Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

shrike82 posted:

democrat.txt

Francis Fukuyama (a.k.a. end of history man)

Hahahaha jesus christ there is literally nothing you can say or do that's stupid enough to get you kicked out of the liberal pundit elite once you've made it there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Focusing on individual votes is the definition of missing the forest for the trees.

Who cares how any one individual voted? To win elections you focus on groups of people. So stop giving a gently caress about if any one goon voted for this or that.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SSNeoman posted:

You might as well burned your ballet for all the good it did.

Why would I burn a ballet?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Because those people can pirouette better than you, and it makes you jealous.

So you'll show them all.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair, who you vote for President in a solid blue or red state really doesn't matter (where "solid" = virtually zero chance of becoming a swing state). Driving the popular vote numbers down without actually changing the results could be viewed as a reasonable way to protest the current situation without actually aiding folks like Trump.

Call it what you want, either way it's irrelevant. The argument was that if the DNC overturned the popular vote and selected Bernie Sanders, all Clinton voters would fall in line because Trump is so bad that we don't have to worry about people spite protest voting.

Clearly this is not the case, it is actually easy for people who don't like what happened in the primary to rationalize a protest vote to "send a message" or tell themselves "my vote doesn't matter because everyone else in my state will do it right so I don't I have to" instead of helping to stop the Republican.

For instance:

NewForumSoftware posted:

Uhh I didn't vote third party because the DNC wasn't democratic, I voted third party because my presidential vote is pointless and a popular vote mandate and third party votes are equally worthless, but one makes you feel good. Thanks electoral college

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Falstaff posted:

Because those people can pirouette better than you, and it makes you jealous.

So you'll show them all.

[nods knowingly] mhmm mhmm

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Why would I burn a ballet?

makes the nutcracker that much more exciting

im not fixing the typo btw

NewForumSoftware posted:

What if these are the same thing?

Then you're an rear end in a top hat.

And that's fine. But own it. There's no morality involved when you knowingly voting third party just to feel good, you're doing it out of selfish reasons.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Third party voters have already heard every argument against third party voting as a concept. They are generally stubborn people. If you feel you need their vote, you have to answer their actual concerns about your candidate and you need to do better than lesser of two evils. For the most part though, I think you are better off trying to appeal to people who are sympathetic to your candidate already but not motivated to get out and vote.

These people outnumber winnable third party voters and they don't already hate you.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 22, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SSNeoman posted:

In the same post:

You're not voting with your conscience, you're voting because it makes you feel good. If you did vote with your conscience you'd make a choice based on the voting system. Voting for third party with your conscience is disingenuous crap people tell themselves as an post-hoc justification.

You're confusing conscience (a personal moral decision process) with a partisan societal expectation to accept the status quo of a failed system.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
There wasn't really any real way of avoiding Clinton as a candidate.The Democratic establishment and Dem voters embraced her candidacy.

Basically everything people said was happening in the Republican primaries, was what happened in the Democratic ones.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Third party voters have already heard every argument against third party voting as a concept. They are generally stubborn people. If you feel you need their vote, you have to answer their actual concerns about your candidate and you need to do better than lesser of two evils. For the most part though, I think you are better off trying to appeal to people who are sympathetic to your candidate already but not motivated to get out and vote.

These people outnumber winnable third party voters and they don't already hate you.

I don't disagree. I just hate how smug and sanctimonious they sound. Gz bro, you did the equivalent of sitting with your thumb up your rear end during the election. Nothing to be proud of.

Mister Facetious posted:

You're confusing conscience (a personal moral decision process) with a partisan societal expectation to accept the status quo of a failed system.

Sociopolitical expectation, not partisan. And I'm not confusing the two, the third party voters are. Cry for change of the system, poo poo I'll even support you. But when it comes time to elect people, and this failed system is still in use, not using it correctly is foolish. Not using it correctly while knowing the correct way to use it, is malicious. And again, that's fine. But own it.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Nothing to be proud of voting for Hillary or Trump either. You gonna do a happy dance because you elected someone who voted for a war that killed hundreds of thousands of people to find imaginary WMD because that clever W tricked her into it?

Oh wait, you didn't even elect her.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

I don't disagree. I just hate how smug and sanctimonious they sound. Gz bro, you did the equivalent of sitting with your thumb up your rear end during the election. Nothing to be proud of.

