Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
If it's just a question of dependency (i.e., my mod references something defined in another) then load order doesn't matter. The game is fairly robust at putting that kind of thing together (and it generally just ignores anything that it doesn't find defined anywhere so lacking the dependency won't crash the game or anything, unless you have actual file dependencies). If your mod is supposed to override something from another (i.e., this mod adds a tech that makes ships twice as fast, mine changes that tech to make them three times as fast), then load order matters. It basically works in alphabetical order by name, if you can believe it. So mods that absolutely need to override any others that might make modifications to a file tend to put ! at the start of their names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
To override I make it alphabetically earlier?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah I think A takes priority over B, etc.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Are there any mods that add EU4-style macro builders and army (fleet) templates?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Does resettling slaves still require as much influence as resettling a "citizen" pop? That's been my biggest peeve with slavery. You conquer an empire, and then have planets full of slave pops. In order to "spread them around" so you can use them effectively, you have to spend hundreds of influence points.

Was this a conscious decision to make slavery more clunky,, or just an oversight?

Like, I'd love if I could find a way for the cute fox race my fascist distopia enslaved to be used effectively as domestic servent. Say in staffing unity monuments or something where their production doesn't matter.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

A Tartan Tory posted:

The worm is your friend, embrace the worm.

gravity is desire
time is sight

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

GotLag posted:

Making Rings Great Again:
Voidborne perk requirements dropped to level 3 spaceport, orbital defense stations instead of orbital fortresses
Circle of Life perk now requires only Voidborne, mega engineering is a price reduction tech
Galactic Wonders perk now requires only Mega Engineering

Also using the Utopia Expanded mod, with all megastructures adjusted to have half the cost, half the build time, and Dyson spheres have double the output.

This makes rings available earlier, and with Utopia Expanded's extra perks and techs, you can later upgrade your rings to have twice as many habitable segments, giving you 200 ideal habitability slots per system. Utopia Expanded also allows you to build level 6 factories/mines/farms on ring segments.

I'm hamstrung on releasing this for testing my Stellaris' awful modding system - is there a way to force a mod to depend on another, i.e. apply its modifications afterwards?

If it's just a dependency you can setup that up in the workshop. Not perfect, but at least it's clear and pops up a window for anyone before they download the mod.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Goddamn why are there so many loving fanatical purifiers?

Edit: also is it just me or did 1.5 break robots, in that if you research the upgrade, still-growing pops won't be upgraded on completion?

GotLag fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 22, 2017

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

winterwerefox posted:

The issue i have with your mod as it stands is getting those modifiers and events on dead worlds. Other than that, I really enjoy them. One set made some poor bronze age society have 0% happiness just from planet modifiers.

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

There's a few reason why they do show up on 'dead' worlds though. I understand from a game play perspective it can feel disappointing to see a cool modifier on a world you cannot colonize, but that shouldn't discourage you from further exploring.

Consider them appearing on dead worlds for a multitude of reasons; it increases the aspect of exploration as you find something cool and hope to find it on a world you can colonize. Dead planets aren't all dead I cant just for gameplay not spawn modifiers on dead planets. It would make no sense from a story perspective. Who knows that dead frozen moon wasn't a thriving colony a thousand years ago? In fact I think not spawning modifiers on dead worlds will make the entire mod feel disconnected with the overall feel of the game. Suddenly dead worlds are just game play objects instead of potential 'narrative' objects.

The way modifiers are rolled also heavily favours habitable worlds already. You should notice dead worlds have far less modifiers on them overall. If the world is not a dead world the modifiers have 2x as much chance to appear. With recent update I also changed the precursor spawn rates around a bit. 66% global reduction and a 50% increase for habitable worlds. Small nerf so they're less common but overall more common on worlds where you can use them. (Since they're now showing a discovery event as well).

They'll still appear on dead worlds but that's part of the exploration. Sometimes you find something really interesting and cool but inaccessible. Makes replayability also a huge deal imho.

I'll leave it at that as it's starting to feel rambley :p It's 7am and I'm on my first half of my first cup of coffee.

But yeah feel free to make suggestions or point out modifiers that make little sense on dead worlds and I'll fix those (after modifier #100 it's become really hard to keep track of everything) . :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there a console command to change your state ethos, or a way to mod the minimum support from 20% to 10% or something?
48% of my population are materialist, 18% xenophobic, and sub-10% everything else. Officially we're materialist, xenophobic, pacifist. I can embrace fanatic materialist but that gets rid of pacifist and what I really want to get rid of is xenophobe.

Also, xenophobe and egalitarian don't play well together. Xenophobe wants all sorts of controls and discrimination against non-humans and egalitarians, despite being in an official xenophobic state, are very fussy about any sort of species-based restrictions (some of which I'm forbidden from changing due to my state ethos). Does a different sort of egalitarian faction form when you're officially xenophobic-egalitarian?

