Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/devastatorpress/wet-hot-american-summer-fantasy-camp-roleplaying-g

There's a Wet Hot American Summer RPG so that's a thing I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

What movie is this?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Covok posted:

What movie is this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_Hot_American_Summer
It's on Netflix, definitely check it out. It's worth seeing the documentary and prequel Netflix series as well.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Apparently Jasco Games made an error when shipping out Megaman Pixel Tactics and sent out packages with the wrong name on them.

quote:

We at Jasco Games have recently been made aware by our shipping department of an internal issue with our shipping program being used to manage shipping to all backers of Mega Man Pixel Tactics.

You may receive a package from Jasco Games with a different recipient name. While this is so, our shipping department has done a very good job of processing the orders by pledge tier and add-ons.

If you receive a package from Jasco Games that has your address but a different recipient name please be aware that this is indeed your Mega Man Pixel Tactics items. Please do not have the package discarded or returned to sender.

If you have any questions or issues please contact mike@jascogames.com

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Go RV! posted:

There's a Wet Hot American Summer RPG so that's a thing I guess?

How the gently caress did this get made before a Lumberjanes RPG?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

GrandpaPants posted:

How the gently caress did this get made before a Lumberjanes RPG?

Money talks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Apparently Jasco Games made an error when shipping out Megaman Pixel Tactics and sent out packages with the wrong name on them.

Sounds like they had Name and Address in separate columns and managed to get them offset. Not the worst problem, except for people who have things delivered to mailrooms or whatever instead of personal mailboxes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The White Box: A Game Design Workshop-in-a-Box

quote:

The White Box Essays, a 128-page perfect bound book about how to make games
Two punchboard sheets of custom counters and markers, some blank, others pre-printed with numbers, actions, elements, icons, and more
100 standard wooden cubes (25 each of red, green, yellow, and blue, 8 mm each)
24 standard wooden meeples (6 each of red, green, yellow, and blue, 12 mm each)
4 giant wooden cubes (1 each of red, green, yellow, and blue, 25 mm each)
40 plastic discs (10 each of red, green, yellow, and blue, 12 x 3 mm each)
50 plastic discs (25 each of gold and silver, 12 x 3 mm each)
8 standard six-sided dice (2 each of red, green, yellow, and blue, 16 mm each)
I guess $20 is a good price for a bunch of generic components?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Didn't someone do a blank component box kickstarter before?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The White Box: A Game Design Workshop-in-a-Box

I guess $20 is a good price for a bunch of generic components?
$30+$8 shipping in US, actually.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Baron Snow posted:

Didn't someone do a blank component box kickstarter before?

If I remember that project right, they were advertising it as some kind of "Emperor's New Clothes" gimmick and you had to be pure of heart to see the actual game.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Thanks! I couldn't remember what it was themed off of, I kept thinking Pandora's box.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/emperors-new-clothes

VVV That's great, I didn't follow it after the campaign, but I should have figured there would be fulfillment issues.

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 19, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

$30+$8 shipping in US, actually.
Oh, my bad. I misread.

jivjov posted:

If I remember that project right, they were advertising it as some kind of "Emperor's New Clothes" gimmick and you had to be pure of heart to see the actual game.
That was just a box of blank cards, and somehow they still managed to have fulfillment issues.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Rise to Nobility is really tempting me. What are some other dice placement games that currently exist that I should look at instead (besides Kingsburg)? :ohdear:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Rise to Nobility is really tempting me. What are some other dice placement games that currently exist that I should look at instead (besides Kingsburg)? :ohdear:

Blueprints?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Alien Frontiers

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Troyes is the best one.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
voyages of marco polo is current champion of dice placement.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Impermanent posted:

voyages of marco polo is current champion of dice placement.

