Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It's much worse than those cards. You're down a card.

if they're not in his pool tho, moot point. altho i agree, FoW really not something you should play in limited

e: well limited amonkhet, like i guess playing it in cube is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mcmagic posted:

It's much worse than those cards. You're down a card.

I went 3-0 in the event and it's prerelease season. Calm down.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

Went 3-1 at the prerelease. I don't know if anyone cares but you're getting a full tournament report anyway

Rest of pool: https://imgur.com/a/TrrzP

That's a remarkably solid deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Shovelmint posted:

You're thinking Bounty of the Luxa not Luxa River Shrine. Bounty is nuts. Shrine is nots.

River Shrine kept me alive post sideboard against a RB aggro deck. I lost by decking myself

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
So, I've discovered Edifice of Authority is super good in a deck that's not constantly attacking. That's my pre-release report, thank you for listening.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Elyv posted:

- Crocodile of the Crossing was even better than I expected, but that might be because I drew it with Rhonas a lot and Rhonas into Crocodile is gross.
- Quarry Hauler was a bit worse than I expected, a lot of the times I played it it got me no value. Still fine obviously.

Wholeheartedly agree with you on the Crocodile. I had it in my solo pool last night (also G/B) and if my opponent didn't have an immediate response it was usually too much. I really liked Quarry, it did some solid work for me and helped me win a mirror match. Wish I had Hepatra and Rhonas yesterday, that looks like a really fun pool.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

TheMaestroso posted:

So, I've discovered Edifice of Authority is super good in a deck that's not constantly attacking. That's my pre-release report, thank you for listening.

I think that as the format goes on it's going to be a card that keeps going up in pick order. The fact that it's colorless means that pretty much any deck that isn't super aggressive will be happy to play one.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think that as the format goes on it's going to be a card that keeps going up in pick order. The fact that it's colorless means that pretty much any deck that isn't super aggressive will be happy to play one.

Totally. I was thinking that I'd pick it pretty highly already, maybe as high as third or fourth. It could be a real all-star.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Edifice of Authority, in addition to basically being a dick joke, is pretty close to Icy Manipulator. Icy is good.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

It's probably also going give aggressive decks another reason to play cycling artifact removal in the main.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Prerelease turned out pretty good for me. I lost the first round to double mana flood as Rakdos, then I said gently caress it and went full Jund. Turned out great and I won the next three rounds. Glorybringer is as good at limited as everyone thought, and Honored Hydra is an absolute beast too. Had a Lilliana but didn't play her in a single game. Drew her a few times but they were all in cases where I was about to win anyway, and no sense giving away information on my bombs to opponents. Continuing my 3-1 streak. I should really start prerelease by making a deck, then completely redoing it before the first round.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So we are waiting until 10am cst to figure out if standard is saved or not right?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

So we are waiting until 10am cst to figure out if standard is saved or not right?

Because of the way they push out content, we'll probably know 10-15 minutes before that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

InterrupterJones posted:

Apart from drafting Eternal Masters, though, when are you going to be able to cast Force of Will in sealed? If I pulled it I would've played it just to say I could.

Would've been nice for me since I was playing blue, but I'm not lucky enough I suppose. :sigh:

I would play it too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

Pyramid is insane but I think the monuments are pretty unplayable. The whole cycle.

You're nuts. The White Monument is crazy good in sealed.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Entropic posted:

Black Monument was a loving house in 2HG

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I had the Cat Lord in both my pools and T3 White Monument into T4 Cat Lord is the best thing ever.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Pyramid is insane but I think the monuments are pretty unplayable. The whole cycle.

I missed this post but I'm going to need an explanation here because Pyramid looks insanely unplayable to me.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

I missed this post but I'm going to need an explanation here because Pyramid looks insanely unplayable to me.