Also I swear there's a xenophobe plot to keep my empire racist. I supported an egalitarian candidate since that was actually my 2nd most happy and supported ethos and she died like a month info office, I quickly supported the new faction leader and right before the vote he died suddenly as well but the election was nearly finished so no new candidates could enter and before I could click anything the leader of the xenophobes won the election. VERY suspicious.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 22, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

AriadneThread posted:

horizon signal is sticking with me way more then i'm comfortable with

It loves us.

It always has.

Seriously, go check out some of Alexis Kennedy's other stuff, he's amazing.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

TorakFade posted:

Oh so it turns out it's a real bad idea to declare war on a newly awakened FE. Who would've guessed? Having a "superior" fleet means they can field 160k fleet power to my 60k.

I fought hard and well but they crushed me in the end. Oh well I was bored anyway, time to restart :v:

For the record: A newly awakened empire gets a bunch of initial stuff when they wake up, in addition to actually being awake.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a console command to change your state ethos, or a way to mod the minimum support from 20% to 10% or something?
48% of my population are materialist, 18% xenophobic, and sub-10% everything else. Officially we're materialist, xenophobic, pacifist. I can embrace fanatic materialist but that gets rid of pacifist and what I really want to get rid of is xenophobe.

The minimum requirement to embrace is defined on a per-faction basis :downsgun:

Having said that, what helped factions not suck rear end for me was changing POP_ETHOS_DIVERGENCE_INTERVAL in defines from 360 to 90. Four chances per year instead of one means that pops sometimes actually do chance ethos, without it being too easy.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Bloodly posted:

For the record: A newly awakened empire gets a bunch of initial stuff when they wake up, in addition to actually being awake.

Yeah that would explain a lot. drat it! Should've accepted their offer to be their satellite, but they would've just grown out of control since I was the biggest galactic power and all their other neighbors were pathetic compared to me...

Oh well you die horribly and learn

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Yeah that would explain a lot. drat it! Should've accepted their offer to be their satellite, but they would've just grown out of control since I was the biggest galactic power and all their other neighbors were pathetic compared to me...

Oh well you die horribly and learn

Yeah they get really grumpy when you say no. They also get even more grumpy when you try to listen in on them and fail the attempt horribly.

Regarding fallen empires- has anyone ever had one that isn't awake, but chain declares war on you every time the truce is up? They're inferior to me and on the opposite side of the galaxy but it happens like clockwork. The civs in the way aren't particularly fond of me, so I can't send ships over to take care of them, but they send a 30k fleet over to my side of the galaxy every war. I end up doing a white peace and repeat the cycle again.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Xae posted:

Something seems bugged with Mega-Engineering.

I've got Battleships, Deep Space Engineering and Zero Point Power, but the tech won't even show up in the console tech weights.

I had the same problem, turns out it's a Tier 4 tech. You need to have researched 10 Tier 3 techs (the normal expensive ones, basically).

Same goes for Ascension Theory.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kinetica posted:

Yeah they get really grumpy when you say no. They also get even more grumpy when you try to listen in on them and fail the attempt horribly.

Regarding fallen empires- has anyone ever had one that isn't awake, but chain declares war on you every time the truce is up? They're inferior to me and on the opposite side of the galaxy but it happens like clockwork. The civs in the way aren't particularly fond of me, so I can't send ships over to take care of them, but they send a 30k fleet over to my side of the galaxy every war. I end up doing a white peace and repeat the cycle again.

Yes this has happened to me when I played a hard materialist empire that built synths and colonized the hell out of tomb worlds. The spiritualist FE was on a constant cycle of declaring war on me, getting owned, waiting, and declaring war again. It was around this time that I started wishing that the liberation war goal would join newly liberated systems to the previously liberated empire from the same enemy empire so that I don't get two or three near-identical tiny empires cluttering up the map. Their behavior was also annoying because my empire was basically on the warpath between two constantly feuding AEs. (They had a War in Heaven that somehow ended in a truce but kept getting into regular wars after that, which gave me my opening to declare independence from the xenophobe AE that I had decided discretion was the better part of valor with when they woke up right next to me. It was a great game that shows the full potential of the War in Heaven IMO and it makes me sad to hear that it's so lame for so many people.)

This happened to the same empire when it was an AI in a later game and was wedged between two spiritualist FEs.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Holy crap that habitat energy building :stare:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Woof, do not create a ringworld around your only planet - didn't kill my empire, but left me with only my ships and nothing else...