Good news, the Voyages of Marco Polo will be reprinting this year.
Bad news, it's still a Z-Man print run, which have a habit of being so small they run out within 24 hours of appearing in most major online board game stores.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, what would be the total pledge if you wanted to get a copy of Gloomhaven and the solo scenarios from the kickstarter? Is it $109 or more than that to get everything?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, what would be the total pledge if you wanted to get a copy of Gloomhaven and the solo scenarios from the kickstarter? Is it $109 or more than that to get everything?

$99 for the box, $10 for the scenarios looks right to me. By all means though, ask Isaac. He's active in the comments.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Euphoria? I only played it once but remember enjoying it. Also all the ones mentioned above.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Morels is getting an expansion: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1058482509/morels-foray-the-morels-expansion

It is a pretty good 2p game, although I don't play it often because I have a glut of 2p games that I would play over it. But I have heard it is a good game to play with nongamers.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
This cyberpunk RPG, Axon Punk: Overdrive, seems to be getting some positive press. It seems to be attempting to add hip-hop and rap culture to the classic cyberpunk formula. I don't know what I think about it, but the Quick Start on Drivethrurpg has recommended rap artists to go with each class, which is a wonderful bit of characterization. It could be an interesting take on the genre that gives a new spin on it, or it could be another generic cyberpunk game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hiro Protagonist posted:

This cyberpunk RPG, Axon Punk: Overdrive, seems to be getting some positive press. It seems to be attempting to add hip-hop and rap culture to the classic cyberpunk formula. I don't know what I think about it, but the Quick Start on Drivethrurpg has recommended rap artists to go with each class, which is a wonderful bit of characterization. It could be an interesting take on the genre that gives a new spin on it, or it could be another generic cyberpunk game.

This collection be really interesting, but 15 for the PDF is a little too much for people I have never heard of. I am not afraid to toss 5 or even 10 at a novel idea.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This collection be really interesting, but 15 for the PDF is a little too much for people I have never heard of. I am not afraid to toss 5 or even 10 at a novel idea.

I think $15 is perfectly reasonable for a PDF ruleset, being as the designers have to pay writers, artists, and editors (hopefully.) Most people don't work for free.

Of course, whether or not this PDF ruleset is worth $15 is a perfect valid question.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I got my hardback copy of Tales From the Loop today. It is a gorgeous book, and Stalenhag's art is probably worth the purchase price. I haven't gotten done reading it yet, but I like the way its laid out, everything is presented in a very clean and concise manner. The system is a very simple dice pool affair, and half the book is given over to setting information and a few pre-written adventures.

It has a great Problem for the Weirdo class, which is "My dad is a communist"

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent

Merauder posted:

Euphoria? I only played it once but remember enjoying it. Also all the ones mentioned above.

Seconding this - even without the fancy kickstarter upgrade pieces, it's a really well made game, lots of fun.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

alchahest posted:

Seconding this - even without the fancy kickstarter upgrade pieces, it's a really well made game, lots of fun.

The upgraded pieces are really fancy though. Like exorbitantly so.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think $15 is perfectly reasonable for a PDF ruleset, being as the designers have to pay writers, artists, and editors (hopefully.) Most people don't work for free.

Of course, whether or not this PDF ruleset is worth $15 is a perfect valid question.

Oh, $15 dollars for a PDF is absolutely acceptable. I am certainly willing to pay 20-30 dollars for a PDF from a company I really like or a game I really think is interesting. Dropping 20 on Blades in the Dark was a no brainer, and I pretty much buy most Onyx Path books on release.

I am just not as free with my money for stuff like this. I don't mind pitching in 5 bucks on a project that sounds cool that I may or may not ever see on the chance. At 15 I can get so many books I know I would like that I haven't gotten around to purchasing that it becomes hard to justify.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Morels is getting an expansion: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1058482509/morels-foray-the-morels-expansion

It is a pretty good 2p game, although I don't play it often because I have a glut of 2p games that I would play over it. But I have heard it is a good game to play with nongamers.

Then you'll want the expansion, because it raises the count to four players.

Re: dice placement games - Praetor is pretty good, if you can find it.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pandesmos/the-swordfish-islands-hot-springs-island-an-rpg-he looks interesting. I've never really looked at a hex crawler before.