Yeah, it's absolutely abysmal mana fixing that has to eat a bunch of your mana for 3 turns before it becomes ramp. You better have some drat good 7 or 8 drop you're ramping into for it to be anywhere near worthwhile.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Speaking of which, based on nothing more than the promo D4s they gave out that have the points labeled 1-2-3-bolas horns, I'm guessing Hour of Devastation will have a legendary artifact called Pyramid of Bolas or some poo poo that will turn on at 4 rather than 3 brick counters.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

late to the prerelease trip reports. I opened a pretty anemic pool, after opening my second pack, i pointed out to my friend that i had opened a total of 5 creatures across all colors so far. I ended up getting a decent amount of creatures, but all my bomb removal was in red and I had a total of 4 creatures in red after all 6 packs.
I ended up with a pretty fun zombie tribal WB splashing G. 2 Doomed Dissenters, the WB Zombie, Blighted Bat, Those who Serve, Binding Mummy, Lord of the Accursed and Liliana's Mastery were the core. I also got Start/Finish and the black Trial. Pulled a G/W bicycle land so I decided to splash green for the late game Shefet Monitor, plus the Sandworm enchantment, which is just bonkers if you can stick it. I went from just 100% losing a game against an Angler Drake and Angel of Sanctionsl to 100% winning after I topdecked the 8th land I needed and stuck Sandworm Convergence.

Liliana's Mastery while Lord of the Accursed is on the battlefield feels real nice too.

ended 2-2, felt fine about it

thats my story

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely abysmal mana fixing that has to eat a bunch of your mana for 3 turns before it becomes ramp. You better have some drat good 7 or 8 drop you're ramping into for it to be anywhere near worthwhile.

It's set up cost is basically nothing and you are only really paying 1 mana to put a counter on it a turn which is a fine set up cost unless you're curveing out perfectly. Then when you get 3 counters the thing is insane in this format where you have so many late game mana sinks. The thing is nuts. Especially in sealed.

Entropic posted:

For every time you play this on T3 and get 3-4 warriors off of it, you're gonna draw it on T7 and it will do absolutely nothing. The cost reduction is pretty bad too. Those kind of abilities are never as good as they sound.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 24, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
How many tokens do you need to get in a game to make it worth it? 3-4? That's not asking very much at all. Same for rummages. We'll see how they do in draft but in sealed they're certainly playable.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

It's set up cost is basically nothing and you are only really paying 1 mana to put a counter on it a turn which is a fine set up cost unless you're curveing out perfectly. Then when you get 3 counters the thing is insane in this format where you have so many late game mana sinks. The thing is nuts. Especially in sealed.

It's not just one mana you're paying, it's a card, and that's not nothing.

mcmagic posted:

For every time you play this on T3 and get 3-4 warriors off of it, you're gonna draw it on T7 and it will do absolutely nothing. The cost reduction is pretty bad too. Those kind of abilities are never as good as they sound.

It's bad if you topdeck it late-game with an empty hand, but so is is the pyramid, and I'd argue the pyramid is worse there.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 24, 2017

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i got two mouths to feed in my pool, one of them a prerelease foil, and got to cast mouth exactly once the entire prerelease

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I got to win one game by casting Ribbons and it was glorious.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

i got two mouths to feed in my pool, one of them a prerelease foil, and got to cast mouth exactly once the entire prerelease

The game I had MOUTH and 3 lands in my opening hand I realized I couldn't mull, even though the hand wasn't great.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I played in sealed for Fri/Sat/Sun as I get back into magic for this standard and I gotta say both for and against the pound for pound best card for sealed thats attainable easily enough is the black cartouche. A lot of 1 toughness guys to kill outright with it in this format and just toss it on some jank flier and it will win you the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

The game I had MOUTH and 3 lands in my opening hand I realized I couldn't mull, even though the hand wasn't great.

Not quite constructed playable?

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

ThePeavstenator posted:

My only regret is that I've only won through combat damage so far. One person is gonna take a wild ride before the day is done.