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Completed a game of Stellaris for the first time (completed a Paradox game for the first time) with a Federation victory:

I'm the Big Blue Blob in the lower right. My race was fox people but between a bunch of migration treaties and a few rounds of liberate-vassalise-integrate, I had roughly a dozen species in my sector by the end. Joined the federation formed by the Sovereignty and Commonwealth on the left, and got the League in the lighter red to join later on. Which was funny since we'd been at war a couple of times. Purple at the bottom were mostly cool with us but were getting eaten by the awakened xenophiles next door when the game ended. The dark green empire mostly kept to themselves, I barely intereracted with them.

There used to be a small xenophobe empire between the Commonwealth and Sovereignty, but they summoned the Unbidden and promptly got eaten. I saved the day myself in short order, though. I've been using the ship designs from this Reddit thread and, let me tell you, it absolutely melts the Unbidden. After a couple of false starts, emergency retreats and rebuilds, my single deathstack wiped out three fleets of equal or greater size one after another without going below half strength. Then I went and helped to polish off an FE on the far left.

Right after that the Xenophobe FE in the bright green started kicking off, struggled more against them. The Xenophiles were acting up too but didn't have time to do much. Our Federation struck against the Xenophobes while they were fighting the dark green empire and took a bunch of poorly developed worlds very quickly. I was working on eating up those turquoise parrot shits on the far right and getting ready to see off the Xenophiles when the game ended.

Agrarian Idyll is super strong. Also I went up the genetic ascension path and the gene soldier Space Marines you get are ridiculous. Highly recommended, though I suppose the cyborg armies and not-Jedi from the other paths would work well too.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What galaxy size is that, snofeld?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Soup du Journey posted:

What galaxy size is that, snofeld?

Standard size, 4 armed spiral, with a higher number of empires and fallen empires than default. All other settings on normal. Having more empires led to more interactions, which was a lot of fun.

Thyrork posted:

I'm just going to pretend thats the Holy Raptor League, as my first glance told me it was. :allears:

I'm afraid they were more like crabs.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 22, 2017

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Dr Snofeld posted:

Completed a game of Stellaris for the first time (completed a Paradox game for the first time) with a Federation victory:

I'm just going to pretend thats the Holy Raptor League, as my first glance told me it was. :allears:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dog Kisser posted:

Woof, do not create a ringworld around your only planet - didn't kill my empire, but left me with only my ships and nothing else...

That's what you get for committing ecocide :colbert:

Be a responsible ring owner, only build yours around lifeless stars.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Welp that game is done. Tried to liberate -> integrate some of my neighbors to bust out of the corner I was hemmed in, and they were xenophobes so they promptly told me to gently caress right off. Then part of a federation snuck in to a little gap between my territory and the previously mentioned xenophobes and dropped some colonies which caused a bunch of border tension so they closed their borders cutting my empire in half.

Then the declared on me, and I was doing alright until the far away parts of the federation made it in and just kicked the poo poo out of me. So now I've lost even more territory, am hemmed in even worse, and now have 0 chance of breaking out.

Playing as the pacifists is fun for the unity, but gently caress it makes trying to expand mid game extremely difficult. And I never had a militarist faction pop up to move away from pacifism.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Dog Kisser posted:

GotLag posted:

That's what you get for committing ecocide :colbert:

Be a responsible ring owner, only build yours around lifeless stars.

Alternatively, build colony ships beforehand so you can settle the thing properly.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
As an aside I love love LOVE the spacesuit parrot portrait. Their beady little eyes seethe with hate and they look like they're perpetually a second away from incomprehensible screeching. I like to use them as fanatic xenophobes because I imagine them just screaming "HAAAAAAAAAAATE" over the communicator.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dr Snofeld posted:

As an aside I love love LOVE the spacesuit parrot portrait. Their beady little eyes seethe with hate and they look like they're perpetually a second away from incomprehensible screeching. I like to use them as fanatic xenophobes because I imagine them just screaming "HAAAAAAAAAAATE" over the communicator.

I always give them Repugnant because I imagine they must be incredibly annoying.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Dr Snofeld posted:

One of the hail Columbia clothing mods replaces the space bubble with an old timey diving suit and its awful.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I bet they sound like this when they yell inside those helmets

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Repugnant should be split into two separate traits, one diplo malus, and one cohabitation malus.

I use this mod and want to properly implement how parrots are nice to look at and make great first impressions but then won't shut up and poo poo everywhere.

Nordick posted:

I bet they sound like this when they yell inside those helmets

There's never just one

Rainbow lorikeets: pretty, communal, annoying as gently caress

GotLag fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 22, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well yeah I mean imagine if that one yelling cockatoo was a hundred of them yelling at once. Or even just like a dozen or so.