Sociopolitical expectation, not partisan. And I'm not confusing the two, the third party voters are. Cry for change of the system, poo poo I'll even support you. But when it comes time to elect people, and this failed system is still in use, not using it correctly is foolish. Not using it correctly while knowing the correct way to use it, is malicious. And again, that's fine. But own it.

If you don't vote against the system there's no incentive for it to change.

The DNC should be asking itself why its coalition of white collar professionals can no longer entice the voting block of the working class except through fear baiting of the Other, and failing even then.

Hint: it isn't the fault of the poors.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 22, 2017

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

SSNeoman posted:

Who's proud of it? Ya'll brought it up because somehow you've confused yourself into thinking Democratic votes in blue states matter

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

voting is good, on the same magnitude of goodness as picking up a little piece of trash on the street or giving ur change to a beggar. plz do all 3 of these good things

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Nothing to be proud of voting for Hillary or Trump either. You gonna do a happy dance because you elected someone who voted for a war that killed hundreds of thousands of people to find imaginary WMD because that clever W tricked her into it?

You voted for Gary Johnson in Pennsylvania.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

You voted for Gary Johnson in Pennsylvania.

You voted for Hillary Clinton, lol.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The working class didn't leave the Democratic Party, the Democratic Party left the working class.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

FuriousxGeorge posted:

:shrug:

If Trump lines up with your politics, and you truly agree with his policies, yeah whatever. I'm not gonna hold it over you. Same thing with Hillary.
If you wanted Bernie but voted for Jill Stein well then you're either a moron or selfish.

Mister Facetious posted:

If you don't vote against the system there's no incentive for it to change.

The DNC should be asking itself why its coalition of white collar professionals can no longer entice the voting block of the working class except through fear baiting of the Other, and failing even then.

Hint: it isn't the fault of the poors.

Hint: Doing this on election day does nothing. It doesn't matter if you're poor or otherwise.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

SSNeoman posted:

Hint: Doing this on election day does nothing. It doesn't matter if you're poor or otherwise.

Tell that to Hillary Clinton's presdential campaign

Oh I forgot it's just assumed that the Democrats move right when they lose elections (even though they just lost an election doing that)

Getting people out to vote and providing something better than the lesser of two evils is actually required to win, as much as you might have thought (and the DNC banked on) otherwise.

The Democrats lost so hard this time that noted right wing plant Bernie Sanders is now the most popular politician in America, better move right

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Don't move goal posts you two. The topic was about whether or not it makes sense to vote third party. The DNC election is a separate subject.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

SSNeoman posted:

Don't move goal posts you two. The topic was about whether or not it makes sense to vote third party. The DNC election is a separate subject.

Move what goal posts? If you live in California, voting for the Democrat or third party have the same effect(ie none). This shouldn't really be news to anyone with a basic understanding of America's electoral college.

Now please splurge about voter mandates and how much it would have mattered if Hillary Clinton had the 50,000 votes de la riva got in California

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

The most popular politician in America is an Independent. Makes you think!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We were talking about the Presedential election, not the DNC or its bugbears. If you want to switch to that, then say so, but don't just go "third party voting isn't dumb because I think the DNC is corrupt therefore you see MORALLY I am justified, drat the consequences and the political landscape"

NewForumSoftware posted:

Now please splurge about voter mandates and how much it would have mattered if Hillary Clinton had the 50,000 votes de la riva got in California

Sure, easy. "More votes to show support for DNC and locking the landscape left, especially since California being a safe Dem state is only a recent phenomenon, and telling Republicans to :getout:"

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

SSNeoman posted:

We were talking about the Presedential election, not the DNC or its bugbears. If you want to switch to that, then say so, but don't just go "third party voting isn't dumb because I think the DNC is corrupt therefore you see MORALLY I am justified, drat the consequences and the political landscape"

Actually the topic is about how bad the democrats are. I don't know how to tell you any more ways that third party voting is as good as voting Democratic in California but I guess the centrist's mind can only expand so much.

Like you're going on about moral justifications. I probably literally wouldn't vote if it was just the presidential vote that was available. I go to the polls for local issues first and foremost.

You don't get some kind of medal for voting for the better baby bomber, I don't understand why everyone gets all worked up about it. Presidential votes only matter in a few states, sorry but that's reality.

SSNeoman posted:

Sure, easy. "More votes to show support for DNC and locking the landscape left, especially since California being a safe Dem state is only a recent phenomenon, and telling Republicans to :getout:"

Ironically, votes for de la riva are effectively this. Same with Stein, even though she's an idiot.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 22, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

FuriousxGeorge posted:

You voted for Hillary Clinton, lol.

