Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Doggles posted:

"R&D means Research & Done right? What else could the D possibly stand for?" said the people who squandered $9 million.

I feel a little worse for the customers here because they were selling that card as a "pre-order" on their website. So it wasn't even under the kickstarter guise of "it's a donation reward". It was extra deceiving.

It's still stupid as hell to pre-order a product from a startup company with no track record. Honestly if you have to give money up-front for a pre-order, that should be your first red flag. Haven't we been through enough years of these scams/disasters that people would start to learn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Four of these exact projects failed previously, so obviously THIS one wouldn't.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Star Citizen is worth every penny of those millions. In how many funny things it produced, of course, the game itself is still a poo poo alpha somehow.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

gschmidl posted:

Four of these exact projects failed previously, so obviously THIS one wouldn't.
When one of Plastc's competitors went under they even gloated about it:

Plastc posted:

Flip Your Coin For A $50 Discount. Coin has been acquired and is now defunct. Or in other words, they sold you out. Don't worry, Plastc's got your back.
:smug:

Purple Gromit
Mar 28, 2010

Infinitum posted:

When you're talking chips, you're talking tap-to-pay like tech yeah?

The US doesn't have that yet? :psyduck:

The US doesn't have metric yet

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Someone made something out of Black Mirror

There's this thing you wear on your back

And it gives you a nice feedback when you're slouched like a poo poo

I had pretty bad back pain when I started working in an office but fixed it with 5 minutes a week of lumbar exercises; but maybe this doorbell thing is better.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Anyway; because sock suspenders weren't weird enough what about shirt suspenders; https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nv-s-holder-will-keep-your-shirt-perfectly-tucked#/

Is it me or do their pictures all make the end result look like poo poo? Like they all have a onesie under their pants instead of a shirt. If at least it looked good, it'd be easier to forget that it costs as much as tailoring / altering 4 shirts...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

unpacked robinhood posted:

I had pretty bad back pain when I started working in an office but fixed it with 5 minutes a week of lumbar exercises; but maybe this doorbell thing is better.

My sister's a physio and I bet some of her patients could use that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

unpacked robinhood posted:

There's already a whole bunch of products that do this, including lovely apps (one's called Posture Man Pat :v:) and gadgets all the way to actual orthopedic devices for correcting bad posture that have been around for decades.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doggles posted:

"R&D means Research & Done right? What else could the D possibly stand for?" said the people who squandered $9 million.

On a gaming note, Star Citizen, not satisfied with raising nearly $150 million in crowdfunded cash, is now asking its backers to spam referral codes all over the internet to win a free trip to GamesCom 2017! To earn this free trip, you only need to recruit 2,942 people using your referral code. That many recruits equates to "donating" $132,390 to Star Citizen.

Star Citizen is like a pyramid scheme but somehow dumber

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Paladinus posted:

Star Citizen is worth every penny of those millions. In how many funny things it produced, of course, the game itself is still a poo poo alpha somehow.

It's an actual game now? I thought it was some elaborate scam like Amway or Cutco.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's a 'game' in the way that there are 'playable' sections

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1oFvxUoeI

But really it's one big scam and may or may not ever come out, but it'll probably never live up to the hype

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fondue posted:

It's an actual game now? I thought it was some elaborate scam like Amway or Cutco.

They've delivered on like 5% of what's been promised. There's a series of disconnected demos that each themselves are just trying to give an impression of what the gigantic coke-dream of Star Citizen is supposed to become (and never, EVER will)

They can't even crank out models of ships fast enough to keep up with how many they're pre-selling and making up, much less actual playable game components.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hey guys I'd be careful, Derek Smark is gonna doxx all ya'll if you keep talking that dreck.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

CordlessPen posted:

Is it me or do their pictures all make the end result look like poo poo? Like they all have a onesie under their pants instead of a shirt. If at least it looked good, it'd be easier to forget that it costs as much as tailoring / altering 4 shirts...

Tailored men's onesies? Hang on I'll be right back.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Leal posted:

Hey guys I'd be careful, Derek Smark is gonna doxx all ya'll if you keep talking that dreck.

Seems unlikely, given how much he hates Star Citizen.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

They've delivered on like 5% of what's been promised.

Try 0.5%. They've delivered something like 1 system out of freelancer. They promised far bigger systems though, and they promised 100 on launch. Out of basic mechanics only combat uh.. "works". Sometimes. Trading, piracy, etc. doesn't exist in this space truck simulator. :allears:

But what's the best thing about Star Citizen, for me, is that Elite Dangerous slowly keeps delivering everything SC keeps promising. They're not very fast at delivering complex things (but then, they also only got crowdfunded for 2m), and their game is boring for a lot of people and definitely isn't for everyone. But Star Citizens keep making GBS threads on it all the time because they find it boring. Yet, it's exactly what the croberts keeps promising he'll deliver at some point in the future. It's perfect.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Tailored men's onesies? Hang on I'll be right back.

To late, already exists.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Manuel Calavera posted:

To late, already exists.

Just make them steampunk or add someone else's intellectual property.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Leal posted:

DSmart hates Star Citizen, he doesn't defend it. You got it backwards.

Truga posted:

Try 0.5%. They've delivered something like 1 system out of freelancer. They promised far bigger systems though, and they promised 100 on launch. Out of basic mechanics only combat uh.. "works". Sometimes. Trading, piracy, etc. doesn't exist in this space truck simulator. :allears:

But what's the best thing about Star Citizen, for me, is that Elite Dangerous slowly keeps delivering everything SC keeps promising. They're not very fast at delivering complex things (but then, they also only got crowdfunded for 2m), and their game is boring for a lot of people and definitely isn't for everyone. But Star Citizens keep making GBS threads on it all the time because they find it boring. Yet, it's exactly what the croberts keeps promising he'll deliver at some point in the future. It's perfect.

