Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Check out the freep dollar I received in change:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Eh, witnesses are a cult. Fuckem. I got personal issues with witnesses, or more specifically the group of them my grandmother joined. She became a real mean person after that, so I'm pretty firmly anti-witness.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons are two of the Christian denominations that practically every Protestant deems to be a non-Christian cult (Catholicism is only considered a cult by the hardcore fundies). I can't imagine any Freepers being upset about Russia banning it, I figured they'd be completely united in saying it's good.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Captain Monkey posted:

That's literally the only way to be fiscally conservative, though? Like, every single piece of data points to it being horseshit.

The thing about being 'fiscally conservative' is that is a meaningless term. Nobody is going to call their spending excessive. Every person who proposes a budget, if we pretend politicians aren't horrible pieces of poo poo, thinks it is spent on what is needed. So some rear end in a top hat will say they are a fiscal conservative while raising military funding several times, because he thinks/pretends it needs to be.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 22, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons are two of the Christian denominations that practically every Protestant deems to be a non-Christian cult (Catholicism is only considered a cult by the hardcore fundies). I can't imagine any Freepers being upset about Russia banning it, I figured they'd be completely united in saying it's good.

Theologically speaking, most Christians (Protestants of all but the most fundie stripes, Catholics, and Orthodox) don't consider Mormons to be Christians because Mormonism takes some very significant theological departures from the Bible and changes things even your typical Southern Baptist and Orthodox monk would be in complete agreement on as key and fundamental parts of the Bible and of Christianity. Most Christians consider Mormonism a splinter religion, not a sect of Christianity. Jehovah's Witnesses are in more of a grey area, theologically, sitting in company with groups like Seventh Day Adventists.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Everyone who isn't a papist is a heretic and gently caress em

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Russia is banning the Jehovah's Witnesses as a "cult"; most Freepers are opposed to the religious infringement, but not all:

Yeah, gently caress those guys talking about Jesus helping the poor and poo poo

Pontius Pilate posted:

Check out the freep dollar I received in change:

lol that this gently caress has a stamp.

I see stuff like this as cowardly, myself. You just stamped some poo poo opinions on some money so you could go spread it around with no consequences to yourself

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 22, 2017

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

SocketWrench posted:

I see stuff like this as cowardly, myself. You just stamped some poo poo opinions on some money so you could go spread it around with no consequences to yourself

It's the same thing as writing "get a real job" on a receipt as a "tip" for a server.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's the same thing as writing "get a real job" on a receipt as a "tip" for a server.

At least you can spend the dollar.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SocketWrench posted:

Jehovah's Witnesses are the ones who completely forbid blood transfusions, right? Maybe not the best people to defend.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SirSamVimes posted:

Jehovah's Witnesses are the ones who completely forbid blood transfusions, right? Maybe not the best people to defend.

They're entitled to their own bodily autonomy, regardless of their beliefs.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Keeshhound posted:

They're entitled to their own bodily autonomy, regardless of their beliefs.

did you know that they will let their children die because of that belief

it happened to my cousin

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
Banning religions is dumb and counterproductive (especially Christian denominations that use perceived persecution to validate their belief systems) but JWs are also bad and an actual literal cult so :shrug:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

But they're so polite :(

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ban all religions imo

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Crazycryodude posted:

Ban all religions imo

Religions are super important to keep authoritarians in line though. Some study on falling church attendance found those with right wing beliefs that stopped going to church tended to focus their energy on politics instead. Yeesh.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

SirSamVimes posted:

No, I'm pretty sure the reason freepers hate them is because they focus on the charity and goodwill aspect of Jesus while freepers are "gently caress everyone, got mine"
Not a freeper per se, but go watch Nye tour the Ark exibit with Ken "I'm a douchebag" Ham. Ham keeps asking Nye if we're all just gone when we die, why worry about anything since you won't exist in any way. That's the same way freepers think. They don't give a drat about anyone but themselves

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

SocketWrench posted:

Don't they also talk about how political protest is wrong because only God can fix things?

stan worship
Oct 23, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Don't they also talk about how political protest is wrong because only God can fix things?

Also, family members who become apostates are treated as unpersons.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
One of my direct supervisors is JW and extremely great at not being a scumbag middle manager, though she once admitted in frustration that while she has to stay out of politics because of her faith she is appalled by how embarrassing DJT is, and this was after he'd only been president a couple weeks

I always saw JW as a less-isolated version of Amish but with similar strict rules and non-interventionism :shrug:

I mean there's no way they can be worse than those baptist megachurches that pray for DJT to kill all the illegals or whatever (see: the thread we're posting in, right now)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Kirk posted:

did you know that they will let their children die because of that belief

it happened to my cousin

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

stan worship posted:

Also, family members who become apostates are treated as unpersons.

I realize that this might be a tricky position for some people to engage with, but people are perfectly capable of being negligent parents, politically disengaged or bad family members without religion being involved at all. Banning a religion isn't going to meaningfully impact any of those behaviors. I mean, do you really think that the people who refuse lifesaving treatments for religious reasons are going to say "Oh, well the Russian government doesn't recognize the legitimacy of my beliefs, I guess I'm an athiest now."

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 22, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

No I didn't intend to assert any of that by saying a thing a people believe that I think is dumb.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

No I didn't intend to assert any of that by saying a thing a people believe that I think is dumb.

