Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!
Toilet Rascal
Reminder that it's 95% certain that the reason you can't change your PSN gamertag is that it's the primary key in the user database

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snak posted:

Oh man, I'm sure it is an SQL query...

That still doesn't excuse the lovely interface. Not unless they can't figure out CONCAT, at least.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
code:
NewChar c = EntryBar.getSelected();
searchString = searchString + c;
for(Title title : ListofTitles){
	for(String word : title){
		if( word == searchString ){
			resultList.append(title)
		}
		if( resultList.size() > 6 ){ //that should be enough results
			return resultList;
		}
	}
}
return resultList;
I did it guys! I implemented a search feature for the psn :downs:
:suicide:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

haveblue posted:

I wish more (or any) consoles had stolen the text input system from Beyond Good and Evil.. It's the best I've seen before the PS4's motion control.

Seriously this thing was fantastic and if it's not patented then why hasn't everyone jumped on this

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

Reminder that it's 95% certain that the reason you can't change your PSN gamertag is that it's the primary key in the user database

Couldn't they get around all of this by just allowing you to make user name and account name separate? Like setting your "real name" except it's public?

I kind of like that you can't change it because people just change their names and then you don't know who they are anymore.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Digirat posted:

Seriously this thing was fantastic and if it's not patented then why hasn't everyone jumped on this

I assume its controlled by the analog stick? Otherwise how is it different then the ps store?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok guys. So I finished Ending A on Nier:A.

It was ok. Still nothing really hooked me. How much of a new game would I have to play to see any of the "AHA! THIS IS WHY EVERYONE IS SO GEEKED ON THIS!" stuff?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Digirat posted:

Looks fuckin horrible to me but that example may be too simple and could be clouding my judgement. I definitely don't want to spin an analog stick multiple times to get from one end of the alphabet to the other.

Feenix posted:

It was ok. Still nothing really hooked me. How much of a new game would I have to play to see any of the "AHA! THIS IS WHY EVERYONE IS SO GEEKED ON THIS!" stuff?

All of it and then start again. You'll get it when you get there. Not a spoiler but everyone seems to miss it: Make sure to talk to the people with the robot masks with TALK over their heads in the camp.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Attitude Indicator posted:

I assume its controlled by the analog stick? Otherwise how is it different then the ps store?

It was a spiral design, so you rotated the stick clockwise and counterclockwise, which was INCREDIBLY easy to pick letters with an analog controller. Once you got used to the spacing, you could crank stuff out pretty easily with a minimum of button tapping, and it's never been used again for anything since.

Feenix posted:

The game honestly doesn't begin until you beat it twice.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Obsurveyor posted:

Looks fuckin horrible to me but that example may be too simple and could be clouding my judgement. I definitely don't want to spin an analog stick multiple times to get from one end of the alphabet to the other.

All of it and then start again. You'll get it when you get there.

Yes but as someone who was not really having the best time in it, I was suggested to at least beat it "and then I'd get it".

I still don't really GET the hook. So I'm looking to know how much more of a time investment I need to make for this to have that awesome effect on me or whatever. An hour more now that I beat A? 2 hours? A whole new run of the full game?

[edit]

Crappy Jack posted:

The game honestly doesn't begin until you beat it twice.

If it takes even remotely the same time as the first time, I'm out then.

It's an ok game. I just have other poo poo to do and other games to play.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Feenix posted:

Yes but as someone who was not really having the best time in it, I was suggested to at least beat it "and then I'd get it".

I still don't really GET the hook. So I'm looking to know how much more of a time investment I need to make for this to have that awesome effect on me or whatever. An hour more now that I beat A? 2 hours? A whole new run of the full game?

Running the game multiple times is what hooks you. I know it doesn't make any loving sense but do it. It's impossible to say why without spoilers and you don't want it spoiled. Also, read my ninja edit because it's important to your second playthrough. I was in exactly the same position you are at with how I felt about the game but by the real end, I love every bit of it.