Yeah I love Elite Dangerous. And that's the way you actually build a massively ambitious game like that, the E:D way. You set small goals and you meet those milestones before you go bothering to design more complex systems upon those.

Star Citizen is the worst example of feature creep in the entire software industry. And like a terrible pyramid scheme, they have to constantly borrow more money to continue to build the things that they didn't have that they already sold other people to make the money to build the things they sold to even other people still...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Truga posted:

:gary: Excuse me but you'll find that Star Citizen is going to combine the best of EVE Online, Titanfall, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, X3, Sim City, Euro Truck Simulator, Minecraft, Breath of the Wild, and River City Ransom all in one ultimate sci-fi sim. :yarg:

Zaphod42 posted:

Star Citizen is the worst example of feature creep in the entire software industry.

The best part is that anyone who knows anything about Chris Roberts knew this when SC was announced. The guy did the same poo poo with Freelancer until Microsoft stepped in and made him finish the game in some capacity. Sure, Roberts wanted to do more stuff like basic game balance expand on the lost colony vessel and the Outcasts, but meanie Microsoft just wouldn't let him spend their money forever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
They gave you guys an entire forum so that nobody else has to read this poo poo, you know.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I used to skim the last few pages of the SC thread from time to time but goddamn they're tedious

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
no one but goons care about sc

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CAROL posted:

no one but goons care about sc

And, I guess, thousands of people who donated millions to it. They probably care.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i guess

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Harveygod posted:

Just make them steampunk or add someone else's intellectual property.

I got this

iOnesies

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Want to cover your laptop's webcam but duct tape just isn't stylish enough?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2126936003/the-spyslide-the-most-elegant-webcam-cover

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

Want to cover your laptop's webcam but duct tape just isn't stylish enough?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2126936003/the-spyslide-the-most-elegant-webcam-cover

Is anyone selling artisanal tinfoil hats yet?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

tuyop posted:

Yes, yes they are.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

someone fund my artisinal silly putty that totally blocks sound when you cram it into the mic opening on your laptop. Stretch goals are new colors, glitter, a special toothpick to remove the poo poo, special scissors to cut the wires to the mic for extra safety, and a cell phone edition.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I used to be a living creature!

This is made by the more than aptly named Passive Aggressive Vegan.

quote:

There are 3 kinds of Vegans in the world.

A: Vegans who share tasty food to win people over.
B: Vegans who share information and let people come to the logical choice.
C: Vegans who think that relentlessly bombarding people with images of animal suffering on social media will help people chose veganism.

I am a bit of A and a bit of B, but I feel like type C vegans might have a bit of a point. However, Supermarkets and butchers already parade the bits of animals that they sell in morbid glass containers and shopfronts.

I thought one day... Why not propagandise the shops that sell meat, by using them to educate people, reminding them what they are actually eating, however it is sliced and disguised !

That is how the "I used to be a living creature" project was born.

The aim is to produce Large 5" X 4" stickers with the Slogan "I used to be a living creature!" for use by activists and any playful Vegan to 'Re-decorate' shops that sell meat.

What I'm noticing is that under risks and challenges vandalizing businesses isn't mentioned, nor is any kind of disclaimer, so I sure as hell hope they reach funding and get the cleaning bills.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wit posted:

I used to be a living creature!

4 stickers for £3?? You can buy blank sticker paper at any stationary supplier and print them off on your home printer, the cost should be less than 10c per sticker if you bought in bulk. What a loving scam.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

wit posted:

"Playful" vegans sound like a laugh riot. Also the idea that meat is disguised is pretty fuckin' naive. Like, do they think that a rump steak isn't obviously animal butt? It's right there in the name guys.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That campaign also seems to be unintentionally reinforcing the stereotype that vegans have no energy or drive.

This amuses me. Probably far more than it should really.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

tuyop posted:

This was posted in this thread a year or so ago: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shieldapparel/shield-the-world-s-first-signal-proof-headwear

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rapulum_Dei posted:

2024% funded!

:psyboom:

Aww, now I'm sad thinking of all those young men without grandpas to tell them how to keep their shirts tucked in.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

4 stickers for £3?? You can buy blank sticker paper at any stationary supplier and print them off on your home printer, the cost should be less than 10c per sticker if you bought in bulk. What a loving scam.

Think of it as poetic justice for the backers.

...especially if the creator isn't actually a Vegan.

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Aaah, it's the EXPERIENCE that costs so much http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39664483

Gotta pay a premium for that "garters, but upside down" experience of being a sucker.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Didn't actually click the link I see.

quote:

A US start-up that sells a wi-fi connected juicing machine for $399 (£310), has offered refunds after the gadget was mocked on social media.

Juicero makes the bulk of its sales by supplying pouches of pre-cut fruit and vegetables which fit the contraption.

But the product was ridiculed by some after it emerged how the sachets could be squeezed just as easily by hand.
Chief executive Jeff Dunn said the criticism overlooked the "experience" of the machine.

He claimed the "hacking" of the pouches did not produce the same quality of juice. saying the machine was calibrated to deal with different ingredients differently.

But Juicero has now given customers the chance to return the machine and get their money back, including those who bought it at its launch price of $699.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Didn't actually click the link I see.

If you're stupid enough to pay for this product you deserve to be scammed.

People have had fresh pressed juice for hundreds of years before Juicero, and it comes in practical containers that keeps it fresh until you peel and squeeze, you can combine different flavors, the containers fit many different juicer machines and will still be for sale years from now.

How is that product in any way supposed to be an improvement over real fruit?