Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

GaussianCopula posted:

Why has Melenchon not endorsed Macron already?

Is he secretly supporting LePen?

Let me tell you the tale of Jeremy Corbyn and The Brexit Breakfast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
He's probably waiting until there's no chance he gets into the second round.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

France will be great again.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Just because it's convoluted does not make it undemocratic per se.

If the EU wanted to be democratic then it would scrap the Council of Minsters and make the Commission be elected by the Parliament instead of the European Council. I'll repeat myself, the overcomplicated processes exist to ensure that the respective Council's have time to intervene if they want to.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Pluskut Tukker posted:

No, and you'll get plenty more of it in the upcoming British and German elections!

I can't wait to see american libs arzy about AfD's 8% in the polls

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Hey, it's been a lovely start to the evening. Let's make it right. Fillon's going to jail. Let's celebrate.

https://twitter.com/jrbaudot/status/856206583214354437

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Fiction posted:

He's probably waiting until there's no chance he gets into the second round.

He's waiting to launch Plan B.

My codename is coolguy84 and I'm waiting for my marching orders.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sky Shadowing posted:

So the general consensus is that Le Pen will lose the run off, of course keeping in mind that the general consensus was that Hillary would defeat Trump, so take it with a grain of salt, yes?

:frogsiren: FUN FACT: :frogsiren: if US elections used the French system, Hillary Clinton would be the President of the USA right now.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Agnosticnixie posted:

I can't wait to see american libs arzy about AfD's 8% in the polls

Maybe they'll pick up 43% points over night? Remember Clinton? :ohdear:

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

:frogsiren: FUN FACT: :frogsiren: if US elections used the French system, Hillary Clinton would be the President of the USA right now.

Big if true

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Macron's hosed it, hasn't he?

e: like, how the gently caress are you going to convince the disenfranchised French youth and the racist olds to vote for another milquetoast Blairite?

Venomous fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 23, 2017

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Lid posted:

Let me tell you the tale of Jeremy Corbyn and The Brexit Breakfast

Labour shot itself in the foot by using Brexit to try and oust Corbyn rather than bash the Tories. Then Corbyn took a chainsaw to said appendage by whipping for it in parliament. Everybody's to blame with British Labour!

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Venomous posted:

Is this some weird cockney slang?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Venomous posted:

If by hosed it, you mean, kept the literal fascist out. Probably?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Venomous posted:

If you mean a dead pig, then yes. They all did, it's a rich people thing in Europe.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

Why would that lead to violence?

Le Pen's 'gang' don't strike me as very good at dealing with bad news. And I have a very bad feeling that various terrorists around the world are planning all they can to help her win.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

If the EU wanted to be democratic then it would scrap the Council of Minsters and make the Commission be elected by the Parliament instead of the European Council. I'll repeat myself, the overcomplicated processes exist to ensure that the respective Council's have time to intervene if they want to.

So you'd end with institutions where the member states with the largest population will be best represented and abolish the national vetos that member states can effectively exercise in the Council of Ministers. I don't think that citizens of the smaller member states will find that very democratic, since they'll just be outvoted all the time.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Hey don't dis the electoral college, Alexander "i hate the french" Hamilton's incredible contribution to American democracy. It's the best thing that ever happened in his life alongside Burr shooting him dead.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Venomous posted:

He is going to be the next president of France, so yes, he is super hosed.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

If you mean a dead pig, then yes. They all did, it's a rich people thing in Europe.

Oh, the Bullingdon's been exporting to the continent has it? Another thing we should probably apologise for.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

TheRat posted:

Le Pen's 'gang' don't strike me as very good at dealing with bad news. And I have a very bad feeling that various terrorists around the world are planning all they can to help her win.

The FN has literally been a thing since the 80s.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Aurubin posted:

Labour shot itself in the foot by using Brexit to try and oust Corbyn rather than bash the Tories. Then Corbyn took a chainsaw to said appendage by whipping for it in parliament. Everybody's to blame with British Labour!

There was also Jeremy's running dead opposition to it because he was always for it (for different philosophical reasons) so when he "lost" he pulled the political equivalent of an "aw shucks i'm sorry guys guess we're bound now".

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GaussianCopula posted:

Imagine putting a captain's costume on and boarding the titanic a a few moments after the iceberg was hit

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Agnosticnixie posted:

The FN has literally been a thing since the 80s.

One might make the argument that things are rather different lately

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

julian assflange posted:

Imagine putting a captain's costume on and boarding the titanic a a few moments after the iceberg was hit

Somehow if Le Pen was in the lead i don't think this would be the metaphor.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TheRat posted:

Yes the American press isn't going around saying "Le pen is just like all other rightwing candidate" anymore like they did in the late 90s. But hey it may change soon enough again.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

TheRat posted:

Her results are on the low end of her margin of error despite a terrorist attack in the middle of Paris literally the day before election day. You would have to nuke the overseas and and atlantic coast to give her a chance and that's mostly because then the people who are least likely to vote for her would be dead.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lid posted:

Somehow if Le Pen was in the lead i don't think this would be the metaphor.

She would be diving in after it?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

GaussianCopula posted:

Yea Macron winning the first round means Le Pen has an almost zero chance of winning now

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Agnosticnixie posted:

Her results are on the low end of her margin of error despite a terrorist attack in the middle of Paris literally the day before election day. You would have to nuke the overseas and and atlantic coast to give her a chance and that's mostly because then the people who are least likely to vote for her would be dead.

