Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

This is why I keep telling my dad to stop reading slate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Total legalization of all drugs is right around the corner guys

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

JeffersonClay posted:

You see that I'm discussing this with two leftists who believe the false equivalency between Trump and Clinton justifies voting for Gary Johnson in a swing state, right? I'm not sure the burden on me is to prove they're not meaningless outliers.

I wouldn't really describe myself as a leftist.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

No, you've been making this claim for quite a while now. You need to back it up. I'm not really interested in someone's absurd excuses for voting for Gary "Hurrrr Aleppo?!" Johnson. I'm interested in why we should believe you when you claim that left-wing criticisms of Clinton hurt her significantly in the general election. I'm also interested in why the fault should be placed with the leftists who pointed out her painfully glaring flaws, instead of folks like you who insisted that those flaws were inconsequential.

There's a big difference between identifying Hillary's flaws and asserting those flaws mean there's no important difference between her and Trump. In the context of a binary choice between her and trump, those flaws really were inconsequential. Entertaining other viewpoints, particularly after the primary was decided, was actively harmful to the party. I think the centrist labor voters who are considering voting for smaller parties as a way to get Corbyn out are bad and dumb too. They really should just get over it and face the existential threat from the right.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

JeffersonClay posted:

There's a big difference between identifying Hillary's flaws and asserting those flaws mean there's no important difference between her and Trump. In the context of a binary choice between her and trump, those flaws really were inconsequential.

Oh, I agree. Clinton and Trump, fundamentally, are both neoliberals with a hard-on for cosmopolitan capitalism with minimal regulations.

JC is slowly coming along, folks! :D

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

stone cold posted:

so are you a decriminalize every drug libertarian, a taxes are the real slavery libertarian, children should be able to sell their labor libertarian, the south will rise again libertarian or what

i mean every option is super dumb but id like to know which flavor of dumb you are

e: forgot hoard gold and guns, that's my bad

Well poo poo, you've definitely convinced him!

E; refreshed the thread, oh dear you seem to have done the opposite of that, yikes!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I don't understand what's confusing you about this conversation.

There are a lot of posts like that from posters of an establishmentarian persuasion, and I'm also wondering what their loving deal is.

Like, generally you gotta win something before talking that poo poo. And even when you do you still shouldn't because the idea then becomes cementing that hold. Also: manners

It's bizarre.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Legalizing drugs without dismantling capitalism let's the pharmaceutical companies that created the opiate crisis push their shot even harder
What the gently caress are you talking about? What bullshit is this?

I'm skeptical. I'm pretty sure whatever you're trying to say here is vastly stupid. But I've never heard a defense of the drug war along the lines of "because capitalism still exists", so if you're up for it, :allears:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kilroy posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? What bullshit is this?

I'm skeptical. I'm pretty sure whatever you're trying to say here is vastly stupid. But I've never heard a defense of the drug war along the lines of "because capitalism still exists", so if you're up for it, :allears:

Opiate epidemic was caused by legal opiates :shrug:

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

What's you opinion on legalized alcohol?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Again, with JC telling Sanders voters here not to bother to vote for Abuela last year because she had in the bag, and people like Schumer talking about the white working class vote being irrelevant, it's hard to care about their stabbed in the back by leftists rhetoric now.

If the Democrat party is actively pushing away voters, it's their fault not the voters.

And Hillary/Mook themselves were guilty of this with the stuff that happened in Michigan.

Equating individual posters on an internet forum to actual politicians is insane and changing your vote because some poster annoyed you is loving stupid.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

Well poo poo, you've definitely convinced him!

E; refreshed the thread, oh dear you seem to have done the opposite of that, yikes!

:confused:

there's no point in trying to convince a libertarian of anything, they'll either a. realize how batshit and nonfunctional their ideology is on their own terms or b. forever double down and go the route of that dude in miami, stripping on stage at a convention and showing off their white supremacy tattoos

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

stone cold posted:

:confused:

there's no point in trying to convince a libertarian of anything, they'll either a. realize how batshit and nonfunctional their ideology is on their own terms or b. forever double down and go the route of that dude in miami, stripping on stage at a convention and showing off their white supremacy tattoos

And yet, somehow, some way... Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders persuaded me to vote for them. Weird.

Could it be that there is actually a way to appeal to independent voters?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Nahhhh. Chelsea 2020!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Call it what you want, either way it's irrelevant. The argument was that if the DNC overturned the popular vote and selected Bernie Sanders, all Clinton voters would fall in line because Trump is so bad that we don't have to worry about people spite protest voting.

