Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
lol I was wondering if anyone was willing to step up to the plate and defend selling books you're going to immediately obsolete

e: hitting someone for being unemployed seems not cool though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That's basically exactly what happened with End Times and AOS, right?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Its point for point what happened. I was there man there were like explosions an stuff.

Kidding aside big model releases, splat books reased, and then welcome to AoS. Everything you bought not worth a drat. Because ppl outside of small groups really do not hold to old game editions like D&D grogs clinging to 3.5 etc.

If its what you like go you but I don't see pick up games if old anything.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Exactly.

It is amazing.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

i mean i guess it's nasty if you are completely unplugged from absolutely anything to do with warhammer except buying poo poo? I feel bad for any actual kids who bought gathering storm but everyone else knew exactly what they were getting.

e: if they're like the ET books they're mainly fluff and art books anyway, the rules were a pamphlet compared to the fluff and instantly on ebay for tenbux.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There were new people in the 40k thread in the last couple of months told that now was a grea time to buy in. Anyone who said wait and see was given a lot of eye rolling.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
A guy just PM'd me about this GW poo poo I'm getting rid of saying he was just about to get into 40k. I explained 8th was about to drop and he should just get that, but I didn't have the heart to scream "play anything else" at him. Imagine how goddamn angry you'd be if you got this and six months later it was all useless.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

if there actually are 40kers crying about this on the internet then gimme some quotes because that does sound hilarious

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Saint Drogo posted:

if there actually are 40kers crying about this on the internet then gimme some quotes because that does sound hilarious

The 40k thread has gone fairly quiet. I hope Monday morning is good.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Ashcans posted:

I would be surprised if anything was meaningfully different from AoS aside from the fluff being somewhat less-apocalyptic. They might be smart enough to avoid writing joke rules to demean the players of the "legacy" armies but I'm not betting the farm on that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saint Drogo posted:

The only people who seem to think this is a bad thing are Death thread guys crowing about how this is just like Age of Sigmar

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

The only people who seem to think this is a bad thing are Death thread guys crowing about how this is just like Age of Sigmar
i mean it is, if age of sigmar was widely expected and wanted.

I understand wanting to do the sigmar thing again because it was a hilarious shitshow but so far there's no crying and a whole lotta :smug:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

e: hitting someone for being unemployed seems not cool though?

i wouldnt bring it up if the poster in question wasnt a total cockbag

also interested to see what they do with these new super marines. are they gonna phase out the old kits or have em both for sale? the mind boggles at the possibilities to get all the marine players to double dip

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

It never ceases to weird me out how people talk about GW getting "better" due to the various meaningless things they've been doing without ever addressing that they make bad rules that are as random and lovely and non-tactical as possible. Like I'm taking crazy pills or something. I'd legit put up with their stupid bullshit and buy GW products if they had actual game designers that could make something on par with the good board game designers or something like Warmahordes or X-Wing or almost literally anything else. They do terrible business and community stuff, but above all else they make bad games.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

also interested to see what they do with these new super marines. are they gonna phase out the old kits or have em both for sale? the mind boggles at the possibilities to get all the marine players to double dip

You're getting weirdly personal about warhammer. Have you considered loving not.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Oh, you're one of those goons. oval office.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

40k getting a massive rules rework is a good thing imo.

Too bad it's GW doing the reworking.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

40k getting a massive rules rework is a good thing imo.

Too bad it's GW doing the reworking.

agreed. im mildly interested to see what exactly they do. if it isnt total dogshit, i might buy some of their overpriced poo poo

ps lmbo @ this

TTerrible posted:

You're getting weirdly personal about warhammer. Have you considered loving not.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Oh, you're one of those goons. oval office.

:nallears:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

agreed. im mildly interested to see what exactly they do. if it isnt total dogshit, i might buy some of their overpriced poo poo

ps lmbo @ this

:nallears:

Cool, I guess. We're all here to laugh about little plastic dolls. Is there any need to be that spiteful?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saint Drogo posted:

i mean it is, if age of sigmar was widely expected and wanted.

Age of Sigmar:
    invalidated all existing books
    completely destroyed the universe
    killed almost all the existing characters
    radically changed the gameplay, from rank and file to 40k style
    had all the existing factions take a back seat to terrible new factions, the Sigmarines and the bloodbound

so far, 8th edition

And they haven't blown up the universe, haven't killed any characters, and the logo for 8th is Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines, so no new terrible factions front and center.

