Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It reallt isn't bad. Honestly it was probably my favorite palace overall.

Just make sure you have Wind/Nuclear/Psi skills on your party in some capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

ah gently caress im gonna be doing palace 5 on hard in one go. :suicide: well at least I'll have Shinya's poo poo by then...right?!

It's not that rough to do in one go. 7's the worst at that. It just has the least fun gimmicks.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
palace 7 felt really simple to do in one go because by that point there's no real excuse to not have tons and tons of ways to regen SP

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

YoshiOfYellow posted:

How do so many people not notice really obvious menu tabs? :psyduck:

I got too focused on making lockpicks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Electric Phantasm posted:

I got too focused on making lockpicks.

Yeah, the first time I noticed the tabs was when I needed to get more proficiency and I had like 10 lockpicks already

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

darealkooky posted:

palace 7 felt really simple to do in one go because by that point there's no real excuse to not have tons and tons of ways to regen SP

It drags on for goddamn ever though. And the mouse puzzles were really, really annoying. It wasn't so much the SP fatigue as it was my mental fatigue at having to deal with this poo poo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

darealkooky posted:

It's your stamina as player that's more of a problem the gimmick goes for so long and you have to deal with it four times, although I just save and come back later when I get exhausted by it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The airlock section of palace 5 was honestly a relief (and not really that hard), since the enemies were also much fewer and other than Scathach (who can be mostly handled with Hell Biker), not really that hard. Just bring Haru and Makoto.

ChaosArgate posted:

The recasts weren't random; Chie's old VA stopped voice acting entirely after P4 and Teddie's old VA got too expensive for Atlus, just like how Troy Baker's too expensive to be Kanji these days.

Honestly Mercer's done a lot better than Baker since he came in to replace Kanji. He's been characters like McCree and Chrom, while the only thing Baker's done off the top of my head since P4 is... Snow?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly Mercer's done a lot better than Baker since he came in to replace Kanji. He's been characters like McCree and Chrom, while the only thing Baker's done off the top of my head since P4 is... Snow?
uhhh, troy baker's been the main character of like a dozen triple a western video games, aka the thing that actually kind of pays.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ApplesandOranges posted:

The airlock section of palace 5 was honestly a relief (and not really that hard), since the enemies were also much fewer and other than Scathach (who can be mostly handled with Hell Biker), not really that hard. Just bring Haru and Makoto.

If this isn't a joke, I'm going to say that Persona is great but Metal Gear Solid, BioShock Infinite, Far Cry 4, and The Last of Us were all played by exponentially more people

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

He was Joel in The Last of Us, I think he was The Joker in one of the Arkham games and he was also Revolver Ocelot in MGSV.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the main character of shadow of mordor

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
See as someone who's mostly stuck to the JRPG genre I haven't really touched most of those. :v: But good to know.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I'm just at exams in between palace 3 and 4 and my only assumption right now is that Goro is going to join and then betray us as his social link doesn't seem the same as everyone else, though he has baton pass. Also he's not in any of the official art as a party member. :colbert:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Baker has had over 100 roles in video games since the first time he played Snow

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mordiceius posted:

So I'm just at exams in between palace 3 and 4 and my only assumption right now is that Goro is going to join and then betray us as his social link doesn't seem the same as everyone else, though he has baton pass. Also he's not in any of the official art as a party member. :colbert:

aside from like, the cover of the game you mean?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
A lot of the complaints about some of the writing makes sense, but I saw one that just boggles my mind, and it's about when the group tries to "cure" Futaba, as if she doesn't need help with not being a shut-in, or never asked for their help in the first place, or as if the group wants her to stop acting weird in general, which they don't. They just want to help her be able to not have a panic attack when she's outside and around people, and the sequence with that was really well done to me. Everyone was really nice and understanding and tried to meet her at her level and let her have agency about the whole thing, but still pushed her just enough outside her comfort zone a little at a time so she could get her feet wet. Her entire link is about her taking initiative about it with her promise list. Even the bit with Ryuji and Ann, two of the most extroverted characters on the team, coming over to visit was nice and a pleasant surprise from how that kind of dynamic would usually go.

I don't understand why you could look at her character arc, look at how much happier she is towards the end, look at how Japan has a large enough problem with young shut-ins that they come up with a special term for it, look at the themes of the story and how Futaba identified with the people in the Prison of Regression but realizes that's no real way to live, hint hint it's almost as if that's one of the major themes of the game or something and say "Oh how awful that they force her to recover uwu poor baby" like, just how much did you miss the point of all that, exactly?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Just beat the game, fat end of game spoilers

Even after fighting Yaldabaoth with all of its weapons and poo poo, I was anticipating another form or something. Fight felt pretty chill compared to Shido, which had me seriously sweating my SP by the end. Then again, I didn't switch dudes out mid-fight against Shido, and I did against Yalda. Sorry, Makoto, but you're empty--time to go.

