Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Millions posted:

:yeah:
Derek Yu said he'd "love to see Spelunky on Switch" fwiw

Jeff Kaplan said he'd love to see Overwatch on the Switch as well

Doesn't mean it's gonna happen, gotta put in the effort :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Infinitum posted:

Jeff Kaplan said he'd love to see Overwatch on the Switch as well

Doesn't mean it's gonna happen, gotta put in the effort :shrug:

I can see one being way easier to port then the other

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Why they didn't release a compilation for Switch with 1-3, I'll never know...

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

They should release Starcraft 64 on the virtual console.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Millions posted:

:yeah:
Derek Yu said he'd "love to see Spelunky on Switch" fwiw

he said that poo poo for linux, mac, and wii as well

derek yu says a lot of things but none of the things he says seem to ever come to fruition

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

General Morden posted:

he said that poo poo for linux, mac, and wii as well

derek yu says a lot of things but none of the things he says seem to ever come to fruition

There's probably some money in it for him this time doing a Switch port so my hopes will stay up.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

AlphaKeny1 posted:

They should release Starcraft 64 on the virtual console.

I doubt Blizzard wants to remind people of the existence of a shittier version of Starcraft I right now when they're promoting Starcraft I Remastered.

I beat Starcraft 64, all missions, including the special bonus mission Resurrection IV you get if you beat the campaign without using a single cheat code.

Resurrection IV is a two player co-op mission.

I beat it by myself with two N64 controllers. That's about the peak gamer thing I've ever done and I don't think I'll ever top it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Patter Song posted:

I doubt Blizzard wants to remind people of the existence of a shittier version of Starcraft I right now when they're promoting Starcraft I Remastered.

I beat Starcraft 64, all missions, including the special bonus mission Resurrection IV you get if you beat the campaign without using a single cheat code.

Resurrection IV is a two player co-op mission.

I beat it by myself with two N64 controllers. That's about the peak gamer thing I've ever done and I don't think I'll ever top it.

1 time I Reaper Rushed a base in Bronze League and it worked.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hace posted:

Put spelunky on switch imo

strong agree. for me it would turn the switch from a nearly-always docked console into something that i take literally everywhere

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
I just preordered Mario Kart in real bitter coated form to piss off that one dude.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I will digitally buy the Mario Kart

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

a.lo posted:

I will digitally buy the Mario Kart

no, don't

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I don't even know if my Switch still comes out of the dock or if heat has warped the casing to the point that it's wedged in there. I can't try lifting it out to check, because I never applied a screen protector and lifting it out of the dock might scratch it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I don't even know if my Switch still comes out of the dock or if heat has warped the casing to the point that it's wedged in there. I can't try lifting it out to check, because I never applied a screen protector and lifting it out of the dock might scratch it.

If you leave your switch docked for over 72 hours it basically fuses to the dock and you have to send it back to Nintendo for about a month or buy a new one at Walmart and return the melted one.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Has anyone ever needed to get their Wii U gamepad repaired? The right trigger on my is sticking and I'm worried it may be more than a simple cleaning issue.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Patter Song posted:

So, um...

NeoGAF is claiming that this: https://rainway.io/ is going to be a thing.

It's apparently an app that streams games from your PC to your Switch, and the devs are claiming that Nintendo is OK with this and it'll be on the eShop.

Somehow, I suspect that Nintendo just didn't understand what this thing is going to do and isn't going to be very keen on it when they find out.

SeANMcBAY posted:

If this happens it would cement the Switch as the best console and handheld.

I doubt remote streaming of any kind would be stable enough to warrant it being "next big thing." Also "play stardew valley from your phone" how, and why. I thought people liked the switch because it has actual buttons, I'd never want to stream loving FF15 into something like that.

"Rainway handles configuring your network and securing your connection so the only thing you have to worry about is playing your games" Hahaha ok

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Has anyone ever needed to get their Wii U gamepad repaired? The right trigger on my is sticking and I'm worried it may be more than a simple cleaning issue.

Mine had a sticking dpad so I sent it in and got it back within a week.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yeah, the only caveat is you'll have to go into the Switch home menu and "split" the joyconns into separate controllers there. It seems to work as expected even if you're in the middle of a run, though, so that's cool.

In general, can you split the joycon like this on other games and make it so you have, say, 3 usable controllers for Mariokart? (L,R, Pro)?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

ya, it was pretty painless

they sent me an overnight box to mail it in

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

"Rainway handles configuring your network and securing your connection so the only thing you have to worry about is playing your games" Hahaha ok

MyStErIoUs NeTwOrK mAgIkS

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Patter Song posted:

So, um...

NeoGAF is claiming that this: https://rainway.io/ is going to be a thing.

It's apparently an app that streams games from your PC to your Switch, and the devs are claiming that Nintendo is OK with this and it'll be on the eShop.

