Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

These Journey to the West adaptions are getting out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Lizard Combatant posted:

A Serious Man was great but I'm not surprised it didn't win.
sorry previous page i loving loved this movie lmao, i express my love of this movie whenever possible in hopes of a bit of it getting back to the coen brothers somehow, i think the problem was the target demographic of "typically cursed and unlucky jew who lives in an extremely isolated and claustrophobic moderate jewish enclave in a pretty redneck area" was just too small to rocket a movie to hit status but dammit i am in that demographic and it was great.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i saw it the day after it opened at a cinema in newtown sydney and the audience was in hysterics, there were about 40 of us, we barely took up the middle row of the cinema and i'm pretty sure we were the entire "rural jew" population of east australia

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
there's a bathurst jew, a mudgee jew
sometimes there's a
wollongong jew

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Erebus posted:

I was alerted to this show's existence by a promoted Twitter ad that basically said "did you know Albert Einstein was Horny" and that was pretty good at putting me off of ever watching it.

Are you unfamiliar with the famous internet video "Zwei Madchen, Einstein"?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jedit posted:

Are you unfamiliar with the famous internet video "Zwei Madchen, Einstein"?

:perfect:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

This is a better poster than those airbrushed-to-hell kimmy shmit posters and the
WORDS
WORDS
WORDS
WORDS
WORDS
WORDS
6 DAYS

posters

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Why is he holding a golden poop?

I am curious as hell about what that movie is about. Where do the elements in that poster come into the movie?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

From TV Tropes, because for some reason the only Wikipedia pages for the anime are in Japanese and Italian (?):

quote:

Chinyuki: Taro To Yukaina Nakama Tachi is a parody of Journey to the West, where an assassin by the name of Taro Yamada is trying to right his misdeeds by travelling with a monk. Taro's misdeeds were essentially assassinating tons of people and pooping on their graves. A monk saw him and cursed him into a baby-monkey-hybrid-thing. With the help of the Monk, Taro has to battle demons and other weird anomalies to help regain his human form.

Perfectly coiled poops are kind of a go-to standard in Japanese comedy, I think.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

because that's the only thing I could think of and that poster is stupid

hexwren fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 21, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The design of the posters are 100% "brown people gonna get shot hell yea"

But I think the quotes are strange for those images.. There's an obvious answer to them that seems to be the oppositve of what the campaign wants..

Or am I just so far left now that when faced with "should authorities face terrorism with negotiation or force" I choose the former and that makes me a bad guy?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

1980: "the pm wants to show how we deal with terrorism" <- *in a cool movie trailer voice*
1981–2058: "no terrorism in the uk or the commonwealth ever"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

*dust settles from firefight*

"Well, that was a bit of a bother. Spo' a tea mates?"

- Jamie Bell as Rusty Fireman, Sassy blue team leader

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Purple Frogman Team: "Bloody shite!"
ISIS: yes infidel, literally! *laughs convertedly & holds up a bag of spam eggs beans & shards of glass*

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Erebus posted:

From TV Tropes, because for some reason the only Wikipedia pages for the anime are in Japanese and Italian (?):

Perfectly coiled poops are kind of a go-to standard in Japanese comedy, I think.

I never would've guessed "assassin that pooped on graves", but at least I got the comedy part right.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Makes sense imo. Pooping on a grave = desecrating same.

You're a pretty lovely assassin if you don't destroy the possibility of a draugr or zombies or what not

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
In my experience British Counter Terrorism basically means arresting the wrong people, jailing them for decades and also maybe letting your deep cover agents murder other deep cover agents.

Oh and sometimes you let your deep cover agents sire entire families before pulling them and sticking the mothers with the bill bit they only really reserve that for animal rights groups.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shoehead posted:

In my experience British Counter Terrorism basically means arresting the wrong people, jailing them for decades and also maybe letting your deep cover agents murder other deep cover agents.

Oh and sometimes you let your deep cover agents sire entire families before pulling them and sticking the mothers with the bill bit they only really reserve that for animal rights groups.

well yeah

obvs the MI5 shouldnt pay child support like some kinda piece of poo poo govt agency

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Brumby

BRUMBY

:brumby:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Brumby

BRUMBY

:brumby:

A brumby is a breed of feral Australian horse, and its name stems from Indigenous Australian word for wild, which is pronounced "baroombi." But hey, "haha, look at the unfamiliar word from another vernacular, lol."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Vagabundo posted:

A brumby is a breed of feral Australian horse, and its name stems from Indigenous Australian word for wild, which is pronounced "baroombi." But hey, "haha, look at the unfamiliar word from another vernacular, lol."

Brumby is the dumbass australian honky version of a good, not stupid word.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vagabundo posted:

A: Brumby is a silly word
b: If the movie was called "The Silver Baroombi" then you could play that card, but it's impossible to be racist against white Australians.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Vagabundo posted:

Fine, but they still misspelled 'crow' :colbert:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Brumby is the dumbass australian honky version of a good, not stupid word.

It's the one that's in common usage. You may not have noticed, but different English-speaking parts of the world develop their own type of said language, often influenced by the local language, some of which gets absorbed into that dialect as a loanword.

Guy Goodbody posted:

b: If the movie was called "The Silver Baroombi" then you could play that card, but it's impossible to be racist against white Australians.

Literally no one has mentioned racism except for you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Vagabundo posted:

It's the one that's in common usage. You may not have noticed, but different English-speaking parts of the world develop their own type of said language, often influenced by the local language, some of which gets absorbed into that dialect as a loanword.

I don't give a poo poo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
"Oooh noo, someone is making fun of Canadians saying 'aboot', don't they know that it's just different vernacular??????????"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I love the cute word

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

"Oooh noo, someone is making fun of Canadians saying 'aboot', don't they know that it's just different vernacular??????????"

Accents are different from vernacular, you muppet.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Vagabundo posted:

Accents are different from vernacular, you muppet.

"Durr, someone made a joke aboot Canadians saying "eh" or calling napkins "serviettes" or calling soda "pop", I'd better defend their honour"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

"Durr, someone made a joke aboot Canadians saying "eh" or calling napkins "serviettes" or calling soda "pop", I'd better defend their honour"

It's not really what happened though, is it? But hey, keep comparing apples and oranges to your heart's content. Keep rockin' on, cool guy who doesn't give a poo poo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Vagabundo posted:

It's not really what happened though, is it? But hey, keep comparing apples and oranges to your heart's content. Keep rockin' on, cool guy who doesn't give a poo poo.

Gotta defend the sanctity of the word Brumby, which sounds like a eastern european knockoff of Gumby

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I love that someone decided "Brumby" was the hill they were gonna die on today

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I slept with some drongo bird when I made port in Sydney, and caught a hellfire case of Brumby. Was pissing devils daggers that fortnight, I can tell you.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

the wettest loving blanket

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Vagabundo posted:

This is the first time in history that anyone has ever made descriptive linguistics seem more hidebound and un-fun than prescriptive, so props, I guess

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I was watching a show about biker gangs and as soon as they mentioned Aussies call theirs "bikies" I instantly lost all respect or fear for them.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
*Longmont Potion Castle voice* uhhhh brumby

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Blomby Car 2: Brumby Bikies

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Toss anotha shrimp on the barby

Adbot