Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Pick posted:

What's everybody's dream cel? What's the cel that's out there you dream of owning? Anybody? (Assuming you can't resell it for cash money)

a full body shot of Scrooge McDuck from Ducktales or the Christmas Carol short would be my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Pixeltendo posted:

a full body shot of Scrooge McDuck from Ducktales or the Christmas Carol short would be my jam.

:same:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Pick posted:

What's everybody's dream cel? What's the cel that's out there you dream of owning? Anybody? (Assuming you can't resell it for cash money)
One from Wizards, mainly Avatar confronting Blackwolf in the end. You know which part of it.

That or any from the Hanna Barbera action cartoons. I watched way to much of those as a child.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I want a cel from Toy Story.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

World Famous W posted:

One from Wizards, mainly Avatar confronting Blackwolf in the end. You know which part of it.

Not bad, and as good as you're likely to see in your life :tipshat:.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
My dream cels are the ones from How to Be a Detective of the silhouetted windows from the opening so I could frame and arrange the whole sequence on a wall.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This was someone's dream sketch that's for sure :shepface:

Glen does great pencil work though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

This was someone's dream sketch that's for sure :shepface:

Glen does great pencil work though.

Hedrigall posted:

Animation seems like a great career choice if you're into weird sex things

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh yeah, Secret of NIMH thoughts:

I love how quiet and careful a lot of the movie is. So much of the dialogue is spoken in hushed tones and it lets the animators do a lot with character during those moments. There's just great animation throughout. Jeremy the crow goes through so many facial expressions in just one scene (e.g.: where he notices the "sparkly" Mrs Brisby has). This movie oozes quality and care.

What a great cast too, both voice-actor-wise and character-wise. Even though Mrs Brisby was clearly the main character, the movie nonetheless felt like a great ensemble piece. I want to see so much more of these characters and this world. But... I've heard the DTV sequel is bad. Am I right in deciding to ignore it?

edit: Oh I found the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk40fCiofjs

JFC that looks awful :psyduck:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 23, 2017

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Titan A.E. isn't a great film, but I like the design of the setting and characters and wouldn't mind having a cel of it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hedrigall posted:

But... I've heard the DTV sequel is bad. Am I right in deciding to ignore it?

It's very mediocre-forgettably bad if it was it's own thing, but as a sequel to NIMH it's loving terrible. Lot of contradictions with what the rats were trying to achieve in the first film, and shoehorn an extremely cliche fantasy plot into a setting where it doesn't fit.

Like Fievel Goes West is actually good even if lighter in tone then American Tail, and the Land Before Time Sequels are banal, but Timmy to the Rescue is just bad for non-Bluth sequels to Bluth movies.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FutonForensic posted:

Titan A.E. isn't a great film, but I like the design of the setting and characters and wouldn't mind having a cel of it.

There's some high-quality concept/design/etc work for it on ebay.

$7.50 for this excellent storyboard image for example.

Or like this one? Worth it just for the art imho.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Robindaybird posted:

and shoehorn an extremely cliche fantasy plot into a setting where it doesn't fit.

Opposed to the first film how?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just watched Finding Dory. It felt uneeded and somewhat like a souless attempt at hitting as many emotional moments as possible without ever earning them. Its also, except for the brief time in the ocean exhibit tank, not particularly visually striking.

Well Pixar I'm done.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
My son asked to take him to see the new Smurfs so welp, that's 90 minutes I won't get back. Random pop songs, hyperactive action scenes with no reason to exist other than filling the screen for 5-10 minutes, all attempts at adult humour are just dumb innuendo, and of course the end of the movie is a dance off because of course it is.

Meanwhile I've been rewatching a lot of the old Pixar stuff on Netflix with my kids and the contrast is just night and day with well, most 3d animated crap. Even their newer stuff, while certainly not as tight as when they were in their stride, still does so much better than the competition in terms of having a consistent story and world that is entertaining.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

Just watched Finding Dory. It felt uneeded and somewhat like a souless attempt at hitting as many emotional moments as possible without ever earning them. Its also, except for the brief time in the ocean exhibit tank, not particularly visually striking.

Well Pixar I'm done.

Not gonna give Cars 3 a shot?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Or Coco?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I disliked Cars 1 immensely, thought Toy Story 2 and 3 were without real merit, so that makes Finding Doey the last straw.

Cars 3 looks dreadful and Coco I might be able to overlook based on music cause i loving love Mexican guitar stylings but nothing in the trailers has shown anytthing that looks interesting either thematically, emotionally, or visually.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mostly go to Pixar films because it's really easy to convince friends to go do that versus go see something like The Red Turtle, but I haven't been impressed in a long while. Then again, I also didn't think Moana was very good. I can't figure out what my standards are.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

I mostly go to Pixar films because it's really easy to convince friends to go do that versus go see something like The Red Turtle, but I haven't been impressed in a long while. Then again, I also didn't think Moana was very good. I can't figure out what my standards are.

I also thought Moana was merely okay. I liked Lilo and Stitch, though, so at least I don't have a thing against tropical island settings.

Finding Dory was very unenjoyable. Just went on and on and on and everything about it felt emotionally artificial and uninteresting, to boot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh drat there's some cels/production art of some really iconic Ren & Stimpy scenes available on eBay including the Happy Happy Joy Joy song, the space madness scene and Mr Horse asking about a rubber walrus protector.

