching in the background. But yeah, that's still funny.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the amiiboo spoofer thing that Gamestop sells? I'd like to pick one up if one of my local gamestops has them in stock.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GobiasIndustries posted:

What's the amiiboo spoofer thing that Gamestop sells? I'd like to pick one up if one of my local gamestops has them in stock.

You meant that thing you can use to make legal backups of the Amiibo that you legally own, and restore those .bin files to a rewritable NFC disc thing?

http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/amiibo-action-replay-powersaves/127307

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

GobiasIndustries posted:

http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/amiibo-action-replay-powersaves/127307

Make sure its the one with a "Powertag"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Astro7x posted:

You meant that thing you can use to make legal backups of the Amiibo that you legally own, and restore those .bin files to a rewritable NFC disc thing?

Err yeah that. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Keep in mind if you do not use a backup of an amiibo that you own you are committing theft and copyright fraud.