Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

ultraviolence123 posted:

The last 24 hours have been horrible... Bill Tolley from Internal Bleeding and Martin Funderud from Kraanium / Dragging Entrails both died.

WE NEED TO STOP THE BRANDED KNIFE VIOLENCE!

It has claimed two more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
if you've never been stabbed at a mortician show you haven't lived

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Internal Bleeding just released a music video for Bill Tolley's final drum performance, "Final Justice". It's pretty drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NdRRY_kmC4

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

kajeto posted:

Welp, preorders for new Dying Fetus are up and one of the items included is a loving knife:

As someone who only collects useless/garbage band tchotchke's these days ( no shirts or posters thanks! ), most recently an Amorphis keychain & wrist band!, that knife is funny as gently caress so I just pre-ordered.

I mean I like Dying Fetus, they're the only American Death metal band I can stand to listen to ( maybe because they don't focus entirely on the "tech", and put a lot of grind in ), and are one of the best live shows I've ever seen, but I wouldn't normally ever pre-order physical media for them.

Good job Relapse Records, you win!

Note: I do not endorse knife violence and my amusement is that not only is this retarded, but it's comically macho. "Don't mess with me bro, LOOK AT WHAT MY KNIFE SAYS" *accidentally stabs self*

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TollTheHounds posted:

I mean I like Dying Fetus, they're the only American Death metal band I can stand to listen to ( maybe because they don't focus entirely on the "tech", and put a lot of grind in ), and are one of the best live shows I've ever seen, but I wouldn't normally ever pre-order physical media for them.

There are a ton of no-frills American DM bands that you're missing out on.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vargatron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_STTzXIMwU

Went back and listened to Alaska this week and I feel like it's the most coherent Between the Buried and Me album. On later albums, they got to progressive while forgetting about cohesive song construction.

I used to whole-heartedly prefer Colors, but Alaska's slowly overtaken it as my favorite BTBAM album.

I forget who mentioned them a page or two back, but I checked out their first album and I thought it was pretty solid. Listened this track yesterday, though, and it loving ripped. Can't wait to listen to the full album.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

TollTheHounds posted:

Dying Fetus, they're the only American Death metal band I can stand to listen to

That must suck

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

TollTheHounds posted:

I mean I like Dying Fetus, they're the only American Death metal band I can stand to listen to ( maybe because they don't focus entirely on the "tech", and put a lot of grind in)

Cattle Decapitation son, last 2 albums are their best work imo.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

this weekend is gonna be fun

re: TollTheHounds, ^ see Immolation

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Varg posted:

BOLT THR...oh wait.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I know of many other American DM bands - it's not that I'm ignorant, I just don't like them other than Dying Fetus, old Deicide or old Obituary, and even then I think it's just a nostalgia thing.

These days I can really only listen and enjoy something if it has a lot of melody ( guitar or otherwise ) or if not, a fuckton of groove. So it basically precludes most american death or tech death, unless there's a nice intersection with something like Dying Fetus or Soreption ( who are not american, I know ).

I SHOULD like Cattle Decapitation more than I do, because they're sort of at that Dying Fetus tech/groove intersection, but I dunno they just don't really do it for me. I think I just don't like "plain" or "tech" death metal in general and I'm trying to come up with reasons why I like the few bands/albums that I do.

I can appreciate the skill and talent involved with a lot of those bands, it just doesn't interest me.

Random personal music preferences ITT. :shrug:

[edit] I don't like Bolt Thrower at all, very boring :supaburn:

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 21, 2017

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

hopterque posted:

what, i need one of these, how can I get one.

I was joking but now that the idea exists they should make one.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
"wrong one to gently caress with" is obviously a warning against the knife violences by adhering to all general safety practices applicable to a flimsy dull as gently caress piece of poo poo knife

this is merch not to be trifled with and it says so right there

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TollTheHounds posted:

How the gently caress do you even live with yourself

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I listened to Those Once Loyal today

a good decision

no regrets

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TollTheHounds posted:

As someone who only collects useless/garbage band tchotchke's these days ( no shirts or posters thanks! ), most recently an Amorphis keychain & wrist band!, that knife is funny as gently caress so I just pre-ordered.

