Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I'm generally into Soejima's work on these games and then sometimes I'll notice everyone's freakishly long necks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkman
Dec 7, 2007
A buddy of mine is also running through the game and says that the EXP total at the end of battles isn't a 1 to 1 of how much exp your characters get. Other people are saying the same.

How is EXP calculated in this game?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

presumably mishima's boosts and party share stuff aren't reflected in the end battle exp results screen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dragon_pamcake posted:

Thoughts on Makoto's S-Link: I think her S-Link would have been better if it focused more on the fact the student council president is now hanging out with a criminal, a guy who assaulted a teacher, and a slut.

I mean the main char is technically a criminal but he didn't do anything. And Ann is a slut now?

Sharkman posted:

A buddy of mine is also running through the game and says that the EXP total at the end of battles isn't a 1 to 1 of how much exp your characters get. Other people are saying the same.

How is EXP calculated in this game?

There is also an exp penalty if you are higher than the mobs you killed. This also isn't reflected on the results screen.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think I might actually shell out for one of those P5 system themes/avatars, they're so stylish. I thought I would go for the one with Makoto but Tokyo Daylight is such good background music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GBciQVf_PI

RME
Feb 20, 2012

yeah the XP result you see during the spoils is the raw number, before its scaled or boosted

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Also I think sure your persona gets a different amount of exp unless it's the same level. Because exp scales and all.

Sharkman
Dec 7, 2007

RME posted:

yeah the XP result you see during the spoils is the raw number, before its scaled or boosted

Is it ever less than what you actually get?

Edit: As in game says you got 100, but comparing the numbers, your "Next EXP to Level" meter indicates you got 60.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sharkman posted:

Is it ever less than what you actually get?

Edit: As in game says you got 100, but comparing the numbers, your "Next EXP to Level" meter indicates you got 60.

Yes. If you're higher level than the enemy it gets reduced.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I mean the main char is technically a criminal but he didn't do anything. And Ann is a slut now?
I think they meant the way those characters are perceived by other Shujin students due to all the rumors going around.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Yes. If you're higher level than the enemy it gets reduced.

I thought the exp earned it shows was already scaled?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I thought that the XP at results was always accurate to simply what The Protagonist alone gets unless they changed it going inbetween P4 and P5?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I thought the exp earned it shows was already scaled?

Your Persona can be higher level than Joker, for example.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doc Morbid posted:

I think they meant the way those characters are perceived by other Shujin students due to all the rumors going around.

I guess, but Ann has her name cleared after the 1st palace. Even the NPC students come apologize to her.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I guess, but Ann has her name cleared after the 1st palace. Even the NPC students come apologize to her.

She still works as a model. Inevitably that sort of profession draws sordid suggestions. Plus her extremely good looks, and her non-Japanese colored hair, seem to cause her image problems even without any of that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

TheLoser posted:

I'm generally into Soejima's work on these games and then sometimes I'll notice everyone's freakishly long necks.
My biggest problem with Soejima faces is that their tans are loving bananas. I know this is a weird nitpick but like everyone has some weird gradient where the bottom half of their faces got sunburnt

like I feel it's supposed to be blush? but it goes down to their chin so it looks weird imo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Your Persona can be higher level than Joker, for example.

Oh yeah, I thought you were referring to Joker himself.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Moltrey posted:

My biggest problem with Soejima faces is that their tans are loving bananas. I know this is a weird nitpick but like everyone has some weird gradient where the bottom half of their faces got sunburnt
like I feel it's supposed to be blush? but it goes down to their chin so it looks weird imo

I think it might be more of a Lighting thing, but Soejima just shoots everybody directly in the eyes with his his intensity beam of laser light.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I have too many active social links :negative: Early July: Sun rank. 3, Moon rank 3, Fortune rank 1, they all want me to spend time with them the same evening. What should I prioritize? I don't have a Fortune persona. Can't recall seeing anyone in the battles. :confused:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Can someone explain the solitary confinement for personas to me? Is it worth it?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You put a Persona in, and it takes (11 - Arcana Confidant Rank) days for it to learn a random resistance skill.

