Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

ookiimarukochan posted:

Says the Nazi gold hoarding Zurich Gnome.

I'm glad someone is willing to address the elephant in the room here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EmptyVessel posted:

Would love to do this, but unhappily I'm in Berwickshire, Roxburgh & Selkirk so..

I've been to Selkirk. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Jedit posted:

I've been to Selkirk. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

It's not that bad. Like Aberdeen it has some great countryside around it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

EmptyVessel posted:

It's not that bad. Like Aberdeen it has some great countryside around it.

Pish football team though. Same can be said for the entire constituency. Can't trust a place in Scotland that likes rugby more than football.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Pish football team though. Same can be said for the entire constituency. Can't trust a place in Scotland that likes rugby more than football.

Not interested in either, but I'd rather have rugby players (not to mention all the horseback Common Riding nutters) when the UK self-destructs and we need to reman Hadrians wall in the post-apocalyptic hellscape.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hoops posted:

I believe in the general worthiness of polls, but I'm not buying 1 in 3 people in Scotland voting Conservative, I'm just not.

22% of people Voted Tory in the last Holyrood election so I'm not sure why you're finding it unbelievable in the current political climate other than clutching onto the false notion of Scotland as a liberal left wing country.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

It'll probably be pissing into the wind but I reckon voting labour can't do any harm up here. It looks like it's mostly going to be libdems vs SNP for the GE and they're both shite so you might as well go for labour as a protest vote.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Aramoro posted:

22% of people Voted Tory in the last Holyrood election so I'm not sure why you're finding it unbelievable in the current political climate other than clutching onto the false notion of Scotland as a liberal left wing country.

Hoops isn't being willfully naive here: 33% would be a staggering result, and the best tory performance in Scotland since 1974. More than anything, I think, it shows how two constitutional issues have completely reframed Scottish (and British) politics. Both for the worse, in my opinion.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

Not interested in either, but I'd rather have rugby players (not to mention all the horseback Common Riding nutters) when the UK self-destructs and we need to reman Hadrians wall in the post-apocalyptic hellscape.

Yeah, but the rugby players will all be working to ensure we remain in the union. Dodgy types.

Aramoro posted:

33% is quite a significant increase on 22%. In fact it's a 50% increase in the space of one year.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Niric posted:

Hoops isn't being willfully naive here: 33% would be a staggering result, and the best tory performance in Scotland since 1974. More than anything, I think, it shows how two constitutional issues have completely reframed Scottish (and British) politics. Both for the worse, in my opinion.

Whilst I don't think we'll reach 33% here I think close to 30% is not too wild. They got 12% in 2011 (SE), 15% in 2015 (GE), 22% in 2016 (SE). So between the GE in 2015 and the SE in 2016 they picked up 7% in vote share. Now granted there's a big difference between UK and Scottish elections but I could see them getting in the region of 25-28% total share.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Mostly picking up Labour unionists, I'd assume.

What kind of person cares so much about the union they'd leave Labour for the Tories?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

What kind of person cares so much about the union they'd leave Labour for the Tories?

One who believes the consequences of independence would be worse for them than another Tory government?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

Robert Bontine Cunninghame Graham.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

One who believes the consequences of independence would be worse for them than another Tory government?

So an idiot. Fortunately for the Tories those are hardly in short supply.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

This is totally unrelated to anything, but a new paper has just been published re-examining the way alcohol consumption is estimated in Scotland. Nothing especially surprising in the findings (self-reported consumption is a piss-poor measure for multiple reasons; people, and especially men, drink too much; alcohol consumption is highest amongst males in deprived areas), but interesting nonetheless, and worth mentioning since it suggests that alcohol-related issues are worse than previously thought (and they were already thought to be bad), and that alcohol consumption by men in deprived areas has been under-estimated thus far.

quote:

Initial adjustment for non-response resulted in estimates of overall mean weekly consumption that were elevated by up to 15.1% [26.5 units (18.6 - 34.4)] compared with corrections based solely on socio-demographic data [22.5 (17.7 - 27.3)]; other drinking behaviour estimates were little changed. Under more extreme assumptions the overall difference was up to 53% and calibrating to sales estimates resulted in up to 87% difference. Increases were especially pronounced among males in deprived areas

quote:

Adjusting for differential participation resulted in elevated estimates of weekly alcohol consumption. This was particularly pronounced among men living in the most deprived areas, operating chiefly through the elevated levels of alcohol-related harm experienced by non-respondents in this group. Among women the correction did not have a substantial impact on the level or patterning of weekly consumption. Generally, the prevalence of non-drinkers and binge drinking were not materially affected by adjustment. For problem-drinking, there tended to be a proportionally larger change in the more deprived quintiles.

quote:

for men, overall levels and socio-economic differences in consumption were under-estimated.

quote:

The percentage increase in weekly units consumed from the survey-weighted estimate to the MAR adjustment among males was typically the greatest in the most deprived quintile (+4.9% in 1995, +3.6% in 1998, +17.8% in 2003 and +13.6% in 2008-2010 compared with -1.6%, +4.4%, -2.6% and -13.6%, respectively in the least deprived quintile

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Do all parties do this these days

Or just the snp?

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

They've all done that for years. I remember doing a mock election in 2001 and we got assigned our parties and got these things - some even included rosettes.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/856651768838664192

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That's quite a poll I imagine some people are furious with it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Just a bit saddened really.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

That's quite a poll I imagine some people are furious with it.

What is with your lack of understanding? You of all people know Corbyn is going to get trashed. We're stuck with the Tories for 5-10 years at least. Scotland has a chance of escaping a decade of more misery. And yet you belittle them for even wanting the chance.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

What is with your lack of understanding? You of all people know Corbyn is going to get trashed. We're stuck with the Tories for 5-10 years at least. Scotland has a chance of escaping a decade of more misery. And yet you belittle them for even wanting the chance.

My understanding is that Scottish independence would be bad for Scotland and bad for the rest of the UK.

Beware of nationalists offering easy solutions: whether they're scapegoating Westminster or Brussels.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Wait, so Scots are turning Tory/pro-Brexit now?

Why?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

El Perkele posted:

Wait, so Scots are turning Tory/pro-Brexit now?

Why?

In a nutshell, it's less to do with Brexit (though that's still involved in a lot of areas like the north east) and more to do with independence. Namely Unionism in Scotland used to be one of the main planks of the Scottish Labour Party, but now that Labour has withered away to a form that someone from 1965 wouldn't recognise as even vaguely possible the Tories have successfully pushed themselves as the one party to vote for if you are a Scot who supports the union, everything else be damned. They are also helped by Ruth Davidson's successful detoxifying of the Tory brand in Scotland (though in fairness that was started under the previous leader of the Scottish Tories, Annabel Goldie, who I think has largely ended up forgotten despite doing a lot to steady the ship), and in particular the fact she's quite likeable by the standards of politicians. She's also gay, which was quite a big deal for a the Tories at the time. The Greens had Patrick Harvie as a gay leader, but the Greens having a gay leader is a trillion times less notable than the Conservatives.

So it's not all about independence, but the fact that the SNP have gone for another referendum this soon after the first failed has definitely given them a shot in the arm.

Alternatively, it's just that everyone is awful and the worst possible outcome will almost always triumph. I dunno.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

forkboy84 posted:

In a nutshell, it's less to do with Brexit (though that's still involved in a lot of areas like the north east) and more to do with independence. Namely Unionism in Scotland used to be one of the main planks of the Scottish Labour Party, but now that Labour has withered away to a form that someone from 1965 wouldn't recognise as even vaguely possible the Tories have successfully pushed themselves as the one party to vote for if you are a Scot who supports the union, everything else be damned. They are also helped by Ruth Davidson's successful detoxifying of the Tory brand in Scotland (though in fairness that was started under the previous leader of the Scottish Tories, Annabel Goldie, who I think has largely ended up forgotten despite doing a lot to steady the ship), and in particular the fact she's quite likeable by the standards of politicians. She's also gay, which was quite a big deal for a the Tories at the time. The Greens had Patrick Harvie as a gay leader, but the Greens having a gay leader is a trillion times less notable than the Conservatives.

So it's not all about independence, but the fact that the SNP have gone for another referendum this soon after the first failed has definitely given them a shot in the arm.

Alternatively, it's just that everyone is awful and the worst possible outcome will almost always triumph. I dunno.

