Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Remember the glory days of the star citizen thread , crobberts and co cruising around in a porsche cayenne looking like a giant toddler at the wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

The Titanic posted:

Ryan Archer was a CIG artist who did a lot of their promotional material and magazine stuff. What he did though was literally take either other people's art, or pictures, and just trace them. Not even use them as a reference, but actually just trace them; sometimes also just cut up the arms and legs in Photoshop to reposition them. Then he had the nerve to write:

By
Ryan
Archer

On them in some sort of ms paint looking addition.

It was broadly suspected that he was the core "art thief" at CIG, but even after he left they are still continuing to steal art in this manner. So because of that, any time CIG is caught stealing some art, it's called "Archered".

Hope this helps, friend.

Thank ya kindly. You and the other guys with the links helped me catch up on it. I read thousands of pages over the years and the one time I decide to skip some I miss a solid CIG being masters of the business world reference.

I remember them ripping off art. Just never knew we had a name to it to praise for his "work smarter not harder" abilities.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

The Titanic posted:

I can confirm he's a lawyer, because his law office is across the hall from my law office where I practice law. Sometimes we do lunch and talk about important litigations and defendants and law.

And we go to Starbucks so you know we are very legit.

I can also confirm as I was the $20,000 conference table in their meeting room. They sold me to CIG because they realized that studded jagged metal isn't conducive to actually working on.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/855530018981773313
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/855888094452740098
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/855888336480817152
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/855893485966307328

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

quote:

Gus might not have been the best mechanic in the system, but he was honest, fair and hardworking. That’s why I was stunned and saddened when he confided in me that he needed to close the shop. I asked him why and Gus, being a proud man, initially joked the whole thing off. Instead, he tried talking about how thankful he was that he could finally get some good fishing in, but I knew that wasn’t the reason. Turns out the answer was staring me in the face the entire time, and I didn’t even notice it.

Two years ago a brand spanking new, Xi’an-owned CTR station opened nearby. I passed by it on my daily commute, but never stopped because Gus was my guy. Unfortunately for Gus, many of his other regulars weren’t as loyal. Before he knew it, business had slowed to a trickle, and Gus couldn’t cover his operating costs. He laid off his few employees, saved credits wherever he could, but it still wasn’t enough. The only thing Gus could do to avoid sinking into debt was close up shop and find another way to support his family.

Gus’s story is just one example of how shifts in UEE trade policy are having a devastating effect on the Citizens and civilians of this Empire. After the recent announcement of HuXa, the proposed Human-Xi’an trade agreement, I fear that stories like Gus’s will only become more and more common, and Xi’an businesses will continue to push out small, family-run operations.

So, I decided to sit down and read HuXa in its entirety, all 10,000-plus pages of it, to grasp exactly how it would affect our economy. After weeks researching the bill, I was only more confused than when I had started. That first night after I finished it, I couldn’t even sleep. My head was spinning from all the questions I still had. HuXa is far from the first piece of legislation that I’ve read and analyzed, but it’s easily the most incomprehensible, a fact I find extremely worrying — and so should you.

quote:

Lars: In the spirit of all the talk around the HuXa treaty stuff, I watched the new Xi’an co-financed comedy Strange and Stranger, about two brothers who are trying to track down the Freelancer they grew up in after their parents’ death.

Daisy: And?

Lars: My biggest takeaway is that, despite every trailer stating the opposite, there is no way this movie can be considered a comedy. The brothers are two of the most unlikeable people you could be forced to spend two hours with and I couldn’t care less if they reconciled with their past or not. That being said, the young Xi’an T.ōng really stole the film for me. Played by newcomer Nyalā Yimm, the few scenes we spent running around with her on Indra 1a were almost worth struggling through the rest. I want a whole story just focusing on her world. The way she portrayed the sadness over leaving her mother’s family-line in sharp contrast to the freedom she felt being on her own was fantastic. A really awesome look at some of the unique culture that has sprung up there recently and at what these Xi’an go through when they give up their house.

Daisy: There was some controversy on the Xi’an side concerning her character, right?

