Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

s.i.r.e. posted:

So how many people decided to get all of the Koroks just to give up because it's boring and tedious as poo poo? I made around 350~.
If I was 11 again playing this instead of OoT, I definitely would have instead of looking up and trying every dumb Geocities Zelda rumor for hours and hours on end like a retard. But yeah no, way too much stuff to play and not enough time now, not happening.

I went around and explored almost every nook and cranny, (well probably 85% of the map, probably some odd spots in the south-east jungle area I missed) and somehow only got about 150 by the time I beat the game. I rarely fast traveled and felt I was being hyperventilate and if I saw something, I did it, and went to so many places where there weren't even any seeds (i.e. death mountain pinnacles and stuff). I honestly don't know how there are even 900 even though I know there are.

That's still a pretty good count.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
After the first playthrough, I'll occasionally pull up one of those interactive "where everything is" maps just to take a look at how many koroks are in my vicinity that I would never have noticed otherwise

I managed to get something like 200 when I was really jonesing to max out my weapon slots on my first playthrough without really needing to "work" for it (just hardcore exploring in the "fairly empty" areas on my map), but getting 900 without a guide would be hell. I didn't even manage to do it with skulltulas in the version of OOT that shows a skulltula mark on your map once you've found all of them in an area, let alone something like this poo poo.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

seiferguy posted:

So I just walked around during the sunlight around Mekar Lake. I got like 20 stealthfin trout while wearing the stealth gear whenever it came up on my radar. I think that's the trick to getting them.

Even easier at night; they glow in the dark. Stealth my arse.

s.i.r.e. posted:

So how many people decided to get all of the Koroks just to give up because it's boring and tedious as poo poo? I made around 350~.

I'm just going to pick up 3 more to max out my shields, then they can live in peace wherever they holed up. Then Ganon, then I'll switch off the WiiU until the DLC comes out.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm just going to pick up 3 more to max out my shields, then they can live in peace wherever they holed up. Then Ganon, then I'll switch off the WiiU until the DLC comes out.

Switch it off? But Shovel Knight just updated!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Chronojam posted:

Switch it off? But Shovel Knight just updated!

drat you.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

MustelaFuro posted:

For the final stage of the Ganon fight the game gives you the horse you last rode on, right? What if you never registered a horse? Does it give you a random horse? If you rode a horse but didn't register it, do you still get that horse or is it random? And most importantly, yet least likely, if the only mount you ever rode on was the Lord of the Mountain if there any chance the game would give you that? Because that would be sweet as gently caress!
As far as I know, if you don't have a registered horse it'll just plop a default horse with a saddle for you. Seems pre-trained as well.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I wound up getting 556 Koroks before I stopped. I actually enjoyed it for a while, mostly because I feel I did them in a smart way; I'd mark as many as my map would allow that were near me, then pick 5 at a time to turn from stamps to pins so the game would cross them off for me as I went and got them. It was fun to plan a route and work my way through a region finding (even after all this time!) parts I hadn't visited, and I liked figuring out some of the more oddball Korok puzzles, like jump three fences on a horse, shoot all the targets on the equestrian archery course, apple growing in a palm tree, "what's this branch doing here?", and various rock rings where actually getting the rock to the ring was a challenge. But I did wind up stopping once I realized that I had inevitably failed to mark a few, and figuring out which ones would be hell itself and just not worth the effort. :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I love the Koroks, it ensures that anywhere you go you at least get a little reward for exploring. The point isn't to find them all, it why it takes significantly less of them to max out your inventory.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I have 899 koroks on my save right now.

Ask me how many in-game days it takes for an apple tree to regrow with all its fruits after it's struck by lightning on your way to solve the last puzzle.

Illithid Activity
Sep 5, 2015

Vegastar posted:

I have 899 koroks on my save right now.

Ask me how many in-game days it takes for an apple tree to regrow with all its fruits after it's struck by lightning on your way to solve the last puzzle.

Was it the one near Faron or Akkala? I had that happen in both areas as they seem to have a ton of storms. Nothing sucks quite like getting Korok-blocked.

Out of curiosity though, how long does it actually take? I just kinda left the areas alone for several in-game days, waiting for a blood moon, because I had other koroks to find still.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Port Wine Manteau posted:

Was it the one near Faron or Akkala? I had that happen in both areas as they seem to have a ton of storms. Nothing sucks quite like getting Korok-blocked.

Out of curiosity though, how long does it actually take? I just kinda left the areas alone for several in-game days, waiting for a blood moon, because I had other koroks to find still.

