Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Terrible Opinions posted:

purposely violating monopoly laws

Are you actually going to defend the regulations that prevent direct sales to consumers? Have you ever been to a car dealership? gently caress those laws, and similarly gently caress taxicab medallions. We can leave all of their other alleged failings aside, and certainly Uber has a lot more than Tesla. These companies exist because there are these gigantic, idiotic regulatory failures in our legal system. Stupid laws should not be followed, e.g. marijuana prohibition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TheFluff posted:

source your crowdfunding pitches

I promise, on my integrity, that I didn't get any of it from anywhere, except this bit from page 252:

TheScott2K posted:

An app that lets you store and share photos. If you send a photo to someone without the app, it comes with an easy link to get the app, which the recipient will do because they want to see the picture. Families will use it to share pictures, making it very likely for the app to go "viral." Groups of photos can be grouped into album-like sequences we call "Narratives."

WrenP-Complete posted:

Narratr: Tell Your Own Story

New idea:
A plug in wifi access point that backlinks over powerline ethernet

although if you meant my ideas were bland and unoriginal, that's fair. I'll try harder.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

Are you actually going to defend the regulations that prevent direct sales to consumers? Have you ever been to a car dealership? gently caress those laws, and similarly gently caress taxicab medallions. We can leave all of their other alleged failings aside, and certainly Uber has a lot more than Tesla. These companies exist because there are these gigantic, idiotic regulatory failures in our legal system. Stupid laws should not be followed, e.g. marijuana prohibition.

Uber does literally nothing to disrupt the medallion system's in the US.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kim Jong Il posted:

You can already order cars directly from most manufacturers if you really want, you just have to have enough money to make it worth their time. Small time automakers are almost exclusively direct orders too. It's also never been illegal to order a Tesla directly from Tesla's website, and it's what they make you do if you go to most of their fake dealerships.

Also Uber has practically nothing to do with taxi medallions - medallions in most cities that have them are for street-hails only. The whole point of Uber is that you're not doing a street hail, you're doing a dispatch. Cities that require medallions for all forms of taxis also do't limit the number of medallions available eg DC.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TheFluff posted:

source your crowdfunding pitches

yes please, that sounds amazing

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Uber does literally nothing to disrupt the medallion system's in the US.

This is pretty hard to reconcile with the impact to medallion values in major American cities post-Uber.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

roymorrison posted:

are you guys at least willing to admit that teslas are the only electric vehicles that dont look absolutely terrible? They seem like the least offensive tech company to me
Tesla interiors always look and feel terrible. The interior of the car is the only part I generally have to deal with. Even ignoring the interior the Chevy Bolt looks the exact same as any other subcompact on the market, so no Tesla doesn't really get any bonus points in that department either.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Yes I will defend those regulations just like I'll defend any law meant to prevent vertical integration. Those are good, just like the ones that targeted Hollywood studios and the ones that targeted slaughterhouses. The medallions are stupid but significantly less stupid than the "no regulation whatsoever" that Uber pretends is the rule of the day.

blah_blah posted:

This is pretty hard to reconcile with the impact to medallion values in major American cities post-Uber.
They disrupt medallions the way illegal immigration disrupts legal immigration into the US.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

blah_blah posted:

That has more to with Uber running its services at a loss than anything. Medallion systems only restrict which taxi's are allowed to look for hails.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Here is a link to the front page and About Us page.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 28, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes I will defend those regulations just like I'll defend any law meant to prevent vertical integration. Those are good, just like the ones that targeted Hollywood studios and the ones that targeted slaughterhouses.

What specific effects do you feel that the dealership model is preventing? I have not deeply studied the ramifications of vertical integration.

I'm told by both Tesla and GM staff that the reason none of the traditional manufacturers aren't allowed to provide software updates is that the dealers won't let them outside of narrow things like map updates. They want people to have to get a new car to benefit from any improvements.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blah_blah posted:

That was mostly a weird bubble, which was atypical of previous medallion cost history. Once it becae known that medallions were jumping in price, auction prices started to spike, like people chasing a housing bubble.

