Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Toast Museum posted:

Then again, you could mount the guns on the shoulders or something and free up the arms even more, so yeah, I guess putting them on the forearms doesn't make a ton of sense.

The Predator has both. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Longbaugh01 posted:

The Predator has both. :colbert:

Danny Glover still won.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Smiling Jack posted:

Forearm mounted weapons are bad and dumb, people have wrists and hands for a reason.

Yes, to mount and fire your spetsdōd.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

CeeJee posted:

Yes, to mount and fire your spetsdōd.

"The first cut is the deepest!"

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Smiling Jack posted:

Forearm mounted weapons are bad and dumb, people have wrists and hands for a reason.

https://youtu.be/2FNn6IlhQtc

:colbert:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Azhais posted:

I wish people would stop bringing up the drat slugs in that book. They were involved for a chapter and a half in a sort of "meanwhile, back at band camp" sort of manner.
Chapter and a half? Some hazy memory.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Combat Pretzel posted:

Chapter and a half? Some hazy memory.

It's both several chapters and not as pervasive as others remember.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
I like this show but the guy who plays Holden is a loving AWFUL actor.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JacksLibido posted:

I like this show but the guy who plays Holden is a loving AWFUL actor.

I really don't get what this threads problem with him is, seeing him gradually morph into Christian Bale as the season progressed has been hilarious.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
He's the weakest one, but he's not bad. The character isn't great nor is his writing. Naomi and Amos are amazing, Alex has an amusing gimmick, Holden is just fine.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah Holden is really just a bland and vaguely charismatic white dude for the interesting characters to orbit around. Nothing wrong with that, either, it's just what he is.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Holden being played by Jake Gyllenhaal (or someone else to can emote the weight of decisions with their eyeballs) would be a MUCH BETTER bland and vaguely charismatic white guy for us to latch on to though.

Glad to see more people giving Naomi props. Took them 21 episodes to start giving her material but she was great.

Alex is the goddamn heart of the show. Gotta love the only optimist on the Roci.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Holden is the Leonardo, the Cyclops of the group.

Naomi is the Donatello, the Beast.
Amos is the Raphael, the Wolverine
Alex is the Michelangelo, the Nightcrawler

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Holden being played by Jake Gyllenhaal (or someone else to can emote the weight of decisions with their eyeballs) would be a MUCH BETTER bland and vaguely charismatic white guy for us to latch on to though.

Sorry but Jake Gyllenhaal is busy being in way worse sci-fi entertainment. (Don't watch Life)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

See this is just a quick motion though. With a machine gun your actor has to just stand there and do zombie arms while pretending to shoot people and it looks boring and bad.

If you want to continue the Iron Man comparison, look at the drone fight in Iron Man 2. War Machine just stands there and waves his arms around.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 23, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
She has those iron man rockets strapped to her back anyway. THAT would have been an impressive entrance to that room.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

See this is just a quick motion though. With a machine gun your actor has to just stand there and do zombie arms while pretending to shoot people and it looks boring and bad.

If you want to continue the Iron Man comparison, look at the drone fight in Iron Man 2. War Machine just stands there and waves his arms around.

Machine gun hands looked pretty good on the new BSG (all CGI) centurions, but otherwise, yeah, I don't think it would work very well as a practical costume on a real person. Plus... gun nerd wise... you're confined to a pretty short barrel and low caliber, and the ammunition feeding mechanism is dubious at best... not sure if it is really that good a weapon system.

Rifles, SMG's, and other small arms in combination with power armor are way cooler. With the possible exception if Bobbie had an Aliens style steady-cam smart-gun mounted to her power armor.

I thought the scene where she just walked into the room and started throwing people around with the Naomi voice-over was pretty great myself.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The visor turning red was a nice touch.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Holding your arms out to shoot would not be functionally different than shooting a pistol with one hand, I think.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Re: Holden, do you guys think a different actor would've made his scenes land better? I don't know anything else that Strait has done, but I feel like a big weakness of the character has just been the way he's written. He's kind of one-dimensional by design, and though they've taken measures to punch up his character development for the show (yes, he's even more bland in the books), I don't know how much you can alter his trajectory while still following the major story beats.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

404notfound posted:

Re: Holden, do you guys think a different actor would've made his scenes land better? I don't know anything else that Strait has done, but I feel like a big weakness of the character has just been the way he's written. He's kind of one-dimensional by design, and though they've taken measures to punch up his character development for the show (yes, he's even more bland in the books), I don't know how much you can alter his trajectory while still following the major story beats.

No, I think really it is script. You could debate maybe a 'better' actor would do a better job, but the script has been kinda wishy washy with his character, often using him to create a forced conflict.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Im surprised no one has suggested yet that holden is some kind of deconstruction of the archetypal lead good guy by actually being played as an insufferable self righteous unlikeable prick

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

gfarrell80 posted:

No, I think really it is script. You could debate maybe a 'better' actor would do a better job, but the script has been kinda wishy washy with his character, often using him to create a forced conflict.

Yeah, the season didn't do a great job of gradating his character arc in the back half of the season. It was suddenly episode 12 and BOOM full blown obsession from nowhere.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Im surprised no one has suggested yet that holden is some kind of deconstruction of the archetypal lead good guy by actually being played as an insufferable self righteous unlikeable prick

Thing is; Holden is pretty likeable - I wouldn't call him a prick. When the script machinations turn him prick-ish I feel like it as artificial, I don't really read it as his character.

Example: when he went Captain Ahab when chasing the proto-monster in the wrecked dome, yelling at Alex to Stay On Target. Holden's prick-like obsession didn't feel particularly authentic or character driven (why does he care so much about killing this thing he only learned about a few minutes ago that he would risk losing his ship and friends?). There's at least two or three other situations where Holden was used to create some character conflict that felt pretty weak.

