Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Metropolis posted:

like FrameWard because Skye's regret is seemingly that Ward betrayed her, not "I regret loving Ward." She deifnitely misses Lincoln more but in a way she is also satisfied with how their relationship played out because even if it ended in tragedy it was real.

Skye didn't have a regret fixed. That's just how the simulation played out (Ward turns double agent on Hydra, Skye picked up as hacker kid somewhere, aptitude works her way up the ranks of hydra operatives to be subordinate to May, Ophelia is a Skyeward shipper)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

I thought real-world Aida seemed a bit surprised and maybe even a little bit distressed when she came in and found Mace dead. Like, that goes against her programming and what she thinks the Framework is supposed to do... Maybe she's separate enough from Framework Aida and will have a change of heart (or whatever's inside her) and help to get our heroes out by season's end.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

Skye didn't have a regret fixed. That's just how the simulation played out (Ward turns double agent on Hydra, Skye picked up as hacker kid somewhere, aptitude works her way up the ranks of hydra operatives to be subordinate to May, Ophelia is a Skyeward shipper)

I feel like because May saved the kid, the events that led to the other's regrets never came to fruition. So its not so much that Aida fixed their regrets and made them happier, she just found a loophole where in her version of the world those regrets never manifested.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
But there's some sort of time manipulation going on that the characters in the framework don't notice. Because May went in at the time she was rescuing the child, and then apparently went through a few more years (or the equivalent "experience" was uploaded to her character) to reach the current time. And probably this happened to everyone else that Aida put in the framework. So there had to be some fast-forwards, and Aida is able to trigger those, or set the "current time" to whatever she wants and have the characters brought up to synch by gaining (or losing? if moving to the past) simulated experiences.

Maybe we will be getting another time skip then? Like maybe to a future world that has turned even more to poo poo, which could be the writers way out of putting the agents in a guilt trip about having to destroy the framework world once they are out.

Or maybe Aida is reluctant to do anymore of those since there are unknown parameters now (Daisy and Simmons).

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sir Nose posted:

I thought real-world Aida seemed a bit surprised and maybe even a little bit distressed when she came in and found Mace dead. Like, that goes against her programming and what she thinks the Framework is supposed to do... Maybe she's separate enough from Framework Aida and will have a change of heart (or whatever's inside her) and help to get our heroes out by season's end.

I dig the idea of an AI having to fight against a different version of itself, so this sounds good to me. If they take each other out then it keeps our heroes from having to kill anyone, even an evil AI, so that's always a nice bonus too. A face turn is pretty much the only way to keep Aida/Madame Hydra's solid acting around too, but then again that slot is hopefully already filled with a fresh good-guy LMD version of Ward who has to try to wrap his head around his whole reality being an illusion and oh by the way, the real you was soooo evil.

Sadly Batius/Mr. Cloth is doomed no matter what here, because the same stuff I said about Aida definitely applies to him, he's been quite legit throughout.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'd really love one sci fi story to not treat advanced computers as either a world destroying skynet or a soul having human-but-different that deserves rights and poo poo. Just once, just to see how it works.

I liked the AI from DOOM. And the one from Mass Effect Andromeda. And also both of the ones from Person of Interest. Glados from Portal also isn't exactly skynet, she just wants to run tests.

I'm sure there are examples I forget, but there are a bunch of AI who are just highly advanced sentient programs who perform the task they're programmed to do to the best of their ability.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Jemma's eventual goal is to shut the framework down. So in some sense she is planning a giant genocide. I don't know if there are actually 7.4 billion npcs around, but it's a significant number. She's justifying it by claiming that they aren't actually human, but I wouldn't blame Ward or anyone else for trying to stop that.

Hold up.

Hear me out. Shield, after much angst, turns off the Framework. I'm actually seeing as Jemma just flipping the switch while everyone is still arguing.

HOWEVER

Ward's AI mind escapes into an LMD before his word is annihilated. Maybe Madame Hydra/AIDA assists him as a giant "gently caress you" from the grave when she realizes she lost. And season five now has LMD Ward as bad guy.

I'll be looking for my check in the mail, ABC-Marvel.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Framework Ward is technically a ghost. Last season, there was a zombie Ward. Maybe next season Ward becomes Ghost Rider to get the requisite flaming head.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Framework Ward is technically a ghost. Last season, there was a zombie Ward. Maybe next season Ward becomes Ghost Rider to get the requisite flaming head.

Too bad Jeffrey Mace, mighty agent, will be gone by then.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Where are these LMDs being manufactured? Like wouldn't Ward have to escape into an LMD that looked like someone else?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna call it now, Mack accepts that he's in the framework and insists on letting his body in the real world die so he can live peacefully in the framework with his daughter.

Separating him and Spark Plug would be brutal as gently caress.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

CornHolio posted:

I'm gonna call it now, Mack accepts that he's in the framework and insists on letting his body in the real world die so he can live peacefully in the framework with his daughter.

Separating him and Spark Plug would be brutal as gently caress.

It's possible that the writers would kill off the framework daughter and at least make the decision easier for him (heavy psychological trauma aside).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Simmons is totally going to lie to Mack, and pretend that Hope is another person trapped in the framework. I plain can't see Mack leaving otherwise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kind of think there's a chance that Hope just gets LMDed and becomes Moon Girl.