You voted for a man whose solution to climate change is colonizing other planets because eventually the sun will expand and envelop the earth. A man who promised to abolish the department of education and cut the federal budget in half. You protest voted for an ultra conservative who was obviously worse than the democratic candidate.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The most popular politician in America is an Independent. Makes you think!

You mean the most moral.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

You voted for a man whose solution to climate change is colonizing other planets because eventually the sun will expand and envelop the earth.

This is unironically more realistic than the Democrat's plan of "well, let's just wait and see if we have to do anything really serious"

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

You voted for a man whose solution to climate change is colonizing other planets because eventually the sun will expand and envelop the earth. A man who promised to abolish the department of education and cut the federal budget in half. You protest voted for an ultra conservative who was obviously worse than the democratic candidate.

I didn't protest vote. He was the best candidate on the ballot even with his flaws and my areas of disagreement with him.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

Ironically, votes for de la riva are effectively this. Same with Stein, even though she's an idiot.

People don't even know who La Riva is. You don't have a voice when you vote third party. You become part of the group that follows the other independent weirdos like that guy who wants to become president so he can own a cheetah.
Now is it a large voice when you vote for one of the two major parties? No, but at least it's a voice, and you don't get lumped into the category of "0.01% (I)"

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

SSNeoman posted:

People don't even know who La Riva is. You don't have a voice when you vote third party. You become part of the group that follows the other independent weirdos like that guy who wants to become president so he can own a cheetah.
Now is it a large voice when you vote for one of the two major parties? No, but at least it's a voice, and you don't get lumped into the category of "0.01% (I)"

lol that you believe people are incapable of identifying votes of those parties as left wing. let me guess, nobody has any idea that libertarians exist either, even though they got 4% of the popular vote this election

i mean, i get that political science is a bit of a joke but is this something that you were taught or something?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

If the only thing your voice can say is, "I support Hillary Clinton," or "I support Donald Trump," then it turns out most people are fine not having a voice.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

The working class didn't leave the Democratic Party, the Democratic Party left the working class.

let's split the difference and say neoliberalism destroyed the working class as a socially coherent demographic block

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol that you believe people are incapable of identifying votes of those parties as left wing. let me guess, nobody has any idea that libertarians exist either, even though they got 4% of the popular vote this election

Ah and finally you decide to bring up a legitimate point!

Yes, libertarians did indeed get a good deal of cover this election, though I will argue that's due to how unpopular both of the main parties' candidates were and less because people liked the platform. I do not forsee this happening in the next election, unless we have a similar scenario, though that is only delaying the inevitable. They are also grossly incompetent and under-prepared, lest we forget the primaries being tallied by way of Excell from the year 2000 on a CRT, which will also hurt their efforts.
Still, there is historical precedent now for their message so I suppose if their politics align with yours, yeah go for it.

I don't think you should because lol libertarians, but I'm not you.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

If the only thing your voice can say is, "I support Hillary Clinton," or "I support Donald Trump," then it turns out most people are fine not having a voice.

far from most. those people are well in the minority. sucks to be them I guess.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 22, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

let's split the difference and say neoliberalism destroyed the working class as a socially coherent demographic block

Sorry, no. The professional class doesn't get an out when their New Democrat God King Bill did more to gently caress the working class and minorities with free trade deals, bank deregulation, tough on crime/Drug War laws, and roll back Depression regulations and benefits further than any president in the post-war era.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

SSNeoman posted:

I do not forsee this happening in the next election, unless we have a similar scenario

lol if you don't think the DNC will try to shove a poo poo sandwich down everyone's mouth in 2020.

quote:

I don't think you should because lol libertarians, but I'm not you.

That's why I don't vote libertarian. Now third party votes are all libertarian votes? Can you make up your mind please?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

icantfindaname posted:

That's fine if you are willing to give a straight, honest answer to the inevitable follow up: "Which party are the neoliberals"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol if you don't think the DNC will try to shove a poo poo sandwich down everyone's mouth in 2020.

We're not even done with special elections. Settle down.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

SSNeoman posted:

We're not even done with special elections. Settle down.

You sweet summer child, such naivety warms my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

JeffersonClay posted:

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump had much more in common than they did not, specifically on war, defense contractors, corporate welfare, banks, private prisons, and fracking.

• Locked thread