Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dom's crew vs Danny Ocean's crew should be the final movie and by them it should have the entirety of Hollywood on both sides.
Dom's crew burns Hollywood to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My dream has always been to have The Expendables vs. Dom's Crew

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dom's crew vs Danny Ocean's crew should be the final movie and by them it should have the entirety of Hollywood on both sides.

Marvel vs Family

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Both Jurassic Park and Fast and Furious are Universal properties, they are the most likely to fight each other. Also the Universal Monsters (Dracula/Wolfman/Mummy/Frankenstein/Creature from the Black Lagoon)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I think The Mummy would have been much better if it was Dom's Crew discovering it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Both Jurassic Park and Fast and Furious are Universal properties, they are the most likely to fight each other. Also the Universal Monsters (Dracula/Wolfman/Mummy/Frankenstein/Creature from the Black Lagoon)

If not actual dinos there could definitely be a JP-branded Truckasaurus Wrex that chomps up cars. Maybe add a little of the theme in there since the music licensing comes easy.

WhyteRyce posted:

I think The Mummy would have been much better if it was Dom's Crew discovering it

The bank safe at the end of Five, but a huge sarcophagus instead.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Rock poo poo talking a bad CGI version of himself

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

WhyteRyce posted:

The Rock poo poo talking a bad CGI version of himself

The Rock fighting CHRISTOPHER CHRISTOPHER CHRISTOPHER CHRISTOPHER

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wacky Races-style Dom's crew vs monsters with their monster-themed cars (Dracula has a coffin-mobile, etc)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Keep Kurtzman and Orci as far away as possible from my Fast & Furious!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Dom feels like Statham's character has to atone for Han, so in the spin-off we go back to Tokyo because Han's younger brother is getting into trouble with Yakuza or something. The Rock gets to mentor Statham on being a father figure and you get to address the cold blooded murder of Han.

Closing your eyes and imagining the possibilities of future F&F movies is more fun than doing the same exercise for the next few Star Warses or superhero franchises.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Penpal posted:

Dom feels like Statham's character has to atone for Han, so in the spin-off we go back to Tokyo because Han's younger brother is getting into trouble with Yakuza or something. The Rock gets to mentor Statham on being a father figure and you get to address the cold blooded murder of Han.

This'll work out because by now Sean Boswell will be in his 20s, which will hopefully look less embarrassing than trying to pass off that guy as a high schooler.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Penpal posted:

Closing your eyes and imagining the possibilities of future F&F movies is more fun than doing the same exercise for the next few Star Warses or superhero franchises.

I dunno, I've thought a Star Wars version of The Searchers, with an old Wedge hunting the remnants of the empire, might be cool.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

NOSferatu

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Idk if I'm just getting old and cranky or something but this movie was so over the top it ended up wrapping around on itself and got super boring. It was like watching one of those stick figure fight scene flash animations only it lasted two hours and I would have walked out if I wasn't there with my wife.

This isn't the first time in recent memory an action movie had turned me off the same way. John Wick 2 also had me just kinda twiddling my thumbs by the end of it. It's not like I hate the entire action genre though, other action movies I've really liked.

Maybe writers and directors need to remember that sometimes even when it comes to action sequences, less is more.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Saw this earlier today. Like everyone else I was kinda annoyed that they glossed over the fact that the Shaws were directly responsible for the deaths of two of their crew, to the point where I thought I missed a line of dialogue somewhere. Also, I was absolutely 100% convinced that the submarine chase would end with an actual nuclear detonation.

Personal series ranking so far:

Remember when this series used to be about stealing DVD players?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

ninjahedgehog posted:

Personal series ranking so far:

I'd personally swap 3 and 2, with 3 on the bottom (I find that Paul Walker and Tyrese dropping 'brah' every 5 seconds is more charming than white-bread southern boy) but otherwise yep this sums it up for me too.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

EvilJoven posted:

This isn't the first time in recent memory an action movie had turned me off the same way. John Wick 2 also had me just kinda twiddling my thumbs by the end of it. It's not like I hate the entire action genre though, other action movies I've really liked.