Lars: Oh yeah, giving up your family is a huge deal for Xi’an, so there were a lot of important people in their government arguing that this film glamorized it too much. I guess the compromise was the Xi’an who backed it get to keep the profits, but the film won’t be screened in Xi’an systems at all.

Daisy: It’s so funny. As soon as I hear a vid is banned somewhere I always want to see it more.

Lars: To be honest, I’d just wait until someone releases an edit of only the T.ōng scenes.

Daisy: All right, we’re going to take a break for a quick word from our Shine-supplied sponsor.

Lars: When Spectrum Spectator returns, we’re going to discuss the latest episode of The Avenger.

Daisy: Alexi Dario finally comes to terms with the fact that his long-lost brother is not only alive but may have been the one who sabotaged his ship, while Lars and I come to terms with the fact that this show is somehow still being made. So, make sure to stick around.

quote:

Same poo poo that’s in Thampi’s system is in the lockbox. Here’s what I’ve dug up so far on E’tâm.

It’s a Xi’an drug, goes by the street names ‘Flow,’ ‘blinder’ or ‘ticktock’ by Humans. Side effects include hyper awareness, cognitive enhancement and hyper focus, so it’s become popular among students and workers.

Recently, there’s been an increasing number of cases involving E’tâm in Corel. Most involve people so engrossed in a task that they neglect to eat, sleep or take care of other basic bodily functions, thus prompting a call to authorities from a friend or relative in an effort to get that person help.

So far, no other cases quite like Thampi’s have popped up, but I’ll keep looking. Let’s hope this is an isolated incident.

Freddy Aquilar
Assistant Section Chief
Office of the Advocacy
New Junction, Lo, Corel

Highlights from the last month of "Spectrum Dispatch".

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

MinorInconvenience posted:

Real lawyers only drink the Unicorn Frappuccinos.

slain drinking something so pure and defenceless delicious to save yourself, you will have but a half-life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood sweetness touches your lips :ohdear:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

CIG take in another $408,000 in the last 24 hours (according to the tracker).

Some really dumb people buying a lot of snake oil it the last 24 hours. (if CIG tracker is to be believed)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Kosumo posted:

CIG take in another $408,000 in the last 24 hours (according to the tracker).

Some really dumb people buying a lot of snake oil it the last 24 hours. (if CIG tracker is to be believed)

This is literally unbelievable. If it's true, there is an untapped and unprecedented market of wealthy morons just waiting for another new impossible dream. We got some smart people here. Can't we come up with the next big scam to suck money out of the veritable army of idiots that CIG has uncovered?

KiowaChief
Jul 12, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Not a hate sub guys.

GreenElephant
Mar 22, 2016

I have another question for the technologically inclined, if one would indulge me. I was reading about how the frame rates in the PU are poo poo because of the crappy (but they are fixing it!) networking code. Backers seem to think that the netcode rewrite will fix this. Is that... possible? In my limited understanding, I wouldn't think the frame rate would be tied to the netcode. Sure, if the server lag is bad you'd see poo poo blinking around and perhaps be unable to interact with some stuff. But would that really affect your computer's frame rate?

I did some tests a while back and I don't think "netcode" is the main issue with the ridiculously bad fps and CIG would rather users not know that it's actually a combination of factors that are not subject to a single magical fix.

You can unplug the network cable and the FPS remains the same. And not since Doom should a bad ping affect your frame rate anyway. (even if the game chose to wait for data and froze the game logic on purpose, the frozen game could still render at 144 fps)

A major part of the problem seems to be the game is CPU bound when many objects are in the PU - the true slow down is probably because they are lacking a kind of "physics lod" and are doing client physics calculations on every player, every ship, no matter how far away which is probably horribly inefficient.

Local client physics operating on remote players isn't uncommon as you don't want dead reckoning/prediction from a last known vector to be putting players and ships through walls, so clients do local processing to guess and then correct it when they get the real, authoritative packets from the server. (smoothly lerping it into the client's own prediction when possible to hide a jarring jump back)

However, if you sloppily leave this "FULL ON" all the time with 30+ badly optimized objects to simulate (the most costly probably being when people are walking on a surface, or a ship with many contact points that is touching stuff) it really adds up. Now add slow graphic rendering on top of that...

