Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fabulousvillain posted:

Knowing how the Drakengard 3 thread went with this games first teaser being released, Yoko Taro will be in charge of Kingdom Hearts 3 or will move in on Nintendo property for a new Metroid game before the end of this thread.

hmmm, Samus with the same model as Other M but instead of crying when she sees Ridley she starts bad-mouthing him

yeah, i'll allow it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Samus with Kaine's foul mouth would be glorious

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
A Zelda game with Taro Yoko would be amazing. Maybe even a from the bottom up remake of Majora's Mask since there is plenty of poo poo that he could make even more depressing/weird.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Everyone stands around. I let it sit for 15 minutes before saying "gently caress it", so unless I was Trolled By Cavia out of an ending where you leave entirely instead of hanging around, it's pretty much a But Thou Must kind of deal.
Aw, lame.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

Fabulousvillain posted:

Knowing how the Drakengard 3 thread went with this games first teaser being released, Yoko Taro will be in charge of Kingdom Hearts 3 or will move in on Nintendo property for a new Metroid game before the end of this thread.

Since Square Enix owns Tomb Raider, imagine Taro as the director of one of the current generation games. Hell, the first one had a section of Lara swimming in blood! How is that not something he'd have made Zero do?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

HR12345 posted:

Since Square Enix owns Tomb Raider, imagine Taro as the director of one of the current generation games. Hell, the first one had a section of Lara swimming in blood! How is that not something he'd have made Zero do?

She'd have probably just absorbed it in some capacity.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

HR12345 posted:

As I was reading this I thought it does make sense for that scene happening, but what came to mind was another Crystal Dynamics game from about 20 years ago. It's Gex, thats the joke. That game will never get another sequel though since it dates itself so hard with its references and poo poo gameplay. Then again people want Conker's Bad Fur Day to have a sequel, and if that happened I'll be loving worried.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Parts Kit posted:

A Zelda game with Taro Yoko would be amazing. Maybe even a from the bottom up remake of Majora's Mask since there is plenty of poo poo that he could make even more depressing/weird.

Yoko Taro's Platinum Games' Okami 2

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Geostomp posted:

I'm starting to think that 9S is more of a hindrance than help. He's demanding all these unnecessary fights and ignoring the whole "investigation" angle of this mission.

There's a war going on, son. Every filthy machine left alive is a machine you'll need to reduce to scrap later on anyway.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The androids are losing a war to a enemy whose primary footsoldier is the Lv. 1 Stubby. Maybe androids really aren't very good at this war thing?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

KamikazePotato posted:

There's a war going on, son. Every filthy machine left alive is a machine you'll need to reduce to scrap later on anyway.

Suffer not the machine to live.

Well they're not alive in the first place but you get what I mean.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Ratoslov posted:

The androids are losing a war to a enemy whose primary footsoldier is the Lv. 1 Stubby. Maybe androids really aren't very good at this war thing?

I think 2B is going to revolutionize android combat doctrine with her amazing revelation: don't stay in the red beam.

If more than 1/6th of androids could make it from orbit to the surface I bet they'd do better.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It is a But Thou Must kind of deal; the rock covering the new exit doesn't fall away until you stab him 'til the copy comes out and starts screaming the place down.

Not exactly. You could simply

not play.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

LordAba posted:

Not exactly. You could simply

not play.

and then there's this guy

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014
Honestly, you can't really apply the "not playing is a choice!" logic to every single game. There are certain games where it is a real intended choice, like Spec Ops: The Line. But I don't think Nier Automata is one of them. Thus far, I don't get the impression that it is "a game about choices." If anything, I kind of feel like it's meta theme might be something closer to one about futility. But I haven't beaten it yet - and we *definitely* haven't gotten far enough in the thread for me to explain why I feel like that might be a meta theme.

"Not playing is a choice" is to video game analysis what "the blue curtains indicate the author's depression" is to literary analysis - the lazy cliche. Sometimes it's right, but usually it's just lazy pretension.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

apocalypticCritic posted:

Honestly, you can't really apply the "not playing is a choice!" logic to every single game. There are certain games where it is a real intended choice, like Spec Ops: The Line. But I don't think Nier Automata is one of them. Thus far, I don't get the impression that it is "a game about choices." If anything, I kind of feel like it's meta theme might be something closer to one about futility. But I haven't beaten it yet - and we *definitely* haven't gotten far enough in the thread for me to explain why I feel like that might be a meta theme.

"Not playing is a choice" is to video game analysis what "the blue curtains indicate the author's depression" is to literary analysis - the lazy cliche. Sometimes it's right, but usually it's just lazy pretension.