Kinda.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

AbstractNapper posted:

But there's some sort of time manipulation going on that the characters in the framework don't notice. Because May went in at the time she was rescuing the child, and then apparently went through a few more years (or the equivalent "experience" was uploaded to her character) to reach the current time. And probably this happened to everyone else that Aida put in the framework. So there had to be some fast-forwards, and Aida is able to trigger those, or set the "current time" to whatever she wants and have the characters brought up to synch by gaining (or losing? if moving to the past) simulated experiences.

Maybe we will be getting another time skip then? Like maybe to a future world that has turned even more to poo poo, which could be the writers way out of putting the agents in a guilt trip about having to destroy the framework world once they are out.

Or maybe Aida is reluctant to do anymore of those since there are unknown parameters now (Daisy and Simmons).

Time travels significantly faster in the Framework than in reality, Radcliffe sort of mentioned this when Aida pulled him out that one time. It's possible that May has experienced living 40 years worth of false memories in the week she has been imprisoned. Which is going to be a significant mind-gently caress for her when she wakes up. We only assume that Daisy and Jemma entered it at the "current" time, but without a calendar or newspaper displaying the current date inside the Framework, I'm willing to accept that the events they're experience take place + or - 10 years from Real Time.

Also, there is the possibility that Aida's "resets" of the Framework significantly adjust the time like you are describing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

Where are these LMDs being manufactured? Like wouldn't Ward have to escape into an LMD that looked like someone else?

The same facility that cracked out about a dozen Daisy-bots on short-notice.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

flosofl posted:

The same facility that cracked out about a dozen Daisy-bots on short-notice.

Season 5 villain: Chloe Bennet as Grant Ward

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Ojjeorago posted:

Chloe Bennet just plays literally every character on the show.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
Everyone manages to escape the Framework and return to the real world, but instead of going back to their own bodies their minds end up in one of the Daisy LMDs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the ultimate gently caress You, Ward poses for nude pics to ruin Daisy's reputation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dracorion posted:

Everyone manages to escape the Framework and return to the real world, but instead of going back to their own bodies their minds end up in one of the Daisy LMDs.

Why waste a perfectly good chance to have a body swapping farce?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mymla posted:

Chloe Bennet just plays literally every character on the show.

Paging Tom Cavanaugh to the Marvel thread. Tom Cavanaugh, to the Marvel thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress YOU MARVEL CANT HAVE HIM

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So this kind of just hit me, but it's such a good illustration of how vastly different the two are that it can't possibly be an accident: Regular Fitz always flinched at needles. Anything involving bodily invasion, dissection and the like, made him visibly uncomfortable to a comical degree.

Framework Fitz? Invented a machine for the explicit purpose of horrifically painful bodily violation. And he watches it work without even blinking.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Ojjeorago posted:

Ward's come back as everything else, all that's left is the same character in another body. I can see it.

As a bonus, he finally gets over his Skye/Daisy obsession because he can be with her whenever he wants.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm rewatching earlier seasons and I know you guys rag on them for poor writing but there was an exchange that I think is inarguably hilarious

quote:

Smartass Villain Guy: Do you have what it takes to pull the trigger?
Skye: ... Nope! *promptly jumps out of window."

How far she's come.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think those early seasons are as bad on a rewatch, because by now you're invested in the characters and where they're going. You know Jemma and Fitz are going to get there and aren't just being nerd cliches. You know Ward's faking it because he's a psycho. You know May's traumatized. You know Coulson's all mind junked. You know Daisy's lonely and desperately searching for answers. Everything makes a little more sense. Plus you know all the "Clairvoyant" stuff is just a red herring for the real villain.

S1 struggles so badly because it seems directionless and paint-by-numbers with TV tropes. Knowing they plan to subvert a lot of those tropes and actually are going somewhere with a lot of it really makes it go down easier.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ahahahahahahaha Skye pretending to be May is the best

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm rewatching earlier seasons and I know you guys rag on them for poor writing but there was an exchange that I think is inarguably hilarious

How far she's come.

Is that when she leaps out the window and the shot is framed so you have a perfect shot of her rear end?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't recall but tbf AOS has lots of shots framing Chloe's rear end.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't recall but tbf AOS has lots of shots framing Chloe's rear end.

I feel pretty creepy that she was like 19 when that was shot.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Is that when she leaps out the window and the shot is framed so you have a perfect shot of her rear end?

She actually did that stunt herself. I think it is shown in Season 1's blooper video.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the "large file transfer" scene will never not be funny to me.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

double nine posted:

the "large file transfer" scene will never not be funny to me.

Refresh my/our memory on that? Also, I'm re-watching season 3 and just got to the awesome Lash vs Everyone battle in 3x07 Chaos Theory. Great loving fight/episode. I miss Lincoln, even if he was the weakest AoS character.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Apoplexy posted:

Refresh my/our memory on that? Also, I'm re-watching season 3.

Something like Coulson breaks into the building to steal the computer files, Skye is waiting in the van to coach him through the computers, he discovers that everything's on paper so he tells Skye to "expect a large file transfer" and then throws a filing cabinet out the window.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"YOU NEVER HAD ANY TIME FOR HER! YOU ONLY HAD TIME FOR YOUR WORK, AND YOUR PROSTITUTES!"

Jemma could have had a career in acting.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, yeah. The file cabinet gag was quite hilarious. And Jemma's acting on the train was just :lol:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I am betting Daisy or Simmons are going to be running SHIELD at the end of the season. Temporarily, of course.

I really like Aida. I'm disappointed she's just gone full villain.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I hope Ian Quinn comes back before the show ends because I want him dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I am curious why he's never returned. I know his character has been out of "character" for the resulting seasons but it would be nice to see him again.

• Locked thread