Somehow, I suspect that Nintendo just didn't understand what this thing is going to do and isn't going to be very keen on it when they find out.

if that turns out to be real

holy poo poo

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
my uncle works at nintendo and he says

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i just finished playing Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and it has to be one of my favorite games. it’s right up there with the original Metroid Prime and Zelda: Breath of the Wild

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Probably just uses the "push to connect" button on your router? IDK.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

a.lo posted:

i just finished playing Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and it has to be one of my favorite games. it’s right up there with the original Metroid Prime and Zelda: Breath of the Wild

All the Metroid primes are real good and we'll never get any new ones

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It will never happen, but it would be great if Nintendo allowed devs to make games work with generic USB controllers on a per-game basis like on the PS3. It was the coolest thing ever when we had 5 players for Bomberman Ultra but only 4 controllers, then I tried plugging in a Gravis Gamepad from 1999 and it actually loving worked.

Wii and Switch both work with USB keyboards but I'm not sure where that's useful for anything.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It will never happen, but it would be great if Nintendo allowed devs to make games work with generic USB controllers on a per-game basis like on the PS3. It was the coolest thing ever when we had 5 players for Bomberman Ultra but only 4 controllers, then I tried plugging in a Gravis Gamepad from 1999 and it actually loving worked.

Wii and Switch both work with USB keyboards but I'm not sure where that's useful for anything.

My dream of a portable MMO that's what

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Monster Hunter obviously.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Now that Bomberman is apparently good, can someone explain Bomberman to me? What is the gameplay loop? Why is it such an enduring franchise? What makes it fun?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's hilarity in multiplayer but don't pay $50 for a bomberman just get it on Xbox 360 for like a dollar

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Feenix posted:

Now that Bomberman is apparently good, can someone explain Bomberman to me? What is the gameplay loop? Why is it such an enduring franchise? What makes it fun?

Look Super Bomberman R is good post-patch, but it's not great. It's a solid 6-7/10 sorta game.
I was pretty hype for it pre-system launch, but honestly it's not a rush-out-and-buy-it-now-that-they-fixed-it deal.
I'd probably wait for a sale on it tbh.

Where it shines is multiplayer. Getting a group of mates around and having a laugh blowing the poo poo out of each other (:wink:) and getting yourself stuck in corners is pure gaming fun.
Single player is kinda meh, but you gotta play it to unlock extra stages for multiplayer. You can play it coop though which is kinda nice.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
The last Bomberman I played was for the SNES, so it was cool to see the additional mission modes in single player. The camera was a huge problem for me with the Switch game, though. It's especially bad in coop single player, where your buddy can stretch the camera away from you and make it nearly impossible to see what you're doing. This type of gameplay begs for an orthogonal camera, but the game has to put it at a slight angle to let you see elevation.

The gameplay is pretty fun though; a 6/10 sounds right.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sale it is. Thanks dudes.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's meh to the point that it's weird that they even bother with single player campaigns. Even if you don't have any friends around and your Internet is down, the multiplayer mode with bots is a better single player experience than the actual single player mode. This is universally accepted and holds true all the way back to the earliest games.

Except Bomberman 64. Bomberman 64 had single player.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If they did just a straight up multiplayer Bomberman with a buncha stages/modes/etc and priced it for $20 on the eShop it would sell like hotcakes, cause who the gently caress doesn't like Bomberman?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I played Bomberman religiously for years on the SNES. I never even touched single player.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Infinitum posted:

If they did just a straight up multiplayer Bomberman with a buncha stages/modes/etc and priced it for $20 on the eShop it would sell like hotcakes, cause who the gently caress doesn't like Bomberman?

true that; i ain't gonna buy a bomberman game for $79.95 no matter how desperate for switch content i am

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Renoistic posted:

I played Bomberman religiously for years on the SNES. I never even touched single player.

The single player is pretty much the same in every classic style Bomberman including R. They changed it up for the 3D ones but those were even worse.

Super Bomberman R is good and pretty much all I can ask for in a Bomberman game now after the patch but it still shouldn't be more than $30. Konami really should sell a multiplayer only version on the eShop.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 24, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Feenix posted:

In general, can you split the joycon like this on other games and make it so you have, say, 3 usable controllers for Mariokart? (L,R, Pro)?

If the game supports an "individual" joycon as a controller then yeah. Not all of them do (BotW is the only one I have that explicitly doesn't, I think), and there doesn't appear to be anything obvious to indicate which games support which controller setups, just "docked/handheld/tabletop". I can't imagine MK8 of all games wouldn't allow for easy 2 player mode, though.

SeANMcBAY posted:

The single player is pretty much the same in every classic style Bomberman including R. They changed it up for the 3D ones but those were even worse.

Super Bomberman R is good and pretty much all I can ask for in a Bomberman game now after the patch but it still shouldn't be more than $30. Konami really should sell a multiplayer only version on the eShop.

I love(d?) Bomberman 64 to death, but throwing it (and the later Bomberman Hero stuff) under the "Bomberman" label seems weird given the only thing it really has in common with the usual Bomberman stuff is "dude in a white and pink ski mask who uses bombs".

Of course the end result is seeing that the Switch Bomberman is 100% what I'd consider "multiplayer" Bomberman even in single player mode just makes me less inclined to buy it so whoops.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
They're selling plastic wheels for MK8 that house individual joycons, so yes, you can use each joycon for another player.

• Locked thread