Quitting now is like leaving at the halfway point(or maybe a little sooner) of any other game. If you did all the side quest stuff in the first playthrough, it's definitely not going to take you as long. You haven't seen everything, not by a long shot.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

Start b and tap triangle near enemies

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

How many posts does it take to stop dragging someone kicking and screaming through a game they don't like?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Obsurveyor posted:

Running the game multiple times is what hooks you. I know it doesn't make any loving sense but do it. It's impossible to say why without spoilers and you don't want it spoiled. Also, read my ninja edit because it's important to your second playthrough. I was in exactly the same position you are at with how I felt about the game but by the real end, I love every bit of it.

Quitting now is like leaving at the halfway point(or maybe a little sooner) of any other game. If you did all the side quest stuff in the first playthrough, it's definitely not going to take you as long. You haven't seen everything, not by a long shot.

I did none of the sidequest stuff. I mained through it... I guess I'm just leery of investing more time in a game that (so far) has ranked a little above boring in the "acceptable" realm, only to find out that the big hook is something like "At the very end we find out the BattleStar Galactica poo poo happened before humanity came into being..." or some little nod that, while cool, doesn't really vindicate how much time I spent playing a game I wasn't really enjoying...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Real hurthling! posted:

Start b and tap triangle near enemies

I will give this a shot.

I mean, clearly my lack of "gently caress this... I'm done" means I'm intrigued. I guess it's just hard to tell if people felt like what reveals itself is like GOTY gently caress YES I CANNOT BELIEVE IT! material, or like "heh, that was cool they did that thing..."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well, I personally was hooked by the first boss of the second playthrough because of story reasons.

I think if you aren't interested by then, it's safe to call it quits.

The second route is also much faster than the first one.

Edit: by first boss I mean Opera Boss.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Feenix posted:

I did none of the sidequest stuff. I mained through it... I guess I'm just leery of investing more time in a game that (so far) has ranked a little above boring in the "acceptable" realm, only to find out that the big hook is something like "At the very end we find out the BattleStar Galactica poo poo happened before humanity came into being..." or some little nod that, while cool, doesn't really vindicate how much time I spent playing a game I wasn't really enjoying...

Well, it seemed from your previous posts like it was growing on you. The game is a slow burn like that. If you can't stand the thought of going through the whole game again(continue skipping sidequests, it's fine) then yeah, I guess drop it but if you play games to see the whole thing, you're leaving a lot on the table.

Feenix posted:

I mean, clearly my lack of "gently caress this... I'm done" means I'm intrigued. I guess it's just hard to tell if people felt like what reveals itself is like GOTY gently caress YES I CANNOT BELIEVE IT! material, or like "heh, that was cool they did that thing..."

It's the journey it takes you through, not a singular revelation.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 21, 2017

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Liver Disaster posted:

How many posts does it take to stop dragging someone kicking and screaming through a game they don't like?

It can't be stopped. Onus is on the op to not wake the monster.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Obsurveyor posted:

Well, it seemed from your previous posts like it was growing on you. The game is a slow burn like that. If you can't stand the thought of going through the whole game again(continue skipping sidequests, it's fine) then yeah, I guess drop it but if you play games to see the whole thing, you're leaving a lot on the table.

It's the journey it takes you through, not a singular revelation.

I don't hate it. I mean, I agree seeing games through is satisfying. I just usually do that for games that I derive more entertainment than this from...

I will say, for someone who's patience was wearing a bit thin on this, the tripping bucket gag was NOT welcome. LOL.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I laughed out loud at that when it happened to me. Couldn't even be mad. So funny.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The latest trailer for Injustice 2 has kinda got me hyped, and I'm a little concerned about that because the first one was such a disappointment.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Liver Disaster posted:

people have told him he should stop; he just didn't. expect to see the same answers repeated at him for so long as he keeps asking the same question

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Liver Disaster posted:

As many as it takes for other people to stop giving them attention.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Come on, this is just a tiny speed bump between the next Uncharted or Soulsborne 10 pager.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Manatee Cannon posted:

people have told him he should stop; he just didn't. expect to see the same answers repeated at him for so long as he keeps asking the same question

Most posts initially did not tell me to stop. They told me play a little bit longer (when I was about halfway through my first playthrough...) and get to the end of A.

I did that. There wasn't a big revelation and my mind didn't change. So I came back essentially asking if I had to play a LITTLE more or a LOT more... that's all this stemmed from.

Obsurveyor posted:

Come on, this is just a tiny speed bump between the next Uncharted or Soulsborne 10 pager.