As of 2016 the prices had fallen back to the ~$250,000 they had sat at in the early 2000s. There had also been, in the meantime, the introduction of the Boro Taxi medallion class in NYC which were medallions that could only be used for street hail trips originating outside the central areas of Manhattan and Brooklyn. That did a lot to reduce how much people were bidding up regular medallions.

Yes I will defend those regulations just like I'll defend any law meant to prevent vertical integration. Those are good, just like the ones that targeted Hollywood studios and the ones that targeted slaughterhouses. The medallions are stupid but significantly less stupid than the "no regulation whatsoever" that Uber pretends is the rule of the day.

There's nothing stupid about restricting the number of cars that are constantly driving looking for passengers (most US medallions) or establishing a baseline of background checks and vehicle inspection (the rest of the US medallion systems).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The medallion system is not stupid. It's a really good idea to artificially limit the number of cars driving around the city looking for passengers because it minimizes their impact on traffic (not to mention externalities such as air and noise pollution) while also guaranteeing a certain standard of living for medallion holders. Yes, it's not a perfectly fair system, and being able to trade medallions has resulted in unintended side effects, but it's far more preferable to a laissez-faire approach.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
However, car dealerships provide negative utility and should be taken out back and shot.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

blowfish posted:

However, car dealerships provide negative utility and should be taken out back and shot.

I mean given that they're now basically just franchises, I'm not sure how good of a job of preventing vertical integration they're really doing.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

fishmech posted:

That was mostly a weird bubble, which was atypical of previous medallion cost history. Once it becae known that medallions were jumping in price, auction prices started to spike, like people chasing a housing bubble.

I think this is a bit of a just-so explanation (a 'weird medallion bubble', followed immediately by a 'weird ride-hailing app bubble'). The decline in medallion prices doesn't align with any of the major macroeconomic shocks of that timeframe (2008-9, etc). And the forces that supported massive increases in medallion values -- across a wide range of cities and not just NYC -- are certainly related to the ones driving the valuations of both Uber and Lyft right after (namely that a near-monopoly on non-public urban transportation turns out to be worth a lot of money).

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

blowfish posted:

Car dealers provide a location for recalls and repairs, access to OEM parts(admittedly more important before the internet), and at the very least a place to test a vehicle before you purchase it.
They also employ a ton of people.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Peachfart posted:

So do drug cartels.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So do drug cartels.

So did Hitler!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Peachfart posted:

Car dealers provide a location for recalls and repairs, access to OEM parts(admittedly more important before the internet), and at the very least a place to test a vehicle before you purchase it.
So would manufacturer-owned dealerships.

quote:

So would digging holes and filling them back in, at zero rather than negative utility.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I can invision a post dealership world where independent local caryard owners lease repair bays and part warehouses to service the needs of the independent fleet.

This idea is sufficiently like spaceship ports that it should disarm any argument from goons as long as it doesnt require an iOS app.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Could someone at least look at the website? My parents have to turn in the keys to the apartment May 3 and we aren't sure where we'll go.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 24, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fishmech posted:

There's nothing stupid about restricting the number of cars that are constantly driving looking for passengers (most US medallions) or establishing a baseline of background checks and vehicle inspection (the rest of the US medallion systems).

In fact, one of the big problems that ride hailing services cause is additional traffic in congested areas, because despite being dispatched, their drivers prowl as if they accepted street hails.

If they're going to prowl, they should be required to get medallions. Otherwise they should be required to park when not in service, to avoid adding to congestion.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's not congestion, it's disruption!

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

galenanorth posted:

Could someone at least look at the website? My parents have to turn in the keys to the apartment May 3 and we aren't sure where we'll go.