Clearly this is not the case, it is actually easy for people who don't like what happened in the primary to rationalize a protest vote to "send a message" or tell themselves "my vote doesn't matter because everyone else in my state will do it right so I don't I have to" instead of helping to stop the Republican.

Oh yeah, for sure, there's no way in hell the DNC throwing out Hillary and making Sanders the candidate wouldn't be met with massive outrage (and rightfully so; even as a Sanders supporter that would have made me feel really dirty).

JeffersonClay posted:

You see that I'm discussing this with two leftists who believe the false equivalency between Trump and Clinton justifies voting for Gary Johnson in a swing state, right? I'm not sure the burden on me is to prove they're not meaningless outliers.

Uh, actually it kinda obviously is? Why in the world would you think it isn't?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 23, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Alienwarehouse posted:

Oh, I agree. Clinton and Trump, fundamentally, are both neoliberals with a hard-on for cosmopolitan capitalism with minimal regulations.

JC is slowly coming along, folks! :D

I guess it's not surprising that terrible opinions are comorbid with reading comprehension deficits.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

FuriousxGeorge posted:

And yet, somehow, some way... Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders persuaded me to vote for them. Weird.

once a libertarian voter always a libertarian voter

could it be we should appeal to the people who didn't vote instead of gold hoarding jrodes

i mean if you crunch the numbers between people who didn't vote versus people who voted third party, why should anybody pay attention to the john mcafee ayn rand fandies of america

like you voted for this

why should anybody take you seriously

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The only thing Sanders, Obama and Johnson have in common is a Y chromosome.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

ah yes, the Sanders > Libertarian voter, truly you are the Rational Independent that we should all strive to be.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

JeffersonClay posted:

I guess it's not surprising that terrible opinions are comorbid with reading comprehension deficits.

This stab-in-the-back falsehood and conspiracy theory you're promoting about leftists precipitating Hillary's (ahem, "Abuela") defeat has ugly historical ramifications to it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As FuriousxGeorge himself said, he doesn't consider himself a leftist. He seems more like the sort of voter who is just vaguely anti-establishment and willing to support anyone who gives that impression (though even under those circumstances I'm not sure why someone would vote Johnson instead of Stein; I mean, they're both awful, but Johnson is even worse than her).

edit: Generally speaking, there's a minority of Sanders supporters who aren't really leftists so much as they are the same sort of people who voted for Ron Paul. They don't really have a coherent ideology and just back whoever seems like they're an "outsider" candidate (I know Sanders isn't really an outsider, but some people still ended up with that impression).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 23, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

HannibalBarca posted:

ah yes, the Sanders > Libertarian voter, truly you are the Rational Independent that we should all strive to be.

"i support the good move of expansion of the state with regards to social policies, health care, education, etc, so i'm gonna pull the lever for the guy who's like if rick perry was a skosh dumber, like he loved citizens united dumb"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

FuriousxGeorge posted:

drat dude.

drat.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

For starters "legal opiates" is an odd way to describe it. They're not exactly freely available.

Moreover, we've also had "epidemics" of restricted drugs such as crack. Almost as if people are going to do drugs and prohibition is just an excuse to put the ones you don't like in jail.

JeffersonClay posted:

Maybe the problem isn't that literally every other poster here has a reading a comprehension problem, and more that you're utter poo poo at defending your posts. And maybe that's because you make a lot of indefensible garbage posts.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Alienwarehouse posted:

This stab-in-the-back falsehood and conspiracy theory you're promoting about leftists precipitating Hillary's (ahem, "Abuela") defeat has ugly historical ramifications to it.

Its not a falsehood to suggest you're promulgating the idea that there's no difference between the democrats and the republicans because that's exactly what you've been doing in this thread.

Ytlaya posted:

As FuriousxGeorge himself said, he doesn't consider himself a leftist. He seems more like the sort of voter who is just vaguely anti-establishment and willing to support anyone who gives that impression (though even under those circumstances I'm not sure why someone would vote Johnson instead of Stein; I mean, they're both awful, but Johnson is even worse than her).

He was a Bernie supporter and the narrative that there was no important difference between Trump and Clinton lead him to vote 3rd party in a swing state instead of listening to Sanders. Certainly most leftists did not believe or amplify that narrative, but some did and they helped Trump succeed.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yo if you were backing Sanders and then switched to Johnson you're dumb as poo poo hth.