Yeah we can always go back to talking about PCs.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Feenix posted:

You're literally less than halfway through the game. If you really don't like it then stop, nobody's forcing you

Amazing game though

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

I did none of the sidequest stuff.

You should do some sidequest stuff

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fix posted:

The latest trailer for Injustice 2 has kinda got me hyped, and I'm a little concerned about that because the first one was such a disappointment.

It plays exactly the same.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

N:A is a loving great game, that just got better and better the further along i got, and is one of the best games on the system imo.

but if you don't like playing nier:automata you probably shouldn't spend your free time playing nier:automata

E: but i was aboard yoko taro's poo poo ship from the beginning and i'm also a moron idiot, so make of it what you will

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Feenix posted:

I will give this a shot.

Feenix posted:

Playthrough B can probably be done pretty quick, 8 hours or so, maybe faster? I felt like Route A was a perfectly ok game but not particularly compelling and route B was actually worse and I would not have stuck it out if I wasn't already familiar with Yoko Tarro. Route C is absolutely where everything comes together and the final E ending is honestly my favorite moment ever in a video game. It caused me to experience honest and genuine reflection and did so in a way that could only be done in a video game. It wasn't some sort of life-changing epiphany or anything, I don't want to oversell it.

I don't think anyone will really blame you if you don't want to slog through 30+ hours of just ok to get to the 10ish hours of incredible.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
It's okay to not like a videogame, and if you're just rushing through Nier Automata because you just want to get it over with, then you're allowed to just not play it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

To be honest I refunded Nier on Steam with a little over two hours played. It just wasn't gripping me at first and if I'm not that invested in a game early I tend to just drift away. I'll probably try to pick it up again when it's on discount.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

As someone who wants to try N:A, if you claim that you need to beat the game before it gets good, the game is not good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm feeling pretty tempted to subject myself to a cat telling me to go to bed over and over. I'm feeling that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shadow225 posted:

As someone who wants to try N:A, if you claim that you need to beat the game before it gets good, the game is not good.

A couple things. First, I think it's good from the start, but the plot doesn't really hook you until B, maybe the start of C. Second, you haven't actually beat the game until you get ending E. The other endings are more like act breaks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's good from the start but not everyone is gonna like it

people want other people to like the thing they like, so if someone says "I don't like this, does it get good?" then they're gonna go "yea keep going until [thing I like] happens". it's just that in this case, that's a big time investment to commit to something you don't like on the off chance that you'll change your mind

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Shadow225 posted:

It's a presentational thing, on top of Yoko Taro being, well, Yoko Taro. What the game calls an ending isn't an ending, and what could be referred to as the third playthrough is more like continuing after a prologue.

Part of the difficulty in selling the game to people is that it does things that are just plain insane, and makes them work in a way that's pretty emotionally relevant, but that in describing them, just sound insane. Like the fact that the true final boss is (vague ending spoilers)a marketing department, which sounds crazy out of context, and yet ingame is something I haven't seen anything close to in a game before, and if I'd had it spoiled, it would have sucked out so much.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

"Beat the game" is misleading, there are just points in the game where credits roll and those are called endings but there's more game afterward. If you get to ending A and stop, that's like giving up on a movie after the first act. If you're thinking that you have to completely retread the same steps several times to get the whole story, that's not what happens.

Freak Futanari posted:

It's okay to not like a videogame, and if you're just rushing through Nier Automata because you just want to get it over with, then you're allowed to just not play it.

The thing is that there's a great story in there and the game openly concedes that its gameplay is kinda frustrating and not for everyone. Since it provides so many tools for sanding down whatever edges of the combat bother you, up to the point of putting it on autopilot, it's actually a nice thing to point that out and keep people motivated so they can experience all the cool stuff that comes later.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shadow225 posted:

It's great from the beginning though, it just gets amazing further on. Like, one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Shadow225 posted:

I mean how do you define good? If I were to give a score to just playthrough A of Nier it would probably be a 7 or maybe an 8. The combat is good but not great, the story is still well above average despite pacing issues and it leaving a lot of questions unanswered due to the multiple playthrough expectation. Other than the graphics being mediocre it's still a solidly above average game.