In the nicest possible way, this thread is focused on making fun of startups and so probably isn't where you should go for advice. BFC or the software forums would probably be able to help you out

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blah_blah posted:

I think this is a bit of a just-so explanation (a 'weird medallion bubble', followed immediately by a 'weird ride-hailing app bubble'). The decline in medallion prices doesn't align with any of the major macroeconomic shocks of that timeframe (2008-9, etc). And the forces that supported massive increases in medallion values -- across a wide range of cities and not just NYC -- are certainly related to the ones driving the valuations of both Uber and Lyft right after (namely that a near-monopoly on non-public urban transportation turns out to be worth a lot of money).

Try reading the rest of the post, chief. You know, the part about they introduced a whole new class of medallions right after the medallion auctions got really high.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

What specific effects do you feel that the dealership model is preventing? I have not deeply studied the ramifications of vertical integration.

I'm told by both Tesla and GM staff that the reason none of the traditional manufacturers aren't allowed to provide software updates is that the dealers won't let them outside of narrow things like map updates. They want people to have to get a new car to benefit from any improvements.
It's mainly to separate the car itself from the manufacturer. It prevents a least only model of "cars as a service" and releasing intentionally broken products then patching them later. We've found time and time again every single time you make it easier for a coporation to sell a broken product to the customer without some form of check they will do so more often. Patches to cars are bad because it would result in cars with steering assistance as buggy as Ubisoft games on release.

Also just as a general thing the more control you give a corporation over how and where it's products are sold the worse those products are for the end consumer. See block booking and cigarette company's suing countries over anti-smoking laws. Splitting up corporations as much as possible is always a good thing.

fishmech posted:

Sorry "medallions that cost truly titanic amounts of money due to being resellable and awarded by lottery" was the intention. I figured resellability was a built in part of the system. If there's a functional medallion system that doesn't include that my bad.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sorry "medallions that cost truly titanic amounts of money due to being resellable and awarded by lottery" was the intention. I figured resellability was a built in part of the system. If there's a functional medallion system that doesn't include that my bad.

Only specific sorts of medallions were ever subject to that sort of high cost thing. Though I don't understand why being awarded via a lottery is an issue? You can't just give them to everyone who wants one since the purpose of them existing is to ensure there's only a certain amount of cars actively roaming for fares, and it's not like there's some sort of "test of skill" sort of thing that would make sense to determine allocation instead. And not having any resalability at all would be rather ridiculous

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fishmech posted:

And not having any resalability at all would be rather ridiculous

This I don't agree with. I think each medallion should be tied to party it is being issued to and have an expiration date (e.g. 40 years, long enough to last through the working years of an adult). There should be a yearly "re-activation" requirement that costs a meager amount, like $100. Medallions that are not reactivated should expire, opening up spots in the quota for new applicants.

I just don't see the purpose of allowing medallions to be resold. For all intents and purposes, they are licenses that allow someone to operate a taxi. Hair stylists cannot sell their licenses. Why should taxi drivers be able to sell their medallions?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

fishmech posted:

Try reading the rest of the post, chief. You know, the part about they introduced a whole new class of medallions right after the medallion auctions got really high.

There are other major cities in the US besides NYC and coincidentally all of them had more or less the exact same price dynamics despite not introducing a whole new class of medallions. Feel free to look at Chicago, for example (a price decline from roughly $350k in mid-2013 to roughly $70k today).

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 23, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

This I don't agree with. I think each medallion should be tied to party it is being issued to and have an expiration date (e.g. 40 years, long enough to last through the working years of an adult). There should be a yearly "re-activation" requirement that costs a meager amount, like $100. Medallions that are not reactivated should expire, opening up spots in the quota for new applicants.

I just don't see the purpose of allowing medallions to be resold. For all intents and purposes, they are licenses that allow someone to operate a taxi. Hair stylists cannot sell their licenses. Why should taxi drivers be able to sell their medallions?

Because market-based solutions makes everything more efficient! Haven't you heard???