The lack of Akechi in the whooole ending was almost weird. I expected, like, his ghost or something to show up during any of the WE BELIEVE IN YOU magic moments, or for him to be like, on a motorcycle behind us after the credits. Never found his body, you cannot convince me he's dead. Maybe he'll show up in the go-kart spin off or something.

Game was good, I'm now wondering how many future assistants Igor is raising behind the scenes. Old man just comes home to a pile of yellow-eyed babies, his silver haired wife being like "Daddy's home!" and he hugs all his kids in the velvet nursery.

Also, I picked Kawakami and did not regret the decision. The doctor and Makoto were close seconds, though, and Haru of all people kind of snuck onto my radar. She's sweet. And a beast. Her and Makoto pretty much carried my team through a lot of poo poo. Got Haru way too late in the game, though.

When am I getting Catherine 2? One of your friends mentions going fishing for mermaids at the end of the game, you can't just dangle a plot hook like that in front of me and never do anything with it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BaDandy posted:

A lot of the complaints about some of the writing makes sense, but I saw one that just boggles my mind, and it's about when the group tries to "cure" Futaba, as if she doesn't need help with not being a shut-in, or never asked for their help in the first place, or as if the group wants her to stop acting weird in general, which they don't. They just want to help her be able to not have a panic attack when she's outside and around people, and the sequence with that was really well done to me. Everyone was really nice and understanding and tried to meet her at her level and let her have agency about the whole thing, but still pushed her just enough outside her comfort zone a little at a time so she could get her feet wet. Her entire link is about her taking initiative about it with her promise list. Even the bit with Ryuji and Ann, two of the most extroverted characters on the team, coming over to visit was nice and a pleasant surprise from how that kind of dynamic would usually go.

I don't understand why you could look at her character arc, look at how much happier she is towards the end, look at how Japan has a large enough problem with young shut-ins that they come up with a special term for it, look at the themes of the story and how Futaba identified with the people in the Prison of Regression but realizes that's no real way to live, hint hint it's almost as if that's one of the major themes of the game or something and say "Oh how awful that they force her to recover uwu poor baby" like, just how much did you miss the point of all that, exactly?
because being gently helped out of being a shut-in is exactly like when their mom tells them to do the dishes

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BaDandy posted:

Has there really been that many complaining about that? Like i'm not surprised that they exist but i honestly haven't seen any complaints about this at least.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Just beat the game, fat end of game spoilers

Even after fighting Yaldabaoth with all of its weapons and poo poo, I was anticipating another form or something. Fight felt pretty chill compared to Shido, which had me seriously sweating my SP by the end. Then again, I didn't switch dudes out mid-fight against Shido, and I did against Yalda. Sorry, Makoto, but you're empty--time to go.

The lack of Akechi in the whooole ending was almost weird. I expected, like, his ghost or something to show up during any of the WE BELIEVE IN YOU magic moments, or for him to be like, on a motorcycle behind us after the credits. Never found his body, you cannot convince me he's dead. Maybe he'll show up in the go-kart spin off or something.

Game was good, I'm now wondering how many future assistants Igor is raising behind the scenes. Old man just comes home to a pile of yellow-eyed babies, his silver haired wife being like "Daddy's home!" and he hugs all his kids in the velvet nursery.

Also, I picked Kawakami and did not regret the decision. The doctor and Makoto were close seconds, though, and Haru of all people kind of snuck onto my radar. She's sweet. And a beast. Her and Makoto pretty much carried my team through a lot of poo poo. Got Haru way too late in the game, though.

When am I getting Catherine 2? One of your friends mentions going fishing for mermaids at the end of the game, you can't just dangle a plot hook like that in front of me and never do anything with it.

I've always assumed that, like the Velvet Room, the Attendant is created based on the Wild Card's perception of the place.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've always assumed that, like the Velvet Room, the Attendant is created based on the Wild Card's perception of the place.

The attendants aren't created by the guest.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Has there really been that many complaining about that? Like i'm not surprised that they exist but i honestly haven't seen any complaints about this at least.

Not a lot, but I saw someone on Tumblr mention it and it just stuck in my mind because

1) My brother-in-law was going through kind of the same thing a few years back (still sort of is) and I think that's why it's riling me up because it just strikes me as really ignorant by implying it's "not that bad" when it absolutely is.

2) There's a subsection of Tumblr that has this weird "anti-recovery" stance because if you're pro-recovery, you're anti-mentally ill people because??? I can understand if they don't like the group wanting Futaba to not act autistic (I'm not being flippant, I think her and Wakaba were written with that in mind) but that's not what the group does, at all. Makoto even makes a comment that Futaba's fine with conversations as long as they're things that interest her and not just generic small talk and she's like "Okay, fair enough," These types of storylines fall into "changing who a person is" a lot of the time but again, that's not what the group does.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a teenager on tumblr made a dumb hot take...