I didn't say she would win, I said there would be violence.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Presumably down to differential rates of counting in different places, but huh.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/856222208003276800

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

TheRat posted:

I didn't say she would win, I said there would be violence.

There's not going to be any violence from her supporters, hombre. But some fash might get bashed...

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Yea Macron winning the first round means Le Pen has an almost zero chance of winning now

finding this awfy hard to believe since there's still the small matter of (a) racists and (b) disenfranchised leftists, both of whom are obliged to vote for another neoliberal dipshit because ??????

granted, the FN are fascists, but Macron just seems like business as usual and I really don't see why folks are so convinced that he's going to trounce Le Pen at this point

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Venomous posted:

finding this awfy hard to believe since there's still the small matter of (a) racists and (b) disenfranchised leftists, both of whom are obliged to vote for another neoliberal dipshit because ??????

granted, the FN are fascists, but Macron just seems like business as usual and I really don't see why folks are so convinced that he's going to trounce Le Pen at this point

Do you really not think disenfranchised leftists won't vote for the neoliberal over the fascist? Maybe there'll be higher rates of abstentions, but...

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
People who put racism in front of their politics already voted for their preferred candidates and no leftist is going to carry water for someone who literally waxes nostalgic for nazi occupation.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

Do you really not think disenfranchised leftists won't vote for the neoliberal over the fascist? Maybe there'll be higher rates of abstentions, but...

Lets say I'm a slightly racist, poor, working class leftist. How easy would you say it is for me to pick Macron over Le Pen:

?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

TheRat posted:

Lets say I'm a slightly racist, poor, working class leftist. How easy would you say it is for me to pick Macron over Le Pen:

?

lol that compass ahahahah

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I'm a bit confused by how all the candidates are taking the estimations from the polling companies as 100% accurate gospel. Are there provisional results from the actual vote counting? Surely the margins aren't big enough to take things for granted

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

MiddleOne posted:

I don't think the regular's of this thread like you and I are in any capacity a representative sample of any electorate. :v:

Also thank you for proving my point. There are in fact two councils. First the European Council, which is seated by the heads of states of the member states and which elects the commission and handles treaties. Then there is the Council of Minsters (which has a formal title that somehow even more confusing, the Council of the European Union), which is seated by the relevant government ministers of member states and is the second legaslative body of the EU (the first being the parliament). Also, if you're ever bored do actually look up the formal process for legislation in the EU. It is by far the most intrusive and over-complicated legislative system in the world (competing with Iran and the US) and it has intentionally been structured in such a way such to neuter the Parliament and Commission's ability to act too independently of the Council of Ministers and European Council. It's almost comical in just how many of the steps in the legislative process a proposal can get shot down or sent backwards for further review. It was intentionally designed to be obtrusive and slow.

EDIT: Here's a chart of the relationships between EU institutions. Do note how the only directly elected parts of the systems are the member states own parliaments and the European parliament. Everything else is seated by the representatives of other representatives.

Well, no.

First off, let's not kid ourselves and pretend that if you made flowcharts of most EU democracies where you included the courts and auditor systems, you wouldn't get something rather similar.

The only added layer that makes Europe more complicated is that it arises from the very fact that it is Europe; i.e. 28 (for now) Member States who all get a say at various levels in the process. That seems entirely reasonable to me, and the diagram you included should actually have a big red text at the bottom saying "YOUR GOVERNMENT WORKS FOR YOU IN BRUSSELS AND IS CO-RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS THERE, NEVER MIND WHAT THEY PRETEND AT HOME".

The decision making process is structured in such a way to give Member States and Parliament the most input at every stage, which is sort of necessary if you want to create legitimacy in the process, yes? While you may not like your current government, or the decisions it makes at home or in Brussels, you can't deny that the Will Of Your Country - from Malta to Germany - isn't heard. This is exactly why the structure is the way it is.

The process wasn't designed to be obtrusive or slow, the process was designed for input along the way; blame the Member States (for the most part) for (ab)using that system to make it as such. The EU is, so far as I can tell, a not-too-bad reflection of most of the governments of the EU. That their decisions and positions aren't yours, I agree - they aren't mine either. But that doesn't mean that you, through your own elected MEPs (if you bothered to vote) and your government, doesn't get a say.

Finally, the importance of having a difference between Council of Ministers and Council of Heads of State should be obvious; the first one goes into more detail and handles individual legislative pieces that concern their area of responsibility (finance, agriculture, fisheries, culture etc), and the Heads of State meet to set the overall course and strategy. That kind of design makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? Maybe they should've named them the Council of Ministers and the other the Heads of State Slumber Camp (to avoid repetition of the word Council), but otherwise it's perfectly sensible.

The reason, as was pointed out before, why most people don't understand the EU process is because generally they don't understand their own home processes, especially if you add in the courts and auditors checks.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Write that down now, with a date on it and pray you're right. After last year, and given some of the moods and undercurrents in France and the EU at the moment, I'm not comfortable anymore.

Plus, next thing we'll have is Italian elections, and we will all be back here again, praying that M5S doesn't win.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

So you'd end with institutions where the member states with the largest population will be best represented and abolish the national vetos that member states can effectively exercise in the Council of Ministers. I don't think that citizens of the smaller member states will find that very democratic, since they'll just be outvoted all the time.

So your fear is that the EU would function like literally every other parliamentary democracy on the planet?