All right, thank you for explanation - I probably could have realized that myself, but currently I look at British Isles politics from horrified Brexit angle :stonklol:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Tbf David Coburn and Kezia Dugdale are respectively gay and bi and that didn't do much for UKIP or Labour.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Polling is likely to be erratic at the moment. Nobody really knows whats going to happen until the negotiations are completed, so polling independence voting intentions is about as accurate as sticking a finger in the air and concluding it's going to rain. This of course will not stop the press from continuing to make said polls in order to create spin.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Tbf David Coburn and Kezia Dugdale are respectively gay and bi and that didn't do much for UKIP or Labour.

David Coburn is a loving clown though, not sure being a gay clown is any different from a straight clown, and Labour are both a disaster in their own way and certainly never had the same taint as openly homophobic that the Tories had in recent years. It's far from the sole reason, it's probably just a minor one, but it all combines to go a long way towards making the Conservatives palatable in a way they weren't under McLetchie or Goldie.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

David Coburn is a loving clown though, not sure being a gay clown is any different from a straight clown, and Labour are both a disaster in their own way and certainly never had the same taint as openly homophobic that the Tories had in recent years. It's far from the sole reason, it's probably just a minor one, but it all combines to go a long way towards making the Conservatives palatable in a way they weren't under McLetchie or Goldie.

I know, I just think it's kinda cool that Scotland only has one straight party leader.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Coohoolin posted:

The Tories were unique in having the historical stigma of being the "nasty party" that was intolerant of ethnic minorities and LGBT people, so having a gay leader represents a clear break from the past for them in a way that isn't applicable to other parties.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Davidson has certainly done an astonishing job in making Scots willing to vote Tory again, partly by being personally charismatic and apparently not too awful by Tory standards, but in no small part by disassociating herself as far as possible from the Conservative brand. When I last had Tory leaflets through the door you could be forgiven for thinking she represented the Ruth Davidson Party, because it barely even said "Conservatives" anywhere on it. Hopefully people will remember at the polling station that a vote for her is still a vote for May and the Westminster Conservative party.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Speaking objectively, she's an absolutely brilliant leader for a minority party in a small country, she makes Dugdale look like she's here on work experience. I like Ruth Davidson, and I loving hate the Tories.

I'm not sure I'm fully on board with the idea that the Scottish Conservatives are now seen as the party of the No voter, but can't deny the stigma is vanishing based on the polling data coming through.

It's a really, really, really bad time for Labour.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 25, 2017

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Davidson has that nightmarish quality for a conservative. She's likeable.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Labour don't do enough to attack the Tories, they're too hung up with the SNP. I've only seen stuff like this from SNP types.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Labour don't do enough to attack the Tories, they're too hung up with the SNP. I've only seen stuff like this from SNP types.

Haven't seen it but people seem to have said good things about Kez's speech attacking the Tories today

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

forkboy84 posted:

Haven't seen it but people seem to have said good things about Kez's speech attacking the Tories today

Me neither but from what I heard Kezia ripped into Ruth when it came to the Rape Clause and everyone seemed to think that was the best Dugdale has done in a while.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I got a nice leaflet from the Tell Nicola Sturgeon Scotland Doesn't Want A Second Referendum Party Featuring Ruth Davidson, which for some reason mentions neither the council or general election so who knows how long this has been in the works, but I wanted to draw your attention to the included dodgy bar chart which I've seen doing the rounds online already:

fun fact: 28 is closer to 14 than it is to 47.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Niric posted:

This is totally unrelated to anything, but a new paper has just been published re-examining the way alcohol consumption is estimated in Scotland. Nothing especially surprising in the findings (self-reported consumption is a piss-poor measure for multiple reasons; people, and especially men, drink too much; alcohol consumption is highest amongst males in deprived areas), but interesting nonetheless, and worth mentioning since it suggests that alcohol-related issues are worse than previously thought (and they were already thought to be bad), and that alcohol consumption by men in deprived areas has been under-estimated thus far.

This wasn't published back in March 9?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Angepain posted:

I got a nice leaflet from the Tell Nicola Sturgeon Scotland Doesn't Want A Second Referendum Party Featuring Ruth Davidson, which for some reason mentions neither the council or general election so who knows how long this has been in the works, but I wanted to draw your attention to the included dodgy bar chart which I've seen doing the rounds online already:

fun fact: 28 is closer to 14 than it is to 47.

loving hell this sort of thing should be illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

loving hell this sort of thing should be illegal.