Yes, it would probably be more logical to have non-transferable medallions which get voided if they aren't used enough but public good has never really been the first priority of any US regulation. It's helping your buddies get rich first and servicing the citizens second. :v:

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Then defend them. I want to be able to buy a car online from 20 different retailers trying to undercut each other instead of a bunch of fat dealerships colluding on price and passing along to me giant markups. There's no possibility of vertical integration in auto manufacturing, this isn't the 1930s. Not only should the law go, the thread is right that Tesla is largely a blip, so who gives a poo poo what they do, let them sell direct to consumers.

Hating on medallions does not require a company that does all the other bad poo poo Uber does, hence why I was decoupling the two. They're both popular because these are significant problems, and if your answers are tough, have to stick with the status quo, you're in denial. Consumers have overwhelmingly said that they want an easy app and the ability for individual drivers to operate without medallions. Similarly, everyone loving hates car dealerships, and they'd be dead if the law didn't protect their monopolies. You're basically arguing that everyone should be stuck with Comcast for life because well poo poo, life's tough.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 23, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Kim Jong Il posted:

Then defend them. I want to be able to buy a car online from 20 different retailers trying to undercut each other instead of a bunch of fat dealerships colluding on price and passing along to me giant markups. There's no possibility of vertical integration in auto manufacturing, this isn't the 1930s. Not only should the law go, the thread is right that Tesla is largely a blip, so who gives a poo poo what they do, let them sell direct to consumers.

Hating on medallions does not require a company that does all the other bad poo poo Uber does, hence why I was decoupling the two. They're both popular because these are significant problems, and if your answers are tough, have to stick with the status quo, you're in denial. Consumers have overwhelmingly said that they want an easy app and the ability for individual drivers to operate without medallions. Similarly, everyone loving hates car dealerships, and they'd be dead if the law didn't protect their monopolies. You're basically arguing that everyone should be stuck with Comcast for life because well poo poo, life's tough.

Users don't care about medallions. They care about cost, speed, and ease of use. Along with how cabs had a tendency to claim their credit card machine was broken.
Cost is subsidized by Uber and isn't sustainable. Speed, ease of use, and credit card issues have gotten better with most cab companies coming out with apps that let you pay online.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

Consumers have demanded no such thing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Had anyone discussed Uber stalking people who cancelled their service and uninstalled their app.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Consumers have demanded no such thing.

It's a late-capitolism shibboleth - every shifty company has to preface with some paen to customer choice and/or service.
"To better serve our customers, Wells Fargo will now open accounts even BEFORE they ssk!"
"United now offers a personalized, hands-on deplaning experience to better serve you."

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

Had anyone discussed Uber stalking people who cancelled their service and uninstalled their app.

uninstalled, and then reinstalled on the same phone with a brand new account to claim new account promotions. Yeah it's shady but describing it as stalking is an exaggeration that even Uber doesn't deserve, especially since it diminishes the severity of their other stalking-like behavior like tracking people after their ride ends.

edit: Anyway, I would really like for it to come out that Uber's time estimates are complete bullshit. They've always been so for me, but I'd like proof that it's intentional.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 23, 2017

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ohgodwhat posted:

uninstalled, and then reinstalled on the same phone with a brand new account to claim new account promotions. Yeah it's shady but describing it as stalking is an exaggeration that even Uber doesn't deserve, especially since it diminishes the severity of their other stalking-like behavior like tracking people after their ride ends.

edit: Anyway, I would really like for it to come out that Uber's time estimates are complete bullshit. They've always been so for me, but I'd like proof that it's intentional.

so they say. still they managed to violate apple of all company's privacy rules so i'd say thats really loving intrusive.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

"the power of collective hashtagging"

https://twitter.com/timmaughan/status/856174183063183362

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Storytime is important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

people are still talking about this poo poo in tyool 2017, i thought they were all shamed for this already?