Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Finally finished the game and so here's my big block of text:

Ending thoughts: I think the ending kind of sucked worse than Persona 4's. The game pretty much tells you, "Okay, you can't say 'gently caress the police' anymore. It's time to trust adults again even though they have done almost nothing to regain that trust and almost destroyed the world through sheer apathy. It's been just over a month since you were drugged, beaten like an animal in lockup, and almost killed, but it's time to let the system work!"

Also it's time to go home to your parents. The parents that are even worse than P4 MC's. The parents who didn't just neglect the MC, they dumped him with a total stranger the second he got in trouble and only accepted him back when his innocence was proven. These people never believed in their son. What kind of home is he going back to?

Thoughts on Makoto's S-Link: I think her S-Link would have been better if it focused more on the fact the student council president is now hanging out with a criminal, a guy who assaulted a teacher, and a slut. You could have had some cool scenes with her trying to navigate her dual world of shy honor student/Her Holy Majesty Assbeater 1st. She's no longer going to be a complete doormat to every demand that comes her way and would have been much more interesting than "Let's pretend to date." In my playthrough, I screamed, "I've always loved you" in front of the entire goddamn school. It was awesome and I just wish there were more realistic consequences for Makoto's slumming it with the local outcasts.
Also people other than me need to start calling her Waifumus Prime.

I named my MC Kotaro Shibume and I laughed my rear end off when I found out that kid's dog has the same name as me. My sister named the MC Raoul d'Andresy after one of Lupin's aliases.

I have another post in me about Arsene Lupin and discussion about how the Persona is reflected in the story, but I think I'll save it for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dragon_pamcake posted:

Finally finished the game and so here's my big block of text:

Ending thoughts: I think the ending kind of sucked worse than Persona 4's. The game pretty much tells you, "Okay, you can't say 'gently caress the police' anymore. It's time to trust adults again even though they have done almost nothing to regain that trust and almost destroyed the world through sheer apathy. It's been just over a month since you were drugged, beaten like an animal in lockup, and almost killed, but it's time to let the system work!"

Also it's time to go home to your parents. The parents that are even worse than P4 MC's. The parents who didn't just neglect the MC, they dumped him with a total stranger the second he got in trouble and only accepted him back when his innocence was proven. These people never believed in their son. What kind of home is he going back to?

Shujin Academy was the only school that would take the Protagonist with his criminal record, Sojiro just lived in the area and was a family friend. The point of letting the cops do their job is that the root cause their shared apathy was now very dead with a hole in its head, and it was now time to prove they could actually do their jobs. The Protagonist ended up in juvie because they needed his testimony to nail Shido to the wall, which meant confessing to being a Phantom Thief and thus breaking probation. The original charge being expunged meant he walked out free and clear.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

wizard on a water slide posted:

She hides in her closet and has bags of trash piled on her shelves dude

Harrow posted:

Okay, so she's a goon

Proof that she's a goon - how different does her room (before cleaning) really look compared to this stellar gooncave?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shujin Academy was the only school that would take the Protagonist with his criminal record, Sojiro just lived in the area and was a family friend. The point of letting the cops do their job is that the root cause their shared apathy was now very dead with a hole in its head, and it was now time to prove they could actually do their jobs. The Protagonist ended up in juvie because they needed his testimony to nail Shido to the wall, which meant confessing to being a Phantom Thief and thus breaking probation. The original charge being expunged meant he walked out free and clear.

I was just posting about this as well in the spoiler thread, because I had some qualms with it as well.

Like, they were stressing earlier that the Japanese legal system is one where convictions are routine and many people are convicted solely based on their own confessions. Now I understand there are probably many people in Shido's party and inner circle who would want to stop him from going down, just to save their own skins, but I couldn't figure out why the MC's testimony would actually help to prevent that. Your only real-world encounters with Shido were bumping into him in public like three times, and I doubt that "My friends and I entered into his heart through a magical phone app, and we heard about all his evil plans from Shadow versions of real people" would be admissible testimony. Like, the information about those connections is probably actionable but actually testifying doesn't seem necessary except as a major plot contrivance

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was just posting about this as well in the spoiler thread, because I had some qualms with it as well.