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I was worried about that too, at first - I was salty as hell about how long it takes for a woman who isn't a sexy Catwoman knockoff to join the party, and I thought "gently caress me, are they going to magically cure Futaba's Asperger's by stealing her Treasure? Maybe Makoto was a fluke and this game is actually bad." but it doesn't play out like that even a little bit, so I don't know what those people are on about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

I was salty as hell about how long it takes for a woman who isn't a sexy Catwoman knockoff to join the party, and I thought "gently caress me, are they going to magically cure Futaba's Asperger's by stealing her Treasure? Maybe Makoto was a fluke and this game is actually bad."

uh, lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BaDandy posted:

Not a lot, but I saw someone on Tumblr mention it and it just stuck in my mind because

1) My brother-in-law was going through kind of the same thing a few years back (still sort of is) and I think that's why it's riling me up because it just strikes me as really ignorant by implying it's "not that bad" when it absolutely is.

2) There's a subsection of Tumblr that has this weird "anti-recovery" stance because if you're pro-recovery, you're anti-mentally ill people because??? I can understand if they don't like the group wanting Futaba to not act autistic (I'm not being flippant, I think her and Wakaba were written with that in mind) but that's not what the group does, at all. Makoto even makes a comment that Futaba's fine with conversations as long as they're things that interest her and not just generic small talk and she's like "Okay, fair enough," These types of storylines fall into "changing who a person is" a lot of the time but again, that's not what the group does.

Guess I shouldn't be too surprised since i've seen complaints for similar things before, but that's a pretty dumb complaint.

FractalSandwich posted:

I was worried about that too, at first - I was salty as hell about how long it takes for a woman who isn't a sexy Catwoman knockoff to join the party, and I thought "gently caress me, are they going to magically cure Futaba's Asperger's by stealing her Treasure? Maybe Makoto was a fluke and this game is actually bad." but it doesn't play out like that even a little bit, so I don't know what those people are on about.

All the ladies in this game are good and cool.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Endorph posted:

a teenager on tumblr made a dumb hot take...

They're 25....

That probably makes it worse, come to think of it.

e: Anyways yeah, Futaba's arc was really well done and I liked it, so idk what they're on about. :colbert:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Igor makes the attendants, Yaldabaoth doesn't have that ability, so he split the most recent one in half and sealed their memories away.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Futaba's entire arc is probably one of my favorite parts of the game because not once does anyone treat her or her problems like annoyances or inconveniences. They push her a bit to help her a long but otherwise they go at her pace and nobody belittles her through the whole process. The whole thing was refreshingly respectful on the topic and it could easily have been written into "oh my god you're making stupid poo poo a big deal just get over it geeze" territory which would've been terrible.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Futaba's entire arc is probably one of my favorite parts of the game because not once does anyone treat her or her problems like annoyances or inconveniences. They push her a bit to help her a long but otherwise they go at her pace and nobody belittles her through the whole process. The whole thing was refreshingly respectful on the topic and it could easily have been written into "oh my god you're making stupid poo poo a big deal just get over it geeze" territory which would've been terrible.

They did that with Yusuke and not Futaba.

Mainly that he's a big weirdo and Ryuji will call him out on it all the time.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Another thing is that they outright say that having a Persona means that you're emotionally aware now and are capable of breaking out of your mental "prison", so gee, why wouldn't Futaba want to keep working at not being a shut-in anymore in this, the magic Carl Jung psychology game?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the worst futaba reaction I've seen is people saying that futaba would be pro gamergate and would stop the phantom thieves from bringing down gamergate if persona 5 was real

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

the worst futaba reaction I've seen is people saying that futaba would be pro gamergate and would stop the phantom thieves from bringing down gamergate if persona 5 was real
change anita sarkeesian's heart...

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Moltrey posted:

:chloe:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I know it's crazy, but my first impressions from watching a few streams of the Japanese version six months ago might not have been too accurate.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Count Bleck posted:

They did that with Yusuke and not Futaba.

Mainly that he's a big weirdo and Ryuji will call him out on it all the time.

To be fair Yusuke is weird and really annoying. By far my least member of the cast.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
do not actually click this guy's twitter account it is a nightmare but also i am dying

https://twitter.com/kukuruyo/status/855368484959768577
https://twitter.com/kukuruyo/status/855369185182048256

gamers are desperate for any character that uses the internet and is also as misogynistic and racist as they are

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yusuke messing with her action figures and Ann and Ryuji getting along with her by buying a bunch of snacks and talking smack to each other were very strong ways of showing everyone to be good and cool pals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

do not actually click this guy's twitter account it is a nightmare but also i am dying

https://twitter.com/kukuruyo/status/855368484959768577
https://twitter.com/kukuruyo/status/855369185182048256

gamers are desperate for any character that uses the internet and is also as misogynistic and racist as they are

Someone buy that man a forums account, Posthaste!