We don't take kindly to your type around here.

I get what you say, but could you mention some other movies you liked?

I really enjoyed JW and FF, for different reasons. JW has some very good action scenes, and FF is just incredibly fun in how over the top it is.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
John Wick was super awesome. John Wick 2 was basically John Wick but MORE FASTER MORE GUNS MORE SHOOTING MORE TACTICAL RELOADS MORE MORE and tbh didn't have proper pacing and the story made it difficult to empathize with the motivations of the central character in the movie, unlike the original where most people easily could because 'pissed off guy who was going to murder the shithead that stole his car and shot the puppy his dead wife gave him' is extremely easy to empathize with.

Now look at FF where the first movie was 'undercover cop pretending to be a guy that races cool cars befriends guy that races cool cars and runs a crew that hijacks trucks and sells their cargo using cool cars' and while it was kinda dumb it was fun dumb and now it's turned up to 11 where its guy that used to race cool cars and runs a crew of theives is now a superhero guy that runs an elite team of... crime fighters I guess chasing a crazy hacker who wants to steal a submarine and the movie never stopped to take a loving breath and also every attempt at comedy fell flat on its face and I just kinda wanted to leave.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Six had heart with the Letty amnesia plot but it was mostly serviceable and clinical as an action film. Walker dying during production for Seven gave a lot of weight to that film, and the end was somehow one of the most sincere and touching moments I've seen on screen.

The franchise might have been headed the Mission Impossible route were it not for Walkers death, the ending, the song, and the cast being clearly genuinely distressed about it on the press tour. That was the point when the film's family message transcended beyond the characters, to the cast and their interaction with each other and with the fans.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ravel posted:

The franchise might have been headed the Mission Impossible route were it not for Walkers death, the ending, the song, and the cast being clearly genuinely distressed about it on the press tour. That was the point when the film's family message transcended beyond the characters, to the cast and their interaction with each other and with the fans.

And it made them all a dumptruck of cash.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think it's funny how the movie needed a cute white boy in it so they grabbed Scott Eastwood and proceeded to poo poo on his character the entire movie.

I think it's interesting how in the previous instalments, Paul Walker's character had been a partial stand-in for the audience (as well as Roman) but in this one it's Letty - she shares our concern that Dom has betrayed the family (and us, the audience) and becomes the anchor for the film.

edit:

https://www.moviefone.com/2017/04/19/vin-diesel-dwayne-johnson-feud-fast-furious/

the feud is over, our family is no longer torn asunder

well why not fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 24, 2017

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

someone on my fb feed posted this review of Fast 8, I haven't watched the movie can someone confirm if it's true

he further clarified in the comments the person he hates is Theron herself, not the character she plays

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If your only reference for a white woman having a little bit of dreads is Rachel Dolezal then I suppose you could say that Theron looks like her in the film. But that's a bit of a stretch.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Also how can anyone hate Theron? She's great.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tim Whatley posted:

Regarding the ending, I thought naming his son Brian was very predictable and I think it would have been much stronger if he named him Paul.

It mirrors Diesel naming his actual daughter Paulina.

I checked the packaging of the die cast model of Dom's car and it shows the official name of Scott Eastwood's character is Mr Little Nobody.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah he's Little Nobody in the credits too. I'll be pissed if they think they can replace Walker OR Russell with Scott Eastwood.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Too bad Kingsmen is Fox because a Kingsmen/F&F crossover would be the ultimate film that nothing would be able to top

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BexGu posted:

Honestly at this point I think Vin Diesel character is kind of played out/story is basically done in the Fast & Furious franchise, especially without Paul Walker providing a nice counter-balance. Would love the franchise to move more towards a Rock/Jason Statham pairing for future movies but Vin Diesel probably isn't gonna let his franchise go until he is dead in the ground.

