Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DC Murderverse posted:

I nearly had a panic attack watching that movie sober, I can't imagine watching it while imbibing anything.

why do people let their children watch that movie it's loving terrifying.

What's the matter, fella, Blue Meanies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

I was a little kid who loved being scared and I watched Brave Little Toaster and Watership Down enough that the tapes were worn out by the time I was six. And then I'd turn around and watch that 80's My Little Pony movie almost every day. As such, The Last Unicorn was extremely my thing.
I remember being more scandalized by the swear words than the, upon reflection, odd deal with monster tits in that film.

Last Unicorn is not a "great" film but it's very unusual for a kid's film, and I really really like it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Last Unicorn is a muddled mess but its better than most kids movies by a country mile if only for being unhappy, confusing, pointless, and yet somehow decently happy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I take it it's one of those "if you saw it as a kid" things. I've never met someone who first saw it as an adult and liked it.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Das Boo posted:

I take it it's one of those "if you saw it as a kid" things. I've never met someone who first saw it as an adult and liked it.
Have now.

Didn't see it till about two or three years ago and I dug it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Last Unicorn is a muddled mess but its better than most kids movies by a country mile if only for being unhappy, confusing, pointless, and yet somehow decently happy.

It somewhat reminds me of where the wild things are, in that I think it is very reflective of childhood, which is often a very frightening and confusing time. I respect the last unicorn for illustrating a lot of troubling emotions that other children's media, especially at the time, did not touch on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I couldn't ever stand the movie when I was younger. Thought it was terrible and I dislike the art style - too loosy goosy. Loved the book as a kid, though.

As an adult I thought Where the WIld THings movie was really good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think The Last Unicorn is muddled. It's got an unusual structure with all the little side stories that are introduced and quickly wrapped up but everything comes back to this interplay between reality and the ideal. Every mortal in the story is someone living a "lie" but the lie is ultimately more significant and meaningful than the reality. Mommy Fortuna knows what's going to happen to her for running the zoo but does it anyways because it's worth it to be the woman who caged an idea. Schmendrick's hesitation and unwillingness to commit the way she does limits his magic, and he overcomes this not just by learning self-confidence (which would be a reasonable but, I think, incomplete read on it) but by endorsing the sacred idea of love that the Unicorn represents (or more precisely, has come to represent, since unicorns at large know nothing about love.) Haggard's relationship with the Red Bull is similar, it's this manifestation of the tyranny and selfishness that has given him power but at the same time has driven everyone away from him.

So ultimately you get what would be a very conventional, sorta hippy-dippy moral: love defeats tyranny and sets the imagination and happiness of mankind free. But it's elevated by the way it recognizes that wicked, cruel ideas operate on the same level as good ones -- that they still give people purpose and meaning -- and also that love is sacrifice.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Das Boo posted:

I saw it as a child and loved it as a child and used to have vivid dreams (verging on nightmares) about the Red Bull so I can't dispute your literal claim about people who first saw it as an adult, but there are lots of movies I loved as a child that don't hold up half as well. I have a comparable amount of nostalgia for The Princess and the Goblin, for example, but it's not a good movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I watched it as an adult, went as King Haggard for Halloween that year.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You grew a beard and learned to speak like Christopher Lee?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's good to think my childhood nostalgia isn't completely making me bias! I agree with Pick that it's not great, but it's very much not a waste of time either! There's some gorgeous bits of art in there, particularly with the unicorn's forest. Gotta love that medieval (International Gothic?) stylization. Also an America song! :sparkles:
I did a bit of fanart for it last year because the opportunity presented itself.

It can't all be Bee Movie art, you guys. But most of it can.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
nice rear end

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
uhhhhhhh oops wrong thread lol

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

The Unholy Ghost posted:

uhhhhhhh oops wrong thread lol

great post/title combo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

You grew a beard and learned to speak like Christopher Lee?

I wore a beard and did my best christopher lee impression which is less "Christopher Lee" and more "Embarassingly Bad".

Thank god for wild and untamed alcohol at parties.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh God, the Angry Birds movie is on Netflix. I'm almost tempted.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

when the nephews were over i saw 2 minutes of it and it was pretty bad. the animation was competent but the jokes were "mediocre french show acquired by US kids network and aired at 2pm on a saturday" quality jokes

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
we all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

it's loving god awful

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you were a miserable kid, the last unicorn was one of the only films that seemed to knowledge your feelings.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cute game with adorable hand drawn animation out now on multiple consoles including Switch:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eYXzXBbFKOY

Just thought y'all should know :3:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hedrigall posted:

Cute game with adorable hand drawn animation out now on multiple consoles including Switch:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eYXzXBbFKOY

Just thought y'all should know :3:

Steam port in two months? Boo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So Angry Birds isn't bad so much as, uh, it felt like they didn't know how to convey the property in a film and took the laziest approach to it and there is no love in it, at all. Its the cinematic equivalent of someone telling you the legally mandated disclosures of your home loan.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pick posted:

If you were a miserable kid, the last unicorn was one of the only films that seemed to knowledge your feelings.

I didn't see it until a couple of years ago, but it made me feel like a kid again. And not in the way someone usually means when they say that. :smith:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That "I can feel this body dying all around me." line gains new relevance as you get older. :shepicide:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
How dare you come to me now, when I am this

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Looking at Boss Baby concept art (yes)...

https://twitter.com/turnislefthome/status/852158418974584832

Is it technically impossible to get 3D cg animation to look more like this, or is the belief in the industry that this is not commercially viable?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fangz posted:

Is it technically impossible to get 3D cg animation to look more like this, or is the belief in the industry that this is not commercially viable?

Feast and Paperman kinda have a similar aesthetic. They're short films though. I hope one day to see a feature length CG animated film take on the Feast/Paperman visual style.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fangz posted:

you can get CG to look exactly like that, but modern Pixar/Dreamworks/Disney style simplified rendering is cheap and commonly accepted and you don't have to worry about it being jarring when your computer filter fails to quite look like real paint

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 22, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm watching my new bluray of Robin Hood :) Gosh the pencil lines are so crisp in this restoration!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
This is a neat unholy abomination of science and art.

Stop motion with CGI actor eyes pasted in.
http://i.imgur.com/N6eHZuF.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGyLP6R4HTE
I enjoy the art style, but the puppetry runs from good to poor at times. It's very detailed, though. Good fun.

It's actually a pretty neat little story. 17 mins. A thriller on a train. I give it a C+, for not having Steven Seagal in it as a chef.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Disney's Robin Hood: Walk Cycles in Profile: The Movie

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What's everybody's dream cel? What's the cel that's out there you dream of owning? Anybody? (Assuming you can't resell it for cash money)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

What's everybody's dream cel? What's the cel that's out there you dream of owning? Anybody? (Assuming you can't resell it for cash money)

Adult Simba during Hakuna Matata (maybe when swinging by rope into the lake)

e: or when Matthew Broderick sings "It means no worries for the rest of your days"

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 22, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

Adult Simba during Hakuna Matata (maybe when swinging by rope into the lake)

e: or when Matthew Broderick sings "It means no worries for the rest of your days"

:colbert: not a cel. Post-digital coloring.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

:colbert: not a cel. Post-digital coloring.

Oh ok :\

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Either one of the cells of the Unicorn fleeing the Red Bull in The Last Unicorn, or something from the dew/spring fairies from Fantasia

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

It's a hypothetical question but existing cels. Robin Hood would count for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'd actually want one of the Great Prince from Bambi. Which is weird because Bambi isn't in my top 10 favorite films? I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o_pDT4tQiI&t=141s

Pick fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 22, 2017