Why haven't they done serious profiling, located the costliest mistakes and corrected them years ago?

Well, as one CIG employee presciently put it back in 2013...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=astDHngLzyk&t=2024s

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Enchanted Hat posted:

I'm surprised they don't do this more blatantly, actually. Just make regular large increases to the prices of old ships to make old backers feel like smart investors, while pumping out new, cheaper concept ships for new customers.

They already do this. Everyone was buying Banu Merchantmans at the last holiday sale because they were speculating that it will be the last time before a big price increase. Citizens are very proactive about maximising the return on their spaceship portfolios.

It is why the whole convoluted melting/upgrade system exists in the first place. Melting down ships into credits, purchasing upgrade tokens, and 'undervalued' spaceship exist so that citizens can play pretend spaceship investor. They would only have a fraction of the funding if it were just a regular shop where every ship was for sale, at a fixed price. There is a obvious reason why ship manufacturers have the most fleshed out lore so far, and why the ship marketplace is gamified.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus posted:

Today

January 2017

Post-CitizenCon

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I was sick most of this week, so I'm glad to come back and see that CIG decided to just dump all remaining goodwill in a pile and torch it before their next round of delays. That takes some loving dedication to the art of incompetence, even before they hosed up with the Hello Kitty ripoff poo poo. If you are still somehow tied financially into this shitshow and read this post just get a refund holy god. Star Citizen is beyond saving but maybe just maybe a little of your money might be.

KiowaChief posted:

Not a hate sub guys.

These guys are gonna be chasing Derek for decades after Star Citizen, writing angry comments to prospective retirement homes Derek tweets about thinking of moving to, to warn them about the toxic game-killer who still hasn't released LoD on his way to ruin the community.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

I can confirm this as true as I used to be a homeless guy out on the street between their offices and Starbucks.

I can confirm it was Pgabz as I doxx him to sign a blank napkin that I was going to turn into the Album cover of Solsbury Hill.

I too can confirm that he was with The Titanic for has they where returning from lunch I placed a ice cube on the side walk to which she promptly ran over to, yelled out "ICEBERG", grazed along it, stuck her bum up in the air and proceed to go down.

I am no longer homeless as I was told by a 3.0 Jesus patch, that was lost, that the whole world is my home.

I remember this moment. It was a very cold, chilling moment but I just can't not hit ice. It's like my X-Men super power. I'm glad you're no longer homeless, friend. I hope me buying those magazines you kept selling helped out.

You should probably start to collect SC stuff and make shrines and begin cataloging all things SC. I understand this is the adult thing to do for a video game that you believe saved you, as opposed to any one of a million other factors.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TrustmeImLegit posted:

So that thread with 700 posts and 4k upvotes dogging CIGs marketing got "autodeleted" huh

Oopsy daisy! :)

If these guys could just get on the Spectrum with these important topics we could make it vanish moderate it properly. We should probably just close the Reddit group.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

AP posted:

2.6.3 - STAR MARINE - BALLISTIC RIFLE HAS SOMETHING COVERING SIGHTS.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 I load up the game and sometimes this is at the end of my rifle.
2 Issue can go away when picking up new ballistic rifles.
3 Issue sometimes hapens after death.

ACTUAL RESULT
It adds something at the end of a Ballistic rifle that interferes with sights making it difficult to fire. No other effect.

EXPECTED RESULT
Nothing should be blocking the sights on the Ballistic riffle but iron sights.

Yup, definitely looks like the magazine for the rifle is going straight through the muzzle. loving up the one thing this game engine was made for.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Oopsy daisy! :)

If these guys could just get on the Spectrum with these important topics we could make it vanish moderate it properly. We should probably just close the Reddit group.

When you think about it, Sandi's guerilla marketing dollars would be better spent paying Lowtax many many :10bux: in order for CIG to supply their own impartial mods for this subforum close this thread and permaban all its posters :v:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Making the MMO perform acceptably well with a couple of dozen people in an instance relegated to stretch goal :vince: CIG comes up with the greatest poo poo

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

We got some smart people here. Can't we come up with the next big scam to suck money out of the veritable army of idiots that CIG has uncovered?