If you guys think this is Age of Sigmar, then I'm not sure what wouldn't qualify as Age of Sigmar for you.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

TTerrible posted:

Cool, I guess. We're all here to laugh about little plastic dolls. Is there any need to be that spiteful?

youre getting weirdly defensive about me lambasting your tryhard troll buddy. weird how yall like to use economics to disparage your chosen games critics, but when the shoes on the other foot its crossing a line or something?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

youre getting weirdly defensive about me lambasting your tryhard troll buddy. weird how yall like to use economics to disparage your chosen games critics, but when the shoes on the other foot its crossing a line or something?

Ok :)

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

hmm, looks like all that poo poo people here were predicting gw would do, gw decided to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDYBL70eReo

I enjoyed the fact that this had 40k views when watched it.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Gumdrop Larry posted:

It never ceases to weird me out how people talk about GW getting "better" due to the various meaningless things they've been doing without ever addressing that they make bad rules that are as random and lovely and non-tactical as possible. Like I'm taking crazy pills or something. I'd legit put up with their stupid bullshit and buy GW products if they had actual game designers that could make something on par with the good board game designers or something like Warmahordes or X-Wing or almost literally anything else. They do terrible business and community stuff, but above all else they make bad games.

PP raped my Skorne for like 8 months, they have some odd design ideas too when they switch editions.

Not defending GW here for their sometimes retarded ideas, but lots of other game companies do poo poo things too.

GW needs to learn to actually keep their mouths shut until they have something to show off so people don't lose their minds

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Fsmhunk posted:

This thread is still terrible, but I find it inpossible to insult when the Star Citizen thread exists. How did this thread present Blood Bowl coming back as bad, by the way?

Only three teams at launch and only one released since and there were some divided opinions on the models. Some people were annoyed at the new scale (why finally make the board bigger to let the pieces fit if you're just going to make the pieces bigger too?), some didn't like the poses (dwarfs leaping over beards), and some didn't like the balls being part of the sculpts (how do you distinguish who has the ball?).

The rules in the box were only half the game and you had to buy a supplement to get the campaign rules or lists for teams other than orcs of humans, and even then it was only eight more teams. GW did release a PDF of the other team rules for free, but it meant that what had previously been a single book was now three separate documents, two of which you had to pay for separately.

It wasn't the worst, but it was needlessly expensive and annoyingly cut into pieces.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nash posted:

I enjoyed the fact that this had 40k views when watched it.

i like to think im responsible for a small chunk of those views :)

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Black_Nexus posted:

PP raped my Skorne for like 8 months, they have some odd design ideas too when they switch editions.

Not defending GW here for their sometimes retarded ideas, but lots of other game companies do poo poo things too.

GW needs to learn to actually keep their mouths shut until they have something to show off so people don't lose their minds

For sure PP's not perfect, nor are other game makers. But like in that particular example, even if they're struggling a little to balance all the plates with the edition change, it doesn't invalidate the underpinning well-made game rules. GW seems to just take a fundamentally different approach than most other companies and place almost 100% of the focus on "the hobby" instead of the actual gameplay, and while I personally enjoy both elements of modeling/paining alongside actually playing games, if you twisted my arm there's zero question that the latter is profoundly more important. No improvements they make really mean anything until they address that they're a bunch of jamokes that don't know how to design a game well and with modern sensibilities.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Gumdrop Larry posted:

For sure PP's not perfect, nor are other game makers. But like in that particular example, even if they're struggling a little to balance all the plates with the edition change, it doesn't invalidate the underpinning well-made game rules. GW seems to just take a fundamentally different approach than most other companies and place almost 100% of the focus on "the hobby" instead of the actual gameplay, and while I personally enjoy both elements of modeling/paining alongside actually playing games, if you twisted my arm there's zero question that the latter is profoundly more important. No improvements they make really mean anything until they address that they're a bunch of jamokes that don't know how to design a game well and with modern sensibilities.

They've spent the last six months hearing how brilliant the AoS rules are because they released the GH and added points into the system and so they're going to import a bunch of those rules into 40k without acknowledging how utterly garbage the AoS mechanics actually are, points or no points. And their fans will nod along and say, "I was skeptical of AoS at first, but the General's Handbook really changed all that," when all the GH did was let AoS cross the minimum threshold necessary to even be considered a game. But because stats are presented as target numbers rather than as comparative values, they'll act like that's modern design.

