Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I'm really struggling to stay interested in Abaddons Gate right now.

Leviathan's Wake was totally my poo poo. Caliban's War was alright. Lost interest after Abaddon's Gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Two Finger posted:

what was the breaker

Just wasn't in it. Age and cultural gap were big issues. I shouldn't have let it go on as long as it did. If I wasn't in it at that point--we were together a while--it was like living a lie. She took it really hard and kind of refuses to accept it, but she's just naive with relationship poo poo. I keep telling her in a month she'll laugh at it all and to just go find a good looking young college gently caress boy :shrug:

Maybe I'm a bit numb or just mature in this aspect. Break ups don't really bum me out at all. I just sort of wipe my hands with it and it's just "welp better luck next time."

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 23, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Maybe I'm a bit numb or just mature in this aspect. Break ups don't really bum me out at all. I just sort of wipe my hands with it and it's just "welp better luck next time."

i was heartless in my breakups

never served me wrong

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah I normally sever like gently caress

Can be harsh but in my experience on both sides maintaining contact just prolongs things and makes it worse

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

how would william tecumseh sherman break up with his girl

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

is she from the south or the north?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

He would fire her.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wood chipper

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gently caress her sister probably

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Reverand maynard posted:

is she from the south or the north?

now we need to think of both scenarios

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

My car also doesn't have pinch seams, so normal jackstands scare the hell out of me on it. And I need a taller-than usual jack/stands for the Jeep. In short, budget stuff sucks for me and I really need a lift.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Godholio posted:

My car also doesn't have pinch seams, so normal jackstands scare the hell out of me on it. And I need a taller-than usual jack/stands for the Jeep. In short, budget stuff sucks for me and I really need a lift.

Just get two jacks. A slim floor jack for under the car and a taller jack for the jeep.

Or be a poor about it and just get the slim floor jack and a block of wood as a "jeep adapter".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Godholio posted:

use a loving scissor jack

what are you a pussy

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Two Finger posted:

what are you a pussy

never use a jack to hold up a car for more than an emergency tire change

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

orange juche posted:

never use a jack to hold up a car for more than an emergency tire change

Just :lol: if you don't drive a subcompact that you and a buddy could lift the rear end end of on your own.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Scissor jacks are limb removers. Don't use them. When you buy a new car, you should buy a new jack and a stand set and throw any scissor jack into the nearest homeless person's shopping cart of recycling material. A cheap set is $50 and way easier to gently caress with on the side of a highway than cranking a tire iron and getting .7mm lift per turn.

And for the love of gently caress, if you don't know what you're doing with a hi-lift, just leave them alone.

Or whatever. Drop a truck on your leg.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 23, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:thejoke:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

lol

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

She has a name presumably.

I know I'm late but this made me laugh pretty hard

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i'm watching the big short and this is one of the most military things i have ever seen

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

big short owned

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i haven't really found anything i could stand steve carell in but he was pretty good in this.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TBeats posted:

i haven't really found anything i could stand steve carell in but he was pretty good in this.

40 year old virgin hit too close to home?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Booblord Zagats posted:

I know I'm late but this made me laugh pretty hard

He can make those jokes but if I do it it's cultural appropriation

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Kawasaki Nun posted:

40 year old virgin hit too close to home?

Gawd drat

:boom:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Scissor jacks are limb removers. Don't use them. When you buy a new car, you should buy a new jack and a stand set and throw any scissor jack into the nearest homeless person's shopping cart of recycling material. A cheap set is $50 and way easier to gently caress with on the side of a highway than cranking a tire iron and getting .7mm lift per turn.

And for the love of gently caress, if you don't know what you're doing with a hi-lift, just leave them alone.

Or whatever. Drop a truck on your leg.

What kind of dumbass doesn't get the tow service with their insurance for $10? No way am I ever changing a wheel on the side of the highway even if I had God's own holy jack. I don't want to go out like the Cosby kid.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i found this in GBS and yeah

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^ :lol: That's pretty great.

Two Finger posted:

what are you a pussy

Yes.

Edit: I actually have a hi-lift, but I've never used it. My floor jack is juuuuuust tall enough to get the Jeep up if I need to. But it also has a bad seal and the replacement piston assembly (because you can't buy a rebuild kit anymore) is actually about $10 MORE than buying a new one.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 23, 2017

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Lol, I like they left the grill line for the end.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A hi lift looks like a good way to drop a jeep on your leg.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

tastefully arranged labia posted:

A hi lift looks like a good way to drop a jeep on your leg.