I love Statham and Rock, but Diesel is a very particular kind of unique action star that is tailor made for this series. His character, the action Buddha, is the best. He says cool wisdom and seems like he's deep as gently caress, in a funny way, and it's amazing. Reminds me a bit of Solid Snake in the MGS games, especially MGS2, where Snake waxes philosophical and says awesome stuff. We need more of that. Hobbs and Shaw would be a comparatively more generic action movie without that element. It could still be great, but Dom to me is oddly enough a more interesting character to work with.

He's got a happy ending they could leave Dom off on, sure, but they can still get a couple more movies of epic stuff out of him I think. I dig the rumor of a Hobbs/Shaw spinoff on top of these movies though.

If anything, I want more Dom than ever. And then give us some more Riddick movies after, keep the Diesel train rolling.

My thoughts on the movie by the way, very cool! I liked it more than I thought based on the trailers, since the "hero vs hero" thing wasn't my first choice to see again. But they pulled it off in a different way than those recent superhero movies. Overall I thought they did a solid job and kept it fun. I do hope they don't feel the need to further make things "bigger" in the next couple movies though. Definitely don't go to space, I know that's sacrilegious, but I want this to be space free. And Tatum free while we're at it.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 26, 2017

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
LOL Vin Diesel and Dom both suck now. Dom works pretty good as a side character that our main characters (and we) interact with from arms length but he's been totally Poochie-fied in the last couple of movies.

Legendary street racer who speaks in tough-guy-zen baloney but is charismatic (?) enough to pull it off; that's the Dom that works best. The world's greatest hacker has an army of mercenaries and her own Air Force One but can't manage to steal a nuclear football unless she sends Dom in alone to do it for her?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I dunno if she needed Dom to do it for her but because he had thwarted her plans before she liked the idea of forcing him to do it, especially since with that rascally Mr. Nobody around, the Fast & Furious might have been called in to try and stop her.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Human Tornada posted:

LOL Vin Diesel and Dom both suck now. Dom works pretty good as a side character that our main characters (and we) interact with from arms length but he's been totally Poochie-fied in the last couple of movies.

Legendary street racer who speaks in tough-guy-zen baloney but is charismatic (?) enough to pull it off; that's the Dom that works best. The world's greatest hacker has an army of mercenaries and her own Air Force One but can't manage to steal a nuclear football unless she sends Dom in alone to do it for her?

I don't know if you could call him a side character in say Fast Five, one of the best ones. Just give us more tough guy zen baloney greatness to fill his extra screen time in Fast 9, it'll be great. And he's not just a legendary street racer, he's the leader of the most powerful and deadly tactical unit of street racer commandos ever assembled.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 27, 2017

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
These movies really are better team action hero movies than recent comic book movies. Better stunts, better villains, and better super powers (well car driving I guess).

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
"And above all else we don't ever, ever let them get into cars."

(e for accuracy)

superh fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 27, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hobbes is an actual full blown superhuman in this movie. I mean, he did shrug off rubber bullets that knocked out armored guards, tear concrete and dent steel with his bare hands.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah Hobbes is basically Commando Arnold.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darko posted:

Yeah Hobbes is basically Commando Arnold.

Or Rundown Rock.

He ain't called Samoan Hulk for nothing.

Edit: The way it looks like it loops is great. Endless guard towers to smash.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lobok posted:

Or Rundown Rock.

He ain't called Samoan Hulk for nothing.

Edit: The way it looks like it loops is great. Endless guard towers to smash.

I love this movie and I'll watch it anytime it comes on TV. He and Seann William Scott have great comedic chemistry and Christopher Walken is awesome.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
In my pre-Fate series re-watched I determined that The Family basically became super-heroes in 4.

For instance - Dom can hold an engine up on a pulley over a dude's head with one hand, but when he and Brian get into a fist fight, Brian only gets a small bloody nose.

But when Brian slams his FBI co-worker's face into the wall he's immediately bloodied and down for the count. There are just two separate levels of people in the FF universe now.

This divide has only amped up since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
NOS toughens your skin

• Locked thread