I'm not one of them, but I want in. Maybe I can be VP of marketing.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

here's also a neat video about how bad the server side things are for SC right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akwVVi6weKQ

Summary for people who don't want to watch this (the first 8 minutes is a "Basics" explanation):

Using Amazon cloud servers for back end, but only the one in Virginia, no matter where you are in the world.

Refresh rate from server to client is ~30 updates per second. This is about half of what a good 2017 FPS should do.

The packet size of server->client updates is so large that it gets fragmented into 3 packets per update. This is highly unusual.

All response test results had to be adjusted downward by ~100ms because the tests were conducted in Amsterdam, so there was additional lead time just getting to the virginia servers and back.

Gunfire is actually reasonably comparable to other FPS games- avg. 70ms lag

Player movement, on the other hand, takes 370 ms to show up

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

TheAgent posted:

[...]because their "space" is just one just big underwater crysis map

Is that as terrible an idea as it sounds? I'm not a programmer, but it just sounds like bad engineering.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

This is literally unbelievable. If it's true, there is an untapped and unprecedented market of wealthy morons just waiting for another new impossible dream. We got some smart people here. Can't we come up with the next big scam to suck money out of the veritable army of idiots that CIG has uncovered?

Make the dogs doobie
This is a lawyer

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

EggsAisle posted:

Is that as terrible an idea as it sounds? I'm not a programmer, but it just sounds like bad engineering.
The bubbles coming from Gary Oldman's mouth were totally a feature.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

The bubbles coming from Gary Oldman's mouth were totally a feature.
This was one of the greatest finds of the thread. God drat

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

GreenElephant posted:

I did some tests a while back and I don't think "netcode" is the main issue with the ridiculously bad fps and CIG would rather users not know that it's actually a combination of factors that are not subject to a single magical fix.

You can unplug the network cable and the FPS remains the same. And not since Doom should a bad ping affect your frame rate anyway. (even if the game chose to wait for data and froze the game logic on purpose, the frozen game could still render at 144 fps)

A major part of the problem seems to be the game is CPU bound when many objects are in the PU - the true slow down is probably because they are lacking a kind of "physics lod" and are doing client physics calculations on every player, every ship, no matter how far away which is probably horribly inefficient.

Local client physics operating on remote players isn't uncommon as you don't want dead reckoning/prediction from a last known vector to be putting players and ships through walls, so clients do local processing to guess and then correct it when they get the real, authoritative packets from the server. (smoothly lerping it into the client's own prediction when possible to hide a jarring jump back)

However, if you sloppily leave this "FULL ON" all the time with 30+ badly optimized objects to simulate (the most costly probably being when people are walking on a surface, or a ship with many contact points that is touching stuff) it really adds up. Now add slow graphic rendering on top of that...

Why haven't they done serious profiling, located the costliest mistakes and corrected them years ago?

This is a loving golden response. Thank you.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

GreenElephant posted:

lmao thanks for this

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Arcade posted:

I'm not one of them, but I want in. Maybe I can be VP of marketing.

If you like men that look like a thumb this might be easy cause if you want in you just gotta let one in you. Fetish porn past a plus.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Spatial posted:

This was one of the greatest finds of the thread. God drat

This sounds hilarious. Anybody got a link handy?

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Spatial posted:

lmao thanks for this

Star Citizen: We're Not Getting Anything Done!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

This sounds hilarious. Anybody got a link handy?
Somebody had a frame-by-frame here. I only have the original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk&t=113s

Give me a few minutes and I'll make a slowmo gif. :v:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

speech_bubble.gif

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

SC MODS.

State/County Municipal Offender Data System.

SCMODS.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Spatial posted:

speech_bubble.gif

There must be some (idiot-)savant geniuses here to spot that kind of poo poo. Wow.

And it occurs to me that the whole speech is just Croberts trying to make Hollywood love him again, huh. Wing Commander II: Autistic Boogaloo.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

There must be some (idiot-)savant geniuses here to spot that kind of poo poo. Wow.
I know right. At first I thought someone photoshopped it in as a joke about levels being underwater.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Star Citizen: We're Not Getting Anything Done!

Star Citizen: On Fire and Exploding All Over The Sky

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
r/Mirificus