The guys at my FLGS are already saying they're happy they won't have to lug around 20 books any more, but I've seen them play AoS and it's still 20 books. You're going to have the core rule PDF and then half a dozen other PDFs with your faction and alliance rules. Since every model in the game is going to have bespoke rules, you won't even be able to print a shorthand list that references the Universal Special Rules like you can for Mantic games. If you print a custom list for just your army, it's still going to be a six or seven page document in addition to the core rules and scenario rules and whatever else you need.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Age of Sigmar:
    completely destroyed the universe
    killed almost all the existing characters
    radically changed the gameplay, from rank and file to 40k style
    had all the existing factions take a back seat to terrible new factions, the Sigmarines and the bloodbound

so far, 8th edition

And they haven't blown up the universe, haven't killed any characters, and the logo for 8th is Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines, so no new terrible factions front and center.

If you guys think this is Age of Sigmar, then I'm not sure what wouldn't qualify as Age of Sigmar for you.
This is not EXACTLY Age of Sigmar so therefore no comparisons may be made? Hahahaha, gently caress off with that.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Its a pattern. Patterns are not always identical but learning from them is what people do. Or don't in GW cases.

An yeah those are some mental gymnastics people are doing. I think this is the denial stage.

Bad edit: fat finger posting.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Safety Factor posted:

This is not EXACTLY Age of Sigmar so therefore no comparisons may be made? Hahahaha, gently caress off with that.

I think fluff-wise, we're going to see more continuity than there was between Warhammer and AoS, and I honestly think that's all that GW fans care about. If they wanted rules that weren't a dumpster fire, they would have left a long time ago. So for them this really is the best thing possible.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

remains to be seen how the uber marine poo poo will play out

if in a years time jimmy wants to buy a new tac squad for his preexisting army, will he be able to order a box of guys from gw that are small enough???

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Safety Factor posted:

It's a lot more comparable to that time GW put out a new edition of 40k, than it is to Age of Sigmar. Or like when the U.S. Constitution replaced the Articles of Confederation. Let's go with that. loving lol at GW, demanding their models be paid for in money instead of whiskey

remains to be seen how the uber marine poo poo will play out

if in a years time jimmy wants to buy a new tac squad for his preexisting army, will he be able to order a box of guys from gw that are small enough???

it seems pretty clear to me that they are replacing the old tac marines with new tac marines that are taller, mainly because they're standing more upright.

I do not consider that to be a change to 40k equivalent to Age of Sigmar replacing Fantasy

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's a lot more comparable to that time GW put out a new edition of 40k, than it is to Age of Sigmar. Or like when the U.S. Constitution replaced the Articles of Confederation. Let's go with that. loving lol at GW, demanding their models be paid for in money instead of whiskey

it seems pretty clear to me that they are replacing the old tac marines with new tac marines that are taller, mainly because they're standing more upright.

I do not consider that to be a change to 40k equivalent to Age of Sigmar replacing Fantasy

Except the change is going to be bringing 40k in line with how AoS plays, so even if the universe isn't blow up, the rules are still going to be loving terrible.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

so i guess the bolters arent powersquatting anymore too huh?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

so i guess the bolters arent powersquatting anymore too huh?

Yeah, they've got new bolters too. But they're the new tac marines. They got arrows on their shoulders

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, they've got new bolters too. But they're the new tac marines. They got arrows on their shoulders

yes. perhaps you misunderstand my point. jimmy in my example already has a nice imperial fists army, 2000 points worth. but next year he decides he wants another tac squad. the question is, will he be able to order a box of tac marines from gw that are the same size as his preexisting models, or will all they have on offer be the huge fuckers in that photo?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

yes. perhaps you misunderstand my point. jimmy in my example already has a nice imperial fists army, 2000 points worth. but next year he decides he wants another tac squad. the question is, will he be able to order a box of tac marines from gw that are the same size as his preexisting models, or will all they have on offer be the huge fuckers in that photo?

I get your point, but it's not like they haven't changed tactical marines before. The question is less about the models being mismatched than the new models having different stats. If it's the former, whatever, armies have always had a mix of pieces from different eras. If it's the latter, that's going to be a fun shitshow.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Good question. On the one hand, they might be obsoleted by the new models, and even if not, they'll definitely look worse. On the other hand, GW just redid the kit fairly recently (within the last 2-3 years iirc), so they may just keep selling it regardless.

It's interesting to see the new models mixed with old Devastators in the new images. I suspect the new marines will be a separate unit and not just the new Tac squad, so as to make them as attractive a purchase for marine players as possible. If they were just replacement tac marines, it'd be easy to just be like "no thanks, I'm full up on generic tactical marines"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
mixed armor/equipment stuff is easily handwaved away through the fluff, but these new guys look to stand a head taller than the current ones. thats a pretty significant difference

• Locked thread