I mean I'm sympathetic to those afflicted with the disease of libertarianism since I'm a recovering libertarian myself (clean for 10 years) but if you were on board with Sanders then switched to Johnson, you don't have any coherent politics to speak of. Not sure what you're doing in this thread.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

JeffersonClay posted:

Its not a falsehood to suggest you're promulgating the idea that there's no difference between the democrats and the republicans because that's exactly what you've been doing in this thread.

False. I said there is no fundamental difference between the two. Banks, defense contractors, and multinational corporations are content with both, hence why they throw millions of dollars at them.

JeffersonClay posted:

He was a Bernie supporter and the narrative that there was no important difference between Trump and Clinton lead him to vote 3rd party in a swing state instead of listening to Sanders. Certainly most leftists did not believe or amplify that narrative, but some did and they helped Trump succeed.

Again, false. Bernie voters wanted change. With Hillary, there was no change.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Krugman can't help himself

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-the-banks-should-be-broken-up-20160408

quote:

Paul Krugman wrote an op-ed in the New York Times today called "Sanders Over the Edge." He's been doing a lot of shovel work for the Hillary Clinton campaign lately, which is his right of course. The piece eventually devolves into a criticism of the character of Bernie Sanders, but it's his take on the causes of the '08 crash that really raises an eyebrow.

By way of making a criticism of the oft-repeated Sanders charge that the big banks need to be broken up, Krugman argues that banks were not "at the heart of the crisis."

This is Krugman's assessment of who was responsible:

"Predatory lending was largely carried out by smaller, non-Wall Street institutions like Countrywide Financial; the crisis itself was centered not on big banks but on 'shadow banks' like Lehman Brothers that weren't necessarily that big."

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Kilroy posted:

Yo if you were backing Sanders and then switched to Johnson you're dumb as poo poo hth.

Yep! I've seen a couple of cars that had Ron Paul 2012 Bumper Stickers next to Bernie 2016 Bumper Stickers and all that that tells me is that they are dumb as hell and don't understand Politics as anything more than a reality show with characters that they either like or hate.

(I say this as a lukewarm Clinton 16 supporter that, in retrospect, believes Bernie or probably any other Democratic candidate would have won)

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 23, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

jesus are we gonna pretend for example morgan wasn't leveraged to the hilt and had to get like 100+ billion usd from the fed

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Well that's a weird combination of votes that doesn't seem to make sense on its face! Why did you vote for these very-much-not-libertarians then, if you supposedly disagree with them so much?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Alienwarehouse posted:

I want change too, but a specific change. There are certain changes where I would prefer the status quo over the change, even if I'm dissatisfied with the status quo. Hillary represents keeping around a lot of poo poo that I don't like, but Trump represents a lot of new poo poo I dislike even more.

Honestly if this is a concept that you can't wrap your head around then you should probably stay the hell away from the polls on election day. Go worship whatever trickster god you pray to, instead.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Alienwarehouse posted:

Look, I'm just as much of a "Bernie would have won" guy as anyone else, but goddamn there's a difference between having Garland and Srinivasan on SCOTUS vs. having Gorsuch on there for 30 years until we're all old and grey.

Maybe the Clinton campaign should have emphasized that more. Hell, I'm not Robby Mook.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maarek posted:

Bernie Sanders is the most popular politician in America, not necessarily the most popular politician among the Democratic primary electorate.

Except he is because his favorability rating amongDemocrats is so astonishingly high I'm not going to even google it to avoid embarrassing you.

edit - I lied, I did google it

Everybody loves Bernie except a handful of crazy embittered neo-PUMAs who need to be set adrift on an iceberg before they lose more elections.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 23, 2017

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

The only thing Sanders, Obama and Johnson have in common is a Y chromosome.

Is CTR still bankrolling people ITT?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Insect Court posted:

Except he is because his favorability rating amongDemocrats is so astonishingly high I'm not going to even google it to avoid embarrassing you.

Everybody loves Bernie except a handful of crazy embittered neo-PUMAs who need to be set adrift on an iceberg before they lose more elections.

obamacare is more popular among democrats :laugh:

people are idiots

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

The Insect Court posted:

you're not wrong but also aren't you not allowed in d&d

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
what the hell did pelosi do to be so moderately liked?

i mean she's a loving baller cat herder but i thought everyone hated her guts

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I can't wait for Chelsea's candidacy

https://twitter.com/mattbruenig/status/856002248798810113

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Alienwarehouse posted:

lol

• Locked thread