I think parrots are cute and hilarious, but I do realise that's just because I don't have to deal with them personally.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stellaris - PYF annoying bird sounds

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
My first game after Utopia finally progressed to the point where I've built my first habitats, and wow, I did not expect them to work exactly like planets. For some reason I thought building a habitat automatically means getting population on it.

I was pretty surprised when I had to build additional colony ships just to "colonize" my habitats! But anyway, after my first experimental habitats are now on-line, I'm quite satisfied with how this works. The double-colonization is a bit weird, but I can live with this.

For me, the most important thing is: In future games I can just set planets to the lowest settings and give no fucks! Artificial planets for everyone! :v:

Seriously, for my next game I'll try to make the galaxy as harrowingly empty as I can, plus 3-4 advanced races and a FE for additional flavor. Wasteland in Space, here we come.

Another lesson I've learned: Never pick Discovery first. The first century is over and I'm already running out of stuff to research. Well poo poo, next time I take Discovery as second or third tradition, not right there at the beginning. Now let's see what happens to my space cats after the cyborgization-research finishes in a couple months...

(If you can't tell, Utopia is kind of exciting for me.)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Demon_Corsair posted:

I never had a militarist faction pop up to move away from pacifism.

You don't need one - if you embrace anything it will kick out your least liked ethos, so you could have embraced materialism or spiritualism or something.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Guilliman posted:

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

There's a few reason why they do show up on 'dead' worlds though. I understand from a game play perspective it can feel disappointing to see a cool modifier on a world you cannot colonize, but that shouldn't discourage you from further exploring.

Consider them appearing on dead worlds for a multitude of reasons; it increases the aspect of exploration as you find something cool and hope to find it on a world you can colonize. Dead planets aren't all dead I cant just for gameplay not spawn modifiers on dead planets. It would make no sense from a story perspective. Who knows that dead frozen moon wasn't a thriving colony a thousand years ago? In fact I think not spawning modifiers on dead worlds will make the entire mod feel disconnected with the overall feel of the game. Suddenly dead worlds are just game play objects instead of potential 'narrative' objects.

The way modifiers are rolled also heavily favours habitable worlds already. You should notice dead worlds have far less modifiers on them overall. If the world is not a dead world the modifiers have 2x as much chance to appear. With recent update I also changed the precursor spawn rates around a bit. 66% global reduction and a 50% increase for habitable worlds. Small nerf so they're less common but overall more common on worlds where you can use them. (Since they're now showing a discovery event as well).

They'll still appear on dead worlds but that's part of the exploration. Sometimes you find something really interesting and cool but inaccessible. Makes replayability also a huge deal imho.

I'll leave it at that as it's starting to feel rambley :p It's 7am and I'm on my first half of my first cup of coffee.

But yeah feel free to make suggestions or point out modifiers that make little sense on dead worlds and I'll fix those (after modifier #100 it's become really hard to keep track of everything) . :)

Oh, I understand why they show up on barren worlds. Its good flavor. I agree with it for the most part too, Stellaris is an old universe and there is a lot of time behind you in setting. One thing I have been seeing are modifiers that imply ecosystems on dead worlds. Im thinking that something you could do with the 'Life is here' type modifiers is set the terraform candidate event flag like Mars has on dead planets that roll one. Im just not sure how you would keep that from firing off when you get it on normal, colonizable world, as those are terraformable from the get go.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

winterwerefox posted:

Oh, I understand why they show up on barren worlds. Its good flavor. I agree with it for the most part too, Stellaris is an old universe and there is a lot of time behind you in setting. One thing I have been seeing are modifiers that imply ecosystems on dead worlds. Im thinking that something you could do with the 'Life is here' type modifiers is set the terraform candidate event flag like Mars has on dead planets that roll one. Im just not sure how you would keep that from firing off when you get it on normal, colonizable world, as those are terraformable from the get go.

dead worlds shouldn't have most of the life modifiers though. If any do show up it's an oversight and I need to exclude those. (Too many to keep track of hehe).

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I see some life-related modifiers popping up on dead worlds now and then. I just handwave it as silicon based or using ammonia as a solvent or living under the ice or whatever makes sense.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I notice the Sentient AI tech is red. Why is that? The AI Rebellion crisis doesn't seem to reference it (looking at the file, it seems to key off the synthetic workers tech). Does it super duper piss off one of the FE's or something?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Soup du Journey posted:

I notice the Sentient AI tech is red. Why is that? The AI Rebellion crisis doesn't seem to reference it (looking at the file, it seems to key off the synthetic workers tech). Does it super duper piss off one of the FE's or something?

I think it sends Spiritualist FEs completely ballistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Also the Materialists. They know the dangers of Sentient AI and will tell you to STOP. Though that may have changed. If the AI Rebellion now keys off a different tech, maybe their reaction does the same?

• Locked thread