I mean I like Dying Fetus, they're the only American Death metal band I can stand to listen to ( maybe because they don't focus entirely on the "tech", and put a lot of grind in ),

it sounds like you're not a fan of death metal in general to be perfectly honest, like most of the elements you say you like aren't that common in death metal

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Varg posted:

I'm going to this also. It will be cool and good. It feels like I haven't seen Municipal Waste in forever because Iron Reagan comes around MD so often.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
the new danzig song is loving garbage

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I just listened to it and, boy, you are right

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

TollTheHounds posted:

:frogout:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bolt Thrower is boring but they're boring in the way that makes sure their music is never too memorable. This is a gift to the listener preventing you from ever being too familiar with the songs and getting tired of them.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

I'm pretty sure that if you find BOLT THROWER boring you may be lacking significantly in testosterone.

To the guy who likes dying fetus and nothing else, what about Suffocation, Immolation, and Morbid Angel?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The mix doesn't do what's left of Glenn's voice any favors, and he probably produced it himself

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bolt Thrower did catch a lot of poo poo for years about being boring but I never got that. I'm ready to hear Realm of Chaos any time.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Snowy posted:

Bolt Thrower did catch a lot of poo poo for years about being boring but I never got that. I'm ready to hear Realm of Chaos any time.

:same: but Those Once Loyal.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo DRI was SO loving GOOD LAST NIGHT!!

Played from like 12:30am to 2am - just solid as gently caress for that entire time. Finally getting to hear Abduction, Beneath the Wheel and Suit & Tie Guy live was all I needed in life. Even met Kurt before the show and had him sign my little Thrash Zone sticker.

See em!!

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Snowy posted:

Bolt Thrower is boring.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

you missed out. i once waited in line for like 10 minutes for what i thought was the bathroom but it was just dudes pissing into a trashcan because the bathrooms had like 2 inches of water on the floor.

Did you end up using the trash can?

We Know Catheters posted:

Bolt Thrower is boring.

This won't end well.

Also DRI's logo is so simple but but so good.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

We Know Catheters posted:

Bolt Thrower is boring.

boring (v): making a hole in a solid substance with a rotary cutting instrument.
eg. The only sensible response to We Know Catheters' lovely opinion about Bolt Thrower is boring a hole in their skull with a drill.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Did you end up using the trash can?

of course i did.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also DRI's logo is so simple but but so good.

also

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA55DqbGa0A

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

The mightiest bass tone in all of death metal, ladies and germs.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm pretty sure it's scientifically impossible to make a song with better groove than that

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It seriously gives me chills, I don't understand how anyone who likes metal could dislike poo poo like that.

Hail Bolt Thrower and god bless.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Varg posted:

I wish I could have swung both days. Stoked to see Panopticon and Immolation though.

Ninja edit: and speaking of, there's a mad dad here who's giving Panopticon the most milquetoast finger ever every time one of the coal miner interview clips plays

Edit municipal waste loving owns also

the yeti fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 23, 2017

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
every time i see the name panopticon im mad it isn't a reference to Isis

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

have all the bolt thrower is boring people only been listening to the later albums or something? like thinking either of the first two albums are boring is a weird as hell opinion. what other bands even sound similar to those?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I never knew anyone cared much about Bolt Thrower except old metal-dads who would complain about new-fangled bands like Leviathan-era Mastodon, until I started reading this thread.

I've personally always just found that kind of metal inherently boring, but I thought the Bolt Thrower thing was just a thread meme and not real. They are incredibly sick for like five minutes of listening though.

Also probably a victim of them sounding boring and re-hashed because a billion bands tried to rip off their sound, but if you grew up hearing that then Bolt Thrower sounds like every other band.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cobra Commander posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you find BOLT THROWER boring you may be lacking significantly in testosterone.