Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Spikeguy posted:

How does Japan view relations between, let's say, high school seniors and teachers? Is it illegal? Is it taboo? I don't know much about who Japan says is and is not OK to date.

It is not okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

wizard on a water slide posted:

2) Chihiya has absolutely nothing special to say when you ask her to read her own affinity toward you

I don't think you're actually telling her who you're getting the reading for, you just picture them in your head while she does her thing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I feel bad for the girls and wish I could date them all because look at their other options:

idiot
cat
artsexual
mishima

Yusuke is a prize catch and I won't hear otherwise

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nobody would be defending the teacher romance with such fervor if the MC was a girl and the teacher was a guy, let's not kid ourselves here.

Yeah pretty much this. It's cool that Joker is such a horndog he (potentially) wants to gently caress his teacher, but if you take even a little step back from the game it reflects on Kawakami really, really badly.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Wait, Chihaya's readings don't take time? gently caress.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be fair, she never even remotely acts like his teacher until possibly after the link is complete.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the Persona 5 protag is cool because he's such a less of a tryhard than the P4 protag but gets 10x as much girls

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also the game acknowledges this repeatedly and both Kawakami and Ohya have lines acknowledging YOU SHOULDN'T DATE MINORS and then they go ahead and do it anyway because Joker, what a guy :swoon:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean, I don't think major-minor relationships are taken well at all in Japan in general, but I know student-teacher in particular is frowned upon.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Clarste posted:

I don't think you're actually telling her who you're getting the reading for, you just picture them in your head while she does her thing.
I'm pretty sure you don't tell Morgana whom you're praying for at the shrine either. It's probably bad luck to talk about it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

multijoe posted:

Also the game acknowledges this repeatedly and both Kawakami and Ohya have lines acknowledging YOU SHOULDN'T DATE MINORS and then they go ahead and do it anyway because Joker, what a guy :swoon:

Guess he must've

*puts on mask*

stole their hearts

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Kawakami's first act when you start her S Link is to allow you to goof off in school, she clearly doesn't care very much about any aspect of teaching other than helping kids out (and even then she's sort of lost her way a bit until you help her sort it out)

Honestly in a game that repeatedly emphasizes that authority figures are human garbage the only way to be One of the Good Ones is to basically ignore the power that comes with your station (which is the route Kawakami, Sojiro, and Sae all take). Basically, Kawakami wanting to gently caress her students fits with the themes of the game in a weird sideways manner even if that poo poo absolutely doesn't fly in the real world.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pastrymancy posted:

They should add a jukebox option for mementos exploring

It would make sense to since you're in a cat van, don't know why it isn't in. I would jam out to the Palace 6 theme all the way to the bottom.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Like the teacher 'romance' was funnier in 3 since she didn't know her MMO buddy was you, and she was also smashed drunk 90% of the time she played. Here it's way weirder, to me at least. I don't think it reflects badly on people who like the character or wanna gently caress her cuz she's an attractive 2D adult woman or whatever but yeah.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Moltrey posted:

the Persona 5 protag is cool because he's such a less of a tryhard than the P4 protag but gets 10x as much girls

drat, it 'strue

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Mementos should have at least had the Tartarus treatment, where the music starts simple and gets more added on each tier.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Guess he must've

*puts on mask*

stole their hearts

Joker is fighting back against the corrupt adult society that keeps the sexy twentysomething women to itself by stealing their hearts one by one

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Mementos should have at least had the Tartarus treatment, where the music starts simple and gets more added on each tier.

The least they could have done is have the mementos theme overlap over itself more and more as you go down, so that by the end your ears are being blown out by a huge elevator music clusterfuck

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Agreed. I was expecting that to happen and it seems like a real missed opportunity, because it's really simple right now and could definitely have more layered on top.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

Agreed. I was expecting that to happen and it seems like a real missed opportunity, because it's really simple right now and could definitely have more layered on top.

In general they could have spent more than five minutes developing the assets for their 70 floor mega-dungeon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Mementos felt really weird and pointless to me in general. Like, did anybody actually use it for it's ostensibly stated purpose of grinding to be strong enough to take on a palace?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

He's gonna steal the P4 girls without even trying in Persona 5 Arena.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Mementos felt really weird and pointless to me in general. Like, did anybody actually use it for it's ostensibly stated purpose of grinding to be strong enough to take on a palace?