I only ever used it for one persona in the course of the whole game. If you have a favorite strong persona that only has one weakness, you can train them in between palaces to cover that weakness

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's really nice for things like Girimekhala that have a bunch of resistances but one weakness, and it seems biased toward covering the weakness as opposed to hitting a different element. Also if you leave the persona in too long it disappears but the twins call you on the phone the day that will happen to remind you so it's no real risk.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's also a learned skill as opposed to changing the persona's attributes, so you can pass that resistance along when you fuse it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Can someone explain the solitary confinement for personas to me? Is it worth it?
From memory: After a certain number of in-game days of continuous solitary confinement the persona will learn a passive defence skill for a damage type or a status ailment. The passive will be normally be Resist or Evade (X), but it will be Null or Repel (X) if you've unlocked Isolation. It is generally strongly biased towards elements that the Persona is weak against (unless they already have a skill related to that weakness, I think?).

The confined persona still counts as a persona you have for the purpose of social links, so there's really no reason to ever not have a persona in solitary unless you're actually in a dungeon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PirateBob posted:

I have too many active social links :negative: Early July: Sun rank. 3, Moon rank 3, Fortune rank 1, they all want me to spend time with them the same evening. What should I prioritize? I don't have a Fortune persona. Can't recall seeing anyone in the battles. :confused:

Sun is only available on Sundays and goes away a month before every other s link. Fortune has an ability that helps you with maxing other s links

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Holy gently caress I hate anubises

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

priotize sun, he's only available on sunday, ranks up every time, and goes away early on.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NRVNQSR posted:

From memory: After a certain number of in-game days of continuous solitary confinement the persona will learn a passive defence skill for a damage type or a status ailment. The passive will be normally be Resist or Evade (X), but it will be Null or Repel (X) if you've unlocked Isolation. It is generally strongly biased towards elements that the Persona is weak against (unless they already have a skill related to that weakness, I think?).

The confined persona still counts as a persona you have for the purpose of social links, so there's really no reason to ever not have a persona in solitary unless you're actually in a dungeon.

Probably also don't put them in before exam so you don't get them deleted due to the game skipping several days.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rirse posted:

Probably also don't put them in before exam so you don't get them deleted due to the game skipping several days.

That's kind of a weird, dumb mechanic. Like you can argue that late fees on DVDs or contacts/hangouts being unavailable because it's raining adds to verisimilitude and immersion, but that's just kind of a "gotcha" that doesn't seem to have any practical purpose.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Sun is only available on Sundays and goes away a month before every other s link. Fortune has an ability that helps you with maxing other s links

Thanks!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You should pay attention to your teachers when they tell you that exams are coming up!

Also in real life :eng101:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Rirse posted:

Has anyone actually had this happen? At one point I had a persona deep in lockdown when I was waylaid by two weeks of inescapable plot, and the twins just called me on the first day I got control back so I assumed it cheated in your favor in those situations.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

my knowledge is 5 I don't need to study poo poo anymore

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NRVNQSR posted:

Has anyone actually had this happen? At one point I had a persona deep in lockdown when I was waylaid by two weeks of inescapable plot, and the twins just called me on the first day I got control back so I assumed it cheated in your favor in those situations.

That probably means it won't happen unless you ignore the Twins.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

slev posted:

my knowledge is 5 I don't need to study poo poo anymore

Meets up with Tower after obtaining Knowledge 5:

"Hey kid, I'ma computer! Stop all the downloadin'!"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

priotize sun, he's only available on sunday, ranks up every time, and goes away early on.

When exactly does Yoshida go away? I want to make sure I don't miss him by putting him off on an NG+ or something. Is it November or December?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Harrow posted:

When exactly does Yoshida go away? I want to make sure I don't miss him by putting him off on an NG+ or something. Is it November or December?

Mid-November

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Mona getting killed was my 250th navigation line and that makes me so happy.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Saint Freak posted:

Mona getting killed was my 250th navigation line and that makes me so happy.

I got the 250th navigation line on the final boss about one round before it died. That was surprising to see pop up with the usual "cannont take screenshot at this time" message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

It was this. Makoto is definitely slumming by hanging out with your weird crowd. I am not slut shaming Ann, who is awesome.