Like, they were stressing earlier that the Japanese legal system is one where convictions are routine and many people are convicted solely based on their own confessions. Now I understand there are probably many people in Shido's party and inner circle who would want to stop him from going down, just to save their own skins, but I couldn't figure out why the MC's testimony would actually help to prevent that. Your only real-world encounters with Shido were bumping into him in public like three times, and I doubt that "My friends and I entered into his heart through a magical phone app, and we heard about all his evil plans from Shadow versions of real people" would be admissible testimony. Like, the information about those connections is probably actionable but actually testifying doesn't seem necessary except as a major plot contrivance

Part of nailing Shido was proving the Metaverse et al existed, which Sae apparently did, so yes declaring "we saw him in his own mind saying these things" would fly on that understanding.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

also i bet getting him to admit to abusing his authority to get a kid charged for assault while scrubbing his name from the whole thing doesn't look too good on paper either.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What should I spend the free time in class (Temperance ability) on? How much Knowledge do you get from 'study on your own'?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Roobanguy posted:

also i bet getting him to admit to abusing his authority to get a kid charged for assault while scrubbing his name from the whole thing doesn't look too good on paper either.

Specifically, he admits to falsifying his charge against you. I actually always thought that you were testifying more to your side of the story in that incident, again, this time with Shido's testimony also corroborating with yours.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Specifically, he admits to falsifying his charge against you. I actually always thought that you were testifying more to your side of the story in that incident, again, this time with Shido's testimony also corroborating with yours.

But the plot also states that it's difficult to overturn a conviction (your assault of Shido) without definitive proof that it was false. Your own protestations of innocence didn't work the first time, or even in the pre-trial interview, and it's only because of what your friends do (getting the woman in the incident to recant her testimony) that they clear that.

I mean, I guess I should just accept that Sae becomes Phoenix Wright and your testimony is a key item

PirateBob posted:

What should I spend the free time in class (Temperance ability) on? How much Knowledge do you get from 'study on your own'?

I always read books in class. I didn't study except at the diner, where you can get multiple bonuses to stack

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PirateBob posted:

Books. Have a bunch in your inventory at all times. Go to the school library and check the free ones (one at a time) out if you haven't gone yet.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 22, 2017

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ugh, I have so many gaps in my Compendium but I'm not sure where to start. I hit 50 and spend about 30 minutes fusing, summoning, and fusing some more dudes. You get some real buff personas around 50.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wait till the late game, make a poo poo load of money in Mementos and go from there.

And/Or use the Persona Calculator tool.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Pastrymancy posted:

They should add a jukebox option for mementos exploring

*barges into the thread, huffing and puffing*

Interstice... of time...!!!

*collapses, dead*

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

On the topic of music, I really wish you could pick and choose DLC songs independently of picking a costume for Joker because the SMT if... battle theme is fantastic, but I'm not super hot on that uniform - especially over Joker's standard attire.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I just ended up listening to stuff on Spotify during my big Reaper grind in Mementos. I can usually tune out the Mementos music pretty well, but if I have to listen to that while sitting still for several minutes between Reaper fights... :gonk:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

:chanpop:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ChaosArgate posted:

On the topic of music, I really wish you could pick and choose DLC songs independently of picking a costume for Joker because the SMT if... battle theme is fantastic, but I'm not super hot on that uniform - especially over Joker's standard attire.
sincerly lmao that you don't like the absolute bonkers Karukozaka High uniform, it's so great and stupid.

I think Goro is the only one who gets a different if... outfit and his is actually pretty sharp

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Moltrey posted:

sincerly lmao that you don't like the absolute bonkers Karukozaka High uniform, it's so great and stupid.

I think Goro is the only one who gets a different if... outfit and his is actually pretty sharp

The pants just aren't my thing. :shrug: When the Catherine DLC hits, I'm gonna have a real hard time choosing between Joker's Vincent outfit or his Karukozaka High uniform because he looks good in Vincent's outfit, but at the same time, that arrangement of Old Enemy is siiiick.

Sharkman
Dec 7, 2007
Just started my NG+ run.

Does anybody else want to build up Arsene to be not-poo poo like I did in P4 way back when?

It was way easier to do in Golden thanks to Rare Hands, skillcards, and the changes to Shuffle Time, and I wanted to do so this time as well.

Any pointers?

I do have to note that my only Rank 10 Confidant/S. Link party member ended up being Ryuji and thanks to Haru's requirement of Level 5 Proficiency, I never got past rank 1.