Yea I never understood how anyone would trust those things. When I had my jeep I kinda wanted one to use as a winch since I couldn't really justify a dedicated winch for the light off-roading I was doing, but using to lift just seems sketchy as hell.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Hi-lifts are mostly to re-position a stuck vehicle on hosed terrain. It's a last resort before calling a recovery vehicle. If you're using it to actually lift a truck, it's only really useful in getting a tire high enough off the ground to re-seat a bead. For anything else, it's entirely too unstable.

If you keep stands with you, I can understand carrying a hi-lift, but they're heavier and bulkier than a standard two ton floor jack. Unless you spend a lot of time rock-crawling, it's a dress-up accessory at best. I see them on jeeps all the drat time and I'll bet at least half of the people that drive around with one are clueless on how to use it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Buca di Bepis posted:

What kind of dumbass doesn't get the tow service with their insurance for $10? No way am I ever changing a wheel on the side of the highway even if I had God's own holy jack. I don't want to go out like the Cosby kid.

Maybe not along the I-25 corridor, but I do all my own roadside repairs. I'm not paying $10/mo for roadside assistance. A pack of tire plugs and small 12v compressor has me roadworthy again in less than 15 minutes, I'm not waiting an hour for a tow truck. But I have a rich history in mechanics and don't mind doing that poo poo.

What really loving sucks is roadside tractor-trailer work. An outside duals tire is stupid easy to replace, don't even have to take the wheel off the truck or run a jack, just drive the inside tire up on a block of wood and have it changed in ten minutes. If the inside is the blowout, that's an hour of loving around on the side of the highway. I'll grant there's nothing safe about changing a tire on the side of the interstate, but some of us don't poo poo our pants at cars flying by at 80mph and a car shuffling from the buffeting.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
What compressor do you use? I've looked around a few times before and it seems like most of the ones I've seen so far have sucked rear end.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They all suck rear end. One came with my car (bottom tier Kias don't come with spare tires, it's a compressor and a can of goop seal), that's the one I use right now. I've bought a cheap Slime one (autozone brand) and it worked fine for years before I gave it to my brother.

They're pretty much all the same thing, mostly all made in the same chinese factory. Just pick one out, test it to make sure it works right and throw it in the trunk. Probably $20-30 for a decent one.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019FIERRO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this on a whim just to throw in a saddlebag for my bike. Turns out the little bastard added a fair amount of air to 4 motorcycle tires and 4 car tires before... well, I just ran out of tires.

It is not speedy, and the compressor end gets really hot after a while (the manual warns you about it). Though it is small, and has a light.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's a pretty nice looking one.

I like when they have built in pressure gauges and lights, but I still have a $1 walmart flashlight in the car and pressure stick. As long as you're not purposefully trying to kill one, any compressor should work fine, you're mostly just paying for a name or bells/whistles at some point.

Being raised a farm kid, this is all common sense stuff. I was driving junkass farm cars and trucks at 12 or 13 from field to field, first blowout was before I even had a permit. Had to change it myself in the middle of loving nowhere a year or two before we had cell phones for the farm cars.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The only flat tire I've had to change on the road in like 15 years was a catastrophic blowout that totally shredded the sidewall so I really never want a car that just has a goop can.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Eh, that's a luck thing. Catastrophic blowouts happen, but usually they're the result of ignoring previous problems, especially busted belting inside the tread. If you hit a curb or deep pothole and you notice a notch in the sidewall, that's an indicator. A bubble is too, but that means the layers of rubber inside have split and is more common in older tires than new.

Now that most cars have TPMS, it's just a matter on not being lazy when the light comes on and thoroughly checking the tread for any sharps or miscellaneous poo poo. When I was working at a truckstop in Tennessee before I joined the army, I found a claw hammer head inside a truck tire. But rule of thumb is as long as it's not in the shoulder (inch or so closest to the edge of the tread), you can slap a rubber cement covered plug in it, wait five minutes and fill it back up. Shoulder punctures should just be replacements, as punctures there cut longer into the curved wall, through more belts and poo poo.

But I also used to be the guy who would buy $20 tires for my Ranger from pepboys and put them on myself with screwdrivers and a prybar. You learn a lot about tire construction when you replaced cheap ones frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Bear in mind that if you have an uncommon size on your vehicle you might have to wait a few days to get a matching one in

• Locked thread