I dunno. Ever see a little documentary called ReBoot? Think about what you are doing every time you load up your game.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

grancheater posted:

Yoko Taro's Platinum Games' Okami 2
It takes place entirely in Japan-occupied Manchuria.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I gotta ask since I got here late due to playing through all of Nier: Automata myself, how many times has Spec Ops: The Line come up already in the thread? I'm counting 1 since I caught up a few episodes ago. There is a non-zero chance it will not happen again, but really I'm kidding myself thinking that will happen.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
this game isn't anything like spec ops the line

for instance, it's actually good

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

mandatory lesbian posted:

Nope. I disagree. Both are good.

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017

"None of this would have happened if you'd just stopped!"

"Stop? Stop? You think I have the luxury to stop? No one stops! It's way too late to stop! No one... STOOOOOPS!!"

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

CesspoolofHatred posted:

"None of this would have happened if you'd just stopped!"

"Stop? Stop? You think I have the luxury to stop? No one stops! It's way too late to stop! No one... STOOOOOPS!!"

It could be said that, in regards to this situation, there is no capacity to go on

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

I wouldn't go that far, but I really hate that everyone only seems to remember the most pretentious and stupid part of it: "Just stop playing the game, thats a choice right?:smug:"
Now every time something implies something like violence/war is bad it gets compared to Spec Ops: The Lines shittiest part. You know what never mind, gently caress that game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is the best part of the game for how angry it makes manchildren

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Plus "you could just not play :smug:" makes you sound like a twat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can just not play it's an option.

But being smug is more fun I guess.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

In the case of the creator saying so, there's also the counter-argument of "then why are you selling it?"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

In the case of the creator saying so, there's also the counter-argument of "then why are you selling it?"

But that doesn't follow at all.

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017

Zomborgon posted:

It could be said that, in regards to this situation, there is no capacity to go on

"I know the truth is hard to hear, Walker. But it's time. You're all that's left. And we can't live this lie forever."

"This. Cannot. Continue."

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is the best part of the game for how angry it makes manchildren

Did it make people mad? I just thought it was just a lame part of a video game that had better parts to it. But I didn't even play it, only saw an LP a few years after it came out, so that ship has sailed.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 24, 2017

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

But that doesn't follow at all.

"The real best option was not to play it!"

"Then why are you selling me a product which is a game meant to be played?"

It just seems that there are some cross purposes in that particular interaction. That said, I did enjoy playing that game and they had some good inspiration that isn't seen in most of the genre, but it doesn't stick out to me as more than a minor blip above the norm.

Automata, meanwhile, hits basically every aspect required to make it fantastic in my eyes.

e: words hard

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 24, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Zomborgon posted:

"Then why are selling me a product which is a game meant to be played?"

It just seems that there are some cross purposes in that particular interaction. That said, I did enjoy playing that game and they some good inspiration that isn't seen in most of the genre, but it doesn't stick out to me as more than a minor blip above the norm.

Automata, meanwhile, hits basically every aspect required to make it fantastic in my eyes.

To be fair that sounds like something Taro would love. Like his "game that is 3 minutes long but is still sold at $60" example of impossible games

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

"Then why are you selling me a product which is a game meant to be played?"

It just seems that there are some cross purposes in that particular interaction. That said, I did enjoy playing that game and they had some good inspiration that isn't seen in most of the genre, but it doesn't stick out to me as more than a minor blip above the norm.

e: words hard

That only is a choice if you choose not to play.

There is another option

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if the choice is not to play or play, it should probably be advertised on the games cover so people know not to buy it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"not playing is an option" is about as useful as saying that taking the Spec Ops disc out of the XBOX 360 drive and using it as a coaster is a gameplay option, or that "watching" a film by taking the DVD out and breaking it is a valid "reading" of a film.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Iretep posted:

if the choice is not to play or play, it should probably be advertised on the games cover so people know not to buy it.

Technically everyone who has made a choice to not play bad video game Spec Ops The Line is therefore guilty of pirating it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Iretep posted:

Every game has that option.

It would be pointless.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Every game has that option.

It would be pointless.

If every game has that option why is it significant in Spec Ops?

There was a tossed off line in an interview somewhere that claimed that quitting the game represented Walker going home, but that isn't very compelling because absolutely nothing in the game justifies that inane reading of the "quit" mechanic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Because manchildren are dumb and whiny.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It should be noted that "you can choose to walk away from the game" wasn't a built-in goal of Spec Ops: the Line, it was one of the devs who got a bit up his own rear end when gushing about what they'd managed for the feel of the thing. The context was along the lines of "you don't need to be involved, you can in theory choose to walk away from the game, but you keep playing and so when the game faces the consequences of where it goes, part of the sting is because you participated more than if you'd just watched a movie." Valid in its own right when talking about why the game can feel intense, but it can be misread (or ripped out of context) as "if you don't put the game down you're just as bad a person as the protagonist."

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't remember the source but the interview I read pretty explicitly claimed that turning the game off was a valid narrative choice in the WP scene, which isn't justified by anything in the game itself.

• Locked thread