Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Kavak posted:

I'm confused on whether this should be allowed to continue or not.

I know right? The first Nier was clearly in the "No one stops!" camp, but now there's all this. This series isn't very consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Huh, so it is Adam and Steve after all. Thanks for clearing that one up, Automata.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

Episode XVI: None Wang Angel

Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Drakengard!
Drakengard!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I DEFINITELY did not see THAT end to the fight coming. What the hell, Yoko Taro?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

An increasingly complicated question these days, and possibly not a meaningful one, depending on your beliefs.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Obviously, this means the machine lifeforms have suffered through played Drakengard 3.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love how the "this cannot continue" is incorporated into the boss fight music.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I have to give 2B and 9S props for immediately realizing they were in the Cutscene Zone and making sure Adam didn't level up enough to abuse said zone to his advantage. Although technically, growing a clone from you corpse kind of counts as Cutscene Zone Abuse so...yeah I'm going to call it a draw on that front.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Augus posted:

Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Drakengard!
Drakengard!

Goddammit why does this work so perfectly?

Nice to see that on Yoko Taro's wild ride, even the Platinum Rival is outta there.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, Platinum games tend to include a recurring boss fight against an enemy with a moveset comparable to the player's. Examples include Nelo Angelo from the first Devil May Cry, Jeanne in Bayonetta and Prince Vorken in Wonderful 101.
No way Adam and Steve there aren't this game's rivals.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

I DEFINITELY did not see THAT end to the fight coming. What the hell, Yoko Taro?

you should read Genesis

it clearly states that when you put Adam into a long sleep and break his ribs that another naked person comes out

and neither are ashamed of it

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

AradoBalanga posted:

I have to give 2B and 9S props for immediately realizing they were in the Cutscene Zone and making sure Adam didn't level up enough to abuse said zone to his advantage. Although technically, growing a clone from you corpse kind of counts as Cutscene Zone Abuse so...yeah I'm going to call it a draw on that front.

I mean technically they succeeded. They did kill him they just couldn't account for his corpse doing mitosis.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

are you assuming its gender?
It's the name of the achievement for completing this section.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Augus posted:

Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Drakengard!
Drakengard!

:golfclap:

Between this and the RobotDRAKENGARD.gif, this has been gold already. Gonna have to get back to playing this so I stay ahead of the LP, but I'm loving this so far.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The trophy says so.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

McDragon posted:

The trophy says so.

Well, it was a healthy baby boy, anyway.

Now it's twins!

And only one of them is healthy, I guess.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
After the machine chorus kicked back in around the 3rd power up transition I started wondering if they were still there up there in the suspended egg/womb. Seconds later camera angle said yuuup.

I assume they're boomboxing out the music and chanting along.

So, assuming that these two not-sephiroths were the first of their sort, what should we guess the purpose of the many, many android corpses was? The game suggested they were brought to that location, not that they all stumbled onto the reproduction and child raising practice ground and were killed. Did the machines do autopsies to figure out how to make one or took their skin coverings/other bits for a similar reason?
I really hope we're not supposed to guess they practiced that sex stuff with the android bodies first, as if playing with dolls, before the point we found them trying it for themselves.

Episode XV

The Dark Id posted:

pointing out where all this points are

Little be stressful. Yourselves?

Gatling bullets explode in impact

They’d better not all try to high tail out outta here too...

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Araganzar posted:

Mine was Adam because I had silvery flowing hair and no genitals.

I was going through a phase.

Ah, women's studies?

EDIT: That boss music is tied as my favorite track in the game.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 22, 2017

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Does the survivor go emo and pick up a massive sword, like that one in Drakengard, Iron Finger or whatever? The ultragreatsword type that you use with one hand.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Yes. Listen to it. It is glorious and amazing.

I love the music in this game. Except for the default resistance camp music. Boo, resistance camp.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
This is why i said the break between updates is kinda awkward. When you play, you go straight from thiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinue birthing Adam to the boss music, and you suddenly realize "... wait, are the machines SINGING THE BOSS MUSIC?"

One of the best boss fights by flair that i've ever seen, even if it's heavily scripted.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Heeeere's Johnny!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Also, 9S won't attack the boss until you do, or at least he didn't for me. So you can just chill out with pantsless Sephiroph, listening to great music and not fighting at all. Sadly you can't convert this into a utopia where android and machine live in harmony, because you can't leave until the stabbing starts (and ends).

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Sindai posted:

I love how the "this cannot continue" is incorporated into the boss fight music.

Its a good music track
sadly this particular version does not seem to be on the official soundtrack
(probably because it'd be too annoying to keep track of which CD gets which chanting)

also nice to have 'Grandma' back as well

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

So Santana birthed another Pillar Man? I'm enjoying this hot new take on Jojo, even if they aren't ridiculously shredded.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

Qrr posted:

Also, 9S won't attack the boss until you do, or at least he didn't for me. So you can just chill out with pantsless Sephiroph, listening to great music and not fighting at all. Sadly you can't convert this into a utopia where android and machine live in harmony, because you can't leave until the stabbing starts (and ends).