It's a little sad, but I find it super exciting that they are actually looking to hire a proper editor. Not super wild on the stretch goals of upgraded materials, but if they are working with a local printshop maybe it will be ok?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

This is sort of random news:

Chris Boelinger posted:

Hello,
Just passing by... As a matter of fact we don't know yet if we will do first a kickstarter about Targane Adventure or for Earth Reborn.
If it is for Earth Reborn it would actually be not only an expansion, but also a stand-alone. Meaning for those who already have the base game it is fully an expansion. And for those who have nothing, they can play with it.
Meaning the expansion/stand alone will contain 2 new factions, new rooms, objects, cards, order tiles, dice (so you'll have plenty with two boxes and some new game mechanics matching the new factions.
All the main rules and rules already in the first box will remain the same to ensure total compatibility.

Guess what is back on my working and playing table ?

That's right Earth Reborn

Don't ask for a release date or a kickstarter date, cause I strictly have no idea... But one thing is for sure, I also love this game and it will come back with reinforcements one day or another and probably with a lot more stuff than you are thinking or dreaming about

I was kind of hoping for Dungeon Twister complete (and a box that can hold all the stuff), but I'll take more Boelinger.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In other news, the Dark Souls board game is getting panned. Tom Vassel gave it a bad review (I haven't watched it yet myself) and people on BGG are getting pissy already.

Also lol:

quote:

Pro reviewers should:
- Play a game at least 20 times before reviewing

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

In other news, the Dark Souls board game is getting panned. Tom Vassel gave it a bad review (I haven't watched it yet myself) and people on BGG are getting pissy already.

Also lol:

I mean, I think this was a doomed thing from the start. Dark Souls is a good, hard video game that is pretty well-designed. But it suffers from two things: 1) it isn't as good as everyone says it is as some of it is inflated by hype and the reality that it was a breathe of fresh air that can and has gone a bit stale and 2) hard and difficult is time-consuming as gently caress and anyone with a 40+ hour/week job are gonna be hard pressed finding time to play it.

These two things are working against it sequels in video games and kind of kills its chance in board games.

I can't find anyone to play a board game IRL without going to a store. Even then, we're talking maybe 1hr session per board game max (unless you're sitting in for a war game). No one has got that kind of time.

Hard and diffcult video games in a market of handholding was fun, but means nothing to board games. The levels, world, bosses, and enemies were welldesigned, but that is something that doesn't translate inherently to a board game. Dark Souls without its tight design and its novetly is boring as a video game already (see Lords of the Fallen) and I can't imagine it fairing better being moved to a board game.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I do like the idea of a card based AI fight against tough enemies. But between Dark Souls and Kingdom Death this isn't done much.

Kingdom Death has the hunt phase that is designed to suck your resources through rolling one random result after another with no real player input before getting into the fight.
Dark Souls has a seemingly grindy system before you are even strong enough to attempt to fight the bosses.

Let's gate the cool part of our systems with bullshit! This is a good idea.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also lol:
Well, to be fair, I only know of 4 reviews so far and it's split between them:

Positive:
Eurogamer
Man vs. Meeple

Negative:
Polygon
Dice Tower (Tom Vasel)

So it's a bit of a toss-up until real people get the game, I guess...? I dunno, the Dice Tower review seemed like Tom just had no idea as to the appeal of Dark Souls (the video game). I mean, he though it might be a "shooter" game in the first minute of the review.

I'm also thinking there may be a large BGG fan-mod community that creates the "perfect" grind-free variant or boss-rush modes.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 22, 2017

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I was going to be backing Gloomhaven in the next few days then my friend came over today and out of the blue said he backed it yesterday. I cant wait until August.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Some locals were playtesters on the Dark Souls BG, and everything they told me about how it works sounded not just bad, but completely contradictory to the playstyle of the series. Womp womp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

To me, all the things that make Dark Souls good are the same things that would make a board game of it bad.