"Call the poliiiiiice!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I don't know what's going on, but eBay is flush right now with really quality stuff. I think a lot of collectors recently realized it's not really an "investment", like a lot of these things have held their value, but no more.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Drifter posted:

Finding Dory was very unenjoyable. Just went on and on and on and everything about it felt emotionally artificial and uninteresting, to boot.

Before I saw it, I was immensely surprised Dory didn't get an Oscar nod. Then I saw it. At around forty minutes in, I realized it was just one chase scene leading to the next with no breathing room in-between. It really tried to sell a "All these characters have disabilities!" thing, which might've worked if they didn't keep having characters just power through their disabilities. I was particularly irked with Dory's condition considering how well it was handled in FN. She hadn't powered through her disability, she powered through living with her disability. It was a positive, achievable message that didn't dismiss her struggle. FD Dory just whoop, oh! Remembered a thing! Sometimes a thing that's a long-term memory! Not quite sure why it was forgotten 'til now!

And yeah, the setting was blah and... sterile. As was the emotional resolution. Marlin already knew tragedy, and his loss made you connect with the importance of his search for Nemo. Dory forgot her parents existed. Which should be a long-term memory. But CHASE SCENE!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Moana is a structural mess and is carried by how nice the water effects look and some decent song writing so nobody should be embarassed for not feeling it.

Still better than Finding Dory.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm kind of sad that Pixar is lame now.
In college I went to some seminars on animation, almost everyone there was inspired by Pixar. Not to mention the one they held themselves seeking recruitment.

There's animation going on, sure, but does frozen or moana or anything dreamworks does inspire anyone to want to work in animation?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Hemingway To Go! posted:

There's animation going on, sure, but does frozen or moana or anything dreamworks does inspire anyone to want to work in animation?

I feel like you are sliiiiiiightly understating the popularity of Frozen. Just a tad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I've never considered animation as a career but I could see someone getting there from the prison break in Kung Fu Panda.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

mycot posted:

I feel like you are sliiiiiiightly understating the popularity of Frozen. Just a tad.

It's popular but is it inspiring is all I'm asking.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Like, if people are just pretending to like things? That's dumb.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've never considered animation as a career but I could see someone getting there from the prison break in Kung Fu Panda.

Such a good movie.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The shows you watched as a kid are usually the ones that inspire you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gargoyles! :shepface:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

mycot posted:

Like, if people are just pretending to like things? That's dumb.

What? NO.
How is that what I said at all?

E: too busy to argue so I'll just drop it before someone translates one of my posts into something even more offensive

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Fangz posted:

The shows you watched as a kid are usually the ones that inspire you.

Decades of talking animal media aimed at children and this is the crop that results.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
It's not about how much you like it, it's about how it creates that connection in your mind between "this is a beautiful thing that someone made" and "I want to make something like this one day."

I think part of it might be the jump from 2D to 3D, since it's really easy to look at 2D animation and then go draw it, or something like it. 3D animation is much more difficult to just do on a whim, so it seems less likely to inspire that same kind of reaction.

But then again, what do I know? Maybe kids are coming home from Frozen or Moana or what have you and drawing the characters because they like them. But I definitely do feel like Disney and Pixar's devotion to a particular animation style makes it more difficult, in comparison to something like Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, where even in 3D the animation is really zany and over the top.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Pick posted:

Failing that, anything from The Great Piggy Bank Robbery.

e: or maybe this:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 23, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
A cel from Who Framed Roger Rabbit of Roger himself in some form would be cool. Maybe of him when he's spinning in the chair in the secret bar room?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm kind of sad that Pixar is lame now.
In college I went to some seminars on animation, almost everyone there was inspired by Pixar. Not to mention the one they held themselves seeking recruitment.

I don't think Pixar is lame now, but they aren't bulletproof like they used to be. I thought Finding Dory was great, and I also really liked Inside Out. But Cars 2 is obviously not anyone's favorite, Brave was just kind of boring, I htink Monsters U was mixed (I loved it) and The Good Dinosaur was... well really bad.

I'm looking foward to Coco because I just absolutely love the Day of the Dead aesthetic in animation, but I've lost all interest in an Incredibles 2 after all this time and I don't think anyone is actually excited for Cars 3. The news of Toy Story 4 doesn't excite me, it just makes me shake my head. Unless they do something completely loving crazy with it

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 23, 2017

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

G-gimme a cel from Chicken Run.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Tell me if I'm chewing wood into the wind here, but I'm still revisiting my childhood obsession with Angry Beavers for the 20th anniversary of the show, and I'm just now reading this interesting article about the show's decline: https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/nickelodeons-angry-beavers-nearly-ended-by-making-the-main-characters-realize-they-were-going-to-die-922

I found this bit, um, interesting:

quote:

Scannell imposed a "no drag" policy on the show, in an attempt to avoid the risk of children becoming "sexually confused" by seeing beavers gussied up in non-gender-conforming clothing.

I also found out that Nick Bakay (voice actor of Norbert, as well as Salem the cat on Sabrina the Teenage Witch) co-wrote both Paul Blart movies :shepface:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The Silver Snail posted:

G-gimme a cel from Chicken Run.

Would you buy a lump of clay if I told you it was used in the movie?

Look, it still has one eighth of a Nick Park thumbprint!