I'm a little surprised at myself, since the first time I played P4, I at least managed to get my teammates to Rank 10, even if I skipped others.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ChaosArgate posted:

The pants just aren't my thing. :shrug: When the Catherine DLC hits, I'm gonna have a real hard time choosing between Joker's Vincent outfit or his Karukozaka High uniform because he looks good in Vincent's outfit, but at the same time, that arrangement of Old Enemy is siiiick.
It's a cool version, but I really miss the Super Famicom's rippin' midi guitars, that's in like all of the original SMTs. I'm still mad that if... hasn't been translated yet, it's been five years

The Catherine and the Dancing All Night DLCs are 100% my favs cause those costume choices are perfect

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sharkman posted:

Just started my NG+ run.

Feed Arsene a Persona with good/the wanted skills in the gallows thing, enter and leave the menu until only the stats you want to improve will go up. He'll inherit one of the skills from the absorbed Persona. Register him and then dismiss him in the menu, then resummon him and feed him another Persona. Costly and time consuming, and you can't get 99 in all stats, but it's possible to make him great.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Moltrey posted:

It's a cool version, but I really miss the Super Famicom's rippin' midi guitars, that's in like all of the original SMTs. I'm still mad that if... hasn't been translated yet, it's been five years

The Catherine and the Dancing All Night DLCs are 100% my favs cause those costume choices are perfect

I wanna know what Old Enemy would've sounded like on Super Famicom, since afaik it was introduced in the PSX remake and those midi guitars would've been rad as hell with that tune.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ChaosArgate posted:

I wanna know what Old Enemy would've sounded like on Super Famicom, since afaik it was introduced in the PSX remake and those midi guitars would've been rad as hell with that tune.
Oh, was it only PSX? poo poo, never mind me then.

but yeah the Super Famicom SMT soundtracks are all just baller, with Ginza from SMT 1 probably being my fav. Probably the most buckwild song for a Shop Theme

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Oh, was it only PSX? poo poo, never mind me then.

but yeah the Super Famicom SMT soundtracks are all just baller, with Ginza from SMT 1 probably being my fav. Probably the most buckwild song for a Shop Theme

It was introduced as the random battle theme for Akira's chapter on PSX, I think, and then it was later arranged for Nocturne as the Amala Network battle theme, which rules. And I agree, the classic SMT soundtracks just have a really raw sound to them and it rules! I think SMT2 might have one of my favorite random battle themes ever.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Found a video which has some interesting thoughts about how the mechanics tie into the narrative of the game, with a focus on the daily life aspects of the game. Feel free to watch it here. It's a spoiler-free video so no need to worry about that. Thoughts?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

jimmydalad posted:

Found a video which has some interesting thoughts about how the mechanics tie into the narrative of the game, with a focus on the daily life aspects of the game. Feel free to watch it here. It's a spoiler-free video so no need to worry about that. Thoughts?

I definitely had the same feeling. In dungeons and mementos I would often put on a podcast or video and go on autopilot until story stuff happened. The everyday life sim stuff was where I was dialed in and thinking about the choices I needed to make very carefully

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ChaosArgate posted:

It was introduced as the random battle theme for Akira's chapter on PSX, I think, and then it was later arranged for Nocturne as the Amala Network battle theme, which rules. And I agree, the classic SMT soundtracks just have a really raw sound to them and it rules! I think SMT2 might have one of my favorite random battle themes ever.
Oh poo poo, I had no idea that was the Amala battle theme, drat. And yeah the SMT 2 battle theme is good, it's completely burned into my brain as well as the version of it that's sped up through an emulator as I mash A

I change my answer though, my favorite is actually the dance hall theme from SMT 2 where Everybody's Dancing Furiously and you have to have high enough stats to win a dance battle to get a key item

for real though, the old SMT songs sound like they belong in DOOM levels and the art does too

(this is a poster design and I want this poster irl so bad

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 22, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Moltrey posted:

I change my answer though, my favorite is actually the dance hall theme from SMT 2 where Everybody's Dancing Furiously and you have to have high enough stats to win a dance battle to get a key item
You forgot to mention the best part, which is the fact one of the patrons of the dance club is "Mr. Thriller" aka Zombie Michael Jackson from the Thriller video.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Re: making a bitchin Arsene, it's a bummer that apparently you can only get a severe dark skill from DLC Persona. I was hoping Beelz would have one, but apparently he only gets some kind of dark version of that weird 50% HP skill instead.