Yeah, I suggest doing the following when you open your 2HG packs:

Game 1:
Epic of all 4 rounds. Opponent casts Pull from Tommorow for 6...so I do the same (for 6).
Untap, cast Approach of the Second Sun, go to 20. Put Approach 7 cards down.
Opponents plays a few spells, drains us to 15.
I play Angel of Sanctum, deal with a threat.
Opponent: "Ok, we win".
Me: "Well, let's see".
Opponents play Glorybringer, kill Angel, play lots of zombies to drain us with WB zombie and black momunent, swing for lethal with Glory, a 6/6 with haste, etc. I chump block to go to 5. Post combat, opponent drains us to one. "Can we do anything else? I guess not. Ok, go. Life totals 15-1, you have no creatures, go".
I have one out.
Which is my second copy of Approach of the Suns, which is on top of my deck. GAME.

Also had a rad sequence where opponent plays 6/6 wurm rare, with 7 mana so I cant Daze. We attack into, he blocks, we deal 4 damage to it to finish it, opponent taps his last mana to +2/+2, I respond with Daze, other opponent responds with +2/+2 and flying. So, I follow up with Compulsary Rest. Two players drawing 6 cards is crazy.

Games 2 - 4 were pretty uneventful.

Game 2: I keep a shaky hand, but get there when I draw lands. I manage to draw both copies of Approach the Suns. We set up some blockers and do some trading. I get Gideon down, who manages not to die. I cast the first copy, going to 30 and make a Gideon Emblem. Our opponents deal 3 damage to Gideon and drop him to 2, commenting how that card is crazy and "Just imagine if you had two Second Suns in your pool.". So, I show them the second copy in my hand!

Games 3 and 4 were pretty much exactly
Turns 1 - 6: Daze/Essence Scatter/Block (Teammate was on G splash R/B with green fatties and 2x copies of the 3 damage red sweeper).
Turn 7: Second Sun.
Turn 8: Pull from Tomorrow for 5 or 6 (playing around Daze).
Turn 9: Second Sun, Game.

Our last round opponents complained because we wouldn't split with them and they said they wanted to leave to go somewhere else. So when we killed them on turn 9, well, then they could leave!

logis fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 24, 2017

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

This format is fun, I thought it was dumb at first but I've warmed up to it. I did 5 Sealed events and a draft and I'm pretty burned out. I played 5 completely different decks in Sealed. 2 were amazing, the others were somewhere in between.

I played:

1. G/B/r -1/-1 counters with Samut. Won most of my games with Samut, or with hexproof Crocodile + black Cartouche. Had Hapatra but she mostly ate removal, but I did get to go off once with her + the B/R uncommon that puts counters on creatures. Went 3-1, losing to a guy with 2 of the 8 mana sandwurm enchantment.

2. R/W/g One Shot Kill with ANOTHER Samut. One-shotted people with Insult/Injury + Mighty Leap several times. Went 3-0-1 split, the deck was loving nuts and killed people out of nowhere constantly.

3. R/W all in aggro with Hazoret's Favor. This deck wasn't great, I went 2-2 but my losses were close, my opponents had Glorybringer and then Liliana. The 2-mana 4/3 minotaur was awesome.

4. U/G/b Cycling grindfest control. I hated this deck so bad but it was the only viable option with the pool I had. I had Glyph Keeper and the other Sphinx as finishers. Edifice of Authority was goddamn MVP. I had a Prowling Serpopard and I was glad to trade it off with a 2 mana 3/1 all day. Went 3-1, losing to a guy who drew more 4/4 fliers than I did.

5. U/W Embalm with Angel of Sanctions and white Doubling Season. This deck was loving crazy and super fun and was a great way to finish off the weekend. I had like 10 embalm creatures, an amazing curve, and pretty decent removal and tempo cards. Anointed Procession was the stupidest thing I've seen all weekend, any game where I drew it was not close. I once had an opponent steal it with Lay Claim even though he couldn't do anything with it, just so I couldn't have it (I bounce it and recast it anyway). I got to make double Angel Mummies multiple times, made double 3/2 vigilance, made double 1/3 soul warden guys, double, 3/2 fliers. I won a game against Liliana because my opponent milled himself out trying to protect her. Went 3-0-1 (split the last round), this was my favorite or second favorite deck of the weekend.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Not quite constructed playable?