I don't know yet. It's probably been about 6 in game days and 4/5 fruits are back now. The last one, naturally, is the missing one.

Also, it's the one just north of kakariko village. Thankfully I have nothing else to do at work today except ignore the running switch for 20 minutes at a time and re-check.

I'm apparently still missing a couple of "discovered" areas based on my complete % but I have no idea what they even might be. Probably another one I'll have to come back and figure out later down the road when I feel like it.

Edit: and no, just camping at a bonfire doesn't work. It has to be natural time passing with the game running, rather that strictly in-game day/night.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 23, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
poo poo, i just beat ganon. i had heard the last fight is super easy when you are maxed out so i went in with the un-upgraded *of the wild set complete with the hylian shield and master sword. it was loving awesome. spend the whole day inside that loving castle.

200 hours, 55.33% complete. gently caress yeah. guess i spend my time upgrading armour sets and getting these korok seeds until the dlc hits. work hosed up my payslip so its not like i can play mario kart until next month. :|

also, i wonder if i missed something or if ts cut content/dlc because in the trailer there is that bit where all the guardians wreck a town, assuming it's hyrule castle town too.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Every time I've sat down to play this game over the last two weeks I've said to myself, "this is it, go fight Ganon." Then I wander around until my Wii U tablets low battery light comes in and I have to quit. Well this morning I said that same thing and instead of wandering around I stocked up on ancient arrows, ancient weapons, and Lynel weapons. When my battery light came on I saved in front of the castle. Next time it's happening for real.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

Every time I've sat down to play this game over the last two weeks I've said to myself, "this is it, go fight Ganon." Then I wander around until my Wii U tablets low battery light comes in and I have to quit. Well this morning I said that same thing and instead of wandering around I stocked up on ancient arrows, ancient weapons, and Lynel weapons. When my battery light came on I saved in front of the castle. Next time it's happening for real.

You know you can take the power chord that plugs into your charger stand and plug it into the top of your wii u tablet?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Going up to Ganon without really preparing was pretty fun, it was a pain getting to him when my last shield broke and I couldn't parry lasers back at the Guardians anymore though

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

comingafteryouall posted:

You know you can take the power chord that plugs into your charger stand and plug it into the top of your wii u tablet?

I do. Moving that plug involves crawling behind my TV stand and I set it up this way intentionally. It's annoying enough to get to that wall outlet that I won't do it and instead turn off my game. That little red light is how I tell myself I've spent enough time playing. Without an outside stimulus to grab my attention away from a game that I can lose an entire day to gaming and not realize it. Since turning it off I've gone for a bike ride and prepped food for the coming week. I'll take on Ganon later this afternoon.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Going up to Ganon without really preparing was pretty fun, it was a pain getting to him when my last shield broke and I couldn't parry lasers back at the Guardians anymore though

Wait, what? You can parry the lasers? :stare:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Ahahahahahahaha

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

Parry when the eye flashes blue!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

I was you, once.

Then I started wrecking those guardian assholes. And Ganon.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vikar Jerome posted:

With Pot Lids, even!

Have fun!!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If you're not rocking a 5x bow nuking ancient fuckers with a hail of glowing neutron arrows while riding a zombie looking horse then I don't know what you're playing at.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

my god. i've just been gyro aiming them straight in the eye then breaking weapons on them the whole time.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xaris posted:

If I was 11 again playing this instead of OoT, I definitely would have instead of looking up and trying every dumb Geocities Zelda rumor for hours and hours on end like a retard. But yeah no, way too much stuff to play and not enough time now, not happening.

Same, this game already devoured a shitload of playtime and it was all fun until I started Korok Quest which didn't last long.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I love the Koroks, it ensures that anywhere you go you at least get a little reward for exploring. The point isn't to find them all, it why it takes significantly less of them to max out your inventory.

I agree with you on the "always something to find" thing but only having so many variations of the Korok challenges was meh for me. It got pretty stale but I liked whenever I found one that was more unique than others like having to pick up a strange stick on the underside of the Lake Hylia bridge.

The Koroks are a difficult thing to balance because the world's so big so you need a lot to make sure that exploration is rewarding, but having each be picked from a pool of challenges that only slightly change makes them boring and with 900 take up too much time to collect all of them. Also there's so many that they stopped the inventory slot rewards around halfway through so getting more than half is pointless and there's no (useful) reward at the end of it.

As someone that loves collect-a-thons like Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie, this is just too much and too boring. Hell, I even got 100% in Yooka-Laylee which has more things to collect than BOTW with it's 1010 Quills but getting everything in that game only took me 20~ hours.