Sorry for misinterpreting you then.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

They usually refuse to participate in politics and the military in general, if that's what you mean. Because then you would be putting man above god or whatever.

Those refusals are part of why the Nazis dumped them into camps along with the Jews, the Roma, etc.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Wolfsheim posted:

she has to stay out of politics because of her faith

And this is why the Jehova's Witness are my favorite group of fundies, regardless of how cultish they can get. Jehova's Witness don't vote. It's not a hard rule, but they tend to stick to it, so no matter how weird they get, they don't try to force it on everyone else.

Which is good because they would largely vote lockstep (R) because of gays and abortion. They can knock on my door every drat week if they want, so long as they stay home on voting day.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Theologically speaking, most Christians (Protestants of all but the most fundie stripes, Catholics, and Orthodox) don't consider Mormons to be Christians because Mormonism takes some very significant theological departures from the Bible and changes things even your typical Southern Baptist and Orthodox monk would be in complete agreement on as key and fundamental parts of the Bible and of Christianity. Most Christians consider Mormonism a splinter religion, not a sect of Christianity. Jehovah's Witnesses are in more of a grey area, theologically, sitting in company with groups like Seventh Day Adventists.

That's only because those same Protestants don't actually know JW's theology, when they do most throw them out with the Mormons. Mormons are just a bit more recognized by their differences, where Witnesses try and hold it back until they thing they got the conversion. Specifically, the teaching that Jesus is not God but that he is the archangel Michael sent from God. I realize to non-believers that might be just a silly side note but in the theological battles, that poo poo's a whole huge thing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Anubis posted:

That's only because those same Protestants don't actually know JW's theology, when they do most throw them out with the Mormons. Mormons are just a bit more recognized by their differences, where Witnesses try and hold it back until they thing they got the conversion. Specifically, the teaching that Jesus is not God but that he is the archangel Michael sent from God. I realize to non-believers that might be just a silly side note but in the theological battles, that poo poo's a whole huge thing.

Wait, which archangel was it that taught/walked with Mohammad again? Was it Gabriel or Micheal because I always get them confused.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wait, which archangel was it that taught/walked with Mohammad again? Was it Gabriel or Micheal because I always get them confused.

I'm pretty sure said archangel's Gabriel.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Anubis posted:

Huh, I genuinely didn't know that. Yeah, that puts JWs emphatically in the "Don't put them in the same basket as Protestants/Catholics/Orthodox" bin.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
JWs also believe Jesus was impaled on a post rather than hung on a cross, which is kind of an odd difference and ultimately wouldn't change anything theologically, but yeah.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
The religion of :justpost: ?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

JWs also believe Jesus was impaled on a post rather than hung on a cross, which is kind of an odd difference and ultimately wouldn't change anything theologically, but yeah.

If it was longitudinal impalement, I imagine there's less depiction of it. A spike through the rear end and out the mouth is not a good look, son of God or not.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
JWs were just really bad at translation when they first made their own bible. The texts people translate from were written in greek, and greek at the time didn't have a word that specifically meant crucifix, just a word for pole, which they used for both. The JWs decided to go with the strictly literal translation, and then act like they discovered a forgotten truth about the bible. This is a recurring trend with the jehova's witness.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Bad translation is a trend with the bible

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pavlov posted:

JWs were just really bad at translation when they first made their own bible. The texts people translate from were written in greek, and greek at the time didn't have a word that specifically meant crucifix, just a word for pole, which they used for both. The JWs decided to go with the strictly literal translation, and then act like they discovered a forgotten truth about the bible. This is a recurring trend with the jehova's witness.

That's a recurring trend among Christianity in general. It's like seven languages removed from its original version. It has a bajillion different versions so people just pick the one they like then mangle it into whatever they need it to be.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah the eye of the needle was just a gate the rich man had to unload his camel to pass through.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Witnesses are extra bad though. Like even their name "Jehova" was the result of bad translation. They didn't realize that the jews forgot how to pronounce their god's name, and they found a torah with modern vowel diacritics in it, including the word for god's name, which had its markers just chosen randomly. They then decided that they had rediscovered the true name of god, and like to brag about putting god's name back in the bible.

I know too much about the jehova's witness.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Except it starts with an i not a j.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

lol

quote:

To: Innovative
"Get Legal"
========
(to the tune of 'Get Lucky' by Daft Punk)

From the Rio Grande to Phoenix
This will end with all us winning
While the planet keeps on spinning
We'll go back to our beginnings...

[Trump voice]

Mikrofon We've come too far to give up who we are,
So let's raise the bar, build a Wall to the stars!

We'll keep bad Mexicans out
We want our immigrants legal!

- - - -

The President's not ribbin'
His gift just keeps on giving...
He says what we've been thinking:
"Illegals, out" - I'm with it!

We've come too far to give up who we are,
So let's raise the bar, build a Wall to the stars!

(Deport bad Mexicans)
(Deport bad Mexicans)
(Deport bad Mexicans)
(Deport bad Mexicans)

~~~~~~~~~~~
20 posted on 4/23/2017, 4:26:28 PM by mikrofon (Weekend BUMP)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Twelve by Pies posted:

There's a few bits of scripture that say that Jesus was "nailed to a tree" and even though this is probably just an approximation due to translation (i.e. tree=something made of wood) it still feels like a leakage from an alternate timeline or something. Maybe from Mary Gentle's Ash: A Secret History where Jesus died hung from a tree somewhere in Germania.