Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's interesting to see the new models mixed with old Devastators in the new images. I suspect the new marines will be a separate unit and not just the new Tac squad, so as to make them as attractive a purchase for marine players as possible

I'd be unsurprised if this were a "boil the frog" scenario, i.e. these are Tactical Mega Marines, and then 6 months from now you get Devastator Mega Marines and so on until the old marines are totally phased out. I don't know if this is really a problem or not though, since new sculpts are just a thing that happens for long-running minis games. Still, the army size in 40k doesn't really help matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

mixed armor/equipment stuff is easily handwaved away through the fluff, but these new guys look to stand a head taller than the current ones. thats a pretty significant difference

Yeah, but it's not like comparable sizes have ever really meant anything. Catachans were bigger than some marine models. Looking better or worse is a very different situation than two competing units in the game.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
sure, but you know drat well the thought behind these new big marines is most likely to get a majority of the 50% of 40k players to replace all their dudes eventually, since the whole poorhammer shaming bullshit is a real thing

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

sure, but you know drat well the thought behind these new big marines is most likely to get a majority of the 50% of 40k players to replace all their dudes eventually, since the whole poorhammer shaming bullshit is a real thing

Sure, there's a toxic culture surrounding GW and its players, has been for years. But that's not a fault of the game so much as it is a fault of the people who play the games and GW doing nothing to stop it. As long as you can use old marines in GW stores and at official events, then it's hard to treat it as a legitimate criticism.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
not a substantiated criticism yet, but more a girding of the loins i suppose. hence why im interested in the gw store offerings in a years time

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mixed armor/equipment stuff is easily handwaved away through the fluff, but these new guys look to stand a head taller than the current ones. thats a pretty significant difference

We haven't seen a good marine-to-marine comparison yet so I'm not sold on that take. The posing of the legs and the bases make a huge difference. I took a couple photos of my mans as an example: This is a standard tactical marine in power squat next to (new) regular marines from the Deathwatch, who easily stand a head taller because they aren't squatting.

e: Also the 32mm bases are slightly taller

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 23, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

We haven't seen a good marine-to-marine comparison yet so I'm not sold on that take. The posing of the legs and the bases make a huge difference. I took a couple photos of my mans as an example: This is a standard tactical marine in power squat next to (new) regular marines from the Deathwatch, who easily stand a head taller because they aren't squatting.

I'm going with it being a big nothing burger until we know if it's just a new kit or actually a new unit with new in game rules.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You're going to swap out all your marines for tallmarines and by gum you're gonna like it

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Guy Goodbody posted:

loving lol at GW, demanding their models be paid for in money instead of whiskey
That's because they're a British company and not a Scottish company.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DO NOT GIVE GW WHISKY

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
buy GW branded whisky instead! (it's a 750ml bottle of fosters for £55)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Wouldn't GW whisky just be some grain and wood planks?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
a home distilling kit for twice the price of the competition

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hi, use better words, thanks

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

quote:

https://warhammer40000.com/setting/explore-the-factions/

another game another promise broken

where are the nigmos, gw???

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Just played Test of Honour. It was pretty cool. There's a bit of randomness since you can injure yourself on a bad roll or draw an activation token that doesn't help you and lets your opponent get multiple actions in a row, but it's not terrible. If you draw a Fate token instead of a token for one of your units, your samurai at least gains a level and has a new skill for the rest of the game, which is a nice balance to losing your action. A single game took about 20 minutes, but we only played the first two scenarios. Maybe the larger games take longer.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Everyone in this thread is far too invested in other people having fun that you can't even enjoy a game update without enough drama to cover 30 seasons of a show.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ijyt posted:

Everyone in this thread is far too invested in other people having fun that you can't even enjoy a game update without enough drama to cover 30 seasons of a show.

and you're here with us. :allears:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

and you're here with us. :allears:

He posted the same thing in the 40k thread.

I'm enjoying how many people in the 40k thread are immediately thanking GW for the chance to change the game massively because the rules are an absolute mess and many of them don't even understand how core game mechanics are supposed to work, plus things like formations are awful.

It's nice to see so many secret death threaders.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I really really really realyl really really hope new 40K is a fun and enjoyable game, because I still love the lore in this dumb game, many of the models are kicking rad, I already have several armies' worth of stuff under my bed and like 95% of the people here play 40K (or AOS, god damnit) so it'd be cool to be able to play some 40K again.

That being said, I'm not holding my breath.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

(or AOS, god damnit)

I have some bad news for you.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just played Test of Honour. It was pretty cool. There's a bit of randomness since you can injure yourself on a bad roll or draw an activation token that doesn't help you and lets your opponent get multiple actions in a row, but it's not terrible. If you draw a Fate token instead of a token for one of your units, your samurai at least gains a level and has a new skill for the rest of the game, which is a nice balance to losing your action. A single game took about 20 minutes, but we only played the first two scenarios. Maybe the larger games take longer.

Neat. I was going to look into this or the osprey samurai game after the rising sun board game comes out. The actual board game looks like rear end but ~70ish minis with that quality for $100 is a decent deal. If it doesn't work out, could always use them in KOW anyway.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chill la Chill posted:

Neat. I was going to look into this or the osprey samurai game after the rising sun board game comes out. The actual board game looks like rear end but ~70ish minis with that quality for $100 is a decent deal. If it doesn't work out, could always use them in KOW anyway.

I got Ronin in a Bundle of Holding awhile back so we're going to try that out in the near future too.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That poor Space Marine statue is gonna get some company under the stairwell when the new Age of Emperor marine displaces Ol Sigmarine

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Nothing and no one is going to replace AOS on the IP suicide mountaintop.