I think they should have made it so that Koroks would give you different amounts of seeds depending on the challenge, so if you have an easy Archery challenge you'll get one, but if you had one that required you to make a hail mary shot you'd get 10. You'd ultimately have less Koroks but with less of them the challenges could be more unique.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Eventually after finding a bunch of koroks I started formulating my own list of ideas for improving the system, but at minimum I wish there was more variety in the korok puzzles. I realize that asking a team to come up with dozens of puzzles isn't normally a reasonable request, but considering that some of the puzzles can be as simple as "pick up rock" or "press A on swirly light" surely they could come up with 20-30 more types of "oddities" to inspect in the world.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Argue posted:

Eventually after finding a bunch of koroks I started formulating my own list of ideas for improving the system, but at minimum I wish there was more variety in the korok puzzles. I realize that asking a team to come up with dozens of puzzles isn't normally a reasonable request, but considering that some of the puzzles can be as simple as "pick up rock" or "press A on swirly light" surely they could come up with 20-30 more types of "oddities" to inspect in the world.

There is a lot more variety/difficulty out there, even within the "basic" puzzle design.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

s.i.r.e. posted:

Same, this game already devoured a shitload of playtime and it was all fun until I started Korok Quest which didn't last long.

I agree with you on the "always something to find" thing but only having so many variations of the Korok challenges was meh for me. It got pretty stale but I liked whenever I found one that was more unique than others like having to pick up a strange stick on the underside of the Lake Hylia bridge.

The Koroks are a difficult thing to balance because the world's so big so you need a lot to make sure that exploration is rewarding, but having each be picked from a pool of challenges that only slightly change makes them boring and with 900 take up too much time to collect all of them. Also there's so many that they stopped the inventory slot rewards around halfway through so getting more than half is pointless and there's no (useful) reward at the end of it.

As someone that loves collect-a-thons like Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie, this is just too much and too boring. Hell, I even got 100% in Yooka-Laylee which has more things to collect than BOTW with it's 1010 Quills but getting everything in that game only took me 20~ hours.

I think they should have made it so that Koroks would give you different amounts of seeds depending on the challenge, so if you have an easy Archery challenge you'll get one, but if you had one that required you to make a hail mary shot you'd get 10. You'd ultimately have less Koroks but with less of them the challenges could be more unique.

Quiet nerd.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Seriously you aren't supposed to get all 900 that's why the game gives you a pile of poo poo if you do. It's designed so you will find enough to get you what you need without having to go full autist.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Seriously you aren't supposed to get all 900 that's why the game gives you a pile of poo poo if you do. It's designed so you will find enough to get you what you need without having to go full autist.

Yeah this.

I mean it's more "hey I haven't been to this hill before oh hey there's a Korok puzzle" than a gotta catch them all sort of thing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Just lmbo if you think goons have self controll

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The fact that it's a sperg trap makes me love this game even more :allears:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Yeah this.

I mean it's more "hey I haven't been to this hill before oh hey there's a Korok puzzle" than a gotta catch them all sort of thing.

Now that I'm done with the game and have diminished interest, I just took a section of the map and marked where all the Korok Seeds were located and I swear I picked up 40 in about 2 hours of playing. It's kind of motivating to get back into the game and explore areas like mountain tops that I never visited before and see some of the sights. I don't really care if I don't get them by honestly seeking them out. But I am having more fun doing it that way than trying to explore every mountain top and finding nothing.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

The fact that it's a sperg trap makes me love this game even more :allears:

I know. When I found out the reward it made me so happy.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I somehow just stumbled onto a Royal Guard's Claymore with 102 strength and an Attack Up +30 bonus. Time to go murder some Lynels :getin:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

GobiasIndustries posted:

I somehow just stumbled onto a Royal Guard's Claymore with 102 strength and an Attack Up +30 bonus. Time to go murder some Lynels :getin:

spin2win

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nephzinho posted:

There is a lot more variety/difficulty out there, even within the "basic" puzzle design.

There's only 11 types of puzzles which isn't too many when you have to spread it out over 900 seeds.

Bum the Sad posted:

But you still need 441 to get all of the useful rewards which is an insane amount and I'd say getting 250 gets you enough storage slots where you don't need worry about it anymore which is still a lot though definitely doable.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keep it for sneakstrike kills since those don't use up durability.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I went through the whole game with no upgrade slots, it's not that big of a deal

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The best part of this game is realizing your weapons are finally strong enough that you can just run up into a guardian's face and hack off its limbs with your axe

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Keep it for sneakstrike kills since those don't use up durability.

Oh poo poo is this right? I know what I'm doing with my 112 claymore now