No, because it is, in fact, terrible for that purpose. The enemies you can fight are always ones from the previous Palace, and if you finished that Palace, you're already strong enough to start the next one, where you will immediately get more EXP than you would in Mementos.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I appreciate Mementos in a thematic sense

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Same. Although the only times you really want to go into it are when you have a whole bunch of requests / SLinks at the go. Then you hammer 4 or 5 of them, hit the next barrier, and leave until the next time.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/rekka236/status/855139893894193154

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I think Mementos is pretty cool as a concept, I just wish I had a reason to go there beyond progressing confidants or when I'm required to get to the bottom to finish the game.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think Mementos is pretty cool as a concept, I just wish I had a reason to go there beyond progressing confidants or when I'm required to get to the bottom to finish the game.

I mean you can snap the game in half with the Reaper, so.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
These chief fights in palace 5 are the worst things about this game it's insane. My entire party sans mc is dead because the die fast because I can't outheal the enemy but I have reflect on mc. I have the chief and one minion alive and I just cannot win because the chief gets healed to full, the minion dies, new minion summoned, chief healed to full, repeat. I'm be had rush mode on while I type this post and this fight will not end. I don't know how I'm supposed to finish this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They all have weaknesses.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Overbite posted:

These chief fights in palace 5 are the worst things about this game it's insane. My entire party sans mc is dead because the die fast because I can't outheal the enemy but I have reflect on mc. I have the chief and one minion alive and I just cannot win because the chief gets healed to full, the minion dies, new minion summoned, chief healed to full, repeat. I'm be had rush mode on while I type this post and this fight will not end. I don't know how I'm supposed to finish this.

Use Fire on the minions, and Elec/Wind/Curse on the Chief depending on which one it is. They have like 500HP and go down in no time.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Judge of the Dead is pretty sick, I wish I knew how to get Haru's ultimate gun

I believe you need to Electric Chair Baal for Haru's super gun

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Dragonatrix posted:

Use Fire on the minions, and Elec/Wind/Curse on the Chief depending on which one it is. They have like 500HP and go down in no time.

I finally beat it, it was one of the giant guys. Turns out reflect phys was kiling me

Ended up being the wrong dude :( I'll put Ann in my party I guess

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Remember you can switch characters in the menu anywhere, not just safe rooms. Clear a dungeon and then switch right before the miniboss if you have to, to get weakness coverage. If you have the star link, you can also switch in battle.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

jimmydalad posted:

I believe you need to Electric Chair Baal for Haru's super gun

Thanks. I thought everyone's ultimate weapon would have absurd stat bonuses but I guess that's just Makoto? I am on the last day so I can only use the chair one more time. I could make Haru's gun, but Makoto's bracers also have a bonus to crit...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Overbite posted:

I finally beat it, it was one of the giant guys. Turns out reflect phys was kiling me

Ended up being the wrong dude :( I'll put Ann in my party I guess

The big green fat looking one? Those ones are weak to Curse, so use Eiga/etc. to rip through 'em in no time.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

70 hours into this game I discovered that the 'make thief tools' menu where you make lockpicks and stealthanols (as if you would ever) has multiple tabs and there are a whole bunch of different thief tools.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the lil minon robots are also weak to wind so an ann/morgana party can ruin everyone by just baton passing back and forth

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

bewilderment posted:

70 hours into this game I discovered that the 'make thief tools' menu where you make lockpicks and stealthanols (as if you would ever) has multiple tabs and there are a whole bunch of different thief tools.

WHAT

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The elemental bomb items were a great help for me trying to stretch my SP across entire palaces because I never actually noticed or bought the SP recovery accessories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Count Bleck posted:

I mean you can snap the game in half with the Reaper, so.

Yeah I used it to Reaper farm right at the end so I could fuse whatever I wanted without paying gobs of gold. In general Mementos felt very skippable though. Toward the end I'd just go up and down stairs till Futaba got the map so I could skip the floor and decend.