Is that 50% HP skill good, btw? It seems to take the place of severe light/dark skills (showing up as it does on like Michael and Beelzebub), but obviously percentage damage is one of those things that either rules (if it hits bosses for 50% of their health or does damage based on max and not current HP) or sucks rear end (if it's based on current and anything with more than 500 HP is immune to it).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I like how the enemies using the 50% HP spell is one of the least threatening things they could possibly do.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The next Persona game needs to make the main character's Persona stay with them like the other characters and in Persona Q, because drat Arsene's too good to be fusion fodder. I guess the lesson is "don't get attached to your Personas" but gently caress you he looks swag as gently caress. It'd be a reliable thing that'd scale with you just in case you hosed up fusions or were between the next tier or what have you.

I'm on the desert temple and drat it ain't pulling no punches.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I had to use up Arsene during the very first fusion tutorial since it was the only thing I could make that I didn't already have and the game wouldn't let me back out.

Edit: It was Pixie + Arsene so I'm guessing that was an intentional design choice to make it so there was always a fusion option for that tutorial.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 22, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Same, it was worth it for his "I'll be back" speech. I tried to stick with him for a while but when he hit level 10 and didn't get better past that point I dumped him. Real sad that he gets left behind whilst the other characters keep their rad Personas.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's fine to be attached to Orpheus/Izanagi/Arsene because they put a lot of unique design work into them to produce Persona that are appropriate for that protagonist and to the themes of the game for something you barely actually see or use in the game.

In Persona 3 they were at least good enough to give the MC an ultimate Persona based on that design (Messiah) that you could fuse and use in the final fights if you were high enough, and it's weird they didn't do that in 4 and 5, even if the way Satanael (Messiah's P5 equivalent) finishes the last boss is awesome.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Oh poo poo, I had no idea that was the Amala battle theme, drat. And yeah the SMT 2 battle theme is good, it's completely burned into my brain as well as the version of it that's sped up through an emulator as I mash A

for real though, the old SMT songs sound like they belong in DOOM levels and the art does too

(this is a poster design and I want this poster irl so bad

Man, I miss Kaneko's art, it was so distinct and it always looks incredible. :(

Edit:

wizard on a water slide posted:

In Persona 3 they were at least good enough to give the MC an ultimate Persona based on that design (Messiah) that you could fuse and use in the final fights if you were high enough, and it's weird they didn't do that in 4 and 5, even if the way Satanael (Messiah's P5 equivalent) finishes the last boss is awesome.

Yu's ultimate Persona was literally an upgraded Izanagi though? Izanagi-no-Okami? You could argue that Joker's ultimate Persona is also an upgraded form of Arsene, too, I feel like.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm not too wild on most of the evolved Persona designs this game, they're generally fine but worse than the originals.

It'd be interesting to see how Johanna works if they ever make a Persona 5 Arena though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Ryuji's evolved Persona is awesome, and I appreciate what's going on with Makoto's. I think Haru's is a wash; Milady is cool, but I also love psychadelic sugar skull Astarte, especially given the psychic attack animations.

Carmen, Goemon, and Necronomicon are waaay better tho.

ChaosArgate posted:

Yu's ultimate Persona was literally an upgraded Izanagi though? Izanagi-no-Okami? You could argue that Joker's ultimate Persona is also an upgraded form of Arsene, too, I feel like.

They are. My point is they're literally unusable until NG+ outside of cutscenes (unless something changed in Golden)

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I like how all the ultimate personas follow on neatly from their original versions design-wise. I appreciate what's going on with all of them. Necronomicon becoming a big Deadmau5 head is pretty cool.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not too wild on most of the evolved Persona designs this game, they're generally fine but worse than the originals.

It'd be interesting to see how Johanna works if they ever make a Persona 5 Arena though.

I want it to work like Ghost Rider in UMvC3 where you get on and pop sick wheelies for more damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ChaosArgate posted:

Man, I miss Kaneko's art, it was so distinct and it always looks incredible. :(
for real, kaneko the god. Doi's art is good and clean, but I feel loses a good bit of the surreal and creepy, yet beautiful tone of some of Kaneko's work on the process.

This twitter account that just posts Kaneko art is a pro follow imo