They loving unfurled a giant statue and had a canned speech for their staff like a goddamned banana republic. They literally invalidated millions of dollars and hours of their fans investments as a complete loving surprise. When people complained they told them to pretend to ride a horse.

No one is ever topping that. There should be an OJ Simpson style TV drama about it.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
40k was never going to get as harsh a treatment as fantasy.

40k has great iconic lore and a unique setting. Fantasy had a bland Tolkienesque lore with largely generic races.
No need to change 40k here.

40k sells space marines like a mofo. Fantasy 'needed ' a new unique race of fantasy marines to replace their generic humans, and sell like mofos.
No need to change 40k here either.

The new fantasy main good human race needs lore and insertion to the story, and the old story is too bland, so they blow up the world and invalidate all the old lore.

I expect some old 40k characters to die or w/e as they 'advance the story line' but not much more than that.

The rules are almost certain to be short and poorly written and upsetting to everyone who likes the game, and result in a mosh pit rolling 3+ 4+ in the middle of the table.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Here's the new map of 40k galaxy. Remember the Eye of Terror? Well, we've got a new and improved warp rift now. Also, Cadia is gone, Attila belongs to the Necrons and Prospero has popped back up. Can't spot any other major differences. Tyranids seem pretty absent.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Tyranids seem pretty absent.
They haven't crossed into the galaxy yet, have they? I thought I remembered them only at the fringe of the galaxy. Of course, my Nid fluff is way out of date...

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

They haven't crossed into the galaxy yet, have they? I thought I remembered them only at the fringe of the galaxy. Of course, my Nid fluff is way out of date...

Fringe army, fringe of the galaxy. Makes sense.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah it was always that only the foremost tendrils of the hive fleet were coming from the galactic north or whatever.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That map also doesn't seem to show any Eldar at all, just Tau and Necrons labeled and random Ork symbols stamped everywhere. I guess that means its curtains for the Eldar!

I just realized that apparently Eldrad Ulthran isn't dead any more? That's a thing? It looks like they just completely ignored the whole hash they made of the black crusade campaign in the new book.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The tyranids are returning to their home planet, because their home planet needs them

Note: The Tyranids died on the way back to their home planet

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

The tyranids are returning to their home planet, because their home planet needs them

Note: The Tyranids died on the way back to their home planet

HEY DOODZ WHO WANTS TO EAT ALL THE RAD BIOMASS?!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ashcans posted:

That map also doesn't seem to show any Eldar at all, just Tau and Necrons labeled and random Ork symbols stamped everywhere. I guess that means its curtains for the Eldar!

I just realized that apparently Eldrad Ulthran isn't dead any more? That's a thing? It looks like they just completely ignored the whole hash they made of the black crusade campaign in the new book.

Not dead. They pretty much reset time back to the 13th Black Crusade, and that is going to be the "new" setting for 40K going forward.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not dead. They pretty much reset time back to the 13th Black Crusade, and that is going to be the "new" setting for 40K going forward.

Also they changed the outcome to the one they were originally trying to railroad before the Ork players got hosed off with being NPCs and went renegade, I believe, though that player campaign was well before my ham time

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Here's the new map of 40k galaxy. Remember the Eye of Terror? Well, we've got a new and improved warp rift now. Also, Cadia is gone, Attila belongs to the Necrons and Prospero has popped back up. Can't spot any other major differences. Tyranids seem pretty absent.

This looks like a brave and exciting new galaxy to enjoy GW products in :)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

dmnz posted:

40k has great iconic lore and a unique setting. Fantasy had a bland Tolkienesque lore with largely generic races.

I remember the bit in LOTR where Pippin wanders through a battle between confederate elf america and aztec lizardmen.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

NTRabbit posted:

Also they changed the outcome to the one they were originally trying to railroad before the Ork players got hosed off with being NPCs and went renegade, I believe, though that player campaign was well before my ham time

I think that was the fantasy campaign, where Orks just kind of donked Archaeoeoan

The old Eye of Terror campaign was a cool idea, mediocre execution. Lots of wonky results on both sides, and when Chaos started clowning the order side (order had way more players with space marines, but a lot more bad players and this was when Chaos had that sweet early 4th edition codex with all the legion lists), they softened the result to basically be "stalemate, with Chaos gaining a foothold." I don't remember the Orks really having much of a role, but they had a much bigger part in the Armageddon campaign that got run a two years prior (that's when they released the big metal ghazkhull, Salamanders, and Black Templar)

It was a cool enough idea--play a game, then post your results to the campaign, choosing a planet to be fighting over--but there was little in the way of controls for faking results (iirc if your opponent verified the game result, you'd score the game 5x or something) and there wasn't enough support/interaction with FLGSes to hold sanctioned campaign events that weren't in the scattered pool of GW stores. Still, it was fun and novel when they did it--there wasn't exactly a template for this kind of event back in 2003.

Then they backed things up in 6th/7th to pre-campaign timing, which meant Eldrad was still alive. Fluff-wise he was also instrumental in doing stuff to make the new Eldar god happen

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
40k and fantasy are both super-derivative but it's a bit less obvious in 40k because it takes a bunch of fantasy stuff and writes "space" on top of it

fantasy's setting is more interesting though because it's not *totally* overrun with grimderp bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dmnz posted:

The new fantasy main good human race needs lore and insertion to the story, and the old story is too bland, so they blow up the world and invalidate all the old lore.
Fantasy wasn't bland, it just wasn't trademark-able.

• Locked thread