Most of other characters haven't suffered from being used like that to create dramatic conflict.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, the season didn't do a great job of gradating his character arc in the back half of the season. It was suddenly episode 12 and BOOM full blown obsession from nowhere.

Well, yeah, if you ignore his decision to blow up the ship leaving Eros because it could have been contaminated, his freak out when he realized there was protomolecule at Ganymede and went nuts on Prax in their first meeting, and his decision to destroy the protomolecule sample he had, then I could see how you think this is coming from nowhere.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

I've always just gone with the assumption that they'd be way better than a normal weapon in low to zero g combat. Not having to carry a rifle while you're crawling through some ship's corridors in zero g seems like a big advantage.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Well, yeah, if you ignore his decision to blow up the ship leaving Eros because it could have been contaminated, his freak out when he realized there was protomolecule at Ganymede and went nuts on Prax in their first meeting, and his decision to destroy the protomolecule sample he had, then I could see how you think this is coming from nowhere.

I phrased it wrong. It's not from nowhere, but the script doesn't really build up to very well. Compare the way Hannibal season 1 handled Will's character arc and fraying psyche, and the way people react to his behaviour. It flows. I don't think The Expanse managed to have a similar smoothness to it, either with Holden's characterisation or in the crew's reactions to him.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Open Source Idiom posted:

I phrased it wrong. It's not from nowhere, but the script doesn't really build up to very well. Compare the way Hannibal season 1 handled Will's character arc and fraying psyche, and the way people react to his behaviour. It flows. I don't think The Expanse managed to have a similar smoothness to it, either with Holden's characterisation or in the crew's reactions to him.

I think a lot about this season was really choppy.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah Holden is really just a bland and vaguely charismatic white dude for the interesting characters to orbit around. Nothing wrong with that, either, it's just what he is.

The character of holden is why I stopped reading the books halfway through the second one, I couldn't go on reading about his retarded decisions and Mary Sue bs. The actor playing golden takes it to another level with this last episode putting it over the top. Seriously, last episode with him doing his 'rahhhh I'm angry growl' was terrible but nothing compared to this episode in the cargo bay 'rahhh I'm hurt, or angry? Fuckit rahhhhh'. Everybody else (except mr. omg my daughter) is at least a good actor with Amos actually having a really good character going.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Subyng posted:

Holding your arms out to shoot would not be functionally different than shooting a pistol with one hand, I think.

Yeah, but it doesn't make for a very dynamic shot (no pun intended). It's easier to make an interesting shot out of someone holding a gun because it looks more natural.

I didn't intend for this derail to go on this long, but at least it's not a page of book spoilers :shrug:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

fridge corn posted:

Yeah, he's basically your oldschool D&D lawful stupid paladin in the books

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I agree that arm guns are a cool idea that looks very lame in action. It'd be cooler to have them use oversized rifles and maybe have micro missiles that can pop out of their arms or even racks that raise out of their shoulders. Hell, give them a predator shoulder gun.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I like the protomolecule as a space chicken from hell.

Also, no reason to have additional maneuverability on the cheap probes. Space is mostly empty so provided their trajectory for earth was good enough no reason to account for other variables. Especially since it is presumably a high throughput process so it doesn't have to work that often for it to meaningfully work.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

I agree that arm guns are a cool idea that looks very lame in action. It'd be cooler to have them use oversized rifles and maybe have micro missiles that can pop out of their arms or even racks that raise out of their shoulders. Hell, give them a predator shoulder gun.

Edge of Tomorrow got it right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJvARtLMlvQ

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

JacksLibido posted:

Seriously, last episode with him doing his 'rahhhh I'm angry growl' was terrible but nothing compared to this episode in the cargo bay 'rahhh I'm hurt, or angry? Fuckit rahhhhh'.

I thought he sold being pinned to a wall by magnets capable of holding a heavy rear end crate in place during 15+ g burns while a giant blue space man alternatively tears up his ship or tries to eat his face pretty well.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AirborneNinja posted:

I thought he sold being pinned to a wall by magnets capable of holding a heavy rear end crate in place during 15+ g burns while a giant blue space man alternatively tears up his ship or tries to eat his face pretty well.

I dunno, he was no Paul Reubens

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

JacksLibido posted:

The character of holden is why I stopped reading the books halfway through the second one, I couldn't go on reading about his retarded decisions and Mary Sue bs.

What's the Mary Sue angle? He's not especially good at anything but drawing attention to himself, and that often doesn't go great for him or others. The events surrounding Eros made him famous (in the books, at least), but a lot of people think he's just an idiot or an rear end in a top hat.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Toast Museum posted:

What's the Mary Sue angle? He's not especially good at anything but drawing attention to himself, and that often doesn't go great for him or others. The events surrounding Eros made him famous (in the books, at least), but a lot of people think he's just an idiot or an rear end in a top hat.

Really, Avasarala is constantly talking about that moron James Holden's latest action or public pronouncement. Fred's not any nicer when the aggravation of Holden exceeds the utility he gets out of him (but usually more the Rocinante).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Really, Avasarala is constantly talking about that moron James Holden's latest action or public pronouncement. Fred's not any nicer when the aggravation of Holden exceeds the utility he gets out of him (but usually more the Rocinante).

The season one line by Fred Johnson owns when he meets Holden for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I got around to watching the finale last night and holy smokes they really blew their budget on the CG for the proto-demon! It looked really good for a TV show. Every time it was on screen (lots! expensive!) I was thinking about how much worse it could have been.

• Locked thread