I've seen LPs/Streams where 9S attacked first. I think it might have to do with your proximity to the enemy and/or lock-on though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Woodbeam posted:

I've seen LPs/Streams where 9S attacked first. I think it might have to do with your proximity to the enemy and/or lock-on though.

Could also be combat settings.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Woodbeam posted:

Quite possibly. My 9S just waited while I was standing around because I was absolutely expecting this to be one of those "in the late game we're going to grind it into your face that you attacked someone in not-self-defense" moments and wanted to see if it was avoidable. I walked right up to Adam while waiting for him to do something, so it might have something to do with "how long since 9S hit something and if he comes out of the birth cutscene thinking he's still in combat".

So basically 9S is a non-combat model adrenaline junkie who can't keep the bloodlust down when it gets going. :black101:

chiasaur11 posted:

Could also be combat settings.

I didn't change them from Balanced the entirety of my playthrough, so while he'll probably attack immediately on aggressive, there's probably something else going on there too.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Qrr posted:

Yes. Listen to it. It is glorious and amazing.

I love the music in this game. Except for the default resistance camp music. Boo, resistance camp.

It really is a great track. Possibly my favorite since the hit single "My Name is Mikhail" by Mikhail.

I really wish I could get the drat OST right now, but people were pretty clear that there were spoilers there when I asked...

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
"Dickless Vincent Valentine" is a tautology.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Omobono posted:

Goddammit why does this work so perfectly?

Nice to see that on Yoko Taro's wild ride, even the Platinum Rival is outta there.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, Platinum games tend to include a recurring boss fight against an enemy with a moveset comparable to the player's. Examples include Nelo Angelo from the first Devil May Cry, Jeanne in Bayonetta and Prince Vorken in Wonderful 101.
No way Adam and Steve there aren't this game's rivals.

Or Jetstream Sam. I'm sure there as probably someone in Viewtieful (?) Joe too.
Can't remember other noteworthy Platinum/Clover games but I feel like there's some

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Obnoxipus posted:

Heeeere's Johnny!

:golfclap:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Req.Martyr posted:

Can't remember other noteworthy Platinum/Clover games but I feel like there's some

The Bogey in Vanquish is similar as well.

This whole sequence is a real "Strap in, motherfuckers!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Req.Martyr posted:

Alistair was the iteration in Viewtiful Joe. He even disguised himself as an evil version of Joe.

Vanquish had the final boss (and midboss) be in a Russian knockoff of your suit, so that's another.

It's a pretty good way to test the player. Make them overpowered against grunts once they learn the basic tricks, then force them to adapt to an enemy that can do the same things right back.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

chiasaur11 posted:

Alistair was the iteration in Viewtiful Joe. He even disguised himself as an evil version of Joe.

Vanquish had the final boss (and midboss) be in a Russian knockoff of your suit, so that's another.

It's a pretty good way to test the player. Make them overpowered against grunts once they learn the basic tricks, then force them to adapt to an enemy that can do the same things right back.

Even Okami had Oki, that guy that turned into a wolf and fought with a sword in his mouth.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:roboluv: cannot continue

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Begemot posted:

Even Okami had Oki, that guy that turned into a wolf and fought with a sword in his mouth.
Your true rival was the WiiMote.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

It really is a great track. Possibly my favorite since the hit single "My Name is Mikhail" by Mikhail.

I really wish I could get the drat OST right now, but people were pretty clear that there were spoilers there when I asked...

The OST isn't too bad on spoilers, though they're definitely there. It doesn't have a track named "6O is secretly Mikhail in a dress" or anything like that, just character names we haven't seen yet and one of the ending names.

Though as someone else said the OST also doesn't have the "this cannot continue" lyrics in Birth of a Wish. Which is a shame.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
It's not a Platinum game, or even a good game, but Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2 had two incredibly good boss fights and one boss uses your fighting style, including all of your sub weapons, from the first game. It's one of the few moments that horrid mess was remotely enjoyable.

Edit: Actually, I think I saw Id talking about playing it, or at least planning to, on Twitter.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I got like 90% of the way through the first Lords of Shadow before a bug stopped my playthrough on my previous computer (turns out you literally cannot kill one of the bosses if your computer hardware isn't above the minimum required specs :shepicide: The trap you need to lead them into just will not stay open long enough for you to force them into it!) and I never touched more than the demo of 2, but I would greatly enjoy seeing those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
LoS2 is a much better game if you want pants-on-head stupidity. The original put me to sleep. Repeatedly.

The opening is crusaders storming Dracula's castle and he out-prays one in Latin, causing God to send down a space-laser to scour the earth of all life but Dracula in a 10 mile radius.

• Locked thread