Probably not, but if green fatties ends up being a thing (and with Rhonas it could be) feed could maybe make it worth it? IDK, I'm biased since I want to see pros say I CAST MOUTH.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

logis posted:

Yeah, I suggest doing the following when you open your 2HG packs:

Game 1:
Epic of all 4 rounds. Opponent casts Pull from Tommorow for 6...so I do the same (for 6).
Untap, cast Approach of the Second Sun, go to 20. Put Approach 7 cards down.
Opponents plays a few spells, drains us to 15.
I play Angel of Sanctum, deal with a threat.
Opponent: "Ok, we win".
Me: "Well, let's see".
Opponents play Glorybringer, kill Angel, play lots of zombies to drain us with WB zombie and black momunent, swing for lethal with Glory, a 6/6 with haste, etc. I chump block to go to 5. Post combat, opponent drains us to one. "Can we do anything else? I guess not. Ok, go. Life totals 15-1, you have no creatures, go".
I have one out.
Which is my second copy of Approach of the Suns, which is on top of my deck. GAME.

Also had a rad sequence where opponent plays 6/6 wurm rare, with 7 mana so I cant Daze. We attack into, he blocks, we deal 4 damage to it to finish it, opponent taps his last mana to +2/+2, I respond with Daze, other opponent responds with +2/+2 and flying. So, I follow up with Compulsary Rest. Two players drawing 6 cards is crazy.

Games 2 - 4 were pretty uneventful.

Game 2: I keep a shaky hand, but get there when I draw lands. I manage to draw both copies of Approach the Suns. We set up some blockers and do some trading. I get Gideon down, who manages not to die. I cast the first copy, going to 30 and make a Gideon Emblem. Our opponents deal 3 damage to Gideon and drop him to 2, commenting how that card is crazy and "Just imagine if you had two Second Suns in your pool.". So, I show them the second copy in my hand!

Games 3 and 4 were pretty much exactly
Turns 1 - 6: Daze/Essence Scatter/Block (Teammate was on G splash R/B with green fatties and 2x copies of the 3 damage red sweeper).
Turn 7: Second Sun.
Turn 8: Pull from Tomorrow for 5 or 6 (playing around Daze).
Turn 9: Second Sun, Game.

Our last round opponents complained because we wouldn't split with them and they said they wanted to leave to go somewhere else. So when we killed them on turn 9, well, then they could leave!

yeah your pool was awesome. we went 0-2-drop :( i had a shaky U/G Ramp deck that never got where it wanted to go and my partner was doing janky 4 color midrange.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Four colour stuff sounds like a nightmare considering how little fixing there is in this set. :stare:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I never posted my decklist but it was really good. Having two control magic effects was awesome - I stole another Glyph Keeper and a Liliana on Saturday, among other things. Favorite moment was an opponent going on tilt after I cast Rags for no effect in late game once.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Siivola posted:

Four colour stuff sounds like a nightmare considering how little fixing there is in this set. :stare:

There's actually a fair amount in green and 2 common fixing lands (though one is bad). 5c green is probably possible here though I don't know what the payoff would be.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Standard:

No changes

Modern:

No changes

Legacy:

Sensei's Divining Top is banned.

Vintage:

Gitaxian Probe is restricted.

Gush is restricted.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-24

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-24

Legacy :laffo:

Standard: Well its still poo poo.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-24

Announcement Date: April 24, 2017

Standard:

No changes

Modern:

No changes

Legacy:

Vintage:

Gush is restricted.

Effective Date: April 24, 2017

Magic Online Effective Date: April 24, 2017

The list of all banned and restricted cards, by format, is here.

Next B&R Announcement: June 14, 2017 (Effective date for that announcement will be June 19, after Grand Prix Las Vegas)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Standard:

No changes

Modern:

No changes

Legacy:

Vintage:

Gush is restricted.

That seems fine to me.